Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 PM
Board Administrator

Shania Twain Q+A, Part 1 and 2

Shania Twain Q+A, Part 1: New life in Las Vegas, conquering fears of singing again

ountry pop queen and five-time Grammy Award winner Shania Twain admits that even after 17 years of recording and performing, she’s still nervous every night she steps onstage. “I will probably always get butterflies. I would forget where I was sometimes, just out of panic. I am sure I will have that as well here in Las Vegas. Fortunately, it dissipates once I get out there,” said the Canadian superstar, who is one of the bestselling female artists in music history.

In one of her first interviews since arriving here last week, Shania talked with me Sunday at length about her new Caesars Palace show and its horses, her new gowns and how she’s only here because of her younger sister Carrie Ann, who will be one of her three backup singers in the new Colosseum show premiering Dec 1.

We’ll have all that in the second part of our interview Tuesday, but today our talk focuses on how she’s going to live in Vegas -- and last week’s incredible arrival on horseback on the Strip. Shania cleared up a misunderstanding that the horse she rode on was not El Alcazar. That’s her white horse that appears in all her show photos and in the Caesars Palace hotel commercial.

“He’ll be onstage with me,” she said. “We’ll also have onstage the horse I rode on the Strip for the arrival, Molesso. I don’t know why everybody got them confused. He’s the black horse and Alacazar is the white Spanish horse you see me with.”

It’s the point at which we began chatting.

Robin Leach: You sure know how to make an entrance!

Shania Twain: Well, you know I love to ride horses, so that was a fun thing to do.

R.L.: What is it about you and horses?

S.T.: Horses calm me. I love being around them. They smell great, they are beautiful to look at, they are loving, demanding, temperamental, and they settle you. The other day riding down the Strip on that horse, that was the first time I had ridden on that horse, so I don’t know that horse, which is a dangerous thing to do. It is not something that I would do every day.

When we got to the red carpet, I thought this horse may not go on the red carpet, he may decide, “No, I’m not going on the red carpet.” Horses don’t like change, for example, of going from concrete to whatever, the sound change, hard lines or anything like that. So, I’m thinking all right, I’ve got to stay completely calm and completely relaxed, no matter what.

If I am going to stay safe on this horse, because I don’t know what he is going to do, but at the same time, I have to act like everything is OK and that I am not thinking too much. So, horses really get you to stop, think and reflect. It is good for me, and you have no choice but to really just keep your cool. It is hard to do that when you are excited, because I was very excited to see everybody, and I had to keep it cool because of the horse.

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Board Administrator

R.L.: I thought the horse was -- to put it politely -- pretty frisky following 40 lady horses. Some carrying foals, but all female, and he was definitely “interested” in all of them!
S.T.: This is why he probably was more animated than usual; he wanted to just be with the pack, of course. I thought, OK, I am just going to go with the flow. I have ridden horses for many years, but when it is a horse you don’t know, you don’t really know what they are going to do so; there was an element of that. I guess that is what I love about them. I love being around them for that reason. They just demand your focus and concentration, and it is good for me. It is good therapy for anybody.

R.L.: Are you going to ride on a regular basis while you are in Las Vegas?

S.T.: Oh, yes. I hope so. In fact, when I was here, just visiting, earlier on this year even before we started rehearsals, I saw a couple of mounted police riding down the Strip, with the traffic, with the cars and everything, and I thought I’d love to do that sometime. I wonder if I could organize that? Just to go on their police horseback duties -- and at that time we hadn’t planned our arrival ride down the Strip.

R.L.: I love the idea of you being policewoman Twain for a shift!

S.T.: We should have gone down Twain Avenue, but it was all good, it was really fun. I have to ride there and get a photo taken under the street sign.

R.L.: Las Vegas has really opened its heart to you and welcomes you. We know that you live in Switzerland, the Bahamas and have a tiny log cabin hidden away in some mystery forest in Canada, but now you are calling Las Vegas home for two years, maybe longer. Does it feel like home yet?

S.T.: Definitely. It really does. I am surprised, to be honest. My producers AEG do such a good job, and Caesars Palace, they are just all so good at this. I thank Celine [Dion]; I honestly do because she has been here for so long. I think everybody has learned how to make the scenario work through the experience of Celine. And any artist who comes here. I am just totally happy here. They have just done a great job of making me feel at home, and I totally do feel it already. I’m going to truly miss it when I take a little break between our shows.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Board Administrator

R.L.: Are you going to get involved in the Las Vegas community over the next two years? And the outdoors?

S.T.: Well, I sure hope so. Once the show is underway, and it’s not day and night as it is now, I am definitely ready to get out and just enjoy life around here, for sure. Go hiking, golfing, going out to the canyons. I think that would be wonderful. I actually miss getting out and doing that stuff. My schedule just doesn’t allow it right now, but … I will be out playing tennis. You’ll see me just getting out.

I would love to do some charity work, actually. I look forward to doing that. We have already been out to visit Andre Agassi’s school that he put together. We are well aware of that, so we plan on going there and doing some things out there with them. I know about Keep Memory Alive and its Cleveland Clinic Center for Brain Health. I look forward to hearing more about it.

R.L.: Shania, go back in time for a moment when Lionel Richie came to the Bahamas and talked you into performing again after such a long absence when you couldn’t sing. Now you are actually going to be on the stage at Caesars. You’ve got the lion’s den test shows coming up next week, and then the world premiere a week from Saturday. Are you over the nerves? Are you 100 percent back to normal? Do you still get butterflies?

S.T.: I will probably always get butterflies. So many nights, I would start my concerts with “Are you ready, Chicago? Are you ready, Denver?” before I walked out, and I would forget where I was sometimes, just out of panic. It’s a last-minute rush that comes over you, and of course you know where you are all that day, but that moment comes right at the last minute. I did that even when I was doing this regularly with the early tours, so I am sure I will have that as well here in Las Vegas. Fortunately, it just dissipates once I get out there.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Board Administrator

R.L.: You are still in contact with Lionel? Has he wished you well for Caesars Palace? Is he coming to see you?

S.T.: I hope he does come. We have to talk about that. He is such a great supporter. He is just super; he really encouraged me. He was a great coach when I really didn’t think I could, when I was not ready to sing anywhere. Forget make a record. I was just like, “Oh, no, I can’t, I can’t, I can’t.”

R.L.: But you are over all of those doubts now, completely, right?

S.T.: Oh yeah, I have recorded with David Foster, and he was also really great. He was like you can do this, and then Lionel Richie, you can do this. Gladys Knight said the same thing. Everyone has just been really supportive. I feel like I have to walk my own walk; you have to go through the process.

Just being out on the stage now is familiar. I already feel very at home on the Colosseum stage. None of that feels foreign at all. I had to bring myself to a point where I was back on the stage again and not just in the studio, so that has been my own journey. Nobody can encourage you; you just have to do it, physically just get out there and do it. So, that is what we are doing.

I think what will be new will be the reunion of seeing the fans again. That will be what I haven’t experienced in a long time. That will probably create a lot of adrenaline.

On Tuesday, Shania reveals secrets of the show: why her sister gets credit for her agreeing to do the residency; which horses will be in it; the glorious gowns she’ll wear; and the moments she knows she’ll cry at every night.

Robin Leach has been a journalist for more than 50 years and has spent the past decade giving readers the inside scoop on Las Vegas, the world’s premier platinum playground.

Follow Robin Leach on Twitter at Twitter.com/Robin_Leach.

Follow Vegas DeLuxe on Twitter at Twitter.com/vegasdeluxe.

Follow VDLX Editor Don Chareunsy on Twitter at Twitter.com/VDLXEditorDon.

-Chris

Old 11-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Board Administrator

If Shania wants to play a police woman, she should guest on Rookie Blue

-Chris

Old 11-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Board Administrator

I guess that Shania doesn't realize the horse in the photos is black not white

-Chris

Old 11-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Board Administrator

-Chris

Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Board Administrator

Part 2 --- Thanks to Carrie Ann for pushing your sister...

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/201...n-support-marc/

Superstar Shania Twain has revealed that if it wasn’t for someone special in her life, she would never have agreed to the new run of “Still the One” shows at the Colosseum in Caesars Palace.

On Monday in Part 1 of my interview with the Canadian country-pop princess, she credited supporters including Lionel Richie, David Foster and our hometown “Empress of Soul” Gladys Knight with helping her overcome fears to sing again.

Now in Part 2 today, you’ll learn who had to say “yes” to performing onstage with her before Shania agreed to sign her Las Vegas contract. Here is a YouTube video of her official announcement in June 2011.

Robin Leach: Shania, that stage in the Colosseum is about to become your home. It’s big and overwhelming. You conquered your fears to get into a recording studio again, but this is your first time back on a stage with a live audience. How do you feel already rehearsing on it?

Shania Twain: I feel great on it. It is a great stage. It doesn’t feel as big as it looks. It is well laid out. It is a very comfortable stage in every way.

R.L.: You’ve got your sister up there for support in the backup singers?

S.T.: Carrie Ann is two years younger than me. It’s comforting that family is out there with me. It is just so great. I love it. I am so glad she is doing it. She is not a professional singer, and I convinced her to do it with me. She sounds exactly like me. It is incredible. We have identical voices. She just never wanted to do it professionally, but I finally got her onstage with me, and it is exciting.
She had nothing to do with music at all. This is what I said to her. I said, “I am not going back on the stage unless you come with me. So if you say you’ll come with me, I’ll do it. Otherwise, I am not doing it.”

R.L.: So is she the reason you are here in Las Vegas?

S.T.: Yes, pretty much. She decided to do it. It’s like jumping off a bridge; I’ll do it if you do it. So, this is now what we are doing. She leads a very normal life up in Ontario, and now suddenly she’s singing on the Strip. That’s quite a story in itself.

R.L.: Celine Dion, Justin Bieber, Avril Lavigne, Alanis Morissette, Michael Buble, David Foster, you and your sister. I’m convinced that there’s something in the water in Canada.

S.T.: There is something especially great in Celine’s water, whatever she has! I have heard well wishes from her through many people. She is such a lovely person, and I’ve been backstage a couple of times when she wasn’t there and I saw Rene [Angelil, Celine’s husband], and Rene is just lovely and passes on hugs and kisses. They are just wonderful people. I’m in her dressing room, so I hope all of her success rubs off on me.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:04 AM
Board Administrator

R.L.: My sources tell me that Marc Bouwer’s designs for your costumes are going to make every woman in the world drool with envy. Six gowns in all!

S.T.: Marc has done a super job. I am excited about wearing the clothes. Just yesterday we were doing regular rehearsals, and bits and pieces of the clothes are being finalized, but I had one pair of the boots to wear, and I stuck them on with my rehearsal clothes and something changes. When you put his clothes on, first with the shoes, it is just like wow, everything is different now.

The live stage is a whole experience. It is a visual experience as much as it is an audio experience; otherwise, you would just listen to a record. There is a reason why we have all these elements. The clothes are important, and Marc is doing a super job.

R.L.: What do you want audiences to take away from the experience with this show?

S.T.: Well, I just hope they have a great time. I am there to make people happy, and I want them to walk out of there and go, “Wow, that was a great show.” I just want them to enjoy it and love it. There is a lot of variety in the show because my life and my career have had so much variety. I think just to be able to say they have experienced something that they have never seen before will be the best compliment.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:09 AM
Board Administrator

R.L.: Is there a favorite moment that you already have in this show that you have created with your director, Raj Kapoor?

S.T.: That is a tough one. I think the one I am enjoying the most, at the moment, is the medley. I can’t really explain why, I don’t know, I have got to do the show more to really fall into my favorite place, to be honest with you. But then there’s also the most emotional moment in the show. I hope I don’t cry. If I do, that is OK. I will just cry. I don’t want to tell you because I want you to see it. I know you’re coming to see it on opening night, but I want you to experience it and me not tell you in advance.

R.L.: What secret can you tell me? I know the video is the most extraordinary mapping overlay that has ever been created for a show.

S.T.: That is true. Technologically speaking, it will be awesome. Well, what can I tell you? There will be a live horse in the show. It will be El Alcazar. He wasn’t the horse I rode in on for the official arrival. That was Molesso, and he will also be in the show if you want to know that, too. Alcazar is actually the white horse that is in all of the ads, and that is the actual horse that is in the show. The one that is in the Caesars commercial.

Don’t come thinking they are going to light up like Robert Redford did.

We are not doing anything like that. It is a lot of production, but it is not a Cirque du Soleil production. It is more organic. There is a real contrast of organic and technology. That balance is really the beauty of the show.

R.L.: You saw this show in your head, obviously, before you started putting it together with Raj. Has it come together the way that you first envisioned it?

S.T.: Oh, definitely. It had to evolve because everything I wanted simply wasn’t possible. So one idea replaced another. I rolled out the whole storyboard, and then we just narrowed it down, and in some cases we added or came up with new ways of doing things that I wanted to do. It is all happening, and the whole personal story is there.

The way it has turned out has me very happy. Raj is wonderful in every way. He’s got such a cool head, and I am like a bossy boots down there. He is just so nice all the time. It is amazing. It is just really lovely. It is good, and I think we are still working really well together. I am happy with everything and everyone.

What we already have accomplished is wonderful. I’m so excited because everybody else gets more excited. Nobody, except for me and Raj, really has the full picture yet. So, as everybody is going through rehearsals, they still have never seen the whole thing at this stage.

We’ll run it full in bits and pieces this week just before Thanksgiving for the first time. I want the stage full on for the lion’s den test previews. We start those next Tuesday, and then we’ll know it all for sure.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:12 AM
Board Administrator

I can’t believe we have finally reached this point. It has been a journey; I am not terrified. I am not fearful. I am now ready.

We’ll meet again with Shania the day before her Dec. 1 world premiere for last-minute updates, and then we’ll have a report and photos of opening night.

Robin Leach has been a journalist for more than 50 years and has spent the past decade giving readers the inside scoop on Las Vegas, the world’s premier platinum playground.

Follow Robin Leach on Twitter at Twitter.com/Robin_Leach.

Follow Vegas DeLuxe on Twitter at Twitter.com/vegasdeluxe.

Follow VDLX Editor Don Chareunsy on Twitter at Twitter.com/VDLXEditorDon.

-Chris

Old 11-21-2012, 10:07 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

What an awesome interview!!! That picture of Shania and her horse seems like it's in HD compared to previous ones.

Steve
Old 11-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Board Administrator

I would love to see an interview with her sister. What was she thinking!!!! Although she did mention in Why Not? that she saw this whole thing as a way to pay back Shania for helping them when they were younger when their parents died and Shania had to give up her dream temporarily.

-Chris

Last edited by cbspock : 11-21-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:48 PM
♡ Mone ♡

Thanks for posting this.
So there will be a horse on the stage? Awesome. I love horses too, and I am really curious how she'll fit a horse in the show.
And her sister will be doing backing vocals? I was already hoping so, since I loved her singing in the why not show thingie.

I cannot wait! Only 9 more days to go!!!

Mone: People who say you cannot buy love, obviously never owned a horse like my Mone.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Brazilian Member

Send a message via MSN to Marco
You guys please tell everything to us!! lot's of reviews

hugs,

Marco

Thank You Shania!
Post New Thread Reply