Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 05-18-2005, 08:40 AM

Another BMI Award for Shania!!

May 18, 2005 08:00 AM US Eastern Timezone

3 Doors Down, Lil Jon, EMI Top BMI Pop Awards; Paul Simon Honored as Icon

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 18, 2005--Performing rights organization BMI announced its 53rd Annual BMI Pop Awards last night (5/17), with top honors given to 3 Doors Down's "Here Without You" as Song of the Year, Lil Jon as Songwriter of the Year, and EMI Music Publishing as Publisher of the Year.

Del Bryant, President & CEO, and Barbara Cane, Vice President & General Manager, Writer/Publisher Relations, Los Angeles, hosted the dinner event. The writers and publishers of the 50 most performed songs of the past year were recognized. A highlight of the gala, staged at the Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills, was a tribute to songwriter/artist Paul Simon, who was named a BMI Icon.

"Here Without You" won the title of BMI Pop Song of the Year, with songwriters Brad Arnold, Todd Harrell, Chris Henderson, and Matt Roberts of the group 3 Doors Down accepting; this distinction is given to the song tallying the most feature broadcast performances during the eligibility period. "Here Without You" is published by Escatawpa Songs and Songs of Universal, Inc., and is included on 3 Doors Down's Republic/Universal CD Away From the Sun.

Lil Jon wrote four songs on the most performed list of 50 to collect the BMI Pop Songwriter of the Year crown. The songs earning him the title were "Damn!" (YoungBloodZ featuring Lil Jon), "Freek-A-Leek" (Petey Pablo), "Get Low" (Lil Jon & the East Side Boyz featuring the Ying Yang Twins) and "Yeah!" (Usher featuring Ludacris and Lil Jon).

Of the 88 songwriters who received 2005 BMI Pop Awards, two were triple winners: Chad Kroeger (SOCAN) of Nickelback and Sham. Other writer/artists earning awards included Michelle Branch, Five for Fighting, Linkin Park, Sarah McLachlan, Pete Townshend (PRS), Shania Twain, Maroon 5, Los Lonely Boys, R. Kelly, Seal (PRS), Lil' Kim, Evanescence, the White Stripes, Fountains of Wayne, Mario Winans and the Black Eyed Peas.

Paul Simon was saluted as a BMI Icon for his "unique and indelible influence on generations of music makers." In a career dating back to the 1950s, Paul Simon has established himself among the best and most popular songwriters of the rock era. For his efforts, he is a 12-time Grammy winner, a two-time Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee (as Simon & Garfunkel and as a solo artist) and the recipient of the Kennedy Center Honors. His songwriting catalog has earned 39 BMI Awards -- including multiple citations for "Bridge Over Troubled Water," "Mrs. Robinson," "Scarborough Fair" and "The Sound of Silence" -- and amassed nearly 75 million broadcast airplays, according to BMI surveys.

After a video tribute, the musical salute to Simon featured performances by 2004 Icon recipient Brian Wilson (who sang "The Sound of Silence"), British sensation Joss Stone ("Mother and Child Reunion"), Adam Levine and James Valentine of the Grammy-winning band Maroon 5 ("Homeward Bound"), and soul gospel diva Yolanda Adams ("Bridge Over Troubled Water").

Simon enters the elite company of previously praised BMI Icons, including Bill Anderson, Chuck Berry, James Brown, Bo Diddley, Isaac Hayes, Holland-Dozier-Holland, Little Richard, Loretta Lynn, Carlos Santana, Dolly Parton, Van Morrison, Al Green and Brian Wilson.

EMI Music Publishing (EMI-Blackwood Music, Inc./EMI-Stone Agate Music), with 11 award songs, claimed the BMI Pop Publisher of the Year prize, given to the publishing concern with the highest percentage of copyright ownership in award songs.

In addition to Song of the Year "Here Without You," BMI recognized the performance achievements of two other songs. "Someday" by Nickelback earned Most Performed Song on College Radio kudos for songwriters Chad Kroeger, Mike Kroeger, Ryan Peake and Ryan Vikedal of the group and publisher Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp. "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'," the most performed composition in BMI's repertoire of 6.5 million musical works, was certified as a 10 Million-Air, meaning it has been broadcast 10 million times. "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" was written by Barry Mann, Phil Spector and Cynthia Weil, and published by ABKCO Music, Inc., Mother Bertha Music, Inc., and Screen Gems-EMI Music, Inc.

Another special presentation was made to the First Place winner of the 2005 John Lennon Scholarship Awards. Sydney Price, a 17-year-old junior at Booker T. Washington High School for the Visual and Performing Arts in Dallas, Texas, earned a $10,000 scholarship for her song, "Moon Lullaby." Established in 1997 by Yoko Ono in conjunction with the BMI Foundation and matched by generous donations from Gibson Musical Instruments, the John Lennon Scholarship program recognizes the talent of young songwriters between the ages of 15 and 24.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...105&newsLang=en
Old 05-18-2005, 08:43 AM

COOL!! Is it for any certain song or just in general for great song writing?
Old 05-18-2005, 08:46 AM

BMI's Citation of Achievement performance certificates are given annually in recognition of popularity in the field of popular music, as measured by feature broadcast performances on American radio and television; this year's Pop Awards eligibility period ran October 1, 2003 through September 30, 2004.

http://www.bmi.com/news/200505/20050518a.asp
Old 05-18-2005, 08:49 AM

FOREVER AND FOR ALWAYS (2nd Award)
Shania Twain
Loon Echo, Inc.
Universal-Songs of PolyGram International, Inc.
Shania Twain
Mercury Nashville

50 songs were honored, as the most played pop songs written by BMI artists.

http://www.bmi.com/news/200505/pop_songs.asp
Old 05-18-2005, 09:15 AM

Forever And For Always is my favorite song, I am glad it is getting the great recognition it deserves! Shania should be proud!
Old 05-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Congratulations Shania!
Old 05-18-2005, 11:58 AM
shania fan

Send a message via Yahoo to stwainfan
FAFA a great song
Old 05-18-2005, 03:18 PM
PROUD SHANIA FAN!

These are the types of awards that really mean something. They are based on performance and NOT politics! FAFA is one of my favorites. Way to go Shania!!

Success is related to standing out, not fitting in!

Last edited by limited : 05-18-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:34 PM

CONGRATS... ONE OF MY FAVS TOO... ESPECIALLY RED VERSION

Sometimes Shania goes to SCHOOL so to speak with previous albums when creating new material... Any thoughts on the success of FAFA possibly having an effect on the next one?
Old 05-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Going UP

Definatley one of my favourites too! Well done Shania
Old 05-18-2005, 06:13 PM

I agree with all of you! Like Shania, it is one of my favorite songs and video she has done and I'm sure she appreciates this award more than any other!! Congrats, Shania!!!
Old 05-18-2005, 06:41 PM
Board Administrator

Love this song.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 05-18-2005, 09:22 PM
*~I Love You Shania!~*

Yay! "Forever And For Always" is one of my favorite songs! Congrats Shania! You totally deserve this award!

Shania's Still The One, Forever And For Always!

I You, Shania!

53 DAYS UNTIL THE FIFTH ANNUAL WORLDWIDE SHANIA TWAIN FAN CONVENTION!!! GET READY TO PARTY HARDY!!!
Old 05-18-2005, 10:20 PM
From This Moment On!

Send a message via AIM to Mary R Send a message via MSN to Mary R Send a message via Yahoo to Mary R
Congrats Shania on your BMI award for FAFA! Lovely song!

Mary R
Old 05-19-2005, 05:55 AM

Congrats! FAFA is really a great song.
Post New Thread Reply