Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 12-01-2002, 12:10 PM
Administrator

CBC Special Site

Have you seen this page on the SHANIA Special Interview on CBC? It also has a promo...
http://cbc.ca/shania/about.html
Old 12-01-2002, 12:45 PM
Men are like shoes...

I can't watch the promo. I don't have Real Player. I hope everybody gives us really good details when the show airs. The site had really good pieces taken from the interview. Go check it out!

Men are like shoes....made to confuse
There are so many of them...I don't know which ones to choose!
Old 12-01-2002, 01:40 PM
Suspended

Thanx for the heads-up FV!

I'll watch this program of course but I wish the interviewer were someone other than Benmergui. With his smarmy, sycophantic style this could be a very superficial treatment.

Roger
Old 12-01-2002, 02:06 PM
Who's On First?

Re: CBC Special Site

Quote:
Originally posted by FV
Have you seen this page on the SHANIA Special Interview on CBC? It also has a promo...
http://cbc.ca/shania/about.html
This sounds and looks like at least half of it is the infomercial from Mercury that played on GAC and CMT.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:22 AM
Suspended

Here is the text of a review of the interview by Andrew Ryan in the Globe and Mail:

Maybe we're all getting a little too much Shania in our diets lately.

Shania Twain is grand, of course. A knockout country queen if ever one existed. I can't stand country music and I still think she's brilliant, though probably for the obvious reasons.

Shania is back from an extended break and her new CD, Up!, is topping the charts. She's superrich, a new mom and a good Canadian gal. What's not to like?

The rub is Shania is being foisted upon us all like curly fries or some other horrid menu addition at a fast-food chain. She's everywhere. Not really her fault, if you think about it. She's just playing the game and Shania has become very good at the game, especially the TV-interview part.

Shania Twain: Catchin' Up (CBC, 9 p.m.) is odd and vaguely manipulative.

It's a sitdown between Shania and CBC mainstay Ralph Benmergui. It starts off as a genial interview but morphs into a sly infomercial for her new CD. The message seems to be Shania may be a stunning superstar, but down deep she's really just plain folk.

The interview takes place in a nicely appointed hotel room, somewhere in Switzerland, where Shania lives these days. Shania is dressed down in a baseball hat and a low-cut sweater, with full makeup. She still looks gorgeous and has big hoopy earrings. Ralph has a nifty blue blazer.

She hits the ground running. Shania is just a simple gal who wants the simple life, she insists. Shania lives in Switzerland so she can have a normal life without being recognized. "I wanted to live somewhere where I could go play in the snow and have hot chocolate." What the hell?

Gamely, Ralph presses on. "Can we talk about your kid?" he blurts.

Shania talks about the kid, 16-month-old Eja (pronounced "Asia"), her son with hubby/producer Mutt Lange. Again with the humbleness: "I don't take a special trip to Paris to go to Christian Dior to shop for Eja!" You go, girl.

Shania is damn good at this and steers the interview throughout. She talks about chopping her own wood, though I'm not sure if that's metaphorical or she's saying she actually knows how to chop wood. Probably doesn't matter.

There are a few short breaks in the program, with awe-struck voice-over by Ralph and old photos of Shania as a too-cute kid growing up in Timmins, Ont. There's surreal footage of a gap-toothed, 15-year-old Shania singing her heart out on The Tommy Hunter Show.

Halfway through the interview, Shania just takes over. She doesn't need Ralphie anyway; by this point, he's not asking her questions so much as serving up pithy observations on her greatness. He really is quite giddy.

Shania says she doesn't care about all her millions. "If I had to give it away tomorrow, I would. Fine, okay." Ralph beams away.

The program ends, appropriately, with Shania's newest video, I'm Gonna Getcha Good. It has Shania in skin-tight catsuit and vampire makeup. Shania zips about on a jetcycle through some Blade Runner-esque dimension. I'm not even certain it was country music, but again, I'm not a fan.

It's a letdown because we don't really discover anything about the lady. We learn she has a new son and that's it. Shania doesn't say anything here she didn't reveal in last week's People magazine cover story, or any of the other interviews meted out in measured doses by her record label.

In fact, this is pretty much the same interview Shania served up to CMT and MuchMusic while in Toronto a month ago. CBC is bringing up the rear on this one.

--------------------------------------------------

I did warn everyone Benmergui is sycophantic and this would probably be a superficial interview. Of course I will watch it anyway!...LOL

Roger
Old 12-11-2002, 10:49 PM

That script or those details.......(whatever you want to call it!) sound sort of degrading to Shania. It sounds as if this person doesn't really care much about her at all! It sounds like he's smitten with her body and that's it! If I hadn't seen some new footage in this interview, I wouldn't want to see it.

Amanda