Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > North American Summer Tour 2018!
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 10-28-2003, 01:32 AM
I love you Shania FAFA:-)

Send a message via ICQ to Shania's_Sister
Thanks Mary and Shazzie

Carley

Shania's Fan since 1999 and I'll never forget her concert forever and for always

ShaniaTwainUk Please join our group Thanks
Carley's Blog Please leave a comment thanks guys
Old 10-28-2003, 02:06 AM
I'm Havin' A Party!

Send a message via ICQ to Shunyeuh Send a message via AIM to Shunyeuh Send a message via MSN to Shunyeuh Send a message via Yahoo to Shunyeuh
Your Welcome Sister Carley!

i had fun telling the review! e :LMAO
I Had A Blast Giving Shania The Flowers And Seeing her Reaction! was the best Feeling Ever! Meeting Her Was Awesome! getting the oprah transcript signed was a blast and having her recognize me was cool!
Old 10-28-2003, 02:54 AM

newspaper review!

Not flattering at all, so maybe you guys can send him a piece of your minds:

Twain has it all -- except sincerity

FLINT JOURNAL REVIEW

AUBURN HILLS

THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Sunday, October 26, 2003

By Doug Pullen
JOURNAL ENTERTAINMENT WRITER

AUBURN HILLS - Shania Twain's got it all. A loving husband, songwriting partner and producer. A young son. Staggering record sales. Sexy videos. Critic-proof records. The savviest marketing this side of Madonna. Adoring fans, about 40,000 of whom were expected to pack The Palace of Auburn Hills this weekend for a pair of performances by the Windsor-born superstar.

You couldn't ask for more.

Well, you could've Friday night, at the first of Twain's two shows there this weekend.

You could've asked for a few more well-placed hits, fewer songs from last year's overstuffed "Up!" CD, fewer gimmicks and a little more sincerity during the 24-song, 2-hour and 15-minute show's sluggish midsection.

Maybe she could cut down on all those exclamation marks in her songs titles while she's at it!

The 38-year-old country-pop star has said she opted to stage her latest, in-the-round concert extravaganza well after the 2002 release of "Up!" so audiences would have plenty of time to get to know its 19 songs.

Having sold roughly 8 million copies of the CD around the world, chances are pretty good that her fans have gotten to know its typically slick, stylish, radio-friendly mix of romantic and upbeat songs, released simultaneously in pop and country versions, pretty well.

That doesn't mean they want to hear half of them in concert.

Crowd response was predictably enthusiastic when Twain, decked out in a Detroit Red Wings jersey bearing captain Steve Yzerman's No. 19 for much of the show (Twain, who switched to an oversized Pistons jersey for the encore, has been wearing home team jerseys at each stop on her "Up! World Tour"), dipped into her extensive catalog of monster radio (and video) hits.

All three hit singles from "Up!" - "I'm Gonna Getcha Good!," the energetic title track and the ballad "Forever and For Always" - were well-received.

But the crowd - which ranged from grade-schoolers to grandmas - curbed its enthusiasm for many of the nonhits from the new CD. Sometimes, Twain and her equally photogenic band seemed as listless as the audience on new songs like "I'm Not in the Mood (To Say No)!" and "C'est La Vie."

Many in the 20,000-strong crowd sat in their chairs and applauded enthusiastically only a few songs into the show, rising occasionally when she dropped in a hit, ventured from her perch atop the two-tiered, oval-shaped stage to saunter around the stage's outer ring or venture into the crowd to sign autographs and share the microphone.

Heck, even the two squirming little kids in front of me seemed to lose interest (their hyper mom was another story; their dad looked on with detached bemusement).

Twain, whose limited but pleasant voice sounded strained and flat on some of the ballads, makes a point of interacting with the crowd. Her band members descended the stairs from the main concourse to the stage in the middle of the arena floor to start the show (newcomer James Otto opened).

With an impostor silhouetted on-stage, Twain made her own entrance through the floor crowd, who would've mobbed her had they realized she was there.

She performed one song, "The Woman In Me (Needs The Man In You)," with her guitarist from some blocked-off seats in Section 104 (a beefy security guard had to motion an awed little girl out of the camera angle).

She read aloud some of the numerous signs dotting the crowd, agreed to pose for pictures with a couple of birthday girls (and one's aunt, who insisted on standing next to the country goddess), and brought up the ecstatic guy who won a raffle that raised money for Oakland County's Second Harvest food bank.

Noble gestures all, but Twain didn't seem very natural or comfortable doing any of it.

Between the erratic architecture of the song order, the programmed interruptions, the lack of spontaneity and the apparent audio augmentation of the band (harmony vocals and some of the strings, particularly on "Thank You Baby!," sounded prerecorded), Friday's show lacked the cohesive energy that is so vital to Twain's live shows.

Twain has the looks, the voice and the songs. She just doesn't have the ability - or maybe it's the confidence - to make a true connection with her fans. That, not gimmicks, is what make a concert experience truly great and memorable.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we...in%20AND%20date(all)&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date&xcal_useweights=no

-----------------------------
here is the e-mail:
dpullen@flintjournal.com

Last edited by Jud : 10-28-2003 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:01 PM

Well, sometimes you get more attention by being bad than good. A local nobody ragging on a person of nearly unparalleled success, is just trying to get attention, I suspect.

There is only the hollowest shell of truth in some of the pieces of what he said. His selective interpretations reveal more about his ability, or lack thereof, than the ability of Eilleen (Twain) Lange.

I especially disliked his comparison to Madonna, as if she were the most appropriate role model for femal performers to aspire to. I live in Michigan and grew up in Wisconsin. I am more embarrassed than proud of both Madonna, and this somewhat arrogant, and somewhat out of touch reviewer from Auburn Hills and the Flint Journal.

I've seen Shania in an early concert. I've yet to complete my review. The performance was not perfect. But the fan connection and their reaction is too far away from what this reviewer thinks, for his opinion to represent either them or Shania.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:32 PM
I'm Havin' A Party!

Send a message via ICQ to Shunyeuh Send a message via AIM to Shunyeuh Send a message via MSN to Shunyeuh Send a message via Yahoo to Shunyeuh
Noble gestures all, but Twain didn't seem very natural or comfortable doing any of it.

Between the erratic architecture of the song order, the programmed interruptions, the lack of spontaneity and the apparent audio augmentation of the band (harmony vocals and some of the strings, particularly on "Thank You Baby!," sounded prerecorded), Friday's show lacked the cohesive energy that is so vital to Twain's live shows.

Twain has the looks, the voice and the songs. She just doesn't have the ability - or maybe it's the confidence - to make a true connection with her fans. That, not gimmicks, is what make a concert experience truly great and memorable.

grrrr i hate when people say that... its bad enough losing a voice and trying the best to pull it off.. like she did us fans were having to much fun to even notice that.. ! i say she had fun during her interruptions.. of her singing with the audience or signing autographs reading signs or even accepting flowers from all ages! .. we love her .. we support her for who she is not what flaws .. happend just laugh move on and have fun...

Shunyeuh
I Had A Blast Giving Shania The Flowers And Seeing her Reaction! was the best Feeling Ever! Meeting Her Was Awesome! getting the oprah transcript signed was a blast and having her recognize me was cool!
Old 10-28-2003, 07:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to resessions
The critics who are in Nashvilles hip pocket are always going to complain about something.....if she uses recorded strings instead of bringing the orchestra on for a number with string accompaniment, then they will complain that the strings were recorded as they did in this case....if she slows the show down to get the strings on the stage and warmed up to perform, then the critics will say something to the effect that "The set up of the 5 piece string orchestra slowed the concert pace down and would have made the show flow more smoothly if the strings had been pre-recorded". In the end, what really matters is if "we the fans" had a good time at the concert. By what I've read in messageboards like these and what I've personally observed at the various concerts I've been to so far, the word "success" will rise to the top of the heap. Just like Elvis and the Beatles have done, Shania's popularity will long outlive the venom these snakes try to spit her way.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:35 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by resessions
Shania's popularity will long outlive the venom these snakes try to spit her way.

Guess they forget that Shania fans can spit venom too.

dpullen@flintjournal.com

Okay, maybe not venom, but we sure know how to fill up an email box..lol

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 10-28-2003, 07:41 PM
Who's On First?

Lackluster critics are a dime a dozen - Shania is one in a billion - and her entertwaining concerts are grossing millions and selling out.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:03 PM

I don't know what concert this guy was at, but the one I attended was SUPER!

Detfan

''
Old 10-28-2003, 11:05 PM
Who's On First?

Quote:
Originally posted by detfan
I don't know what concert this guy was at, but the one I attended was SUPER!

Detfan

''
Jaded critics are kinda useless.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:53 AM
From This Moment On!

Send a message via AIM to Mary R Send a message via MSN to Mary R Send a message via Yahoo to Mary R
I don't know what concert that guy was at but it couldn't have been the one I was at because the Shania concert I was at was fantastic! You know, those reproters that give their reviews, they don't even have a clue. They don't realize the connection, the bond Shania has with her fans.

Mary R
Old 10-29-2003, 01:19 AM
From This Moment On!

Send a message via AIM to Mary R Send a message via MSN to Mary R Send a message via Yahoo to Mary R
Here's another picture I took, not the best looking, but it sure helps me with my memories of that night in Detroit!

Mary R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ftmo*.jpg (52.2 KB, 103 views)
Old 10-29-2003, 01:25 AM
From This Moment On!

One more!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fafa*.jpg (60.2 KB, 101 views)
Old 10-29-2003, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shunyeuh

grrrr i hate when people say that... its bad enough losing a voice and trying the best to pull it off.. like she did us fans were having to much fun to even notice that..

Shunyeuh

She lost her voice? Did she have a cold or laryngitis recently?

I wonder what she does when that happens.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:42 PM
I'm Havin' A Party!

Thats what the review said not me.. i only cut and pasted that review.. and then i commented about it so it wasnt me who was saying anything before the faces! that was a detroit review!
Post New Thread Reply