Watch Shania LIVE from Las Vegas - Feb. 28!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
Shania's UPClose and Personal DVD! Click to Order
[] Latest Shania News!
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Shania Twain Centre
[] Board Code of Conduct!
Click to Order Greatest Hits CD!
Please Support Shania's Cause!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 10-29-2003, 10:23 PM
Board Administrator

'Twain Cities' welcome Shania by filling Xcel Energy Center

MUSIC REVIEW: 'Twain Cities' welcome Shania by filling Xcel Energy Center
BY ROB HUBBARD
Pioneer Press

If you've attended a concert at an arena in recent years, you couldn't be blamed for wondering where the production values have gone in music. Boomer bands once known for eyepopping spectacle have gone the unplugged route, while the new kids on the rock block too often display aloofness and little showmanship.

But rest assured there's still one star who believes in putting on an elaborate stage show in America's arenas: Shania Twain. The superstar plies a lot more pop-rock nowadays than she does the country that brung her, but the show she offers with her nine-piece band rivals anything such stadium staples as the Rolling Stones or U2 have mustered.

On Tuesday night, before the largest crowd ever assembled in St. Paul's Xcel Energy Center 20,554 Twain and troupe delivered an unflaggingly entertaining show bursting with energy and enthusiasm.

Performing on an oval stage in the center of the Xcel's main floor, the group used every inch of the layout to execute the kind of detailed choreography you would expect to find in a Broadway production. Hitting every note in the songs' elaborate arrangements and every predesignated spot on the stage that the production demanded, Twain's musicians almost stole the show out from under her. This was one of the most well-rehearsed shows to hit these parts in some time, with spontaneity at a premium but spectacle to spare.

Twain spent much of the concert's early going walking about on the elevated center stage section in a Minnesota Wild jersey, black parachute pants and wrestling boots, never trying to overstep her limits as a dancer. Among country artists and it's a matter of debate if Twain still fits within that category she and her songwriting partner/husband "Mutt" Lange may understand the catharsis that a fist-pumping arena-rock anthem can create better than anyone. And there were hooks aplenty in Tuesday night's show, be they courtesy of electric guitars or the wandering three-person fiddle section.

Borrowing a high-pitched "Wooo!" from Michael Jackson and punctuating every up-tempo number with it, Twain pulled off her role of accessible diva admirably, shaking hands all along the stage's perimeter and bringing children up to sing along with her. And when she started to seem a little too distant and polished, she pulled the ultimate populist move by delivering "The Woman in Me" from halfway up Section 107.

That was one of the ballads that stood out among the evening's highlights, proving that Twain doesn't need all of the bouncy theatrics to move an audience. She's a strong-voiced singer who has the whole arena diva package. Sure, her lyrics are simplistic and uninspiring, but Tuesday's show was a prime example of how the right amount of razzle-dazzle can cover up almost any shortcoming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Hubbard can be reached at rhubbard@pioneerpress.com or 651-228-5247.
http://www.twincities.com/mld/pione...ent/7128085.htm

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 10-29-2003, 10:25 PM
Board Administrator

The review starts off really well, and he saves the dig for last. He just can't say he liked the show. I hate people like this.

-Chris

Old 10-29-2003, 10:33 PM

He has to dig, otherwise how he could himself a critic?

Good review, the digs at the end can change the first impression of extreamly ggod enjoyable show.
So he doesn't like her music, can't read between the lyrics lines?
That don't impress me much!
Old 10-31-2003, 11:07 AM

Hi Chris !

I was there at the MN concert and took loads of pics of Shania (over 100 of them !). I'd like to attach a few on the board but the file (jpeg) is too big and it won't allow me to attach it.

Do you know how I may go abouts putting the pix up ?

I thought it was a great concert, no matter what the papers say. Shania always gives her best to her audiences and she did put on a wonderful show. I loved it and all my friends loved it too (there were 21 of us). We had to burn 2 x row 3 seats though due to illness

Thanks !

Grace

...........\\!//
..........(@@)
--o00---(_)--00o--
Old 10-31-2003, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Grace
Do you know how I may go abouts putting the pix up ?

To attach the pics, you can resize them, changing its resolution, by using an image software...or you can email them to either Spock or me..

cbspock@shaniasplace.com

fv@shania-twain.org

and we will upload them for you on the server...so they can be shown..

Tell us more about the concert!
Old 10-31-2003, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FV
To attach the pics, you can resize them, changing its resolution, by using an image software...or you can email them to either Spock or me..

cbspock@shaniasplace.com

fv@shania-twain.org

and we will upload them for you on the server...so they can be shown..

Tell us more about the concert!

Thanks for the advice FV ! I have just sent 10 pix to the email addresses above...........

The concert was really really good ! I truly enjoyed it. Shania certainly knows how to please her audience and fans. And I think it was such a wonderful idea for her to sing TWIM amongst the crowd.

She did her usual stuff like signing autographs for some front row folks, high-fiving some people and she brought 2 little girls up on stage with her. She had 3 change of costumes - Minnesota Wild, a cute pink/orange top w/boxing boots and a Minnesota Vikings top.

She looked really happy. One thing that I'd noticed is that I think she may have been a bit tired coz her Honey I'm Home kick wasn't high and in fact, she kinda stumbled backwards ! Initially, I thought she was gonna fall ! And she didn't do many "punches" either. Mind you, she performed in WI the night before (and on Wednesday too), so I guess she must have been a wee bit tired.

Oh, btw, I've just got a "message delivery failure" note for Chris's mailbox. I'm hoping yours is ok FV !

It was a packed out concert........... not a single empty seat....... well, apart from the 2 tickets of ours that we had to burn.......

Oops ! Your mailbox is full too FV !!!

OK, here's what I'm gonna do.......... I'll bring my memory card to the photo shop afterwards and get them to put it on disc for me. they usually do it in "hi res" and "low res"........... so hopefully, I can use the low res to attach to the board........... In the meantime, I'll send you a couple of pics via email............

Thanks again ! Have a good weekend !

Grace

...........\\!//
..........(@@)
--o00---(_)--00o--
Old 10-31-2003, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Grace, I got all your ten pics! I will post them in the Minneapolis thread in the World Tour section of the messageboard soon! THANKS! They are wonderful photos!
Old 10-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Board Administrator

They are definitely wallpaper material!!! I should have them posted soon.

-Chris

Post New Thread Reply