Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > General
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the selling of unofficial Shania Photo's for Profit?
No selling unofficial Photo's for Profit is breaking copyright laws. Stop it! 12 85.71%
Selling them is wrong, but I turn a blind eye as long as I get my copy! 1 7.14%
Selling unofficial Photos of Shania just to cover costs is OK by me. 0 0%
It is MY Photo, MY Camera and I will do what I like with MY Photo of Shania! 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Reply

Old 07-30-2003, 04:19 PM
tower

Selling unofficial Shania Photo's for Profit on Ebay!

Selling Shania Photo's?

In my posts telling you about my Hyde Park
photo's, Movie/Stills with sound clips
I have asked you all to share responsibly
and not to make personal profit from any
Shania Material on my Web site that would
upset Shania or Q Prime - her management.

If you want to use Shania's image in a
commercial way, be it to boost sales of a
magazine, increase market share of a product
or just to sell and profit from them then
you must enter in a legal contract with Shania
and her management and pay for a formal sitting.

Shania and/or her management would revue
the photo's and and you may be asked to
destroy some of them, if they are not up to
standard.

It has come to my attention that some people
are selling Abbey Road studio BBC Radio Two
session photo's on Ebay. Not only was the
concert FREE by invitation but Shania made
it clear throughput the session that photo's
and in particular Flash photography were
upsetting her.

Now I paid £45 to be in the front row at
Hyde Park, and as you may have seen got some
nice photo's as a result. However as I did
NOT enter a contract with Q-Prime to profit
from these, I share them with all Shania's
fans free of charge and ask you do the same.

So I post a poll, let us see if my morality
is out of date and making money anyway you can
is OK by you, even if it does upset the very
person you admire and love.

Vote away....
Old 07-30-2003, 04:33 PM
Board Administrator

I think it is pretty tacky.

I have gotten people thrown off ebay for trying to sell my wallpapers.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 07-30-2003, 05:11 PM
tower

Quote:
Originally posted by cbspock
I think it is pretty tacky.

I have gotten people thrown off ebay for trying to sell my wallpapers.

-Chris
Oh Good Ooh, Chris. You will get a copy of not only all my Hyde Park stuff, but Grace Billington's Abbey Road Photo's too, all on the one standard CD.

You mission should you choose to take it is to get a Mr David Riley to withdraw his unofficial Shania Photo's for sale on Ebay or I will email Q-Prime with full details and the poor chap will learn the hard way about copyright laws and the selling of Photo's that breach them.

I love your wallpapers, but to try and sell them??? Gosh some people.. My Hyde Park photo's are all over the place, even on the Radio Clyde's 3C country and western site - everyone has asked if they can use them, and in most cases have given me the credit, which is nice, if not exactly expected.

Hey I no longer get email notification of reply's to posts or threads, is there something I can do other than the obvious?
Old 07-31-2003, 07:51 AM

Selling photos of public figures you have taken yourself is in no way a copyright violation. It's how news and sports photographers make their living. The copyright belongs to the photographer. Taking pictures at an event where cameras are supposed to be banned raises ethical questions but is not illegal.

Taking concert pictures and then selling them certainly violates "fan" ethics. Same goes for those that ask for an autograph and then sell it. I wouldn't do either and I'm sure most, if not all, fans here feel the same way.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Vivashania
The copyright belongs to the photographer.

No. It depends on the agreement between the individual in the photo and the photographer. There have been quite a few examples on ebay in the past 2 years of photographers who have been stopped by artists managements. There is also one band in particular who develops the films on behalf of the photographer and decides which photos the photographer can have...If a photographer gets a media pass to a concert or an award show, the photographer can sell the photos to the media ONLY, not to the fans directly...because that was the reason why the photographer was given the media pass and allowed to take pics of the artists in concert or during the award show...
If the photographer takes a photo of an artist walking down the street, that's a different issue...
Old 07-31-2003, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FV
There have been quite a few examples on ebay in the past 2 years of photographers who have been stopped by artists managements.
I know Martina´s management/webmaster stopped someone from selling particular Martina pics on eBay..
So yeah, it does happen they can be stopped.

So FV, I´m sorry, it wasn´t clear to me, is it illegal to sell the BBC Concert pics or not?
Old 07-31-2003, 04:19 PM
Suspended

I guess we all have a different take on this. To me, the issue is not selling but whether it is right to distribute photos of celebs at all. So to me, selling is no worse than distributing for free. So, is it okay to distribute photos of celebrities taken at a public event, e.g. the Walk of Fame ceremony? I would say yes. The celebrities were there in their official capacities as celebrities. It would not be okay to distribute pix of them when they are not officially in the public eye, eg. in their back yard. That would be an infringement of their privacy.

Now with concerts, all the tickets tell you not take photos. If you accept that has the force of morality and law, no photos are legitimate, not even those distributed for free, not even those you just keep for yourself. I question the morality of telling you you can't take photos of a public person at a public event so I would take photos and distribute them to friends. But I don't know what the law says on this concert question.

As far as I am concerned, there is no need for an agreement between spectators and a celebrity at a concert. If the performer is appearing officially in public, getting photographed is part of the deal. I realize the law and performers themselves may see it otherwise.

Roger
Old 08-01-2003, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FV
No. It depends on the agreement between the individual in the photo and the photographer. There have been quite a few examples on ebay in the past 2 years of photographers who have been stopped by artists managements. There is also one band in particular who develops the films on behalf of the photographer and decides which photos the photographer can have...If a photographer gets a media pass to a concert or an award show, the photographer can sell the photos to the media ONLY, not to the fans directly...because that was the reason why the photographer was given the media pass and allowed to take pics of the artists in concert or during the award show...
If the photographer takes a photo of an artist walking down the street, that's a different issue...

Well, even lawyers can disagree. That's why there are two representations to every legal action and an uncertain verdict. I'm not familiar with the Ebay cases you mention but I suspect the photos may have been official photos for which management did, in fact, hold the copyright. Ebay will also respond to copyright complaints and give the benefit of the doubt to the complaintent just to be on the safe side. They removed an item I was advertising even though I am completely assured it was in the public domain (an old movie serial). I agree that sanctioned photographers and those with media passes have accepted certain conditions on their work and would be bound by them but I find the casual fan photographer to not be held by such constraints. The fact that cameras were banned at an event does give some arguing points to the other side in a civil, not criminal copyright, case. I'd imagine that if enough similar cases were tried you'd get outcomes favoring both sides depending on the skill of the lawyers and the varied composition of juries.

Last edited by Vivashania : 08-01-2003 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:48 PM
shania fan

Send a message via Yahoo to stwainfan
they sold fan club dvd on e-bay
Old 08-02-2003, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stwainfan
they sold fan club dvd on e-bay

Well, if someone sold their original copy they paid for and not a copy that's ok. Lots of stuff from the first fan club has been passed around. Some was even donated to this club's charity auction. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by Vivashania : 08-02-2003 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:10 AM
Liverpool F.C.

Send a message via ICQ to TRENTY
Yeah quite right this angered me and Beckie when we saw those on ebay a while back!!. He was not selling his original photos but reprints of the photos again and again.

Sheffield, Newcaste x 2, London x 2
Belfast x 2, Birmingham x 2, Manchester

My Shania Tour
Old 08-06-2003, 11:25 AM

Personally, I would feel awful for making any sorta profit from Shania memorabilia. To me, it would be like "using" her, know what I mean ? I'm happy to have had the opportunity to share my Abbey Road pics with other fans and make them happy. I wish I could be at all her concerts with a camera

...........\\!//
..........(@@)
--o00---(_)--00o--
Old 08-06-2003, 12:53 PM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

I said this yesterday that some people are only interested in making money from anything they get their hands on. They have no loyalty. My thoughts are they should not be able to do this, but you can't stop them. Thank goodness most people aren't like that. I also made a suggestion they be made to give all the profits to Kid's Cafe to make things right. But yeah like that would ever happen!

Steve