Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > North American Tour: Summer 2015
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 06-10-2004, 04:54 AM

Saskatoon:Shania gets 'em good

Cam Fuller
The StarPhoenix

Thursday, June 10, 2004

CREDIT: Gord Waldner, The StarPhoenix
Shania Twain thrills a sold-out SaskPlace audience Wednesday night

She got 'em. She got 'em good. Country-pop superstar Shania Twain sent spirits Up! Up! Up! into the rafters of SaskPlace Wednesday night in a feel-good concert that broke down the walls between performer and audience.

It started when all eight members of her band entered down the aisles of the facility and climbed onto the stage. Twain herself, clad to start in a blue tank top and matching blue booties with black sequined pants, appeared at the far end of the main floor and jogged up to the centre. The show was held in-the-round, a creative way to make everything seem closer. The pride of Timmins, Ont., started with the anthemic Man! I Feel Like A Woman!, and by the end of the song we all did.

It was a bit of a surprise when she did such a huge number as Up! for the second song -- but not saving it for the end showed confidence in her repertoire. Large video screens circled the heights, and their closeups of the star proved she continues to be stunningly attractive. The cameras also focused on the band, bringing the commotion even closer. They were an energetic bunch, bounding from side to side, teasing each other in carefully choreographed moments and striking rock-god poses whether they were playing fiddle or guitar or keyboards. Their boss, meanwhile, was dodging pyrotechnic explosions, singing Honey, I'm Home and circling the stage giving everyone high fives, accepting those stupid stuffed animal presents and actually signing autographs while she sang. People, to their credit, weren't fainting from excitement. In fact, the second things seemed to be slowing up they started sitting down. But when Twain smiled and said, "I'm basically gonna ask you guys to get off your butts," they leapt to their feet.

Yes, she did know where she was. Twain said the word Saskatoon three times before singing the first note, and she expertly exploited the home-province appeal of Cory Cherko, one-third of her fiddling division, who hails from Moose Jaw.

The set list dodged easily from early to more recent hits.

Who's Bed Have Your Boots Been Under was given a rousing performance. No dust-bunnies on that one. A medley helped dispatch several others like You Win My Love and the commercial-jingle-like Come on Over ("come on over, come on in, take a stick, pull it out, the taste is gonna move you when you pop it in your mouth").

One of the most interesting elements of the show were the band introductions. Rather than Twain saying their names, each player introduced one other. They got to make jokes and have fun, and suddenly they were part of the show and not just working at it. The biggest ovations was saved for Cherko, of course, who really won the crowd over when he claimed that he said "Go Riders!" the previous night in Winnipeg.

While the band was talking, Twain was changing into a yellow T-shirt and purple pants. Her wardrobe is much more tasteful than it used to be, but let's face it: she's still going to be the hottest mom at pre-school. Near press time, Twain invited a cute 10-year-old named Mallory onto stage to sing with her. The girl, draped in a huge Twain hockey jersey that retails for $125 at the merchandise booth, charmed the crowd with a few lines from Up!

Twain's tunes are often all icing and no cake, but she really impressed in a slow, almost bluesy version of The Woman In Me, sung with her guitarist after she almost magically appeared in the lower tier, far from the stage. The moment would have been perfect if some idiot hadn't used the opportunity to kiss her on the cheek. Lucky for him she just laughed nervously and didn't summon her attack dog.

The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2004
http://www.canada.com/saskatoon/sta...eb-ead7926529e1
Old 06-10-2004, 05:08 AM
tower

There is always one. Oh well apart from that and the poke about no cake (Why do critics not hear the words of Shania songs the same as we do).

When I was on stage with Shania I did not even give her a Hug! She is so petite, and I am so large, I worried about crushing her.

Nonsense of course, but it does show respect, and a stranger just kissing her without being asked (and after all Shania has written a song about just that topic) shows a total lack of respect and self control.

Nice revue though for all that as this critic did get what Shania is trying to do with us Fans this time around, and few if any others do see that part of the UP! tour.

Come July 12th this World is going to seem a sadder place somehow. You will just have to register for the annual Fan Convention to keep the magic going on untill the end of August wont you?
Old 06-10-2004, 05:44 AM
Board Administrator

The moment would have been perfect if some idiot hadn't used the opportunity to kiss her on the cheek. Lucky for him she just laughed nervously and didn't summon her attack dog.

Okay, where was security??? Too bad Tim wasn't there.

Do people have any self control??? I could understand if it was a kid who did it, but an adult, no way.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain

Last edited by cbspock : 06-10-2004 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:09 PM
Board Administrator

This is the second time Shania was "attacked". I hope the behavior of a few idiots does not wreck this type of concert in the future. If Shania decides not to do this type of thing in the future, we have a few idiots to thank for it.

-Chris

Old 06-10-2004, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbspock
This is the second time Shania was "attacked". I hope the behavior of a few idiots does not wreck this type of concert in the future. If Shania decides not to do this type of thing in the future, we have a few idiots to thank for it.

-Chris

I agree. I can't believe someone would be so forward and do that. How did security allow that to happen...especially after the other recent incident? Does anyone have a better idea of what exactly happened? Some people can be so rude. Shania deserves so much better...how about some respect!

Washington, D.C. 10/03
Raleigh, NC 5/04
Richmond, VA 5/04
Charleston, WV 5/04
Sunrise, FL 7/04

5 incredible concerts I'll always remember! Thank you Shania!
Old 06-11-2004, 08:09 AM
tower

Quote:
Originally posted by Christy
Some people can be so rude. Shania deserves so much better...how about some respect!

"If you wanna touch her - ASK" The song was written with this Guy in mind! Thing is Richard (AKA the Shadow Dancer) got up on stage with Shania with a sign asking for a Hug.

He asked and he got.... Twice 'cause he got again at Grand Rapids while I just stood there to polite to ask.... Grrr what a twit I was. Shania is still a Timmins Girl at heart and I know if I had asked for a hug I would have got one, I was just a little in awe of the sight of 13,000 happy Shania Fans all looking on.

But there is worse thing could happen to a girl than a peck on the cheek. Still bad manners though and could spoil it for us all.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to shaniawarrior Send a message via Yahoo to shaniawarrior
Yeah!!! Where was security?!?!?! Come to think of it, at the Richmond concert I don't remember seeing any security near her when she did TWIM. That was just plain rude, inconsiderate, and STUPID of that man! It wouldl be a real shame if a few stupid idiots like this ruin it for the rest of us FANS that actually RESPECT Shania.

And why do critics always try and bring Shania down in some way? It seems like they always have to belittle her music every time. I mean, why do they feel the need to put something down that has brought such happiness to *so* many people? *shakes head* I just don't understand how critics can look at themselves in the mirror every day and be satisfied with what they do.

A HYPER Shania fan,
Desiree

"I'm a vegetarian, Brad. I eat TOFU TUNA!! *slap*" ~Shania in "I Heart Huckabees"
Old 06-13-2004, 10:06 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by shaniawarrior
Yeah!!! Where was security?!?!?! Come to think of it, at the Richmond concert I don't remember seeing any security near her when she did TWIM. That was just plain rude, inconsiderate, and STUPID of that man! It wouldl be a real shame if a few stupid idiots like this ruin it for the rest of us FANS that actually RESPECT Shania.

And why do critics always try and bring Shania down in some way? It seems like they always have to belittle her music every time. I mean, why do they feel the need to put something down that has brought such happiness to *so* many people? *shakes head* I just don't understand how critics can look at themselves in the mirror every day and be satisfied with what they do.

A HYPER Shania fan,
Desiree

Go listen to Toby's song "The Critic" it explains a lot.

-Chris

Old 06-13-2004, 10:11 PM

Because many reviewer writes review not for the music, and the show, but to showcase how superior, smart they are, and how their taste is better than of the dumb masses.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud
Because many reviewer writes review not for the music, and the show, but to showcase how superior, smart they are, and how their taste is better than of the dumb masses.

Just like Toby mentions in the song.

-Chris

Old 06-14-2004, 03:02 AM
tower

Shania's Concerts are a natural 'High' and the buzz stays with you for days after, starting with meeting fellow Shania fans before the event, right through posting our revue's of the Concert which are always at odds with the Critical ones, to reading other fans stories.

I am always touched when someone meets Shania for the very first time, excited and happy for them never jealous at all.

There is one thing that is better than a Shania Concert though as it goes on for 4 days or more, and that is the Timmins Fan Convention. Check it out, come on over and you will find out just exactly what I am talking about.

I was high and hyper for more than 3 weeks after the 2003 event, and this year is going to be so much better having built on the lessons from the very 1st Fan Convention last year.

http://www.shaniatwaincentre.com
Post New Thread Reply