Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 12-14-2012, 12:47 AM
Board Administrator

The highlight of show 1, was being there with friends to see Shania's return.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 12-14-2012, 07:35 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

She does look happy. Nice picture.

Steve
Old 12-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Board Administrator

Old 12-15-2012, 07:18 AM

I always wonder how Shania comes up with these ideas for her wardrobes for her shows. Whatever inspires her, it's amazing!!

Steve
Old 12-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Thank you all for the photos and reviews!
Old 12-15-2012, 04:29 PM

Classic song list!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Board Administrator

Well the first run is over. Shania returns in March. Let's hope she gets busy working on an album, and running through what changes need to be made to her show.

-Chris

Old 12-16-2012, 05:54 PM

March? I thought she was performing alot more. How many shows did she do this time and what is the schedule in the future?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Board Administrator

http://m.billboard.com/events/shani...008052602.story

Opening a Shania Twain** show in Las Vegas during rodeo week is either the biggest stroke of luck or the best marketing plan ever. Stetsons and boots dotted The Strip, between rodeo events and western-themed holiday craft fairs. The only logical destination was to see Twain's "Still The One" residency, and come they did. The crossover country performer took to the stage at a packed Caesars Palace Colosseum over the weekend after her first week of shows, and after eight years out of the music spotlight, Vegas was definitely ready for her.
PHOTOS: Shania Twain's
'Still the One' Las VegasShow**
"(AEG) had been trying to get Shania to come to the Colosseum and Vegas for almost 10 years," show producer Raj Kapoor told Billboard. "When Shania decided that she was going to come back in some sort of way, that's when this conversation opened. Since then Shania put a lot of thought into the process of the show. She was very determined with the set list from the very beginning that it was going to be all hits. That was the basis for how we started developing the show."
The setlist for Vegas was indeed chock-full of hits, kicking off with "I'm Gonna Getcha Good" during which the 47-year-old singer made her grand entrance in a sparkling bodysuit and boots while riding a flying motorcycle shaped like a horse, a dominant theme throughout -- aside from the mechanical one, Twain featured two live horses during her performance, one black and one white.
"She knew she wanted to have live horses," Kapoor explained. "She knew that even though the horses were going to be trained, she didn't want them doing tricks. She wanted them to be appreciated for their natural beauty and majesty. It was more important for them to be seen in a natural way, and for the interaction between her and the horses to be seamless, not based on tricks and other things that were unnatural for horses to do. She has an appreciation for nature and that's what she wanted to convey in the storytelling."
After being featured in a country-western style filmed piece where a dark and light Shania battle, the black horse carried Twain into her salon set, sporting her first costume change of the night -- denim and pink cowboy boots, perfect for singing hits like "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?" and "Any Man Of Mine" complete with backup dancers. The next transition re-imagined an iconic Twain outfit, the leopard hooded catsuit from "That Don't Impress Me Much," which Twain hypes with a video package featuring her in a redone version, vamping on a spinning chair and doing her best hot librarian look before emerging to knock out the number.
Despite the high-energy, fast pace of the 90-minute, 18-song set, Twain does take time to talk to the audience, her voice betraying just a hint of nerves. She told anecdotes about her childhood and her start in singing, even going as far as to carve out an entire section to bring up fans on stage and have a campfire singalong. (Full disclosure: I was attending the concert with a friend dressed in full "That Don't Impress Me Much" costume who got taken up on stage for the crowd interaction moment. She reports that Twain was "very small," "smelled nice" and was wearing fishnet tights during this portion of the evening.) After a rousing round of campfire songs -- and a spin during our show by a rodeo-attendee fan who joined her onstage -- Twain rushed off only to return with her second, and most important, horse of the night.
"She definitely knew she wanted a white horse in the show," Kapoor explained of the dramatic reveal of her second horse performer. "The white horse was the big moment in the show, the centerpiece for the show. The white horse was symbolic of this rebirth and re-energized person that has made her way back to the stage."
Indeed, Twain's moment with this horse is worth the price of admission alone, as she sings "Still The One" to him center stage, leaving the crowd in awe both of the song and of the horse that somehow manages to be perfectly trained and perfectly natural all at once. This is followed by "From This Moment On," with a still-white Twain singing while standing on a rippling white sheet, essentially emerging from a pure white ocean of spectacle.
Of course, the show doesn't end there. Her encore of "Man! I Feel Like A Woman!" was the first time in the night that the entire crowd got to its feet. With a blinging Vegas-style name-in-light display as her backdrop and iconic top hat and floor length jacket combo on, Twain brought the house down.
CLICK HERE TO PLAY THE VIDEO ON YOUTUBE.
Twain's new home shares a rotating residency with other legacy performers like Celine Dion, Elton John and Rod Stewart, but Twain's approach is less concert and more theatrical, which she achieves with her backup dancers (who sometimes pose as musicians), video segments and, well, all those horses. Plus when you're at a Twain show, not only do you see and hear her, you smell her too.
[b]"You know when a women comes into the room and you can practically smell her? We created a scent for that moment." Yes, inspired by the practice of large Vegas hotels to infuse the air with a subliminal scent, Twain's show subtly transitions from her own fragrance (available for purchase in the gift shop) to a saloon scent (leathery and vintage, said Kapoor) to the smell of a campfire.[b]
"Shania: Still the One" ran through Dec. 15 and returns with a 14-show engagement starting March 19.

---
People are still on their feet

-Chris

Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 AM

That about sums it up I would think. She's apparently had a heck of an opening round. Congrats Shania!!!

Steve
Old 12-17-2012, 08:01 PM

Did you write that Chris? Great writing.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Board Administrator

That is the review from Billboard, link is at the start of the post

-Chris

Old 12-18-2012, 12:52 AM
Board Administrator

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/micha..._b_2318983.html

Hail Caesars: The Shania Twain Reign in Las Vegas Begins

n a town defined by its glitz, glamour and, yes, overindulgence, Shania Twain embraced all those qualities then upped the ante with her own spectacular new stage show.

Adapting the production title from one of her biggest hits on Come On Over, the blockbuster album that forever changed the face of country, Shania: Still the One hit the jackpot this month in Las Vegas.

Never afraid to gamble or willing to settle for subtle, the Canadian cutie born Eilleen Regina Edwards on Aug. 28, 1965, transformed right before our eyes into a singing, swinging sex kitten and video vixen in the 1990s who dazzled us with her brains and beauty.

Now she's betting it all on a career comeback that puts her in the spotlight (where she belongs) for the first time in eight years.

As Lady Luck would have it, she drew full houses for each of the 10 shows that competed her first run, and sales are reportedly brisk for her next 14 dates from March 19 to April 10. Dates for 12 more shows in May and June were just announced this weekend.

Beginning a two-year residency on December 1 at the Colosseum, the Caesars Palace venue also known as the House that Celine Dion Built in 2003, Twain has created a theatrical show that's more Broadway musical than Vegas revue. Only this cast of characters has one lone star.

For a hopeless devotee who was a dues-paying member of Twain's fan club, saw stops on her biggest tours ($30 for Come On Over in 1998; $84 for Up! on Dec. 1, 2003) and bought all her CDs, this gift was better than anything you could find under the Christmas tree.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Board Administrator

Just like Tina Tuner, another take-it-to-the-limits showgirl who never does anything nice and easy, Shania is living larger than life. In her palace away from home, she has quite a support staff, too.

During that December 6 show, with an 18-song set list over 90 minutes that didn't vary from Day 1 to Day 4, Twain presented: 10 musicians, including a quartet of fiddlers and a cellist; four male dancers; three backing vocalists, including her kid sister Carrie Ann Brown; two beautiful horses, one black, one white, both trained by Ramon Becerra; and a monstrous motorcycle with equine features hanging on wires from the rafters that the age-defying woman in a sleek catsuit straddled high above the stage, momentarily trading identities with Peter Pan while believing she really can fly.

All that was missing this holiday season was a partridge in a pear tree, but maybe that's something she and director Raj Kapoor will work on for next year.

Don't put it past the daring darling to try anything at least once. Twain has overcome the odds in her career and personal life more than once to achieve her dreams.

The tragic death of her parents in a car accident, her meteoric rise to stardom and the painful end to an apparent match made in crossover music heaven were all juicy story lines gobbled up for public consumption as gossipmongers lurked like vultures on the highway to hell.

Her marriage, her music and her voice vanished, and so did this modern-day heroine who we wanted to see live happily ever after. Through it all, Twain kept a stiff upper lip, choosing to wait until it was her time to tell her story her way.

The article continues... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/micha..._b_2318983.html

-Chris

Old 12-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Board Administrator

...she introduced twin brothers who "sing like angels," Ryan and Dan Kowarsky, the Canadian duo known as RyanDan, and they joined in for the only cover of the set -- a quick a cappella version of "Carrie Anne."

The song that stayed with Shania "all through the years" led to thoughts about her mother who loved the Everly Brothers and the vocal blend they created, then her sister who in 1967 was named after that Hollies song.

"Now Carrie and I are working on doing something together alone but right at the moment she's not quite there yet," Twain revealed about her mother's "beautiful gift" who quit singing at age 8 and was even hesitant to join this act.

The cozy atmosphere was augmented when six enthusiastic fans (especially a heavy-set Nashville man named Dan) were plucked from the audience by Twain and her husband Frederic Thiebaud for a singalong around a faux campfire where the sounds of the night included chirping crickets.

For anybody who forgot all that Twain accomplished in less than a decade, this show will certainly bring you back to your senses. Clips from Shania's most iconic videos, including "That Don't Impress Me Much," "Love Gets Me Every Time" and "Man! I Feel Like A Woman" are shown on a 31-ton high-definition LED screen that measures 34 feet by 109 feet.

And while some of the dazzling Marc Bouwer-designed outfits from those shows are on display either in the lobby or outside the Colosseum's entrance, Twain looks remarkable in attire also made by the famed costumier that's reminiscent of the originals. Following the catsuit were blue jeans with hot pink boots, short shorts, the knockoff leopard ensemble, an exquisite white gown and a short, black cocktail dress.

A show with too many highlights to count, it's the final 15 minutes that make skin tingle, hearts ache, tears drop and tongues wag. Confetti in the shapes of snowflakes falls heavily as Twain rides in on the white horse (which follows her every move) for the romantic one-two punch of "You're Still the One" and "From This Moment On," delivered divinely but with an air of melancholia, considering her devastating breakup with the song's cowriter.

But after one more costume change, it all ends well. With the feel-good "Man! I Feel Like A Woman!" blasting, sprinkles of gold glitter heighten the celebratory mood, SHANIA literally lights up the house and groups of the troupe take their final bows to a standing ovation. If only this well-orchestrated event left room for an encore.

"We've got a rowdy crowd here. I really like this; makes it so much fun. This is why I do this. I love to sing and I love music, but the only reason that I do this up on stage is because of you. You guys make it all worth it. I started my career at 3 years old. ... My passion grew very strongly at a very young age. And my mother recognized that and nurtured it and developed it. And we didn't have any money, so it's not like I went to some great performing arts school. ... It all started quite late for me." -- Twain, following a neat visual trick when she slammed the door shut to end "(If You're Not In It For Love) I'm Outta Here!"

Twain was 29 when her breakthrough album The Woman in Me was released in the spring of 1995, then 31 when Come On Over came out in 1997 and went on to sell more than 40 million albums worldwide, the crowning achievement for the top-selling female country artist of all time. Now she's 47, and while she continues to work on those pipes affected by vocal dysphonia, the performer who's as energetic and entertaining as ever still yearns to "sing without all the hoopla."

During one of the early stage transformations, a film clip depicted a Shania showdown, pitting good vs. evil characters wearing cowboy hats. There probably are more sides the public hasn't seen.

So who's the real Shania? The private introvert who left at the top of her game and waited so long to return to the stage or the gregarious and courageous diva with nerve enough to dive into a show with so many moving parts and pull it off without a hitch?

With approximately 110 shows to go until Twain's reign at the Colosseum ends in 2014, there's only one place to find the answer.

-Chris

Last edited by cbspock : 12-18-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Post New Thread Reply