Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 12-01-2002, 11:37 PM

Well, we will see very soon, how this article will go through Europe, and what the press will ask her from now on...
Like, today she's in the UK, and they don't hold back.Not to mention the TV-quotes, etc
I'm hope it will not make her image too much demage.

BTW Time is out here too, i would like to have for the new fans she's making here get a better insight on Shania.

So , what you think, how much demage this article will cause to Shania's image (not between die-hard fans)?

quotes like this:
It is worth paying attention to these pronouncements, even though Twain, who is Canadian and thus constitutionally averse to star trips, never quite means what she says. On a brisk October night, with the bleat of Paris traffic in her ears, the Twain fiat is this: she is going to stop singing in public. "I never burned to perform, and I don't care if I ever perform again," she says. "I have no need to do that."

First in line among the things she has no need to do is Star Academy, a French reality game show in which marginally talented young aspirants live in a house and vote one another out on the basis of their progress in becoming slick professional singers."
-----------------
Now we all know, how this part was manipulated by the writer, since the straight quote:I never burned to perform, and I don't care if I ever perform again," doesn't necesserily means, she's stopping to sing, but how this reflects on a general reader?

As more as I read this .... I'm sure, that it's not because the writer is ignorant, he did know really well what he's doing: it's a personality/image-killer.

Last edited by Jud : 12-02-2002 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:23 AM

As Chris suggested, the staff is preparing a response to Time Magazine which will express the concerns shown here and we'll let you know what's what as soon as possible. I'm hoping Time will see fit to publish what we write. It's about all we can do. The chief burden of setting the record straight will fall on Q-Prime and Shania herself.

The best I can say about the situation is that Time Magazine readers, for the most part, buy the magazine to read about political and international matters. People who are really into the music scene will be reading the upcoming Rolling Stone Shania issue which should be much better.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbspock

I meant first, I just didn't type it.

-Chris

Chris you are correct. Shania Twain is the first, however, like Viva said, Celine is next and the Chicks are also double platnum.

Now, total sales, Shania is still ahead on her platnum Tandem I would suspect, the WIM and the COO

Ken
Old 12-02-2002, 05:41 AM

This is disgusting....

I agree this is obvously taken from different old articles...

..I reckon he had to get an article out and it was 5pm on a friday night, and wanted to get down the pub, so he said"oh well, I'll just bang out some old **** to get paid!"

She has said that performing live is what she loves. She has said "it is her reward" ...she is a bar singer, a live singer...

She has also denied that no sex thing, cos how the hell did she have Eja ? (??)

Also, Mmutt is renowned to be a nice person, who supports anyone he works with...

When I next visit the Queen for a cup of Earl Grey and a Cumcumber sandwhich, I shall display my disgust for this mag...
... maybe she will cut off their heads!

....I would of thought Time should know better
Old 12-02-2002, 10:38 AM
Brazilian Member

Send a message via MSN to Marco
BTW! Thank GOD this S*** wasn´t released before the CD!!!!!!!!!!

........ I hope Q-Prime does something SOON!!

Marco

Thank You Shania!
Old 12-02-2002, 11:23 AM

Old 12-02-2002, 12:06 PM
#1 Shania Fan :)

Gorgeous cover, but it just doesn't match. The cover is nice and has the words "Shania Rules" on it. However, inside is a very bad "hack" article. Boy, that cover sure is deceiving!
Old 12-02-2002, 03:01 PM

start a e-mail and letter campain.....

Start e-mailing and writing TIME, better yet, cancel your subscription to TIME, if you have one.
Complaining here does nothing.I surprized people are surprized by this. This is nothing new and it is the media. What did you expect.? They call her " middrift bearing" PLEASE HOW IMMATURE AND SEXIST.
This could have been writing buy a poster at ,"country weekly"
I don't think Shania needs to explain herself to her fans.
SHE has said many times she loves touring.
This was writen by some jerk who wants to further their own career.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:19 PM

Re: start a e-mail and letter campain.....

Quote:
Originally posted by canadarocks
Complaining here does nothing.

Don't be too sure of that. We have influenced events before and are taking some behind-the-scenes actions right now.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:36 PM

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!

YOU PEOPLE GO GET UM. Let us know if there is anything else us fans can do??????????
RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2002, 03:44 PM
Suspended

Um. I'm a litle late in getting into this article. A recurrent theme seems to be Shana's and Mutt's search for commercial success.

""Mutt's got absolutely no shame about being a commercial record producer," says Joe Elliot, lead singer of Def Leppard. "

Can someone explain to me why it is such a bad thing to want to write and produce music that people like?

Roger
Old 12-02-2002, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger

Can someone explain to me why it is such a bad thing to want to write and produce music that people like?

Beats me. I guess it's the theory that if the common masses like something it can't be "real art." That's a tough view to defend on the evidence. The general populace has better taste than elitist critics give them credit for. What's commercial and what's quality are often the same thing. I'm certain the Mona Lisa is a more viable commodity than my drawing of a stick man. Does that mean my stick man is "true art" and Da Vinci's product is too commercial to be respected?
Old 12-02-2002, 04:11 PM
Suspended

"I am a commercial singer. When I write a song, I'm thinking about the people who are going to be listening to it. The whole process is done with that in mind. I hear other singers say, 'What I do is artistic, and I do it for myself.' I don't get that. If you're making it just for yourself, why sell it?"

These words from Shania are about the most honest I have heard from a professional artist.

I take photographs. My mother used to paint. In each case, we do it for the joy of creating something beautiful. That is its own reward. I have no interest in peddling anything the public. Once you decide to make a business out of your art, then, if you are to be successful, you have to decide what is marketable. In any business, the customer is always right. If you are in show business, you work backwards from what the public wants. So Shania and Mutt have decided to make a living out of their music. So naturally they take into consideration what the public would enjoy. There is nothing shameful or crass about that. It is just smart business.

So even if the Langes have set their sights on producing the best selling pop album of all time, is there something wrong with that? The music they produce for such an album may not be as personally significant as music they produce just for themselves, but if it brings joy to tens of millions of people, it is a whole lot less selfish artistically than stubbornly sticking to a style you know few will like.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:24 PM

I agree entirely, Roger. And when a true artist applies their artistic ability to creating art that will be commercial the end product is ... art! I understand that there is good art that is not commercially viable for some reason or the other. There is also slickly produced psedo-art that is meant merely to meet a current fad. Neither is probably as common as generally thought (IMHO). If you look at a list of the 20 most commercially successful albums of all time you will see the very best that popular musicians are capable of producing. People are different so everyone will see a couple albums and think, "What is that doing here?" But almost anyone looking at the overall list, seeing the very best of the Eagles, the Beatles, Michael Jackson, etc. would admit that they were looking at fine art even if much of it wasn't their personal "cup of tea."
Old 12-02-2002, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Beautiful Photos!

I have bought my copy of the US version of TIME magazine....(Raider where did you find that other cover? is that one from the UK?)..anyways, Uli weber is the photographer and there are 2 new photos in addition to the cover one...Great photos, wonderful job...on the first one (the larger one) Shania is sitting on a couch...pink blouse on and large blue jeans....a sort of forced smile though...
In the second photo, which I am attaching here, there is a close up of Shania's face...beautiful! There are also several photos we have already seen before.....Funny thing..the Shania article comes after a 10 page article on "The Age of Arthritis"..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg time02.jpg (56.9 KB, 606 views)