Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Albums > Greatest Hits CD
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 05-27-2004, 05:42 AM

Greatest Hits album is official: 2004

UMG significantly improved its operating income

Operating income was a loss of E16 million versus a loss last year of E28 million. This improvement was driven by cost savings, particularly lower marketing and overhead expenses. This was partly offset by the margin impact of the drop in sales volumes and the increase in amortization expenses as a result of a reduction in the catalogue amortization period from 20 to 15 years as well as higher restructuring costs.

Major new releases for the remainder of the year include new albums from 50 Cent, Mariah Carey, Eminem, Nelly and U2 in addition to Greatest Hits from Jay Z, George Strait and Shania Twain.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...210&newsLang=en
Old 05-27-2004, 06:05 AM

Of course this also means, that there might be maybe one more single released from UP!, in the best case, but no more.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud
Of course this also means, that there might be maybe one more single released from UP!, in the best case, but no more.

And if it isn't "I Ain't Goin' Down" (which it probably won't be), that would mean that the most "Country" song on UP! will never be released to Country radio. Makes no sense. It really seemed like there was no coordinated single release plan for this album. Songs were changed at the last minute; videos that should have been done, weren't; singles weren't heavily promoted. And whose idea was it to give "It Only Hurts.." to GAC first, when past history told them that CMT would then bury it? Well, let's hope there are some new cuts on the Greatest Hits album, although it wouldn't surprise me if there weren't. That would be par for the course.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:31 AM

I know I start to sound like Cato maior about Carthago, but that was the "support" and "promotion" department from Mercury.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:39 AM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by tides24
And if it isn't "I Ain't Goin' Down" (which it probably won't be), that would mean that the most "Country" song on UP! will never be released to Country radio. Makes no sense. It really seemed like there was no coordinated single release plan for this album. Songs were changed at the last minute; videos that should have been done, weren't; singles weren't heavily promoted. And whose idea was it to give "It Only Hurts.." to GAC first, when past history told them that CMT would then bury it? Well, let's hope there are some new cuts on the Greatest Hits album, although it wouldn't surprise me if there weren't. That would be par for the course.

Unless she releases it as part of the GH CD. This will keep her name out there, for 2005, so a new studio album could be out end of 2006 for Christmas.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain

Last edited by cbspock : 05-27-2004 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:00 AM

That's great ! I'm glad GH is coming out - about time too !

And hopefully with some unreleased bonus tracks.

Yeah, I agree with Jud, Mercury has really made a mess with the promotion of UP! and releases of its singles. Don't seem to have any co-ordination or thought process. All very fickle and haphazardly organised ! Ssshheesshh...... get your act together guys !

I still have my money on a new studio album out in 2006 though

...........\\!//
..........(@@)
--o00---(_)--00o--
Old 05-27-2004, 07:07 AM

End of 2006 is too far away.

A GH album got to release one or two new singles - if there will be new songs on Shania's collection. As the singles are going, and Shania is not really highly preferred right now at country radio, the singles will be over by the middle of 2005. Till the end of 2006 it is too much time.

The follow up studio album must come out in late 2005, the latest early 2006, but with the leading single out in 2005..

(Of course if there will be a new studio album...)

Last edited by Jud : 05-27-2004 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:24 AM
...one Freaky Finn...

Once again, the predictions Jud has presented are pretty much the same way I'd see the albums coming out...

John -
Old 05-27-2004, 07:29 AM

Woohoo!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 07:46 AM

Great news sorta... I agree some of the best songs have not even been released.. I know we have them as a gift from her but it still saddens me that the average listener who might have loved these songs will never get to hear them..UNLESS they could be included in greatest hits... which could happen I guess..

there seems to have been and organized effort to bury her which will never make any sence to me - ever!!! Such a stupid decision and her allegiance to this label is - unless locked into a contract of course - something I will never understand...
Old 05-27-2004, 07:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to nds76
I kinda have mixed feelings on this. I personally feel it's too soon for a greatest hits package. JMO I feel less incentive to buy a greatests hits album because I would already have all the songs. But usually, 1 or 2 new songs are added to the greatest hits.

I would rather see an album with the extra songs that were made that didn't make the cut for the other albums.

A live album would rock for sure! Or maybe something acoustic!

David
Old 05-27-2004, 07:52 AM

Exactly... What is the incentive to buy the cd unless new tracks are included... that is for the casual fan..

Of course It doesn't matter to me.. I would BUY it even if she sang the alphabet!..
Old 05-27-2004, 07:59 AM

I guess the GH is to attract the market niche of average listeners who haven't yet own a Shania CD (why, I don't know...... chuckle). So it's good in the sense that those who don't want to buy the whole album, can now get all hits on one CD.

Another good thing about this GH coming out is that the countdown to get out of the Mercury contract draws nearer (based on the assumption that GH counts towards this commitment "release" ).

...........\\!//
..........(@@)
--o00---(_)--00o--
Old 05-27-2004, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sas
there seems to have been and organized effort to bury her which will never make any sence to me - ever!!! Such a stupid decision and her allegiance to this label is - unless locked into a contract of course - something I will never understand...

I am agree with you t some extent here. Mercury stopped the support and promotion at the very first moment received back what probably invested into this album. And I would say, it was since around january-february 2003.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:17 AM
Brazilian Member

Send a message via MSN to Marco
WOW! That's GOOD NEWS! Thanks Jud!

At the beggining I think everyone may have a mixed feeling about this GH CD... but if we think properly this might be the best thing to do!

- IF Shania has a 5 CDs contract with Mercury... this will be the end for this label! - I hope so!

- At international markets where Shania has not sold all she could with her last 3 CDs, this GH should be perfect! (Brazil is a good example).

- I'm sure there will be some new songs in the GH!! And Shania must have some nice songs ready... or almost ready... that didn't make the cut for "UP!". Since it's a GH she didn't have to make a NEW project, with diferent sound etc...

LETS THINK POSITIVE!!!!!!

I believe there will be a NEW CD with new songs by the end of 2005 or midle of 2006!

I'm sure we'll be all here to suport her.. no matter how long it takes!!!!!!

Hug from Brazil!

Marco

Thank You Shania!

Last edited by Marco : 05-27-2004 at 08:38 AM.
Post New Thread Reply