Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Albums > Greatest Hits CD
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 10-28-2004, 05:27 PM

First GH Review!

From CMT's "Country Music Today" magazine

Shania Twain, Greatest Hits

Her first-ever single collection boasts an impressive (OK, make that exhausting!) 21 tracks and features three new cuts, including two versions of "Party for Two" (one with labelmate Billy Currington and another with Sugar Ray frontman Mark McGrath. There's also one titled "I Ain't No Quitter." Grammar aside, this one sounds like a winner!
Old 10-28-2004, 05:37 PM

Grammar aside?? I think the lyrics on all of these new songs are great! Anyways good review, thanks for posting!
Old 10-28-2004, 05:38 PM

LOL I got what they meant....they were talking about the word Ain't!!HAHA
Old 10-28-2004, 05:51 PM

HMV UK:

‘Greatest Hits’ is the first retrospective of Shania Twain’s finest moments. Containing twenty-one tracks including all of Shania’s chart-bothering hits as well as three brand new songs, this is a brilliant introduction to one of the world’s biggest stars. From her early country-tinged hits to the feminist anthems ‘That Don’t Impress Me Much’ and ‘Ka-Ching!’ through to new single ‘Party For Two’, this is an album that highlights Twain as one of the biggest, most iconic figures in popular music today.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:57 PM
Board Administrator

Man, you are good with the news!

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 10-28-2004, 06:05 PM

That description is how I see it
Old 10-29-2004, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jen
LOL I got what they meant....they were talking about the word Ain't!!HAHA
Ain't no quitter isn't exactly grammatically correct
Old 10-30-2004, 06:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shaniafan2000 Send a message via Yahoo to Shaniafan2000
Quote:
Originally posted by kirppu
Ain't no quitter isn't exactly grammatically correct

LOL, it may not be gramatically correct, but try imagining this song title from The Woman In Me, "Home Is Not Where His Heart Is Anymore", to me Ain't flows better than Isn't or is not, which would be more correct. Sometimes grammar has to be put aside in the name of fun. Although I imagine "I Am Not A Quitter", would probably be the title if she was to go by "correct" grammer

P.S. This is coming from someone who majored in journalism in college. LOL

"I'd love to wake up smiling, full of the joys of Spring, and hear on CNN that Elvis lives again And that John's back with The Beatles and they're going out on tour. I'll be the first in line for tickets -- gotta see that show for sure."

~Lyrics from When by Shania Twain and R.J. "Mutt" Lange.

Last edited by Shaniafan2000 : 10-30-2004 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shaniafan2000 Send a message via Yahoo to Shaniafan2000
Okay, I don't know who this guy is.....

From Amazon.com

Shania Twain--reclusive, happily married, mother of one--has sold more than 40 million albums with flirty, hook-laden, beat-heavy, country-tinged pop that has all the subtlety of a musical wet T-shirt contest, yet is as irresistible as Swiss chocolate and Pringles. There are a few heartfelt, moon-in-June love ballads on this generous and long-awaited 20-song collection, which includes three new songs along with all the predictable chart-toppers and near-chart-toppers. But it's the mostly non-stop, uptempo booty-shakers--too often with garish overproduction and vapid lyrics--that, for the unconverted, tend to run together after a while. No doubt, this relentlessly upbeat retrospective will keep Twain's millions of fans jumping up and down on their sofas. --Bob Allen

"garish overproduction and vapid", oh please....while this review isn't completey bashing her, it might as well be with that sentence thrown in there. Sheesh, I don't trust critics of any kind whether they are talking movies or music. Anyway, there's enough people out there that have enough sense to not believe this guy.

~Steven

"I'd love to wake up smiling, full of the joys of Spring, and hear on CNN that Elvis lives again And that John's back with The Beatles and they're going out on tour. I'll be the first in line for tickets -- gotta see that show for sure."

Old 11-02-2004, 07:33 AM

Thanks for posting another review, keep them coming. I doubt many people read these reviews other than her die hard fans. The people will just listen, love, and buy
Old 11-08-2004, 08:25 PM

All Music Guide Review!!! 5stars!!!

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Just like the albums her husband/producer Mutt Lange produced for Def Leppard, Shania Twain's albums are designed to generate hit singles for two or three years, which means that each of her blockbuster records — 1995's The Woman in Me, 1997's Come On Over, 2002's Up! — already seem like greatest-hits records, since they're filled with huge hits. This makes assembling an actual greatest-hits album a little difficult, since not only is the material overly familiar, but there are so many hits that they're difficult to fit on a single-disc collection. Impressively, 2004's Greatest Hits — the first compilation Shania has released in her career — doesn't skimp in either the hits or its actual length. Weighing in at a whopping 21 tracks, it has every big hit from her career, bypassing just a handful of tracks (including anything from her eponymous 1993 debut, plus "God Bless the Child" from 1996 and "It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing" from 2004), none of which are greatly missed. The collection runs in reverse chronological order, beginning with the ballad "Forever and Always" from Up! then running through hits like "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!," "That Don' Impress Me Much," "You're Still the One," "Any Man of Mine" — all in their most familiar radio mixes, which means pop mixes alternate with country mixes according to the song — before ending with four new tracks (the gleefully goofy "Party for Two" is featured in two versions, a pop version with Sugar Ray's Mark McGrath and a country version with Billy Currington). Taken as a whole, this is a pretty impressive and consistent body of work — sure, her hits can be slick, glossy, and silly, but they're infectious, irresistibly catchy, impeccably crafted, and most importantly, still tremendous fun after hundreds of plays. This isn't straight country, but it never pretends that it is. Instead, Twain and Lange poached the catchiest elements from arena rock and adult contemporary pop, peppered it with '90s pop culture references — anything from bad hair days to Brad Pitt — and developed a glorious, supersized sound that defined mainstream pop and country for nearly a decade. And, as this wonderful collection proves, Shania's hits not only defined their time, but transcend them, as this Greatest Hits is as fun as pop music can get.

Rating: * * * * *

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?...bc881va5zzva~T1
Old 11-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Board Administrator

Shania's not done yet!!!

-Chris

Old 11-08-2004, 09:20 PM

Amen to Shania not being done yet! Well said, spock.. .

Overall, I liked the review of Greatest Hits that Jud posted in the post before Cbspock's, most recent one in this thread, though I thought the comments about "God Bless The Child" and "It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing" won't be missed, granted, they may not have been overly successful on the charts, which explains their absence on the Greatest Hits cd, but little comments like that could and should be left out...

Old 11-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Board Administrator

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...69186227682.xml

Shania Twain CD shows off her success
Thursday, November 11, 2004
Gary Graff
Special to The Plain Dealer
Shania Twain says success - specifically, 17 bona fide chart singles - determined the timing of her new "Greatest Hits" (Mercury) album more than anything else.

"It was just a logical thing to do at this point, since whatever room you have on a CD is basically how many hits I have up to now," says Twain, who also included three new songs on the set. "It didn't need to be now. But if we'd waited one or two more albums, we would've had to leave things off, probably."

That's hardly a bad problem to have, which is a further indication of just how enormous Twain's commercial impact has been across the country and pop divide in the past 11 years. She does, however, hope that those who buy "Greatest Hits" will appreciate that she wrote or co-wrote all these songs, a feat she says is often "overridden by the image or the fame or the success."

"That part of it, the songwriting, has nothing to do with the glamour or the fashion or the fans or being famous or being a star," Twain explains. "It's the meat of it all, and it gets very little attention. So for me, personally, it's a chance to go 'Wow!' and pat myself on the back and go 'Gee, you've really written a lot of stuff and accomplished a lot.'

Old 11-11-2004, 06:31 PM

The 'Twain' train

This article by John Gerome captures the essence that is Shania Twain for the most part...Article from the Times Democrat!

Thursday, November 11, 2004

The 'Twain' train

By JOHN GEROME, Associated Press Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A car full of dudes. Radio blaring. Annoying guy in the back singing off-key to Shania Twain's "Man, I Feel Like a Woman" while his buddies look seriously uncomfortable.

Twain, who co-hosted Tuesday's Country Music Association awards with Brooks & Dunn, hasn't seen the Chevy commercial, but she's heard about it — and laughs at the thought.

She's the first to admit her songs have a strong female perspective. But it's far more than women who are buying her records by the millions and filling arenas for her concerts.

"It's girls, boys, men, women, grandparents, everybody," Twain says. "I don't know why that is. They all relate to it somehow. I think they relate to the sense of humor of it. It's not straight-ahead female empowerment. Men relate to it because it's got a sense of humor."

Twain's new album, a greatest hits package, came out Tuesday — the same day at her CMA appearance. If it follows course, it will be a huge success. Her last three albums have topped the 10 million mark, with 1999's "Come On Over" reaching 20 million and placing her among music's elite.

Only a handful of acts — none of them country, not even Garth Brooks — have had bigger-selling albums.

"As a country artist, she is in a bit of a category by herself," said Wade Jessen, a chart director for Billboard magazine. "In terms of radio and video exposure, Shania is a bona fide signed, sealed and delivered crossover artist."

Dressed casually in a blue, green and white-striped sweater with black pants and boots, Twain, 39, sips hot tea during an interview. She's polite, offering refreshments to a guest, and candid, answering pointed questions without flinching.

She's unabashed in her pursuit of commercial success. She and her husband, producer extraordinaire Robert John "Mutt" Lange, approach each song as a potential radio hit. Artistic expression is fine and good, but only if it's commercially viable.

"We only write songs that we think are worthy of being hits, of being on the radio," Twain says. "We work very hard to make every song like that."

To reach every demographic, they often record two versions of the same song, one country-flavored, maybe with fiddles or steel guitars, and the other pop-oriented.

Her music has become a staple on country, pop and adult contemporary stations. Her latest single, "Party for Two," one of three new songs on the greatest hits album, went to country radio as a duet with country newcomer Billy Currington and to pop radio as a duet with Sugar Ray frontman Mark McGrath.

"It just keeps us in the pattern of my career so far, going all the way back to 'That Don't Impress Me Much' and 'Man, I Feel Like a Woman,' " she said. "If you've got that kind of versatility, why not have fun with it? We have that diverse fan base, and it's great to be able to explore that."

Twain, who grew up poor in Ontario, Canada, almost always speaks in the plural when discussing her career, a nod to Lange's involvement.

A South Africa native, Lange had produced top-selling albums by Def Leppard, AC/DC, Foreigner, the Cars and Bryan Adams before he and Twain crossed paths.

After seeing a video she made for her self-titled debut album (the lowest seller of her career by far) he traveled to Nashville to meet her. They married in 1993, and he has been her collaborator and partner ever since. Together, they co-write all of her songs.

Early on, the relationship raised questions about her talent, fueled in part by her decision not to tour in support of her second album, "The Woman in Me" (she says now that she didn't have enough hits at that point to do a full show).

While Twain credits their relationship with helping her career, she dismisses suggestions that he is a puppeteer behind her success. She says she comes up with most of the song ideas and many of the lyrics and melodies, while he takes the lead on arrangements and production.

"He, on his own, has never had this kind of success. And me, on my own, I doubt very much I would have had this kind of success. First of all, would I even have found anyone who had so much faith in me? Part of why I think I flourished is because he believed so much in me. He loved my voice; he loved my songwriting. He was my biggest fan."

As for the critics, she says she was ready for them. She had been writing songs and performing since she was a child and was confident in her abilities.

And today, she says, most of the doubters have gone away.

"There's so much consistency in the music, so much consistency in everything," she says. "You can't really duplicate that if it's not really you."

Link:

http://www.timesanddemocrat.com/art...1b831585571.txt

Benjamin