Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Board Administrator

Review...
The first single from Lionel Richie’s upcoming album of country duets will be familiar to Shania Twain fans. ‘Endless Love’ was the song she recorded with Richie during an episode of ‘Why Not?’ on OWN. It’s a song Richie wrote and originally cut with Diana Ross, and that version was named the biggest song duet of all time by Billboard.

It’s unfair to compare this version with the original, but impossible not to. The Richie/Twain collaboration lacks the soul that the Motown singer shared with this hitmaker. It’s impossible to argue their individual passion, but together there is little chemistry. Instead of blending like peanut butter and jelly, they mix like peanut butter and mayonnaise. Both are wonderful condiments, but together they confuse the taste buds.

“My love, I’ll be a fool, for you I’m sure / You know I don’t mind / Cause you, you mean the world to me / Oh, I know I’ve found in you, my endless love,” they sing, trading lyrics while sticking close to the original lyrics.

The song builds to an impressive, although slightly exhausting, climax. A little more patience during the early moments would have allowed room to hit the peak and remain there for a few bars without showing strain. “And yes, you’ll be the only one / Cause no one can deny / This love I have its fine / I’ll give it all to you / My love, my love, my endless love,” the couple sings.

Nashville politics limit which song from ‘Tuskegee’ (in stores March 27) Richie could select as a single. More anticipated duets with singers like Blake Shelton and Darius Rucker would require two separate labels to agree, something that hasn’t happened since before Richie released this song the first time. There is clearly plenty left in both of these artists’ careers, but this pairing is a sentimental album cut at best.

http://tasteofcountry.com/lionel-ri...n-endless-love/

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 02-07-2012, 06:02 PM

Peanut butter and mayonnaise?

I don't remember that sensation when I heard the song from the Universal link a few days ago. But I suppose some of the comparisons and impressions are inevitable.

Not sure I ever heard Diana Ross and Lionel Richie do this song as the reported "best duet of all time". I'll have to go see if I can find that someplace to give it a listen. I did like Diana Ross and the Motown sound.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:09 PM

I am really D sick and tired of so called -do good experts telling us what and how to feel.. I've had my fill of it... this so called expert can go *&#@

Who is this jackass anyway
Old 02-07-2012, 06:16 PM
#1 Shania Fan :)

I have never liked the Richie/Ross version. I love Shania's version and would even if I were not a fan of hers. That critic is nuts!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:50 PM

I see the earlier version of this song was done in 1981. I've just listened to that, and also to the current version.

Lionel's voice sounds quieter, less strong and even less resonant in this current version. That might be due to 30 years of aging. It might also be partly due to his wanting to showcase Shania's voice, or match her volume or some other aspect.

I suspect that both Lionel and Diana were in their prime, when they did the original song.

Did not realize that the earlier version was regarded as the best duet of all time. That's quite a challenge for Lionel and especially Shania to take on, in her come back from voice box stricture.

I thought she did very well, when I heard the version several days ago. I haven't heard the cd commercial version yet.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Board Administrator

The two versions are completely different. The old was an 80s power ballad the new one is an uptempo country ballad.

-Chris

Old 02-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Excellent news overall! It is very nice to see and hear her again.....getting back to the business......great things will happen in 2012! This is going to be a fantastic year for Shania fans.....
Old 02-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Board Administrator

I agree FV! Also, to quote Lionel "..welcome back Shania".

-Chris

Old 02-08-2012, 03:49 PM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Let me agree too. She is back. I have put in a request to have it played on my pop station. I have to wait my turn. It didn't happen in today's hour, but I'm sure there were several requests ahead of me. The DJ Sandra is very good about this. She has always done my requests before.

Steve
Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Administrator

I just realized the great timing of the release of the song, with Valentine's day celebrations coming up.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkalot24
I love Shania's version and would even if I were not a fan of hers. That critic is nuts!

This just doesn't make sense. Most people who like Shania will like this. Most people who don't like Shania probably won't. You can't say you would like this song if you didn't like Shania because, simply, you DO like her.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:21 PM

It makes plenty of sense. My point was that a lot of times a person's opinion of a song can be influenced simply by the fact they are a fan of that artist. But this is such a great song, and I would like it even if I were not a big fan of hers simply because it is good music.

I'm not really sure the point in your questioning the meaning of my post or how much sense you think it makes. It really serves no purpose.

And yes, I can -- and in fact did -- say that.

Last edited by talkalot24 : 02-10-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:13 PM

Old 02-11-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkalot24
It makes plenty of sense. My point was that a lot of times a person's opinion of a song can be influenced simply by the fact they are a fan of that artist. But this is such a great song, and I would like it even if I were not a big fan of hers simply because it is good music.

I'm not really sure the point in your questioning the meaning of my post or how much sense you think it makes. It really serves no purpose.

And yes, I can -- and in fact did -- say that.

Yes. Makes total sense now.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:29 AM

Good. I wouldn't want to lose sleep at night worrying if it did make sense.
Post New Thread Reply