Watch Shania LIVE from Las Vegas - Feb. 28!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
Shania's UPClose and Personal DVD! Click to Order
[] Latest Shania News!
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Shania Twain Centre
[] Board Code of Conduct!
Click to Order Greatest Hits CD!
Please Support Shania's Cause!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 11-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Board Administrator

Shania Twain added to Order of Canada list
CTV.ca News Staff

Country singer Shania Twain will receive Canada's highest honour of achievement when she receives the Order of Canada Friday.

The Timmins, Ont. native will be among 43 recipients invested by Governor General Michaelle Jean.

Twain was a last-minute addition Tuesday, the same day she was a presenter at the Country Music Awards in New York City.

Twain will be one of 18 honourees invested as officers, while the other 25 will become members.

On her way to Ottawa, she will make a stopover in Toronto, where she will be interviewed by CTV Toronto. Her new single, "Shoes," is featured on the soundtrack for CTV's Desperate Housewives.

The announcement from the Governor General's office says Twain's "rags-to-riches story...has become legendary."

The Governor General's office said Twain's nomination is the result of her remaining true to her roots, and her dedication to eliminating child hunger.

Twain reportedly supports several food distribution agencies, such as school breakfast programs and food banks.

Twain was born Eilleen Regina Edwards in Windsor, Ont. in 1965, but was raised in Timmins. She signed her first recording contract in 1991 but her career took off in 1995 after meeting legendary rock producer Robert "Mutt" Lange, whom she later married.

Lang produced her 1995 breakout CD The Woman in Me, which topped the country charts for months, and even crossed over to the mainstream charts, peaking at number five.

According to the Governor General's office, Officers of the Order of Canada have demonstrated an outstanding level of talent and service to Canadians.

Members have made an exceptional contribution to Canada or Canadians at a more local or regional level.

The highest level, Companion, goes to those who have demonstrated the highest degree of merit to Canada and humanity on the national or international scene.

Other recipients this year include speed skater Catriona Le May Doan, actress Rita Lafontaine and former British Columbia premier David Barrett.

Established in 1967, the Order of Canada recognizes outstanding achievement and service in various fields. An advisory council chaired by the Chief Justice of Canada makes the recommendations for nominees.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...b=Entertainment

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 11-16-2005, 06:52 PM
*~I Love You Shania!~*

I love how everyone seems to be covering this event! I can't say enough how proud this makes me as a Shania fan! I'm just so completely filled with love and appreciation to see how far our Lady has come! Just like the "Oprah" show with Dolly, I bet Shania will be thinking at the Ceremony on Friday, "I wish my parents were here."

Shania's Still The One, Forever And For Always!

I You, Shania!

53 DAYS UNTIL THE FIFTH ANNUAL WORLDWIDE SHANIA TWAIN FAN CONVENTION!!! GET READY TO PARTY HARDY!!!

Last edited by STFanForever : 11-16-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:56 PM

Shania without question worked very hard and long for this wonderful honor. So much emotion spent and heartache to accomplish all she has achieved. The dedication to those in need being one of her most loving accomplishments...

We are all proud of our LADY no doubt and we all should feel like we had a small part in it as well.. From the yearly auction held to raise money and awareness of the hungry - every cd bought - every song requested - every concert attended - every cross stitch - every wallpaper- every hour spent on web sites- every time we have tried to spread the Shania word- every song written as a result of inspiration from Shania and her music - for personal wishes and dreams coming true thru meet n greets - I know there is more so feel free to ad what you will...........

I FEEL SO PROUD TO BE A FAN OF SHANIA TWAIN

Last edited by sas : 11-16-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:59 PM
*~I Love You Shania!~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas
Shania without question worked very hard and long for this wonderful honor. So much emotion spent and heartache to accomplish all she has achieved. The dedication to those in need being one of her most loving accomplishments...

We are all proud of our LADY no doubt and we all should feel like we had a small part in it as well.. From the yearly auction held to raise money and awareness of the hungry - every cd bought - every song requested - every concert attended - every cross stitch - every wallpaper- every hour spent on web sites- every time we have tried to spread the Shania word- every song written as a result of inspiration from Shania and her music - for personal wishes and dreams coming true thru meet n greets - I know there is more so feel free to ad what you will...........

I FEEL SO PROUD TO BE A FAN OF SHANIA TWAIN

Very well said, Betsy! And, thank you for correcting me. No longer is Shania "our girl"; she is now "our Lady"!

Shania's Still The One, Forever And For Always!

I You, Shania!

53 DAYS UNTIL THE FIFTH ANNUAL WORLDWIDE SHANIA TWAIN FAN CONVENTION!!! GET READY TO PARTY HARDY!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 08:31 PM
Board Administrator

Everything's In Order
Shania Twain will be back in her home country Friday in order to receive an Order of Canada designation, which is the highest honor given to north-of-the-border civilians. The ceremony, which "recognizes a lifetime of outstanding achievement, dedication to the community and service to the nation," will be held in the capital city of Ottawa.
Ottawa Citizen/canada.com

http://www.countrynow.com/cps/today.html?call=wusn

Old 11-16-2005, 09:39 PM

I totally agree with you Sas and I too am so proud of her and to be a fan and I wish her parents could see this right now! They would be so proud of her and I was thinking about this last night and it made me so emotional, and because I lost my mom last year and I miss her alot!!
Old 11-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Who's On First?

....we may have seen the last of her belly button phase....
Old 11-17-2005, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV
Channel 3 News in Timmins will be taping the Parliamentary Channel Friday morning (the only TV channel to carry the whole ceremony), to get video of Shania getting her award. They'll try to put it on the web that night, and into the weekend.

THANKS CORINNA for the INFO!!! So fans will be able to see a short clip of Shania at the ceremony online..

VERY COOL! THANKS CORINNA & Channel 3
Old 11-17-2005, 05:28 AM

Twain Order of the day

By DENIS ARMSTRONG, OTTAWA SUN

Country superstar Shania Twain will be made an Officer of the Order of Canada tomorrow morning at Rideau Hall -- and deservedly so.

Twain will be one of 43 recipients, including Olympic speed skater Catriona Le May Doan and former British Columbia premiere David Bennett, who will be honoured by Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean.

In announcing Twain's award, the GG's office noted her "rags-to-riches story" and work towards eliminating child hunger.

"From small-town Ontario to the pinnacle of the entertainment industry," the release said, "her journey has inspired countless other emerging musicians."

Twain was making the rounds in New York this week, with appearances on domestic diva Martha Stewart's show and later at the Country Music Association Awards to present the entertainer of the year award to Keith Urban.

Established in 1967, the Order of Canada honours three categories of members -- companion, officer and member.

Twain, who turned 40 in August, was born Eileen Edwards in Windsor. By 13, she was singing professionally including an appearance on CBC's The Tommy Hunter Show.

In 1993, she met and later married producer Mutt Lange who co-wrote and produced her second album The Woman in Me. With two chart-topping singles, Any Man of Mine and Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under, the album won the Grammy Award for best country album and the Academy of Country Music album of the year.

Her second album, 1997's Come On Over, sold more than 70 million copies worldwide.

Twain currently lives in Switzerland with Lange and their son Eja, and is working on her next studio album.
http://www.ottawasun.com/Showbiz/Mu...310301-sun.html

Last edited by Jud : 11-17-2005 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:07 AM
Board Administrator

Album news!!

-Chris

Old 11-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Who's On First?

Denis......... learn how to spell her name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2005, 01:09 PM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

This is making me prouder by the minute to be a fan of this lady. She is getting well-deserved recognition. It's about time. Gee, now when we go to see her in concert, do we stand at attention, until she tells us "at ease fans", you know, now that she will be an officer.

Steve
Old 11-17-2005, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Gee, now when we go to see her in concert, do we stand at attention, until she tells us "at ease fans", you know, now that she will be an officer.

:floor .........
Old 11-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Who's On First?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F
This is making me prouder by the minute to be a fan of this lady. She is getting well-deserved recognition. It's about time. Gee, now when we go to see her in concert, do we stand at attention, until she tells us "at ease fans", you know, now that she will be an officer.

Steve

................only if you are a Canadian at a Canadian concert...
Old 11-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Board Administrator

http://www.mix999.com/content/cp_ar...ws/e111755A.htm

Shania talks about everything but perfume
Updated at 17:28 on November 17, 2005, EST.

Shania Twain poses for photographers with her new perfume between interviews in Toronto, Thursday. Shania was in Toronto on Thursday to promote her new fragrance. (CP/Adrian Wyld)
TORONTO (CP) - For a girl who had to cook for herself at the age of five and sang with aspirations of one day being a backup singer for Stevie Wonder, being awarded the Order of Canada was not even part of Shania Twain's wildest dreams.

"Yeah, (the honour) is overwhelming and I don't even believe it," Twain said, letting out a loud guffaw Thursday towards the end of a daylong media blitz in Toronto. "So, I'm pretty excited."

Adding her name to the growing list of perfume-pushing celebrities, Twain was in town to promote her new fragrance, Shania by Stetson. But when a reporter has less than 10 minutes with one of Canada's biggest stars, questions must be chosen carefully and quickly. Fragrance didn't make the cut.

"We ran out of time, I don't know what happened, but I gotta catch a plane," she said, apologizing for ending an interview to get to the airport. She was flying to Ottawa where she'll receive the Order of Canada on Friday alongside others who have made a difference to the country, including former B.C. premier David Barrett and athlete Catriona Le May Doan.

Despite her international success as a country singer, pop star and spokesmodel for Revlon, Twain has not forgotten her less-than-humble beginnings.

While she admits to having had a rough childhood in Timmins, Ont., where she basically raised herself, she won't get specific other than admitting sometimes going to bed with an empty stomach.

"Hunger is one I can share comfortably ... there are a whole host of problems that come with poverty," said Twain, looking fresh even after a day of answering questions.

Like almost any mom, she wants to protect her four-year-old son from just about everything bad. But she absolutely never wants her son to go through what she knew too well: wondering where the next meal is coming from.

"I don't have any regrets," she said of her childhood, adding that a lot of times she simply couldn't depend on her parents - not because they didn't want to be there, they just weren't always able to be there.

"You manage."

Beyond ensuring a full pantry for her son, Twain is doing more for children: an unnamed school in Ontario is the recipient of her financial goodwill. She provides a salary for a full-time teacher at the school to provide underprivileged kids with tutoring and healthy food, and to help them integrate with the rest of the kids.

"This doesn't just tackle the food and hunger," she said, trying not to sink into the very large couch in a downtown hotel suite.

"A lot of underprivileged kids really don't fit in very well in school ... which is exactly what it was like for me in my primary years," she said, adding that by the time they hit high school, kids have either learned to cope or are heading towards disaster.

By the time Twain got to high school, not only was she fitting in, other kids used to sneak into bars to hear her sing - perhaps out of rebellion, or maybe these kids recognized a diamond in the rough. Twain has gone on to win Grammys, Junos and Country Music Association Awards.

Between her music career and caring for her son, the 40-year-old doesn't find the time to work out. More accurately, she hates gyms. Twain said she owes her still-petite frame to her genes ("My mom was a bone rack her whole life"), going for long, brisk walks and a diet free of meat, poultry and fish.

She admits to having cellulite - and to loving chocolate. Not pure chocolate in delicately rich, tiny portions. She's talking about candy bars.

And her down-home tastes don't end there. Before she adopted her husband's carnivorous-free ways, her favourite meat was roast bear.

Just as well she made the switch. A wild-meat eater might not make an ideal perfume-pitch girl.

The Canadian Press, 2005

Post New Thread Reply