Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Fans Area > Life, Music, etc...
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 04-20-2009, 07:11 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

It's race day and I know DOC will do well. Funny story. Yesterday I was watching TV Station NECN from Boston. They went to break with a headline when they came back of "Doctor Who Has Special Reason To Run And Raise Money". Wow, I wondered! Could they mean DOC? NO! It was a local cancer doctor or surgeon I believe who was running for kids with cancer. He's been doing it for several years and has raised millions the way they talked about it. He doesn't want to see one kid die of cancer. What a wonderful thing he is doing. I'm sorry but I don't remember his name. So, DOC even though the story wasn't about you, it still is pretty special.

Steve
Old 04-21-2009, 05:38 AM

LOL-I think I actually ran a bit with him yesterday. I think "official charities" of the Boston Marathon went over 100 million yesterday for total money raised. If you add to that the unofficial charities like "Miles for Meals" there's alot of good that come from these events.
Well the Boston Marathon is over as you know. It was a tough running day with windy conditions and it was pretty cold. I actually got a bit hypothermic in the end as it got really cold and windy as we entered Boston proper. The only thing that warmed me UP was a big hug and kiss from Deb as I was heading for the finish line. I was actually pretty proud of my self as I ended up with a person best time for a marathon at 4 hours and 33 min Considering that this was the Boston Marathon (which is a very tough run), the cold windy conditions and my 53 years of age I think my training paid off. I'm pretty sore today but it was certainly all worth a few sore muscles! It will be even more worth it when I send the $3000+ raised for the Boston Marathon to Kid's cafe later this week. Oh, and Shania's music helped be just a little bit (lol) cuttin' thru that cold wind! I think the "Miles for Meals" effort went over $20,000 raised so far over the last 2 1/2 years so that makes my soreness even a little more tolerable! A few days off then I start training for the next run in the early fall-Doc
A never-ending song of love and the reason for your rhyme.

Thanks-ST
Old 04-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Steph

That is AWESOME DOC...Good Job! (for an old fellow...Just Kidding) LOL! You are a good influence on us younger folks.

Steph
Old 04-25-2009, 04:28 AM
Administrator

Well done!
Old 04-25-2009, 06:13 AM

Thank you DOC. We know it is a big sacrifice and a lot of work on your part getting ready and all, but then it must be a great feeling to know you can do something not many people can do and that you are helping kids in need.

Steve
Old 04-27-2009, 09:54 PM

LOL-thanks guys. All I want now is to get the Miles for Meals running club to grow and find a few more folks to help me in the effort to run down the hunger in this country! Doc

Thanks-ST
Old 08-18-2009, 07:38 PM

Training now for the next fund raising event for the Miles For Meals running club-the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC in late November. Times are hard now and I know asking folks to donate for anything when they are worried about day to day life expenses is tough but everyone has been so supportive of the anti-hunger cause of the runs I hope to do OK for Feeding America with this one. The Marine Corps Marathon is one of my favorites as it's run entirely by the Marines. I'll keep you posted as the event gets closer-Doc

Thanks-ST
Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 AM

Well it's 30 degrees and raining/snowing in the Northeast today! The ground was white this AM and the foul weather is supposed to continue into early next week! I sure hope things get a WHOLE lot better before the Marine Corps Marathon next Sunday. I hate, hate, hate running in this kind of weather and because of my training my weight and cold tolerance are way down. Surprisingly, people have been extremely generous in donating to this run. We are over $2000 already with a week to go. I think the fact that Second Harvest is now Feeding America and because of all the attention Feeding America gets in the press because of Biggest Loser etc that the name recognition helps fund raising. Anyway, trainings going great and I'm hoping for a personal best if I can stay away from the flu (H1N1 is pretty rampant here and since I'm an old fart I can't use the nasal vaccine and the injectable form hasn't come yet.). Up date ya'll later-Doc

Thanks-ST
Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Steph

Doc,

Keep UP! the good work, and "Don't Be Stupid" you are not an old fart, as men get older they age like fine wine...oh wait that's women...men just get grumpy LOL!

I hope the weather gets better for you Good Luck!

(How are those proofreading skills? LOL!)

Steph
Old 10-16-2009, 09:40 PM

LOL-You're getting better at proof reading! Oh, and on the grumpy part-yeah-you might be right at least according to my wife! LOL

Thanks-ST
Old 10-24-2009, 06:21 AM

As always DOC, we are proud of you for your efforts in this.

While I was in Florida, there was a story on the news about a marathon [can't remember where] and a couple of runners who collapsed, and I believe at least one of them died because they were interviewing another runner who had witnessed it. I only caught the end of the story unfortunately and don't even know where it was. I hope it wasn't your event.

Steve
Old 10-25-2009, 05:20 AM

Not my race-I'm running this AM. Actually there has been a few bad episodes recently. I believe 3 died in the Detroit Marathon this year. Sad stuff. I guess when it's your time-it's your time. I love running and training to run and I believe it keeps me in the best shape I can be in. When I do it for such a great cause as Feeding America/Kid's Cafe it's worth any small risk I take. Weather's ok here today-may be a bit warm but at least no rain. We start at 8:00 AM. My bib # is 18012. If you go to the Marine Corps Marathon web site you can sign up to get text updates as to where I am mile wise and when I finish if anyone likes. Let you know how it goes and how much was raised for the effort later-Doc

Thanks-ST
Old 10-25-2009, 05:35 AM

Actually you can't use runner tracker text feature any more but you can go here and put in BIB# 18012 to watch me on the track! If the Circle stops or falls over-BAD SIGN! LOL Doc

http://live.activeresult.com/maptrack/mcm/

Thanks-ST
Old 10-27-2009, 11:26 AM

Well the circle didn't fall over and neither did I-LOL. Nice run-bright and sunny (a bit too sunny!) day for 26.2 miles Finished at 4:40-my best MCM time but 10 min slower than my personal best. Real sore today. We raised over $3000 but I haven't added it up yet and donations are still coming in. Next up Disney Marathon in January-back to training (maybe tomorrow! LOL) Bill

Thanks-ST

Last edited by DOC BILL : 10-29-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:57 AM

Disney Marathon is done! Starting temperature at marathon time in ORLANDO FLORIDA was 26 degrees with wind chills in the teens! Finished at 4:40 again but give the bugger cold-I was happy. Next up- 2 marathons in 2 months-The Shamrock Marathon in March and The Boston Marathon in April. This is generally my biggest fund raiser of the year. I'll run for the Shania Kids Can when it becomes charitable. Doc

Thanks-ST
Post New Thread Reply