Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Stats & Spins: Shania Songs to Request!
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 06-21-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm Having Me A Party

Send a message via AIM to GonnaGetcha720
Shania Returns to Billboard Charts

http://www.billboard.com/column/cha...005242272.story

Been a long time, thought I'd return to post some chart info for TIYD.

Quote:
Shania Twain Returns To Country Songs Chart
by Gary Trust | June 20, 2011 4:05 EDT

The latest stop on Shania Twain's multi-media comeback blitz: Billboard's Country Songs chart.

The star singer/songwriter ends a six-year hiatus from the survey, as "Today Is Your Day" blasts in as the list's highest debut at No. 40. The bow marks the fourth-highest start of Twain's 33 entries dating to her arrival in 1993. (All charts will be refreshed Thursday, June 23, on Billboard.com).

"Today" launches with 2.3 million audience impressions and airplay detected on 84 of the Country Songs chart's 127 reporters, according to Nielsen BDS.

Twain had last appeared on Country Songs with the No. 29-peaking "Shoes," from the "Desperate Housewives" soundtrack, in 2005. She has scored 16 Country Songs top 10s, including seven No. 1s.

Twain shot to Nashville dominance when her 1995 release "The Woman in Me" spent 29 weeks atop Billboard's Country Albums chart. The album has sold 7.7 million copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Follow-up "Come On Over" yielded a record eight Country Songs top 10s and totaled a record 50 weeks at No. 1 on Country Albums. With 15.5 million copies sold, the set ranks as the second-best-selling album in the U.S. since SoundScan began tracking sales in 1991. (Metallica's eponymous 1991 album outpaces "Over" by 167,000 units).

With 34 million albums sold, Twain is the top-selling female country artist in SoundScan history. (Reba McEntire ranks second at 29.8 million).

Since releasing her most recent studio album, however, 2002's "Up!," Twain has seemingly made more headlines for her personal life. Following her husband and creative partner Robert John "Mutt" Lange's affair with her best friend, Marie Anne Thibaud, Twain divorced Lange last year.

Twain married Frederic Thiebaud (Marie Anne Thiebaud's ex-husband) Jan. 1 and has maintained a presence across a variety of platforms since.

Twain was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame March 27; she released the autobiographical book, "From This Moment On," May 3; and, she debuted "Why Not? with Shania Twain" May 8 on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, premiering "Today" in the series' first episode. (She unveiled a duet remake with Lionel Richie of his 1981 Billboard Hot 100 No. 1 "Endless Love" (with Diana Ross) in the show's June 12 finale).

On June 2, Twain received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. At a June 8 press conference at the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, she announced plans to headline Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas with "Still the One," set to open Dec. 1, 2012, and run for two years.

While Twain has yet to formalize plans for her next studio album, her track record at the format and pop culture standing are making for a warm welcome at radio in her return with "Today."

Despite Twain's sparse recent output, her plentiful catalog has allowed her to remain a force on country radio.

"Even after a long absence, I am still asked about her quite often," says WGTY (Great Country 107.7)/York, Penn., operations manager Scott Donato. The station spun "Today" 19 times in the June 13-19 tracking week, the most among all Country Songs panelists.

"With many of our listeners glued to her television series, and her book sales taking off, she is still very much relevant in 2011."

"Shania is a superstar, not just among country fans, but music fans in general," says KMPS (94.1)/Seattle program director Becky Brenner. The station played "Today" 12 times last week.

"Her story is one that people can relate to and want to hear more about. She is not afraid to share her journey so that others can be inspired to pursue their dreams. I think that makes people want to support her even more."

While Twain made most of her trips up Country Songs with such uptempo fare as "Any Man of Mine," "That Don't Impress Me Much," and "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!," her new single, released to radio and digital retailers June 12, is a ballad, which Twain wrote (and co-produced with Nathan Chapman). Billboard projects that the song could rack sales of 40,000 to 50,000 in its first week, setting up her first Hot 100 appearance since the No. 58-peaking "Party for Two" in 2004.

"The song is different for her, and we've received a range of opinions on it, mostly positive, with some negatives sprinkled in," says Donato.

"Even so, most of the listeners who responded negatively are still looking forward to hearing more new material from her. The vast majority are simply excited to hear her back on the radio.

"Only time will tell if the music matches the anticipation," Donato muses. "We'll know much better in coming weeks if this song is truly something this market wants to hear.

"Just because it's somewhat of a curveball on first listen doesn't worry me too much. She's Shania Twain, for garsh sakes, and she's omnipresent right now.

"If this new music does break through, I'll be as happy as anyone, both as a fan and for the format."

In the mediabase update this morning

(LW) #TW-Song: Artist (Spins [Change]/Audience Impressions]

(74) #44- Today Is Your Day: Shania Twain (340 spins [+261]/ 2.117 audience)

~University of South Carolina Football Coach Steve Spurrier on the 30-22 victory of long time nemesis Florida
Old 06-22-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm Having Me A Party

06/22 update

(63) #43- Today Is Your Day: Shania Twain (350 spins [+217]/ 2.032 audience)

~University of South Carolina Football Coach Steve Spurrier on the 30-22 victory of long time nemesis Florida
Old 06-23-2011, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Thanks! Keep the info coming...
Old 06-23-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm Having Me A Party

06/23 update

(58) #43- Today Is Your Day: Shania Twain (386 spins [+227]/ 2.172 audience)

Old 06-24-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm Having Me A Party

06/24 update

(52) #43- Today Is Your Day: Shania Twain (407 spins [+204]/ 2.195 audience)

Old 06-25-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm Having Me A Party

06/25 update

(52) #43- Today Is Your Day: Shania Twain (432 spins [+196]/ 2.286 audience)

Last edited by GonnaGetcha720 : 06-25-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:10 PM
#1 Shania Fan :)

Does it look like the song has a chance to get pretty high on the chart? I'm not familiar with the charts, but it seems like it's not really blazing up the chart.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm Having Me A Party

Well, you never really know what will happen, but it certainly doesn't have the momentum previous Shania singles have had.

For instance, Party for Two was already hovering around #28 one week after its release date. I'm Gonna Getcha Good debuted at #24.

Country radio could just be reluctant to play it because it is so different. Honestly, it's barely country. You can hear some banjo in parts. The song is much closer to an Adult Contemporary type song (very similar to "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter).

If the listeners like it, country radio could warm up to the song. I guess we'll find out in the next week or two.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:06 PM

Shania's last singles struggled on the charts, and this song will go nowhere.

She should have release it for the fans without the trouble of the charts.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Board Administrator

Who really cares about the charts for this song. It was not released to be a real single. She isn't actively promoting it. This was released as a follow up to Why Not? I don't know why people are expecting it to go anywhere.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 06-26-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm Having Me A Party

06/26 update

(47) #41- Today Is Your Day: Shania Twain (452 spins [+160]/ 2.417 audience)

I wasn't really expecting much, but I do think it'll be interesting to see how country radio reacts to some new Shania music after all of these years.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:49 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

I agree with Chris. Shania didn't release this song expecting it to shoot up the charts. I think she did it #1 to prove to herself and her fans that her journey has led her back to a level where her voice & mental health are good to go again, and #2 to give her fans a little taste of what she can again do as a singer. I agree with the critic who said this was not a power ballad like FTMO or YSTO, but I look at it like Today is like an exclamation point to Shania's road back to being herself and getting rid of the very heavy burden that has weighed on her for all these years.

I also think we should all be realistic in that Shania's chart strength may not ever be like it was in the 90's again. She has a lot of competition now with Carrie, Taylor, Miranda, etc., for country and who knows what will happen with the pop charts regarding her songs. Plus we also know success in music today is far different than back then. The charts are handled entirely different now. We know she has come back now. It's just a question of how far it will take her. I would think Las Vegas will certainly help boost any new songs she does along with her classics.

Steve
Old 06-28-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm Having Me A Party

06/28 update

(44) #39- Today Is Your Day: Shania Twain (471 spins [+131]/ 2.442 audience)

Old 06-28-2011, 12:20 PM

The thing is, that next time Shania will release a real single, totally disconnected from how Today will do, she will have to work the stations (interviews, etc), or her songs will struggle on the charts.
Now of course, they doesn't have to necessarily become #1s, but radio is still a good promotion tool, and the chart position is determined by how many times and for how big audience a song was played.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaGetcha720
06/28 update

(44) #39- Today Is Your Day: Shania Twain (471 spins [+131]/ 2.442 audience)

Slowly climbing....Keep requesting!