Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > The Former Shania Centre in Timmins
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 08-27-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri
If there is another bus trip, odds are strong that we won't be on it. It was just too much for Cody at times.

I prefer to have my own SUV wheels in Timmins, so I can get to and visit friends in town, after the convention is over (or before the convention starts).

I did like the STC bus tour in 2005. And I would've enjoyed seeing the Deerhurst show in 2006, even though ST fan reviews sounds not as good as when I saw the show a couple yrs ago. So for 2007, I might do like Debbie & Jack, get to Timmins early, and ride the bus both ways, twice.

Don't know if they had to pay double the price for bus trips. Probably not, since the bus had to go that route, anyway.

It seems like Tracy and STC staff might save some funds on the bus, if they could rent one just for Toronto to Timmins and back. Then shuttle with STC van, rental car, or catch a ride from fan friends elsewise, to get to Toronto from Timmins, to pick up the bus, then back home to Timmins from Toronto after dropping off the bus. But there might be some disadvantages to those options.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanb
That's still not definate Steve, I just read a story a few weeks back that Congress may well push the date back further, if not possibly even cancelling the entire plan.

That would be good news. Thanks for the alert.

I've filled out my passport renewal application online a couple months ago, but not sent in yet.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:57 PM

To catch a flight at either Philly international or Newark International to Toronto and taking the bus trip to Timmins along with convention/hotel expenses ... about how much does the trip cost? Would someone be kind enough to give me an estimite?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clegger26
To catch a flight at either Philly international or Newark International to Toronto and taking the bus trip to Timmins along with convention/hotel expenses ... about how much does the trip cost? Would someone be kind enough to give me an estimite?

Thanks!

My rough estimate including the flight from the US, the bus, the hotels, and the convention itself would be about US $1,300...you have to consider 7 nights in hotel, although the hotel expense itself could go down by about US $200 depending which hotel you choose in Timmins..my suggestion to buy the plane ticket is to wait 6 to 8 weeks before the actual departure date, you are flying from large cities, you will not have any problem finding a seat for you...the real thing that has made the whole trip more expensive over the years ( and I have been going to Timmins at least once a year since 2001) is the exchange rate with the Canadian dollar...but I have no control on that..
Old 09-03-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV
My rough estimate including the flight from the US, the bus, the hotels, and the convention itself would be about US $1,300...you have to consider 7 nights in hotel, although the hotel expense itself could go down by about US $200 depending which hotel you choose in Timmins..my suggestion to buy the plane ticket is to wait 6 to 8 weeks before the actual departure date, you are flying from large cities, you will not have any problem finding a seat for you...the real thing that has made the whole trip more expensive over the years ( and I have been going to Timmins at least once a year since 2001) is the exchange rate with the Canadian dollar...but I have no control on that..

And why can't you?!?

thanks, FV. I will see you in Timmins for fancon5 if you are there.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:58 AM

I'm homesick for Timmins.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:24 PM
*~I Love You Shania!~*

Quote:
I'm homesick for Timmins.

I know what you mean, Sheri! I am, too!

Shania's Still The One, Forever And For Always!

I You, Shania!

53 DAYS UNTIL THE FIFTH ANNUAL WORLDWIDE SHANIA TWAIN FAN CONVENTION!!! GET READY TO PARTY HARDY!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV
the real thing that has made the whole trip more expensive over the years ( and I have been going to Timmins at least once a year since 2001) is the exchange rate with the Canadian dollar...but I have no control on that..

Actually the exchange rate makes it better for those of us living here in the USA. As of today's rate, one US dollar buys $1.11 in Canada, so your dollar goes a little bit farther in Canada. That however is the worst rate that I've seen in years. About 3 years ago, a US buck used to be worth $1.25 or more in Canada.

Fancon 3 was a blast! Thanks to all who made it so, including all my new Shania friends.

Shania Twain Centre.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
About 3 years ago, a US buck used to be worth $1.25 or more in Canada.

When I was in Timmins in 2001..1US$ was CAN $ 1.80!!! long time gone though...
Old 09-07-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV
When I was in Timmins in 2001..1US$ was CAN $ 1.80!!! long time gone though...

Please, please tell me that you didn't pay that rate. If you did, then you got majorly ripped off by someone.

The Candian dollar is currently the strongest it's been in ten years against the US dollar. Back in 2001 was one of the lowest points for the Canadian dollar, when one US dollar would buy $1.40 or better. Put another way, during 2001 depending on the month, 60 to 65 cents US would buy 1 Canadian dollar.

Here's a chart from MSN Money showing the 10 year history of the Canadian dollar against the US dollar. This is something that my wife and I watch closely, since she was born in Montreal and still has money there that we've never moved south because we'd loose too much.

Instead we keep it Canada and withdraw it when we go north to visit her dad in Montreal, or when I head for Timmins.

Fancon 3 was a blast! Thanks to all who made it so, including all my new Shania friends.

Shania Twain Centre.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Put another way, during 2001 depending on the month, 60 to 65 cents US would buy 1 Canadian dollar.

Yes, and isn't that exactly what I got..? 1US$=1.80 CAN$ ...60-65 US cents=1 Canadian dollar...
Old 09-08-2006, 01:17 PM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV

I honestly can't remember what it cost Terry and I to go in 2001, but it was a fair amount of cash. $1,300 is roughly what it cost as a minimum for a trip to Memphis for Elvis Week in August. Of course you will end up spending a lot more because of all the activities going on plus souveigners, etc. For example, The tickets for the big "Elvis The Concert" show on August 16th, 2007, go on sale this Tuesday September 12th either online or on phone to Ticket master. They will be $90+ surcharges per ticket. For those who don't know this show includes the entire Las Vegas Band and they do the concert with a digitalized hologram of Elvis. I've never been to one, but those who have say it is eeriliy realistic. They say you feel like he is really there. They've done the show all over Europe and the US. But anyway, thanks FV for the "in the ball park" figure. It's nice to have an idea what it will cost you at least and then go from there. You are right about the Canadian exchange. But now that gap has closed tremendously.

Steve
Old 09-08-2006, 01:54 PM

It cost us roughly $1,000 for EACH airline ticket. So... around $3,000 for air alone. Then there was the registration fee, the bus fee, hotels... food....GIFT SHOP.... and so on. NOT inexpensive from here.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV
Yes, and isn't that exactly what I got..? 1US$=1.80 CAN$ ...60-65 US cents=1 Canadian dollar...

Oops, I was still operating with the original idea that buying Canadian dollars made things more expensive, not less. So if you got $1.80 CDN for a US dollar, then actually you were doing very good and someone at the bank made an error in your favor.

That said however, 60 US pennies for $1 CDN is an exchange rate of 40%, getting $1.80 CDN for one US dollar would be an exchange rate of 80%.

Shania Twain Centre.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:55 PM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Quote:
It cost us roughly $1,000 for EACH airline ticket. So... around $3,000 for air alone. Then there was the registration fee, the bus fee, hotels... food....GIFT SHOP.... and so on. NOT inexpensive from here.

I should say not Sheri!! Woah KACHING!

Steve