Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > North American Tour: Summer 2015
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 06-05-2004, 03:46 AM

St Paul:A hoarse Shania does a talk show

BY ROB HUBBARD

Pioneer Press

If one moment could best capture the mood of Shania Twain's return to St. Paul's Xcel Energy Center on Friday night, it would be the country-pop chanteuse trying to lead 19,918 listeners in a sing-along on her 1997 hit, "You're Still the One," and finding precious few takers, save for the young man she pulled from the audience to accompany her.

But perhaps the crowd's apathy was earned. Maybe Twain isn't still the one for them. The vast majority of the throng sat passively as the made-for-MTV diva did little to get them excited, spending almost as much time on patter and pandering as she did music. A show that was slick and energetic when it played to a record crowd at Xcel in October was interminably dreary this time, drained of appeal by a performer who clearly overestimates the entertainment value of her stage banter.

Of Twain's 100 minutes on the large oval, multitiered stage in the center of the Xcel floor, about a fourth of it was spent chatting with audience members, bringing them up on stage for pictures, autographs and, in one instance, granting requests in a cappella fashion.

Perhaps the hoarseness in Twain's voice could offer some explanation, for after preceding her set by piping in Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" in its entirety she sounded more and more like Stevie Nicks as the evening wore on.

Her vocal troubles were never clearer than when she toned it down for an acoustic version of "The Woman in Me." And perhaps they're the prime reason that a show that contained 24 songs in October had only 16 this time and concluded much earlier, despite a warm-up set by the more energetic "Emerson Drive."

There's much that Twain could have done to inject some adrenaline, but she never let the show establish any flow. Lengthy band introductions after the fifth song were only the beginning. Soon, she was engaging in dialogues with the stage-rushing faithful, leaving most of the crowd to sink into their chairs or hit the concession stand.

That said, while October's show may have been a tad too slick and polished for its own good, there was a becoming roughness about some arrangements this time around. Her eight-piece band has cast off some of the classic country stylings (and wardrobe) of early in the tour, looking more like the early-'80s Clash and giving things some rock 'n' roll crunch.

But it all fell by the wayside when Twain started chatting about her visit to Marshall Field's or interviewing audience members, leaving one to wonder if she's as excited about making music as she was seven months ago.

Rob Hubbard can be reached at rhubbard@pioneerpress.com or 651-228-5247
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinc...cal/8844309.htm
Old 06-05-2004, 03:54 AM

Outch!!!

But the crowd number is jsut amazing! After a record breaking (20,550) concert 7 month ago drawing back 19,918 people is just amazing.
Contrary to what the reviewer said, it just shows, that she's still the one!

And its way fnny to read the writer's consclusion; she may doen't like to do music as 7 months ago? Now from where is it came to him? From one less good performance?
Typical journalist dramatization....just like the statement she nmay not be the one, just drawd 20,000 people twice to the same place.

Last edited by Jud : 06-05-2004 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:16 AM
Who's On First?

I let this reviewer know what I thought of him and his review.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:06 AM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by AINAHS
I let this reviewer know what I thought of him and his review.

They just don't get it. Shania seems to be better off when she doesn't have time off between shows. Well, one more month to go, and she can rest her voice.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 06-05-2004, 08:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to resessions
A hoarse Shania is still Shania. I don't mind at all. I love the fan interaction thats happening in the concerts now. Every concert has its' unique thumbprint now because of it.

That critic just doesn't get it. If you count the Up! concerts including Ireland, HydePark and Chicago, I have to think that it's at or past 100 performances by now. Even at just 16 songs per concert, thats 1,600 performances. I'd like to see that guy or anyone else keep up with that pace. She could opt to just cancel but thats not what Shania ia about....She's a winner and won't quit. I'd rather have only 10 songs per concert than no concert.

Shania, YOU GO GIRL !!!!!!! Thank you. I bet the St. Paul show was FANtastic !!!!
Old 06-05-2004, 08:34 AM
Board Administrator

Plus in another review on the OFC, someone said that Shania almost canceled since she said Eja has a fever.

I agree with the fan interaction, it is the only time that the fans can interact with Shania. That was what Shania wanted.

-Chris

Old 06-05-2004, 08:34 AM

It was the 94th concert (without the 3 pre-tour concerts and the specials)

I think Calgary will be the 100.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud
It was the 94th concert (without the 3 pre-tour concerts and the specials)

I think Calgary will be the 100.

Then considering half the concerts at 24 performance and half at 16, plus Ireland, Hyde Park, Chicago and the specials, she is already close to or at 2,000 already. No wonder she's feeling hoarse. Anyone would be at that rate.

Thank you Shania!!!! We Luv ya !!!!
Old 06-05-2004, 09:05 AM

I'll volunteer to sing evening lullabye's to Eja. After all I was the Karaoke winner at the last STC convention....maybe that'll help
Old 06-05-2004, 09:32 AM
Administrator

I cannot wait to hear Grace's review when she gets back...
I think Shania's interaction with the fans is very important especially because we do not know when the next tour will be...cheerish these concerts dearly..!
Old 06-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by cbspock

They just don't get it. Shania seems to be better off when she doesn't have time off between shows. Well, one more month to go, and she can rest her voice.

-Chris

I guess we can say the hoarse is coming down the home stretch!

- Tommy
Old 06-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by muzikguy94
I guess we can say the hoarse is coming down the home stretch!

- Tommy

-Chris

Old 06-05-2004, 01:30 PM
tower

I am puzzled at the Critic suggesting that the crowd were not interacting. I find that very difficult to believe. I wait for a Board member to revue this concert.

Poor Shania, when she pleases us the Critics have a go, when she does not please us, the critics still have a go! I think the attendence records being set by the UP! tour and the number of repeat gigs at Sold out venues like Wembly UK, Newcastle, Belfast and Glasgow (UK alone) will be the final Critique!

I worry about her health though, if she was in Huntsville or Timmins area last week when she was off, there is a real NASTY flu bug going the rounds. It almost laid me up and reduced me to sign language. It lasted for 2 weeks and I am still not over it now.

Being a sport I have given it to the whole of Europe by now
Old 06-05-2004, 02:10 PM

I was there...and MET GRACE:)

Well, the critic there obviously wasn't in the same arena as we were...yes, he voice was a bit off at times, but she made up for it with antics that I REALLY liked...signing a lot more autographs, plucking people out of everywhere..even the UPPER DECK! The interaction was great, and I feel she did the best job she could with her voice, which I only caught a few times, off key. I, along with my wife, thought it was a great show...screw the critic....I was there, and had a frickin blast! SHANIA STILL HAS MY PEN! She took it after signing my picture, and said "this one writes very well" lol... She owes me one....and I have a pic to prove it Don't worry board, she wasn't a letdown...*thumbs up* 3C
Old 06-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Board Administrator

Re: I was there...and MET GRACE:)

Quote:
Originally posted by Threecard
Well, the critic there obviously wasn't in the same arena as we were...yes, he voice was a bit off at times, but she made up for it with antics that I REALLY liked...signing a lot more autographs, plucking people out of everywhere..even the UPPER DECK! The interaction was great, and I feel she did the best job she could with her voice, which I only caught a few times, off key. I, along with my wife, thought it was a great show...screw the critic....I was there, and had a frickin blast! SHANIA STILL HAS MY PEN! She took it after signing my picture, and said "this one writes very well" lol... She owes me one....and I have a pic to prove it Don't worry board, she wasn't a letdown...*thumbs up* 3C

Shania owes lots of people here new sharpies.

-Chris

Post New Thread Reply