Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 07-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Board Administrator

SKC- More Club house openings

http://www.calgaryherald.com/entert...l?__federated=1

Canadian country star Shania Twain has never forgotten her difficult childhood.

Growing up in Ontario, she often went to school unfed and unwashed, and would forge sick notes to avoid telling her teachers she could not attend classes due to hunger.

At Calgary’s Catherine Nichols Gunn School on Monday, Twain launched Shania Kids Can (SKC) — a school-based charity targeting children who fall into the gap between a dysfunctional home life and social service intervention.

Children selected for the program will have access to a school clubhouse, where they will receive food, academic support and other assistance.

Twain, 49, said she had dreamed of starting a charity for children since she was a child.

“I always wished I could have had a better school and home life, and wanted to be able to give back to kids,” she said at the Calgary launch.

She hoped the program would inspire the children involved, and encourage them to enjoy their schooling.

“When I was a kid, I didn’t look forward to school ... it was a place where I was humiliated, I was often very uncomfortable to be at school — if I’d gone to school without a lunch, or why I didn’t have clean clothes.”

She struggled to concentrate due to hunger, and was unable to bathe when her home heating was turned off in winter.

Twain described her upbringing as stressful, and said she had developed her school program based on her own experiences.

“I do know what it is to be in their shoes.”

If she had the benefit of a program similar to her own, Twain believed she would have been more self-confident and may have pursued her dreams of becoming an architect or a veterinarian.

“I was very insecure in the school environment. I loved school and I loved learning, it just wasn’t really a place I felt comfortable in.”

The charity, which is supported locally by the Calgary Board of Education, and the Dilawri Foundation, already assists 300 children in Canada and the US.

Three other SKC programs are due to be launched in Toronto, Regina and Vancouver.

Schools operating in the charity’s designated areas can apply to join the organization.

If the school meets the criteria, it will receive a $100,000 first year annual budget for supplies, equipment and salaries.

The school chooses the children it believes will benefit from the program. Twain also visits the children to see how they are progressing.

Cathy Faber, superintendent of learning and innovation at CBE, said the CBE would monitor the success of the program, and consider extending the model into other schools.

Twain is due to perform on July 9 and 10 at the Scotiabank Saddledome, after her two Calgary shows sold out in minutes.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 07-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Board Administrator

Old 07-08-2014, 09:50 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Very nice. 49? I thought she was still 48 until August 28th.

Steve
Old 07-09-2014, 07:59 AM
Board Administrator

Grammy- and Juno-winning country star Shania Twain is leading an initiative to help school children across Canada and the U.S. who are dealing with poverty, neglect and abuse.

As part of the "Shania Kids Can Program", the Timmins native met with principals and teachers to see how her efforts are paying off. "It's emotional for me to see the kids, meet the principals and teachers that are joining forces to make this all happen," she tells ET Canada. "I don't feel personally responsible for changing their lives but I certainly took the responsibility on myself to give back."

Like the children she seeks to help, Shania didn't have the easiest upbringing either. Her parents were unable to provide her with clean clothes or breakfast every day. She knows how missing the seemingly simple necessities of everyday life can make success and good grades seem impossible.

True to her philanthropic ideals, Shania also strives to instill her empowering principles at home with her son. "It's all the little things every day," she explains. "Humility, generosity, taking responsibility for yourself and your actions — basic principles that build good character."

For the full interview with Shania Twain be sure to tune in to ET Canada tonight on Global.

-Chris

Old 07-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Administrator

A lot of work for Tracy too! LOL!