Watch Shania LIVE from Las Vegas - Feb. 28!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
Shania's UPClose and Personal DVD! Click to Order
[] Latest Shania News!
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Shania Twain Centre
[] Board Code of Conduct!
Click to Order Greatest Hits CD!
Please Support Shania's Cause!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > North American Tour: Summer 2015
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 07-02-2004, 01:50 AM

Greenwille preview

Thanks to Finnfreak

Up and Up

Shania Twain hasn't finished ascending the top-selling artist list

By Donna Isbell Walker, dwalker@greenvillenews.com ENTERTAINMENT WRITER

The Recording Industry Association of America lists on its Web site the top-selling artists of all time.

With 42 million albums sold, Shania Twain is No. 29, sandwiched between Santana and Journey. If the number of albums sold is surprising, what's even more thought-provoking is that Twain has reached those heights with, essentially, four albums.

One of those discs, her self-titled debut, has comparatively negligible sales, hitting the platinum mark six years after its release and never going higher.

That means three of her releases have sold a collective 41 million, including the monster hit "Come On Over," which has gone platinum 19 times since its 1997 release.

What's also striking is that a decade ago, only a handful of music fans outside Canada had heard of Twain. Which means that unlike Santana, whose first album came out 35 years ago, and Journey, which debuted in 1975, Twain has sold all those records in a mere nine years.

There are probably several reasons for Twain's phenomenal rise. First, the music is bouncy, catchy, closer to pop than rock. That's probably because the tunes are co-written by Twain and husband, Robert "Mutt" Lange, the producer who has worked with rockers like Bryan Adams and AC/DC.

As she told Blender magazine last year, "What you hear is the collaboration between the two of us. As a producer, Mutt wants to make music that is succinct and sensible. He is an instrument, his whole physical being."

The songs are written from a distinctively female perspective. In her songs, Twain puts smug, womanizing guys in their place ("That Don't Impress Me Much"), demands a little respect at the end of the workday ("Honey, I'm Home"), and reminds her man that her love endures ("Forever and For Always").

And of course, her flowing hair and supermodel's figure can't hurt either.

Twain herself dismissed the focus on her looks. As she told Rolling Stone writer Gavin Edwards last year, "I'm just a singer. I just happen to have cheekbones that look nice in photographs."

WHO: Shania Twain with Emerson Drive

WHEN: 7 p.m. Friday

WHERE: Bi-Lo Center

HOW MUCH: $46 to $81

CALL: 864-233-2525

THE WOMAN IN HER

- Twain was born Eilleen Regina Edwards Aug. 28, 1965 in Windsor, Ontario.

- She took the last name Twain from her stepfather and changed her first name to Shania, which is Ojibwa for "I'm on my way."

- Eja D'Angelo Lange, Twain's son with husband Robert "Mutt" Lange, was born Aug. 12, 2001.

- Her latest album, "Up!," sold 874,000 copies during its first week of release and has gone on to sell 10 million.

- Twain's list of awards includes back-to-back Entertainer of the Year nods from the Academy of Country Music, in 1999 and 2000.

http://greenvilleonline.com/enterta...04070134429.htm

Last edited by Jud : 07-02-2004 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:24 AM
Board Administrator

Man, it must be easy to be a newspaper writer. Everything is all cut and paste.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 07-02-2004, 07:33 AM

Donna Walker is pretty much quoting what we have been saying all along but I don't mind someone else trying to explain it all over again...All that means is more people will read about Shania Twain and recognize what a remarkable woman she truly is as I have done last year...

Benjamin
Old 07-02-2004, 12:58 PM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Twain herself dismissed the focus on her looks. As she told Rolling Stone writer Gavin Edwards last year, "I'm just a singer. I just happen to have cheekbones that look nice in photographs."

Yep, a singer with cheekbones will do it every time!

Steve
Old 07-02-2004, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve F

Yep, a singer with cheekbones will do it every time!

Steve

Especially like the set of cheek bones that Shania Twain has...Classy...And always smiling too...Enough so to melt the heart of any Shania fan and get lost in her eyes then totally forget what you were going to say when you got on stage with her...

Benjamin
Old 07-03-2004, 12:01 PM

Twain shops downtown, sizzles on stage

Posted Saturday, July 3, 2004 - 12:00 am

By Paul Alongi
STAFF WRITER
palongi@greenvillenews.com

Shania Twain belts one out at the Bi-Lo Center on Friday. (Patrick Collard/Staff)

Shania Twain put on a Clemson University football jersey, posed for a photo with an Anderson man and told a nearly packed Bi-Lo Center on Friday night that she went shopping in downtown Greenville.
The singer with the supermodel body helped a few thousand in the Upstate start their Fourth of July weekend not with a firecracker bang, but with a country twang.

Kimberly Abdella, who considers herself a classic rock fan, left the arena with a curled-up cowboy hat on her head.

"I'm not a country fan, but she made me enjoy this concert," the Fountain Inn resident said.

Fans along the front of the stage held aloft T-shirts, CDs and cardboard signs. Twain signed autographs while singing.

Ann Morgan-Smith and her daughter, Megan Smith, of Williamsburg, Va., missed Twain's show in Richmond so they drove more than seven hours to see her Greenville appearance.

"She has some really, really beautiful music," Morgan-Smith said. "The lyrics, the music beautiful."

At the start of the show, a shadowy figure in a top hat appeared behind a curtain. "Are you ready, Greenville?" a voice boomed.

The crowd shrieked.

"I said are you ready, Greenville?"

An even louder shriek ripped through the arena.

The curtain rose as the first note of "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!" pounded. But no one was underneath. She had tricked the audience.

Twain, wearing a sparkling gray tank top and tight black pants, ran up the side of the stage.

Spec. Bradley Coffey of Anderson attended the show in his camouflage uniform with other members of a Greenville-based Army Reserve unit.

The ticket was complimentary for what he said may be his last concert before he ships out to an unknown destination overseas.

"It's good to be appreciated," Coffey said.

Twain told the crowd that she shopped in Greenville, including a visit to artist llyn strong, and found a place for a maple walnut ice cream cone. "I had to wait half an hour to get it, but it was worth it," she said.

Twain, 38, has sold 42 million albums in her career. She has made her name with sugary love songs and catchy pop tunes that have a country twang.

After leaving the stage before her encore, she came back wearing an orange, No. 17 Clemson jersey. Most of the crowd cheered, although a few booed.

"Wow!" she said. "You guys are really worked up!"

On a foray into the crowd, she met an Anderson man who told her he didn't like country music until he heard her. Twain posed for a picture with the man and met his sister before saying hello to two shy little girls and returning to the stage.

The round stage sat in the middle of the arena floor so fans spent as much time watching her from behind as the front. An eight-member band backed her up. One of the drummers wore ski goggles and a violinist had a flame pattern on his jeans.

Jennifer Deakin and Glenda Menger came with Twain concert T-shirts and an agenda.

They planned to hoist signs imploring Twain to "Pick us to sing, please!!!"

"We want to be in her shoes for one night," Menger said. Twain is known for pulling fans on to the stage and letting them sing.

Twain, who was born in Canada, now lives in Switzerland with her husband, Robert "Mutt" Lange, who produced her album and has also worked with AC/DC, Def Leppard and Bryan Adams.

Twain's lyrics give an unflinching female perspective on love, fashion and having fun. In "That Don't Impress Me Much," she says that being Brad Pitt isn't enough to keep her "warm in the middle of the night."

Her latest album, "Up!", comes with two CDs featuring different mixes of the same songs. The red CD has a bouncy, Top 40 feel, while the green disc has more of a Nashville twang.

Her show in Greenville was the last stop on the "Up!" tour before the Fourth of July weekend. She heads to Orlando, Fla. next for a show on July 6.

At one point, the lights came on and she told the crowd to sing along with "You're Still the One."

"Thank you! Good job," she said at the end. "Beautiful voices here in Greenville."

Staff writer Paul Alongi can be reached at 298-4746.
http://greenvilleonline.com/enterta...04070334506.htm
Old 07-03-2004, 12:35 PM
Board Administrator

Twain told the crowd that she shopped in Greenville, including a visit to artist llyn strong, and found a place for a maple walnut ice cream cone. "I had to wait half an hour to get it, but it was worth it," she said.

I guess no one found out it was Shania. I guess she had her Eilleen glasses on. Any idea who that artist is???

-Chris

Old 07-03-2004, 12:40 PM

Let's see if she's so determinated for that ice creem, I can imagine what happens when she's deciding or want something bigger or more important....
Old 07-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud
Let's see if she's so determinated for that ice creem, I can imagine what happens when she's deciding or want something bigger or more important....

I wonder if she was worried about getting found out in that half hour?? Shania sure is good at blending in. If she had Eja with her, that would be even more of a cover for her. No one is really looking for Shania with a kid.

-Chris

Old 07-03-2004, 02:01 PM

Hey all,

I was at the concert last night- it was great. It was funny when she mentioned the ice cream because I love to go to the place where she went. Too bad none of my friends called and asked me to go that night.... The wait in the line is crazy but the ice cream is so good, I don't see how anyone could've not recognized her cause everyone is packed in that line like sardines.

And she wore a Clemson jersey (my future home) so good for that. The Carolina fans weren't too happy but they already had their night in Columbia. There's much more to say but I've got to go to work now so I will check back in later.

-Megan
Old 07-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by UnstickyPostIt
Hey all,

I was at the concert last night- it was great. It was funny when she mentioned the ice cream because I love to go to the place where she went. Too bad none of my friends called and asked me to go that night.... The wait in the line is crazy but the ice cream is so good, I don't see how anyone could've not recognized her cause everyone is packed in that line like sardines.

And she wore a Clemson jersey (my future home) so good for that. The Carolina fans weren't too happy but they already had their night in Columbia. There's much more to say but I've got to go to work now so I will check back in later.

-Megan

Definitely come back and tell us everything!!!!

Shania walked through Madison Square Garden in dress normally, and wearing a Yankee hat, and no one even knew. So it is possible no one new it was Shania standing in line. I think the only thing that would give her away is her accent.

-Chris

Old 07-03-2004, 03:13 PM

Anyways, it's so typical to her, she could have it quicker, but instead she waited in the line....
Old 07-03-2004, 03:24 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud
Anyways, it's so typical to her, she could have it quicker, but instead she waited in the line....

Yep!

-Chris

Old 07-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud

Not to take anything away from Shania waiting in line, but I bet 99 out of 100 "celebrities" would do the same thing. Afterall, most celebrities really do consider themselves "normal" people. Especially out in public.

- Tommy
Old 07-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by muzikguy94
Not to take anything away from Shania waiting in line, but I bet 99 out of 100 "celebrities" would do the same thing. Afterall, most celebrities really do consider themselves "normal" people. Especially out in public.

- Tommy

I'd lower that percentage, but you are probably right. However you always hear about the ones that make noise, rarely do you hear of people like Shania.

-Chris

Post New Thread Reply