Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 11-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Who's On First?

.................the poll.............
Old 11-19-2005, 03:39 PM
Administrator

http://www.timminspress.com/webapp/...ssif=Editorials

Twain source of inspiration

The Daily Press
Editorial - Saturday, November 19, 2005 @ 07:00

Timmins’ own Shania Twain was inducted as an officer in the Order of Canada during a ceremony in Ottawa Friday.

The country diva’s inclusion in the class of 2005 is in honour of her lifetime of achievement.

The announcement from Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean’s office describes Twain’s ascent to country stardom as a “rags-to-riches” story.

Twain’s story is one most of this city’s 45,000 residents can recite from memory and those who can’t likely saw the CBC movie on Twain that aired earlier this month.

She began singing on the stages of local hotels at an early age, when she was still going by her given name, Eilleen.

Few of us had any clue back then, of course, Twain was destined for greatness.

The odds against making it big as a country star are long at best and even longer when you are starting out from the wilds of Northeastern Ontario — about as far away from Nashville as you can get and still be in North America.

For Twain, the odds got even longer when her parents, Jerry and Sharon, were killed in an automobile accident, and she was left to raise her brothers and sisters.

Long as those odds may have been, however, Twain did find a way to get her foot in the door of the music industry.

There was a lot of hard work along the way, of course, as she sang in small venues and worked at other jobs to make ends meet.

All the while Twain was working at her craft, perfecting her voice and continuing to write songs — a love she developed when she was only 10.

Even when she first burst upon the country music scene, Twain’s initial release in 1993 — the self-titled Shania Twain — did not take her to the top of the charts.

It wasn’t until 1995 when she released The Woman In Me that she established herself as one of the most popular women in country music.

She proved beyond a doubt she was no one-hit wonder with her subsequent releases, which included Come On Over, Come On Over — International Version, Up, and Greatest Hits.

In addition, her popularity transcended country-and-western fans as many of her hits proved just as popular with fans of other music genres.

And Twain’s success hasn’t been limited to her professional life.

Soon after breaking into the music business, she met and married Robert John ‘Mutt’ Lang, one of the top producers in the industry.

To say they have made beautiful music together would be an understatement.

Twain, Lang and their son, Aja, now make their home in Switzerland, but that hasn’t diminished her popularity here in North America.

She was on hand for the 39th Annual Country Music Association Awards in New York on Tuesday and introduced a new perfume in Toronto on Thursday before being honoured in Ottawa Friday.

So, not only is the Shania Twain story a “rags-to-riches” tale, it should also be a source of inspiration for all youngsters in Timmins and the surrounding area.

Regardless of whether the dream is to grow up to be a professional athlete, an actor, an astronaut or even premier or prime minister, Twain has proven anything is possible if you believe in yourself, are willing to put in the hard work and dedication and refuse to take no for an answer.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:47 PM
PROUD SHANIA FAN!

Did you notice that the writer doesn't know how to spell "Lange" or "Eja", also there is NO MENTION of her charity work! You would think that if anyone could get this right that it would be her hometown newspaper!

Success is related to standing out, not fitting in!
Old 11-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited
Did you notice that the writer doesn't know how to spell "Lange" or "Eja", also there is NO MENTION of her charity work! You would think that if anyone could get this right that it would be her hometown newspaper!

The Timmins "Daily Mess" was the paper that said Shania lied about her Indian heritage.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 11-19-2005, 04:10 PM
PROUD SHANIA FAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbspock
The Timmins "Daily Mess" was the paper that said Shania lied about her Indian heritage.

-Chris

I just don't understand how they can be so stupid and out of touch. Shania has put them on the map, without her they would be just another unknown small town.

This is a huge honor and I am feeling so proud for Shania and her family. I am feeling all gooey just thinking about it!

Success is related to standing out, not fitting in!
Old 11-19-2005, 04:57 PM

I feel the same way too, Limited!!! Her own newspaper could have done their homework better!!
Old 11-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited
I just don't understand how they can be so stupid and out of touch. Shania has put them on the map, without her they would be just another unknown small town.

This is a huge honor and I am feeling so proud for Shania and her family. I am feeling all gooey just thinking about it!

Visit Timmins and do an interview with them. They do try to twist things.

-Chris

Old 11-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Who's On First?

Hey at least they got Eilleen right and that is something that most media hacks don't ....and the editorial was pretty good...their proofreader needs to go back to fetching coffee and donuts methinks.......
Old 11-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Regardless of whether the dream is to grow up to be a professional athlete, an actor, an astronaut or even premier or prime minister, Twain has proven anything is possible if you believe in yourself, are willing to put in the hard work and dedication and refuse to take no for an answer.

-Chris

Old 11-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Who's On First?

Maybe Traci can send one of her staff over to give this rag some spelling lessons on Shania's world.....
Old 11-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINAHS
Maybe Traci can send one of her staff over to give this rag some spelling lessons on Shania's world.....

Tracy

-Chris

Old 11-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Who's On First?

She can even teach them how to spell her name.... ...the old-fashioned way...
Old 11-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINAHS
She can even teach them how to spell her name.... ...the old-fashioned way...

-Chris

Old 11-20-2005, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbspock
Guess, they never went to a concert, or really paid attention to anything she has ever said. Shania also has never used her efforts for free publicity or to pat herself on the back infront of the cameras like 99.99% of the celebrities do. It is not about lipservice to her.

-Chris
I agree Chris, Shania has never mentioned her charity for publicity. I mean just look how privately she funded that school for a year on her own and no one ever knew. This is how you know it comes from the heart and is sincere
Old 11-20-2005, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Twain has won Grammys, Junos and Country Music Association Awards, but yesterday she was clearly humbled by what she called "a life-changing experience."

She said sharing the stage with physicists, environmentalists, artists, activists and researchers fostered "a better understanding and a greater pride in the people of Canada."

"I was surprised, and I was very humbled," Twain said. "I'm not sure it's somewhere I belonged. I'm not even sure I'm quite deserving."

She said she will always cherish the red-and-white medal as something more than an award, something that acknowledges her contributions not merely as a performer but as a Canadian.

Wow.

-Chris

WOW exactly Chris! Shania always speaks from the heart...there is a quote similar to this on another post and Shania is asked what will she do with her award, if she will give it away like some of her other awards? Shania said those are awards, this is a reward...........WOW x 2

Last edited by jen : 11-20-2005 at 05:45 AM.
Post New Thread Reply