Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > North American Summer Tour 2018!
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 05-25-2004, 02:07 AM

Twain hits the mark in hit-laced Q-C stop

By David Burke

Shania Twain tries her darnedest to be all things to all people.

Her hits of the past nine years have been an almost-50/50 hybrid of country and pop-rock. She sings about female empowerment to please the women, and her looks are eye candy for the men.

That all came to fruition Monday night at The Mark of the Quad-Cities, where a capacity crowd of about 11,000 saw the Canadian chanteuse give a genuinely crowd-pleasing 90-minute show.

Derek Anderson/QUAD-CITY TIMESShania Twain gives high-fives to fans as she plays for a capacity crowd Monday night at The Mark of the Quad-Cities

Playing in the round, Twain logged a mile in laps on the circular stage, not only singing but signing autographs, gathering gift flowers and giving high-fives to fans.
The singer conducted a raffle to benefit River Bend Food Bank, through Second Harvest, that brought two fans on stage for a Polaroid and autographs. In two separate songs, she brought five girls — two preteens and three teens — on stage to sing along with her on “You’re Still the One” and “I’m Gonna Getcha Good.”
After one extended absence, a spotlight came up on Twain sitting halfway up the lower bowl of The Mark with her guitar player, stunning fans nearby while singing “The Woman In Me.”
And she ended her main set with “If You’re Not In It For Love (I’m Outta Here)” accompanied by eight local high school drummers.
Twain’s entrance at The Mark was also a surprise, as shadows on a screen showed Shania in her full “Man! I Feel Like a Woman” video garb yelling “Let’s go, Moline!” But the real Twain came darting through the audience to make her entrance, following members of her band who made their first appearances a la the 1990s Chicago Bulls. Nearly every song was punctuated by a brief burst of fireworks.
Twain sold every song of the night, even earlier hits that were combined into medleys. She may not have the best range or the most quality voice of the current crop of country singers, but she knows how to deliver.
The 38-year-old introduced the first of her eight band members, who in turn introduced each other in the only portion of the show that dragged. It did, however, give the singer time to make the first of two costume changes for the night — from a magenta halter top to a red-and-black sport top to a lemon-yellow shirt.
Opening the act was Canadian country act Emerson Drive, which has learned a thing or two about playing to the audience from Twain.
The band — much improved from a 2002 Mark date fronting Toby Keith — played their hits including “I Should Be Sleeping,” “Fall Into Me” and “Last One Standing,” and managed to turn U2’s “Where the Streets Have No Name” into a C&W song, and mixing Charlie Daniels’ “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” with riffs from Bon Jovi and Led Zeppelin.
David Burke can be contacted at
(563) 383-2400 or dburke@qctimes.com.

http://www.qctimes.com/internal.php...ews&c=2,1028685
Old 05-25-2004, 03:10 AM

Nice review...... thanks for posting Jud !

But does anyone else feel that the reporter has written his review back to front ? He starts with the high-fives, teens on stage, even mentioned sports jersey first before the yellow top, then ends with Emerson Drive ? Curious.......

Perhaps he was watching the "video" in rewind-mode ?

Good review though....... so I'm pleased

...........\\!//
..........(@@)
--o00---(_)--00o--
Old 05-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Rookie, my baby

Send a message via AIM to Kringlegirl Send a message via Yahoo to Kringlegirl
Where do I begin????? The drive was good...lol. Some how I made a 4:40 hrs. drive into 3:20 hrs. Perhaps helps when I don't stop for gas, food, rest stops, and doing 80-95 mph all the way down I-88 when no one was on it or having the fear of the arena running away from me...lmao.

Before the concert I bought in in my "Winona State" sweatshirt so I can hide my camera in it just in case. I walk into the security check and they notice the camera sticking out under the sweatshirt. They ask me what it is. I tell them while showing the camera. They let me in anyway. I buy a tour book and two extra for people turn out 32.00 or 34.00.
I finally get into the stage view and find out I'm stuck sitting next to the power cords for the sound so anytime I have to get up for someone to walk by, I have to watch these cords so I don't trip or fall onto my ***.
6th row on the floor is still good seat but not being behind couple who kept kissing, touching, and talking kind of killed my view a little when I'm only 5'3 or 5'4.
Shania wore her famous two tone colored tank top with black pants for the first. Red & black Bodyglove shirt with black pants for second. Third, yellow t-shirt with "John Deere" written on the first and "Up! Moline" on the back of black writing with black pants. She even talked about John Deere for about minute which I REALLY WANTED TO SCREAM "Case is better" or something like that since I live in the city where Case tractors are made but I figured my *** would of been kicked few times on the way out or Shania would of thought of me as a jerk since she wouldn't know about my background.
She really loved us! We were all hyped up waiting for her to start like and during the show starting the wave, screaming on top of our lungs, and clapping. She seemed like she was having blasted herself which made the concert even better. She performed for 2:00 hours last night

There's lots more but I'm pretty tired to add in more. She did say "Are you ready, Moline" at the beginning of the show.
Kringle-is a wonderful butter layered Danish pastry that was first introduced to Racine and southeast Wisconsin in the late 1800's by Danish immigrant bakers. In its original form, it was a pretzel shaped, almond filled coffee cake.
-Andrea

Last edited by Kringlegirl : 05-25-2004 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:41 PM
From This Moment On!

Send a message via AIM to Mary R Send a message via MSN to Mary R Send a message via Yahoo to Mary R
Thanks for the great review Kringlegirl, sounds like you had a great time! But then we are taking about time with Shania!!!

Thank you too Jud for the newspaper review.

Mary R
Old 05-25-2004, 08:56 PM
Rookie, my baby

There's another article for another newspaper. I bought both of them today before I left Moline. I'll take shots of it later and post it.
Kringle-is a wonderful butter layered Danish pastry that was first introduced to Racine and southeast Wisconsin in the late 1800's by Danish immigrant bakers. In its original form, it was a pretzel shaped, almond filled coffee cake.
-Andrea
Old 05-26-2004, 12:07 AM

You would have been safe mentioning Case - that's in the Q-C's, too. (however, nothing runs like a Deere. )
Old 05-26-2004, 12:41 AM
Rookie, my baby

http://qconline.com/archives/qco/fr...i?prcss=display

Energetic Twain hits The Mark
By Sean Leary

MOLINE -- Let other divas drop their duds and dignity. Shania Twain is proof a female singer can be ultra-sexy, put on a monster show, and still make her fans feel like she's got all the airs of the girl next door.

Twain brought her aptly named Up! tour to The Mark of the Quad Cities Monday night, thrilling a packed house of roughly 11,000 with a very enjoyable, relentlessly buoyant concert. The bill may as well have offered half that crowd as supporting acts, since Twain generously shared the spotlight with her fans when she wasn't gabbing with them or shaking their outstretched paws as she romped about the in-the-round stage.

The night burst open with the grunge guitar and violin stomp of "Man! I Feel Like A Woman" as Twain slinked on stage in a skin-tight crimson tank top and diamond-studded ebony cargo pants. Part glamour, part glam rock, Twain hooked fans from the get-go, melding steel guitar and '80s metal with a boot-slamming "Dolly Leppard" sound.

Hopscotching fiddle notes and rugged power chords buoyed "Don't Be Stupid (You Know I Love You)" as the singer skipped about, collecting bouquets and signing autographs for eager fans.

Midway through the set, raffle winners Jeanie Ryner and Eric Fuller joined Twain on stage for a minute or two of local fame following "Forever and For Always." That merely opened up the floodgates as Twain tore down the wall between her and the audience for the rest of the show.

She surprised everyone by popping up in the middle of the crowd mid-song during "The Woman In Me" and pulled up a couple of pre-teens, Alison and Emma, to help her reprise "I'm Gonna Getcha Good."

Three pink cowboy-hatted kids were invited up to help Twain croon through "You're Still The One," although it took about one verse before the entire arena had joined in on the mega-hit. And an army of Q-C high school percussion students were recruited to pound out the smash "(If You're Not In It For Love) I'm Outta Here."

As if she didn't already have the audience in the palm of her hand long before the encore, she solidified her standing by striding out for the extra set clad in a bright yellow John Deere T-shirt. Leading a shout through "Any Man of Mine," Twain floated merrily through its elephantine rhythm and roadhouse chorus.

Ripping around the stage and slapping high fives while belting out the closer "Rock This Country!," Twain was like a 5-year-old -- post-cake -- at her birthday party. And as purple confetti showered the crowd, a stream of pyrotechnics splashed above the stage and fireworks exploded in the air at evening's end, Twain took a well-deserved bow for that simplest, but most potent, of career-extending moves -- putting on a terrific show and demonstrating a genuine affection for her fans.
-Andrea
Old 05-26-2004, 02:06 AM

Thanks, and this is the picture coming with:

Jenny Butler / Staff
Country and pop star Shania Twain performs 'Honey, I'm Home' during a stop Monday at The Mark of the Quad Cities as part of her Up! Tour.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Rookie, my baby

I took four pics since my dumb digital camera was acting all strange to me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pics 001.jpg (7.1 KB, 293 views)
-Andrea
Old 05-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Rookie, my baby

pic2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pics 002.jpg (8.8 KB, 275 views)
-Andrea
Old 05-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Rookie, my baby

pic 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pics 003.jpg (9.8 KB, 287 views)
-Andrea
Old 05-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Rookie, my baby

here's the pic from the 2nd newspaper. And of course they had to put her on the middle so there's crease on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pics 004.jpg (18.6 KB, 299 views)
-Andrea
Old 05-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kringlegirl
here's the pic from the 2nd newspaper. And of course they had to put her on the middle so there's crease on it.

and it is a good picture too!

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 05-26-2004, 08:27 PM

Hey Everyone,

I am new to the boards, but have been lurking for quite some time now, enjoying reading everyone’s concert reviews as the tour has progressed. So I thought it was finally time to post some pictures and comments regarding the concert I most recently went to.

So here we go, Emerson Drive opened the show from 7:00 – 7:30pm. Shania came on stage around 8:00 and left about 9:40pm. The set list was the same as what has been reported for the last couple of weeks, so no surprises there. It seems she has cut out about 8 songs and 30 minutes from when I saw her last fall, near the beginning of the 1st leg. She continues to perform the songs that she has left in the show with her usual high energy level and gives her typical 150%, however it is evident that she still has some serious voice problems. This was most apparent during TWIM and when she sang parts of YSTO with 3 teenagers that she called up on stage to sing that song. It seems the range in her voice was severely limited and she couldn’t hold the long notes for more than a few seconds. Her voice problems were covered up on the rest of the songs when the band was at full force and the way her mike is mixed, distorts her voice to like a “chipmunk” sound. It sounded totally different from a more “true” sound of what I heard last fall. Don’t get me wrong, all in all it was a great show, but due to her voice problems and subsequent shortened show, the concert didn’t reach her typical gold standard that we all are use to and know she is capable of delivering when her voice is working properly. I think she is trying her best to handle the situation by keeping the tour going and delivering a quality performance for the fans, yet not risking permanent damage to her voice at the same time.

Part 2 - Continued below
Old 05-26-2004, 08:28 PM

Part 2 - Continued from above.

A couple funny moments during the show were as follows. During the 2nd set, she called up two pre-teen girls to sing IGGG. Right before they came up on stage, her necklace fell off and she made one of the girls put it back on her before they could sing. The other girl was wearing a T-shirt that said “Texas” and Shania asked the girl where she got it, and I’m guessing she was expecting an answer of either on a trip or some funky store. The girl said she got it at Kohl’s and everyone in the arena laughed. Shania said to the girl ‘Never give away your secrets.” )

Then later on in the 2nd set, she called up three teenage girls to sing YSTO. About mid-way through the song, one of the girls took the mike right out of Shania’s hand and took off around the center of the stage just totally getting into the song. The look on Shania’s face was priceless as she tried to grab the mike back from her.

Then right before the confetti snow storm during RTC, Shania tried to get one of the guys in the pit to come up on stage with her. She was really tugging at his arm and he was really pulling in the other direction like he didn’t want to go. Then when she realized he wasn’t going anywhere, she bolted up to the center of the stage just in time for the confetti to come down. It was like she was having so much fun dancing around the perimeter, that she forgot where she needed to be in a few seconds.

One other note, instead of the sport jersey, she opted for a John Deere T-shirt. Smart move on her part since Moline is home to the international headquarters for John Deere and most people in the area probably have deeper feelings for that company than any one of the minor league sports teams. When she came on stage with it, she said “I know how you like your John Deere around here.” All in all a good time was had by all, the crowd was really loud and into it. Shania entertained us, and I hope we entertained her as well.

I’m going to attempt posting some photos below.
Post New Thread Reply