Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 12-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Anne Murray Defends Shania

http://www3.cjad.com/content/cp_art...ws/e121331A.htm

Anne Murray feels apathy, hopes doc reminds public of her accomplishments
Updated at 13:39 on December 13, 2005, EST.

TORONTO (CP) - Anne Murray broke down countless barriers to become Canada's first international female superstar, but these days she thinks most people have forgotten her accomplishments, and admits to feeling hurt when people suggest she's a has-been.

"I feel apathy - not so much in the U.S., but in Canada I do," she said recently over the line from a concert stop in West Virginia. "They don't care whether you can sing. There's a certain amount of apathy involved when people get older and they're still doing it. People go 'Oh no, not Anne Murray again.' "

Murray, who turned 60 this year, was particularly offended earlier this year when critics were lambasting the lineup for the Live 8 music extravaganza.

"When you read headlines like when they were doing the Live 8 show ... 'What was wrong? Was Anne Murray busy?' "

"That's coming from young people and I understand, but get out of here. I spent my life working so hard to get somewhere," said Murray, the first Canadian singer to reach No. 1 on the U.S. charts.

She's hoping an upcoming documentary about her career might change a bit of that attitude.

Airing Thursday on CBC, Anne Murray: The Music of My Life takes viewers through the Songbird's rise to international stardom, hobnobbing with Glen Campbell, Julio Iglesias, Patti LaBelle and Kenny Rogers.

The one-hour special includes also includes new interviews with Murray in which she comments on her song selection process, women's issues in show business and fame in general.

It's a reminder that she was one of the original crossover music stars, able to make her mark in both pop and country. She was the first woman - and the first Canadian - to win the Country Music Association's album of the year award. In 1984 she was honoured in Nashville for her album and single A Little Good News, which had sold more than 12 million copies at the time.

Born and raised in Springhill, N.S., where her 92-year-old mother still resides, Murray began her career in 1966 singing on CBC's Singalong Jubilee out of Halifax. A couple of years later she released her first record.

"It's self-explanatory. It's all there," Murray said of the CBC program. "I showed it to some friends of mine who really didn't know much about the early days of my career and they were fascinated."

"It was interesting to see it through their eyes. They said 'Wow, I didn't realize that. I didn't know that.' "

She added: "I'm hoping that's going to be the reaction from a lot of people. People take you for granted. They don't know a lot of the stuff that has gone on."

And the veteran performer, who has more than 30 albums under her belt, says she sees the backlash happen with other Canadian superstars all the time.

"I saw an article on Shania . . . somebody putting Shania Twain down and this was a Canadian guy," said Murray. "I thought 'What is there to dislike about Shania Twain?' She's beautiful. She sings great. She writes great songs. She's a good person. (FV: Anne gets it!!)

"I look at that and think 'why do people try to look so hard for something bad about somebody?"'

Despite the critics, Murray, who's won 31 Junos and four Grammys, says she has no intention of putting away her microphone just yet.

"It makes no sense to quit just because people say 'Well, it's time to move on.' There are still people who enjoy hearing me sing and hearing Dolly Parton sing and a lot of us veterans."
Old 12-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Who's On First?

Young people have no sense of history in large part and are either too disinterested or too lazy to look back at the history of their music or the prominent stars of the past who made their music genre special and what it is today.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:31 PM
PROUD SHANIA FAN!

My whole family have always been fans of Anne. She is a class act!

Success is related to standing out, not fitting in!
Old 12-13-2005, 04:38 PM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

You bet Anne is a class act. I've seen her live twice. She has an amazing voice. I could listen to her sing for hours and hours. She's that good. I don't understand the treatment she is getting. Stupid, stupid!

Steve
Old 12-13-2005, 07:03 PM

COOL! Nice words from a legend
Old 12-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Board Administrator

You know who sounds like Anne, Lisa Brokop. They have the same singing style. At least someone is defending Shania.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 12-13-2005, 07:37 PM

I agree with that Chris! I just got done reading this article on Yahoo and I couldn't agree more with Anne!! I have been a fan of hers since "Snowbird" came out and I was in my early teens when she became popular in the U.S. I have albums by her and I just bought her recent CD's! Like some of you said, she is a legend and a class act and I'm glad she stood up for Shania!!!!
Old 12-14-2005, 02:05 PM

After I commented yesterday, I remembered seeing Anne and her daughter on a TV show about a year ago. I don't rmemember what station or the program, musical obviously, but the host interviewed her after she and her daughter finished their number. The daughter is much taller than her mother as I remember and also has a very nice voice. They were touring at the time to promote an album they did together. Anne was asked about her native Canada and how her career had gone, etc, One comment she made was how many actors and singers had come from Canada. She talked about Jill Hennessey of Crossing Jordan, Paul Schaffer of the David Letterman Show, etc., and then she mentioned Celine Dion as a favorite, and Shania Twain as a very talented product of her Country. She seemed to say it in a way that gave you the impression she was proud of her. That was all she said, but last night, I remembered Anne had said that. It was a while ago now, and I'm not sure it's the exact words, but close. Just thought I would pass it along.

Steve
Old 12-14-2005, 02:20 PM

I also found this at her website for those who may be interested:: http://www.annemurray.com/

CBC TV SPECIAL! “ANNE MURRAY: THE MUSIC OF MY LIFE” – THURSDAY, DECEMBER 15 - A brand new Anne Murray television special, “Anne Murray: The Music Of My Life” will be broadcast across Canada on CBC TV, on Thursday, December 15 at 9.00 pm. The show follows Anne’s career from her early milestones through to her international star status in both the pop and country music world. The intimate hour-long special takes a personal, music-filled look at Anne’s career, as she shares her favourite musical moments and her most treasured duets with performers such as Glen Campbell, Patti LaBelle, Kenny Rogers and Canadian stars, Bryan Adams, k.d. lang, Celine Dion and others. Mark your calendars now!

A number of fans have written, asking whether this show will be broadcast in the United States or released as a DVD. At this time, there are no plans for an American broadcast or for a video release of the show. As always, any updates on Anne’s career would appear, when confirmed, on Anne’s website.

Steve
Old 12-14-2005, 03:14 PM

She is still beautiful. Is there something in the water in Canada that they age so nicely?
Old 12-14-2005, 05:58 PM

One of the times we went to see Anne, I got a ticket for my Dad to go with us. I remember him saying at the time that "oh, your mother likes her a lot, but she's not the old country I like, she's more pop." Gee, that doesn't sound familiar does it? :floor Anyway, the night finally came and we went. Dad tapped me on the shoulder during the show and said something like "boy was I wrong, this lady can really sing, she's great!" Yep, Dad "got it" that night!

We all know there is a huge difference in listening to a CD and being in the audience. What better example of that is there but Shania. The times I've been to Shania's shows, it seems they are over so fast, it seems sad, almost withdrawal, yet at the same time, you are so high from watching and listening. What a ride.

Steve

Last edited by Steve F : 12-14-2005 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Board Administrator

Feeling forgotten
-- Anne Murray tells the Canadian Press that she thinks most people have forgotten her accomplishments, and admits to feeling hurt when people suggest she's a has-been.

"I feel apathy -- not so much in the U.S., but in Canada, I do," she explains. "They don't care whether you can sing."

"There's a certain amount of apathy involved when people get older and they're still doing it. People go 'Oh no, not Anne Murray again.'"

This should help you out in country music. Use the word "Rockin'" in every sentence (Example: "These scrambled eggs are rockin'!"). And as you're performing "Snowbird," flash bogus gang signs. :floor

-countrynation

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 12-14-2005, 08:10 PM

I know exactly what you mean Steve! The first time I ever got to see Shania in 2003, I was so caught up in all the excitement of being there and seeing her, the show goes by so fast and it's like, ok, what did I just see and then when the concert is over, you feel so down and you want to see it again or you don't want Shania to leave!! I just hope I get to see her again sometime!!!

Also, I remember some years ago seeing an Anne Murray Christmas Special on TV with her daughter and it was really good!!
Old 12-15-2005, 06:13 PM

I think we pretty much know right now that Shania will sell out almost every night the next time she tours. That's rare considering that she spends a lot more time away from touring than she does doing it.

For example, we just had Kenny Rogers here for his annual Christmas concert with Rebecca Howard and Billy Dean. I don't know how they did in past years, and I realize maybe at Christmas time you won't do nearly as well, but they only had about 2,500 attend it. We don't have a big civic center, but it holds about 7,000 for a concert. I would bet $100 that Shania would sell out our civic center in the middle of the night on Valentine's Day and -20 F.

Steve
Old 12-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Who's On First?

Rebecca is the only one I would want to see.
Post New Thread Reply