Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 09-29-2011, 04:56 PM
#1 Shania Fan :)

Accused Shania Twain stalker: I'll plead guilty

TORONTO — A man accused of stalking Shania Twain interrupted testimony in his trial Thursday and declared in an outburst that he would plead guilty.

Giovanni Palumbo is charged with three counts of failure to comply with a court order and criminal harassment by watching and besetting.

The Canadian country singer testified via a video link Thursday that the former Ottawa doctor's lovelorn letters and unexpected visits at her family cottage made her feel uncomfortable. She said she had to hire security for a family gathering at her Ontario cottage because Palumbo was seen repeatedly parked in his Lamborghini down the road.

And she also alleged that Palumbo visited her brother-in-law's auto shop with a supposed car issue because he wanted to be closer to her. "The manipulation scared me a bit," Twain said.

After roughly 90 minutes of Twain's testimony, Palumbo — clad in a rumpled black suit and wire-frame glasses — abruptly stood and announced that he'd had enough.

"Eilleen, you can trust me, I'm going to plead guilty," he said, using Twain's real first name.

"I've been offended too much, your honor."

A court recess followed. The trial had been scheduled to last three days.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.wral.com/entertainment/story/10201638/
Old 09-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Board Administrator

What a wack

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 09-29-2011, 07:01 PM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Agree. He's just one of a large bunch of whacks. It is unreal how many things such as this come up every day. Well, maybe this will make Shania feel a little better.

Steve
Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Administrator

I am hoping he will now finally be sent to jail.....!!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Administrator

It's finally over:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...king-trial.html

Shania Twain's alleged stalker changes plea to guilty
CBC News

The man accused of stalking singer Shania Twain changed his plea to guilty on two charges on Friday.

After a morning of testimony from Twain, the lawyer for Giovanni (John) Palumbo told a Toronto court that his client would be changing his plea.

Palumbo pleaded guilty to a charge of criminal harassment and to breaching a court order.

The former Ottawa doctor will now undergo a psychiatric assessment at the Royal Ottawa Hospital.

The trial has been underway for two days in a Toronto courtroom.

Palumbo had earlier interrupted Twain's testimony for the second straight day while the Canadian superstar was testifying via video link from an undisclosed location in Europe.

Palumbo jumped to his feet to say he didn't know Twain had received his letters.

The outburst came as the country star was telling the court about numerous letters she said Palumbo had written to her, including one she described as "scary."

Palumbo was charged with criminal harassment and not complying with court orders to stay at least 500 metres away from her. He allegedly got too close to the singer during the Juno Awards.

On the first day of the trial on Thursday, Palumbo interrupted the proceedings to say he was guilty — but the trial continued.

"Eileen, you can trust me. I'm going to plead guilty," he blurted out, using Twain's former first name.

Despite the admission, the trial continued into its second day.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Administrator

http://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...fXAL_story.html

Shania Twain says she has compassion for man accused in stalking case

By Associated Press, Updated: Friday, September 30, 3:21 PM

TORONTO — Canadian country star Shania Twain testified Friday that she has compassion for a man accused of stalking her but remains concerned that he will continue to pursue her.

Giovanni Palumbo has been charged with three counts of failure to comply with a court order and criminal harassment. He pleaded guilty Friday to the charges after pleading not guilty earlier this week.

The former Ottawa doctor allegedly sent Twain a series of letters, made unwanted visits to her family cottage in Ontario and even attended her grandmother’s funeral before being arrested at a Canadian awards ceremony this year.

Defense lawyer Gary Barnes said Friday during Twain’s cross-examination that Palumbo simply didn’t realize that Twain wasn’t interested.

But Twain, appearing via video link from an undisclosed location in Europe, didn’t see it that way.

“I’m torn emotionally because I have compassion for anybody who’s reaching out in need — fans often do that,” she said. “I feel very sad ... and awkward having to go through these very personal matters with Mr. Palumbo because it’s such an invasion of his privacy.”

However, Twain said nothing she heard at the trial made her feel differently about Palumbo.

“I still have the fear and anxiety of being contacted in the future by Mr. Palumbo. And I do want it to stop,” she said.

For the second day in a row, the process seemed to become too much for Palumbo, who was clad on Friday in a rumpled black suit and navy slip-on sneakers.

Twain was recounting the contents of numerous letters allegedly sent to her by Palumbo when the former doctor leapt to his feet and addressed the court loudly.

“But I didn’t know you received any of them — you understand?” yelled Palumbo, alluding to why he persisted in corresponding with Twain.

“It is very emotional for everybody,” Palumbo said, addressing the judge. “Please understand I have emotions, very strong emotions.”

On Thursday, Palumbo had a similar outburst declaring: “Eilleen, you can trust me, I’m going to plead guilty.” Twain’s real first name is Eilleen.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Administrator

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...king-trial.html

CBC News
A courtoom sketch shows John Palumbo of Ottawa watching testimony from country-pop superstar Shania Twain. A courtoom sketch shows John Palumbo of Ottawa watching testimony from country-pop superstar Shania Twain. ((Natalie Berman/CBC))

The man accused of stalking singer Shania Twain changed his plea to guilty on two charges on Friday.

After a morning of testimony from Twain, the lawyer for Giovanni (John) Palumbo told a Toronto court that his client would be changing his plea.

Palumbo pleaded guilty to a charge of criminal harassment and to breaching a court order.

'He [Palumbo] upset the lady he loves. Who's not going to be sorry about that?' — Lawyer Gary Barnes

The former Ottawa doctor will now undergo a psychiatric assessment at the Royal Ottawa Hospital. He will be back in court on Oct. 18, either to face sentencing or to be found not criminally responsible.

Palumbo's lawyer, Gary Barnes, said his client got no satisfaction from getting to see and listen to Twain.

"He feels terrible. He upset the lady he loves. Who's not going to be sorry about that?"

The trial has been underway for two days in a Toronto courtroom.

Palumbo had earlier interrupted Twain's testimony for the second straight day while the Canadian superstar was testifying via video link from an undisclosed location in Europe.

Palumbo jumped to his feet to say he didn't know Twain had received his letters.

The outburst came as the country star was telling the court about numerous letters she said Palumbo had written to her, including one she described as "scary."

Palumbo was charged with criminal harassment and not complying with court orders to stay at least 500 metres away from her. The court heard he got too close to the singer during the Juno Awards.

Twain also said that Palumbo arrived outside her Muskoka-area cottage in both a boat and a Lamborghini, showed up at her grandmother's funeral, and sent her flowers in Switzerland.

On the first day of the trial on Thursday, Palumbo interrupted the proceedings to say he was guilty — but the trial continued.

"Eileen, you can trust me. I'm going to plead guilty," he blurted out, using Twain's former first name.

Despite the admission, the trial continued into its second day.