Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > The Former Shania Centre in Timmins
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 10-03-2009, 12:54 AM

I've loved watching every single minute of opening and closing ceremonies of Olympic games since I was a child. The Winter games have always been my favorite. These games will be the most special ever. Welcome to the world wide stage, Timmins!!
Old 10-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Board Administrator

It would be really cool if Shania took part in the opening ceremonies as well.

Just hope the Timmins Daily Press doesn't get a quote from Eja, because the headline above the picture of Shania running with the torch might be "no speed for mommy" lol

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 10-03-2009, 07:15 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Usually I'm home on New Year's Day. This will be something truly special.

Steve
Old 10-05-2009, 04:17 PM

Shania Twain Will Carry the Olympic Torch

Posted: October 5th, 2009 | By: Alison Bonaguro

I am kind of ticked off at the Olympics executives right now. Chicago was clearly the best choice for the 2016 games and they blew it. But this Shania Twain thing might just change my mind. She's been chosen to carry the Olympic Torch through her hometown in Ontario on New Year's Day in January 2010. Twain says it's an "honour" to bear this torch and that she has "tremendous respect for the hard work, dedication and talent of the world's greatest athletes and will humbly carry and pass on the Olympic torch with a special pride for my country's Olympians." So between her guest judging spot on the upcoming season of American Idol, and now this torch thing, I'd say Twain is poised for a big ol' country comeback.

http://blog.cmt.com/2009-10-05/shan...-olympic-torch/
Old 10-16-2009, 10:19 AM

For sure it will be an interesting event to culminate Shania's rather colorful career. Good likeness of Shania delivering the torch Dax. Loved your creation there... I am sure anyone in the Olympic committee would have loved it as well. Ha Ha! Interesting that Shania will be the last one to complete the event, which is really a special honor for Shania... It is definate that this event will also put Timmins back on the map again and get everyone's attention as only Shania can.

Benjamin
Old 10-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Olympic torch has arrived in Canada:
http://m.www.yahoo.com/_ylt=AlGN6Ut...82487%26lang=en

..on its way to Timmins and Shania!
Old 10-31-2009, 05:07 AM

Third time for Canada, great!

Steve
Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Administrator

http://www.timminspress.com/Article....aspx?e=2231588

Timing key for torch
Run route released
Posted By CHELSEY ROMAIN The Daily Press
Posted 12 hours ago

Timmins Police Service Deputy Chief Des Walsh and municipal communication co-ordinator Guy Lamarche look over the planned route for the Olympic Torch, which will it make its way through the community on New Year's Day.

With just over a week left before the Olympic torch makes its way through the city, officials are taking steps to ensure everything runs smoothly.

Timmins Olympic Community Celebration committee chairman, Timmins Police Service Sgt. Al Richardson, announced yesterday the planned route for the torch when it reaches the city on New Year's Day.

Beginning at exactly 6:14 p.m., the first two runners will take the torch from the Tim Hortons in South Porcupine to Legion Dr., where it will be passed off and driven to the flags in Schumacher. The torch will then head down Father Costello Drive before turning back onto Hwy. 101 and onward to the Hollinger Park.

At the Algonquin Blvd. and Brunette Rd. intersection, Shania Twain will grab hold of the torch and run it up to the stage where she will light the cauldron at precisely 7 p.m.

"People will be able to view the show from anywhere because there will be large screens set up," Richardson said. "Shania will be saying a few words to her hometown crowd, but we have not asked her to perform.

"However, she is welcome to do whatever she likes."

Traffic will be disrupted in some areas throughout the day, and police are reminding the public that parking will be limited in the area around Hollinger Park.

Brunette Rd. from Algonquin Blvd. to the most Northern entrance into Food Basics will be closed beginning at 2 p.m. Intersecting roads along the route will also be closed as runners pass, but traffic in the eastern direction will continue.

While people can still enjoy the playground equipment at the park, entrance into the park's driveway will not be permitted beginning that morning to allow for set up.

"As you can imagine, an event of this magnitude on New Year's Day can present some unique security challenges," said Timmins police Deputy Chief Des Walsh. "We're encouraging everyone to carpool that day, as there will be limited parking."

Parking in the park's lot will be limited to emergency personnel and people with disabilities.

Businesses in the area are allowing for parking in their own lots, as well municipal parking lots will be available.

"All operational plans set so far are based on attendance of at least 6,000 at the celebration site," said Walsh. "If the weather is favourable, we expect more, and if it's rotten we can probably expect less."

With the stage being set up in the outfield facing the bleachers, Richardson said 10,000 can fit comfortably.

While a contingency site has been selected in case the event has to be moved indoors, he said the committee hopes it won't be needed.

"It would significantly reduce our numbers, go from maybe 7,000 people outside to 700 people inside," said Richardson. "Luckily as Northerners, we're prepared for bad weather and we fully anticipate lots of snow and cold temperatures.

"We'll probably forge ahead whatever the weather is."

The committee also announced the entertainment scheduled for the two-hour show. Committee entertainment manager Rob Knox said the community is allotted a certain percentage of performers to be from the city.

"I think this will be wonderful and powerful," said Knox. "We wanted to recognize the contribution of ethnicity to our city, we thought it would be wonderful to incorporate First Nation and French Canadians."

Local entertainment will include drumming from the Timmins Native Friendship Centre, the Timmins Police Pipes and Drums, the national anthem being sang by Walsh's own daughter Meaghan Walsh, ballet dancers from the Cathy McKeown Classical Dance Arts, Les Amis qui Dance and Chantal Delorme. Other forms of entertainment are being provided by VANOC as well as the major corporate sponsors RBC and Coca-Cola.

To date not all of the runners have been announced, but those names are expected to come soon.

All runners have the chance to purchase their torch. Richardson said Twain has agreed to purchase hers and donate it back to the city.

More details about the event will continue to be announced as the official Vancouver 2010 Olympic Torch relay gets closer to Timmins.

Timmins Police Service Deputy Chief Des Walsh and municipal communication co-ordinator Guy Lamarche look over the planned route for the Olympic Torch, which will it make its way through the community on New Year's Day. (CHELSEY ROMAIN The Daily Press)
Old 12-22-2009, 11:46 AM

Timing key for torch
Posted By CHELSEY ROMAIN, THE DAILY PRESS
Posted 3 hours ago

With just more than a week left before the Olympic torch makes its way through the city, officials are taking steps to ensure everything runs smoothly.

Timmins Olympic Community Celebration committee chairman, Timmins Police Service Sgt. Al Richardson, announced yesterday the planned route for the torch when it reaches the city on New Year's Day.

Beginning at exactly 6:14 p. m., the first two runners will take the torch from the Tim Hortons in South Porcupine to Legion Dr., where it will be passed off and driven to the flags in Schumacher. The torch will then head down Father Costello Drive before turning back onto Hwy. 101 and onward to the Hollinger Park.

At the Algonquin Blvd. and Brunette Rd. intersection, Shania Twain will grab hold of the torch and run it up to the stage where she will light the cauldron at precisely 7 p. m.

"People will be able to view the show from anywhere because there will be large screens set up," Richardson said. "Shania will be saying a few words to her hometown crowd, but we have not asked her to perform.

"However, she is welcome to do whatever she likes."

Traffic will be disrupted in some areas throughout the day, and police are reminding the public that parking will be limited in the area around Hollinger Park.

Brunette Rd. from Algonquin Blvd. to the most Northern entrance into Food Basics will be closed beginning at 2 p. m. Intersecting roads along the route will also be closed as runners pass, but traffic in the eastern direction will continue.

While people can still enjoy the playground equipment at the park, entrance into the park's driveway will not be permitted beginning that morning to allow for set up.

"As you can imagine, an event of this magnitude on New Year's Day can present some unique security challenges," said Timmins police Deputy Chief Des Walsh. "We're encouraging everyone to carpool that day, as there will be limited parking."

Parking in the park's lot will be limited to emergency personnel and people with disabilities.

Businesses in the area are allowing for parking in their own lots, as well municipal parking lots will be available.

"All operational plans set so far are based on attendance of at least 6,000 at the celebration site," said Walsh. "If the weather is favourable, we expect more, and if it's rotten we can probably expect less."

With the stage being set up in the outfield facing the bleachers, Richardson said 10,000 can fit comfortably.

While a contingency site has been selected in case the event has to be moved indoors, he said the committee hopes it won't be needed.

"It would significantly reduce our numbers, go from maybe 7,000 people outside to 700 people inside," said Richardson. "Luckily as Northerners, we're prepared for bad weather and we fully anticipate lots of snow and cold temperatures.

"We'll probably forge ahead whatever the weather is."

The committee also announced the entertainment scheduled for the two-hour show. Committee entertainment manager Rob Knox said the community is allotted a certain percentage of performers to be from the city.

"I think this will be wonderful and powerful," said Knox. "We wanted to recognize the contribution of ethnicity to our city, we thought it would be wonderful to incorporate First Nation and French Canadians."

Local entertainment will include drumming from the Timmins Native Friendship Centre, the Timmins Police Pipes and Drums, the national anthem being sang by Walsh's own daughter Meaghan Walsh, ballet dancers from the Cathy McKeown Classical Dance Arts, Les Amis qui Dance and Chantal Delorme. Other forms of entertainment are being provided by VANOC, as well as the major corporate sponsors RBC and Coca-Cola.

To date not all of the runners have been announced, but those names are expected to come soon.

All runners have the chance to purchase their torch. Richardson said Twain has agreed to purchase hers and donate it back to the city.

More details about the event will continue to be announced as the official Vancouver 2010 Olympic Torch relay gets closer to Timmins.

http://www.timminspress.com/Article....aspx?e=2232576
Old 12-23-2009, 11:45 AM

Cool!!! Thanks for the article. Getting close!!!

Steve
Old 12-30-2009, 01:33 PM

Twain, torch travel similar roads
Posted By JOHN EMMS

In a few days Shania Twain will be participating in the Olympic torch relay -- an event that will eventually take more than 100 days and 45,000 kilometres to complete.

As sure as that Olympic torch has been carried through many communities in eastern Canada already, Twain's career has also -- in its own way -- travelled a long and winding road.

Think about it folks.

She is a long way from the Mattagami First Nation and a long way from singing at telethons and the Maple Leaf Hotel -- where Stompin' Tom made his mark.

She is also a long way from the Deerhurst musical revues and a long, long way from some early negative Nashville attitudes towards her initial musical endeavours.

For that fact alone, I dare anyone to say Twain did not work her way to the musical status she currently enjoys.

Not a lot of people would have hung in there. In fact, 90% of us would have quit long ago.

Maybe that's why I have always admired her drive, talent and ambition.

I've covered Twain from the first years of writing this column when I was running through a history of Timmins music.

But those early columns were not the first time I was aware of her drive and ambition.

For that we may have to go back to the early '80s.

If I was not playing a gig with a band I was singing at the Airport Hotel, or across the street at the Rocking Tap, or maybe seeing some cool Toronto band like Coney Hatch at the The Empire Hotel. You might have also seen me soaking in some "vibes" at J.P.'s Lounge at the Escapade Hotel.

At the time a lot of the musicians in our area were aware of each other's bands and musical efforts.

We played the same bars and we watched each other's sets.

Even though it was competition it was also fun.

I became aware of Twain's talent through the local musicians' grapevine.

I was writing a lot of songs at the time, and had even joined SOCAN years earlier.

There were only a few bands and musicians who were willing to perform their own songs.

Guy Martin (David Hartt) was one of them and that is a fact we shared then and do to this very day.

It was a small musical community so it was no surprise when I heard Dave was working with a female lead singer.

Being a lead vocalist myself, I had to check out their gigs.

Longshot was the name of the band and despite the fact I wanted to hear some original songs I was impressed by the band and the lead vocalist's ability to perform cover material from Journey, Pat Benatar and Toronto.

That was the first time I saw Twain on stage, but it would not be the last.

I still believe that her 2002 album "UP" is one of the finest pop albums ever recorded. A lot of the that album's big sound and eventual success was due to her ex-husband Mutt Lange.

Lange should be considered on a musical level with the greats, such as Phil Spector. He is a visionary producer, engineer and musician with the midas touch.

Still, it was a team effort. In fact, Twain's overall success has been a team effort. Make no mistake it was not a fluke.

It sometimes gets swept under the rug, but Twain was a musician early on. She knew chords on the guitar, she understood musical arrangements and she understood harmonies and different vocal keys and cues.

If you combine that with hard work and crucial timing you have in a nutshell what Twain's current status is today.

As fans know, Twain's musical output covers many genres including pop, new country and rock.

It is anticipated that she will release an album of new material in 2010.

That should mean a return to the celebrity circuit.

John Emms is a local musician, songwriter and performer. To read his blog

http://www.timminspress.com/Article....aspx?e=2241700
Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Board Administrator

You will be able to see pictures here

http://www.vancouver2010.com/more-2...h-relay-photos/

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 01-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Administrator

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/torch/new...+twains+ torch

No extra security for Shania Twain's torch run: officials
The Canadian Press
Posted Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:12 PM ET

TIMMINS, Ont. - Olympic officials say they won't be boosting security when Canadian country music superstar Shania Twain carries the torch Friday in her hometown of Timmins, Ont.

Twain's run with the flame will come four days after a torchbearer in Guelph, Ont., fell to the ground in a confrontation between protesters and security personnel.

"The security levels we have now are appropriate. There's no pre-plans to beef up security, but that might change on a moment's notice, based on crowd size or crowd behaviour,'' said Bert Paquet, spokesman for the Vancouver 2010 Integrated Security Unit.

"We have that ability to increase that level pretty much instantly.''

Torchbearer Courtney Hansen had just turned a corner with the torch in Guelph on Monday morning when she became entangled in the protest and fell.

The flame skidded against the ground but stayed lit. Guelph police have charged a 19-year-old woman with assault.

It's expected that Twain, a multiple Grammy-winner whose 1997 release "Come on Over'' remains the best-selling country music album of all time, will carry the torch during a two-hour celebration in Timmins on New Year's Day.

There have been no reports in Timmins media of any expected protests.

Paquet said security officials "don't want to take away'' the uniqueness of the torch run - both for Twain's fans and the singer herself - by having undue levels of security.

The security unit is working closely with local police, Paquet said, and if any "intelligence'' shows there could be a problem then they'll act quickly.

"Our job is to protect the torchbearer and the flame. And we will do that.''
Old 01-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Administrator

For videos of the torch relay, check here:

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-videos/

I am trying my best to take photos myself today, but I am having problems with the batteries due to the cold temperatures (-31C with the windchill today! )...

Debbie has a video camera she may be able to take a short video of Shania running to the stage....stay tuned....
Old 01-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Who's On First?

I had no idea you were in Timmins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post New Thread Reply