Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!
Old 05-05-2004, 02:35 PM

Charleston, WV

Anyone else going to WV for the concert May 13th? I can't wait after last night's concert at Richmond! This will be my last concert. BUT I'll be in the FRONT row! That's the best way for me to end seeing a wonderful artist and performer on a wonderful tour!

Christy

Washington, D.C. 10/03
Raleigh, NC 5/04
Richmond, VA 5/04
Charleston, WV 5/04
Sunrise, FL 7/04

5 incredible concerts I'll always remember! Thank you Shania!
Old 05-05-2004, 04:41 PM

Hi Christy,
Congrats on your front row :cool:
I also had a front row in my 3rd and last concert, and I was so close Maybe that was one reason that concert seemed to fly away? Getting distracted by Shania

Have fun on your last concert! You are very lucky to be able to attend so many concerts
Old 05-05-2004, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kirppu
Hi Christy,
Congrats on your front row :cool:
I also had a front row in my 3rd and last concert, and I was so close Maybe that was one reason that concert seemed to fly away? Getting distracted by Shania

Have fun on your last concert! You are very lucky to be able to attend so many concerts

Thank you. I'm looking forward to the concert but I'm also sad to know that it will be my last. I have been fortunate to attend the concerts that I have--I realize that but --sometimes "ALL WE EVER WANT IS MORE...a LOT MORE THAN WE HAD BEFORE...." especially when it comes to SHANIA!

Christy

Washington, D.C. 10/03
Raleigh, NC 5/04
Richmond, VA 5/04
Charleston, WV 5/04
Sunrise, FL 7/04

5 incredible concerts I'll always remember! Thank you Shania!
Old 05-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Christy
"ALL WE EVER WANT IS MORE...a LOT MORE THAN WE HAD BEFORE...." especially when it comes to SHANIA!

Guilty as charged! Have a fantastic time at the concert!
Old 05-06-2004, 01:52 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to sarah
yup, have a wonderful time and do let us know how it went

But I win when I choose
And I can't stand to lose
God's own country refers to the tourism motto of our state
Old 05-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Music Lover

Great seats available

Wow. I just checked ticketmaster and great seats are still available for the 13th - lower level in the 100's sections. I wish I was a little closer to WV.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:42 PM

Wow, soon Christy and others will be seeing Shania again!
Old 05-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Banned

Concert Preview

Stuck in between
‘Emerson Drive' comfortable with its mix of pop and twang

Monica Orosz
Daily Mail Staff
Thursday May 13, 2004

It's a little hard to process: Talk to Emerson Drive lead singer Brad Mates on the phone and you hear the distinctive Canadian way of saying "out" as "oot" and "about" as "aboot."

Pop in the group's soon-to-be-released CD, and you get Mates and company delivering a little country drawl.

Huh?

Mates laughs in explaining.

"I come from the most redneck part of Canada you can come from -- northern Alberta. It's the Texas, almost, of Canada."

Mates is the only original member of the band that started in high school.

"We were in the 11th grade in 1995 and you couldn't go anywhere without hearing about country -- it was the stuff we were listening to then."

So it seemed natural that the band would take on a country sound, he said. Three and a half years of living in Nashville helped the members pick up a Southern drawl and some hits, including "I Should Be Sleeping," "Fall Into Me" and "It's All About You."

"I'm kind of stuck in between," as far as accents go, Mates said. In fact, his family and friends in Canada contend he's lost his Canadian accent.

"Stuck in between" means a sound with the right mix of pop and twang to appeal to a broad audience -- and to Shania Twain, who snatched the group up to join her on her latest tour. One writer even dubbed them "Shania's six-pack."

"Shania has crossed over so huge -- the crowds we're getting every night at her shows are 75 to 80 percent non-country people."

Mates said the tour, which lasts into July, has been a blast.

"We do a 35-minute set, eight or nine songs," he said. "We play the ones that have been on the radio."

He enjoys seeing the audience's reaction to their covers ranging from U2 to Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

"We play them back-to-back and it's fun to see them react," he said.

Of course, the band also is seeking to get more of its own songs out there. "What If?," its soon-to-be-released new CD, contains three songs co-written by Mates.

"It's a really tough thing to put your songs down in front of other great songs," he said. "The best song wins -- that's the way we work in this group."

For now, that means CDs don't contain all original material. Down the road, Mates hopes that changes.

"Writing is a huge thing in this group," he said. "I write as much as I can.

"Two weeks ago, I was sitting in my hotel room and I had four lines that I just had to write down."

He said they haven't become a complete song yet, but he knows he'll revisit them, adding lines and then working on a melody with fellow band members.

"Right now, it's just a really good idea to get strong songs on the radio," he said.

Writer Monica Orosz can be reached at 348-4813.

If you go...
What: Shania Twain and Emerson Drive

When: 7 p.m. today

Where: Civic Center

Tickets: $45 to $80

Info: 342-5757

© Copyright 2004 Charleston Daily Mail -- Privacy policy -- Send Web site feedback or a Letter to the Editor
http://www.dailymail.com/news/Entertainment/2004051315/

- Tommy
Old 05-14-2004, 12:32 AM
Banned

Concert Review

May 14, 2004

Superstar Twain and a super show

By Roger Lilly
For The Charleston Gazette

The Charleston Civic Center Coliseum opened its doors to Shania Twain and Emerson Drive Thursday night and together they plowed a path that will be remembered for quite some time.

The circular stage was beautifully set and expertly utilized to allow the near-capacity crowd an opportunity to experience a show that was superb in production and delivery.

The Canadian band Emerson Drive started off with a nine-song set that was awesome to the Nth. They seemed determined to stretch tight the fine line that separates country from rock ‘n’ roll, which might explain powerful covers of U2 songs, Led Zeppelin riffs and a protracted romp and stomp version of the classic Nitty Gritty nugget, “Fishin’ In The Dark.”

Their huge hit, “I Should Be Sleeping” seemed to be half a step behind itself but they atoned with excellent versions of “You’re Like Coming Home,” “November,” “Fall Into Me” and their current chart-climber, “Last One Standing.”

Finishing up their set with “The Devil Went Down To Georgia” gave fiddler David Pichette a chance to show his very impressive chops. This is a band that I definitely haven’t heard enough or the last of.

After an extended intermission, Shania Twain finally made her way to the stage, starting off with “Man! I Feel Like A Woman!” followed closely by “Up” and “Honey, I’m Home.” The show was definitely on.

Hailing from Canada and spending the last few years living in Europe has denied Twain the opportunity to learn the subtleties and nuances of American country music. Good. I, for one, hope she never does. Her brand of country comes with a healthy portion of step and pop and swagger. Twain refuses to flirt with that line separating country and rock. She chooses to straddle it.

Twain gets points taken off for doing the dreaded medley and for encouraging the equally dreaded sing-along, but everything else was aces high.

The sound was awesome as always with a crowded house to bounce off of and the lighting was as good as I’ve seen it for quite some time. The impressive circular stage was almost more enjoyable from the crow’s nest than it was from courtside. And the many pyrotechnics were, if there is such a thing, tasteful. It all added together into a whole that was much greater than the sum of its parts.

On her last visit to town in October of ‘98, Twain didn’t seem quite comfortable with her superstar status. Now she wears it well, showing her growth as a performer.

She sang “The Woman In Me” from a seat in the audience and encored out with “Any Man Of Mine.” Everything before and between was excellently done.

Which brings up the inevitable final question, is it country or is it rock? When it’s this good, who cares what it’s called.

Roger Lilly can be reached

by e-mail at criticalmuss@yahoo.com
-----------------------------------
http://www.wvgazette.com/section/Reviews/2004051326
------------------------------------

- Tommy

Last edited by muzikguy94 : 05-14-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:02 AM

Excellent review of the WV show! Really like the sound of Emerson Drive - getting really excited now about going to the Orlando, Fl show! But, what was so bad about the "dreaded medley" - I thought that would be a real highlight of the show!!!

Graeme
Old 05-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Board Administrator

Hailing from Canada and spending the last few years living in Europe has denied Twain the opportunity to learn the subtleties and nuances of American country music. Good. I, for one, hope she never does.....Which brings up the inevitable final question, is it country or is it rock? When it’s this good, who cares what it’s called.

I will have to send this person an email for an excellent review. As to subtleties, what subtleties in country music?? Oh, drinking songs? I lost my pick up truck songs? etc. I guess Shania could, not shampoo her hair, and learn to chew tabacoo to make Nashville happy.....NOT!

The only drinking song Shania would do, is if she could work "beer tastes like ear wax" into it.

Check this out.....
Gretchen Wilson tear up the country charts with "Redneck Woman," a sassy, rip-roaring celebration of women who prefer beer, trucks and one-night stands to champagne, satin sheets and marital bliss.

Country music is becoming, well, country again,

http://www.freep.com/entertainment/...14_20040514.htm

Isn't that just dumb.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 05-14-2004, 11:10 AM
Administrator

I thought the review concentrated too much on Emerson Drive..not enough on Shania..LOL! But it is indeed a good review overall...
Old 05-14-2004, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbspock
Hailing from Canada and spending the last few years living in Europe has denied Twain the opportunity to learn the subtleties and nuances of American country music. Good. I, for one, hope she never does.....Which brings up the inevitable final question, is it country or is it rock? When it’s this good, who cares what it’s called.

I will have to send this person an email for an excellent review. As to subtleties, what subtleties in country music?? Oh, drinking songs? I lost my pick up truck songs? etc. I guess Shania could, not shampoo her hair, and learn to chew tabacoo to make Nashville happy.....NOT!

The only drinking song Shania would do, is if she could work "beer tastes like ear wax" into it.

Check this out.....
Gretchen Wilson tear up the country charts with "Redneck Woman," a sassy, rip-roaring celebration of women who prefer beer, trucks and one-night stands to champagne, satin sheets and marital bliss.

Country music is becoming, well, country again,

http://www.freep.com/entertainment/...14_20040514.htm

Isn't that just dumb.

-Chris

Chris

I gave Tommy cudo's also about his review of Shania Twain's concert...

Benjamin...