Watch Shania LIVE from Las Vegas - Feb. 28!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
Shania's UPClose and Personal DVD! Click to Order
[•] Latest Shania News!
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Shania Twain Centre
[•] Board Code of Conduct!
Click to Order Greatest Hits CD!
Please Support Shania's Cause!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 11-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Board Administrator

Notice how Shania did this for the media attention..

Twain is doing more for children: an unnamed school in Ontario is the recipient of her financial goodwill. She provides a salary for a full-time teacher at the school to provide underprivileged kids with tutoring and healthy food, and to help them integrate with the rest of the kids.

Imagine the other stuff she does to help that we don't know about.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 11-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Board Administrator

Roger sent me this....

Here is the answer, Chris.

I asked Lucie Brosseau at the Rideau Hall Press Office about this today. There is no term like "Honourable" or "Lady" to be used to or about Shania. Shania has the right to add the letters OC after her name. This stands for Officer of the Order of Canada. Those people who are at the lower Member level can affix the letters CM after their name which, somehow, stands for Member of the Order of Canada.

BTW in case you don't see it. Here is how to see Shania receive her Order: http://www.shaniatwaincentre.com/fo...topic.php?t=757

-Chris

Old 11-17-2005, 07:23 PM

http://www.ccnmatthews.com/news/rel...ctionFor=568227

NOVEMBER 17, 2005 - 18:31 ET

The Will of a Woman: Shania Twain Visits Toronto to Introduce her Debut Fragrance

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - Nov. 17, 2005) -

Editors Note: Photos for this release will be available on the CP picture wire via CCNMatthews.

Canadian-born country singing sensation, Shania Twain, made a visit to Toronto today to promote her debut fragrance, Shania by Stetson. On a whirlwind visit, Shania dropped by CityLine to spend an hour with host Marilyn Denis and then headed off to a downtown Toronto hotel to introduce the fragrance to the media.

Shania was involved in every aspect of the development of the fragrance from the packaging to the scent and the advertising campaign. The process began over a year ago when she met with the team to develop the scent. Shania wanted the fragrance to reflect her love of natural scents and incorporate some of her favourite scents including grapefruit, roses and "fresh outdoor air".

Shania will appear on the November 24th episode of The Apprentice in which the two teams were entrusted with the task of creating a marketing campaign for the fragrance.

Next on her itinerary, Shania will receive this country's highest honour for lifetime achievement when she is invested as an officer of the Order of Canada during a ceremony in Ottawa on Friday, November 18th.

Marketed and distributed by Coty Canada, Shania by Stetson is available at drugstores and mass retailers nationwide. 30 ml Eau de Toilette Spray ($27.00 SRP), 50 ml Eau de Toilette Spray ($36.00 SRP), 200 ml Body Lotion ($12.00 SRP).

THE WILL OF A WOMAN

About Shania Twain

Singing sensation Shania Twain is the best-selling female country artist of all time. A five-time Grammyฎ Award winner with scores of chart-topping hits, Shania's "Come On Over" album is the 6th biggest selling album of all time. She is also the only artist in the history of recorded music to have three consecutive albums with record sales that top 10 million copies each. Her total album sales exceed 65 million copies worldwide.

About Coty Inc.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbspock
Roger sent me this....

I asked Lucie Brosseau at the Rideau Hall Press Office about this today. There is no term like "Honourable" or "Lady" to be used to or about Shania. Shania has the right to add the letters OC after her name. This stands for Officer of the Order of Canada. Those people who are at the lower Member level can affix the letters CM after their name which, somehow, stands for Member of the Order of Canada.

BTW in case you don't see it. Here is how to see Shania receive her Order: http://www.shaniatwaincentre.com/fo...topic.php?t=757

-Chris

WOAH thanks for that link, I hope they can get it online
Old 11-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Board Administrator

So, what is the weather like in Ottawa?

-Chris

Old 11-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Board Administrator

It is pretty sad that CMT (USA) is not even mentioning the honor Shania is getting tomorrow. Shame on them!

-Chris

Old 11-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Board Administrator

at least one country site gets it...

Shania to receive Canada's highest honor
-- Shania Twain will receive Canada's highest honor for lifetime achievement when she is invested as an officer of the Order of Canada during a ceremony in Ottawa on Friday (11/18).
A lofty achievement for a girl who had to cook for herself at the age of five and had aspirations of one day being a backup singer for Stevie Wonder.

"Yeah, (the honor) is overwhelming and I don't even believe it," Shania told the Canadian Press on Thursday in Toronto. "So, I'm pretty excited."

-countrynation.com

Old 11-18-2005, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbspock
Roger sent me this....

-Chris
Can we still bow if we meet shania?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:01 AM

Thrilling Order for Shania

Superstar surprised she's receiving top lifetime achievement award

By JANE STEVENSON, TORONTO SUN, Fri, November 18, 2005

TORONTO -- Shania Twain's having quite a week, even for someone who's sold 65 million albums and is the best-selling female country artist of all-time.

The Timmins-raised singer introduced Martha Stewart to the "Canadian comfort food" poutine on the TV show Martha; presented an award, along with Billy Joel, at the Country Music Association Awards in New York; launched her new perfume, Shania by Stetson, in North America; and will become an Officer of the Order of Canada today at a ceremony at Rideau Hall.

The prestigious event has Twain both bewildered and thrilled.

"It's outrageous," the 40-year-old Twain said yesterday during a 10-minute chat with Sun Media in a Toronto hotel room where she was running an hour late in her hectic interview schedule.

"I guess it's just such a surprise. I wasn't expecting it. That's for amazing philanthropists who dedicate their entire lives to saving countries and things. I'm just a singer, you know what I mean? It's just kind of weird."

FIGHTS CHILD HUNGER

Twain, who struggled through dirt-poor beginnings in Timmins and often went hungry as a youngster but who now lives extremely well in Switzerland, has long been involved in eliminating child hunger through food banks and breakfast programs in schools.

"I didn't really think that many people knew about it, the charity, to be honest," said Twain, who will be joined at the Order of Canada ceremony by her cousin from Timmins, who works for social services.

Others who have made a difference to the country, including former B.C. premier David Barrett and athlete Catriona Le May Doan, will also be invested.

"I promote the charity in concerts, but I'm talking more to the fans. Obviously, I'm trying to build awareness, but it's personal. And I use music, I exploit that, in a sense, to promote the charity. I just didn't see that as something worthy of this honour but, anyway, I'm so thrilled. I'm honoured."

Twain, who isn't prone to emotions, broke into tears earlier in the day on CITY-TV's CityLine with Marilyn Dennis while talking about growing up disadvantaged, ashamed and nervous.

"I prayed so much when I was a kid," she said on the show. "I just wanted to be swept away. I wanted music to take me away. I wanted music to adopt me and take me away from all that hell. I'm getting emotional. Let's move on!"

Some of those difficult experiences were recounted in the recent CBC-TV movie, Shania: A Life In Eight Albums, that aired in Canada less than two weeks ago.

HASN'T SEEN FILM

But Twain, who had no involvement in the biopic of her early life, has yet to see it.

"I don't think I will," she said. "I have a couple of friends that saw it. I don't want to offend anybody, but there were things that just weren't true. So it was kind of funny, but not overly offensive. They weren't out to hurt me or anybody, that was evident, and I appreciated that. But of course, they're not going to get all the facts straight unless they're coming from me."

Still to come? Next Thursday, Twain will appear on NBC-TV's The Apprentice, where Donald Trump's job candidates will compete to market Shania by Stetson.

"I'm their task. Marketing me is their task," said Twain, who spent a day on The Apprentice set.

So far, the only new music that Twain has released this year was the single, Shoes, from the soundtrack for the ABC hit series Desperate Housewives.

"They requested it, so I did it especially for that, but it's not because I'm putting out a record," said Twain. "It's cool. I heard the original song and I thought, 'This is up my alley so why not do it?' "

Twain doesn't know when she'll be releasing a new album, but there will be one.

"Of course, I'll be back in the studio. I'm writing."

MADE TO ORDER

Shania Twain will receive the Order of Canada today:

- The Order of Canada was established in 1967 to recognize outstanding achievement and service in various fields of human endeavour. It is Canada's highest honour for lifetime achievement.

- Three different levels of membership -- Companion, Officer and Member -- honour people whose accomplishments vary in degree and scope.

- Appointments are made on the recommendation of an advisory council, chaired by the chief justice of Canada. The governor general is the Chancellor and Principal Companion of the Order.

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/News/Nationa...311891-sun.html

Last edited by Jud : 11-18-2005 at 03:06 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:15 AM

Old 11-18-2005, 03:36 AM

Twain says award puts her in great company

CTV.ca News Staff

Her simple start in life gave no clue that Shania Twain would one day travel the world singing her songs to millions of people.

Even further from her mind would have been thoughts of developing a perfume fragrance to sell under her name.

Finally, being recognized with Canada's highest civilian honour – The Order of Canada – is an even bigger surprise for the Timmins, Ontario native. However, Twain takes it all in stride.

"I feel really neat about it," the singer told CTV Toronto reporter Jacintha Wesselingh. "It's nice, it's a real honour and … I'll just be in such great company."

Twain said she is looking forward to Friday's awards ceremony with Governor General Michaelle Jean.

It tops off an extraordinary week for anyone, even an international singing star. Tuesday night she shared a stage with Billy Joel at the Country Music Association Awards in New York City.

On Friday she will join 43 other people – including speed skater Catriona Le May Doan and Former British Columbia Premier David Barrett – receiving the nation's top honour.

Awards do not seem to motivate Twain. After all, she has won a dozen Junos and five Grammys in the course of selling 34 million CDs worldwide. Instead, her recent charitable work for Canadian children gets her most excited during interviews.

Perhaps her memories of sometimes being hungry as a child prompted her to give a boost to underprivileged children.

An unnamed school in Ontario receives from Twain a salary for a full-time teacher who provides needy children with good food and private tutoring. The program is customized for each school, offering lessons in life skills such as cooking, as well as academic assistance if needed.

"Our pilot year was a great success, and all the kids in the school benefit, it brings them together," Twains says.

"The program is growing as the school board adds two more schools. It's working, so I'm very excited and very happy about it."

"The goal is to get the entire country on the program," Twain said with a laugh.

It is an idea that is probably sweeter than the perfume bearing her name.

With files from The Canadian Press.

Shania Twain poses for photographers with her new perfume between interviews in Toronto, Thursday Nov. 17, 2005. (CP / Adrian Wyld)

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...b=Entertainment
Old 11-18-2005, 03:41 AM

Latest news about broadcasting, thanks to Roger:

Quote:
I got this information from Lucie Brosseau at the Rideau Hall Press
Office.

The overall ceremony will not be televised live except for the portion
involving Shania Twain. This will be broadcast live some time from 11
to 11:30 tomorrow morning on CTV Newsnet.

The entire ceremony will be televised on a delayed basis on both Rogers
and CPAC. Check listings over the next few days and weeks.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:34 AM
Board Administrator

TORONTO -- Shania Twain's having quite a week, even for someone who's sold 65 million albums and is the best-selling female country artist of all-time.

The Timmins-raised singer introduced Martha Stewart to the "Canadian comfort food" poutine on the TV show Martha; presented an award, along with Billy Joel, at the Country Music Association Awards in New York; launched her new perfume, Shania by Stetson, in North America; and will become an Officer of the Order of Canada today at a ceremony at Rideau Hall.

The prestigious event has Twain both bewildered and thrilled.

"It's outrageous," the 40-year-old Twain said yesterday during a 10-minute chat with Sun Media in a Toronto hotel room where she was running an hour late in her hectic interview schedule.

"I guess it's just such a surprise. I wasn't expecting it. That's for amazing philanthropists who dedicate their entire lives to saving countries and things. I'm just a singer, you know what I mean? It's just kind of weird."

FIGHTS CHILD HUNGER

Twain, who struggled through dirt-poor beginnings in Timmins and often went hungry as a youngster but who now lives extremely well in Switzerland, has long been involved in eliminating child hunger through food banks and breakfast programs in schools.

"I didn't really think that many people knew about it, the charity, to be honest," said Twain, who will be joined at the Order of Canada ceremony by her cousin from Timmins, who works for social services.

Others who have made a difference to the country, including former B.C. premier David Barrett and athlete Catriona Le May Doan, will also be invested.

"I promote the charity in concerts, but I'm talking more to the fans. Obviously, I'm trying to build awareness, but it's personal. And I use music, I exploit that, in a sense, to promote the charity. I just didn't see that as something worthy of this honour but, anyway, I'm so thrilled. I'm honoured."

Twain, who isn't prone to emotions, broke into tears earlier in the day on CITY-TV's CityLine with Marilyn Dennis while talking about growing up disadvantaged, ashamed and nervous.

"I prayed so much when I was a kid," she said on the show. "I just wanted to be swept away. I wanted music to take me away. I wanted music to adopt me and take me away from all that hell. I'm getting emotional. Let's move on!"

Some of those difficult experiences were recounted in the recent CBC-TV movie, Shania: A Life In Eight Albums, that aired in Canada less than two weeks ago.

HASN'T SEEN FILM

But Twain, who had no involvement in the biopic of her early life, has yet to see it.

"I don't think I will," she said. "I have a couple of friends that saw it. I don't want to offend anybody, but there were things that just weren't true. So it was kind of funny, but not overly offensive. They weren't out to hurt me or anybody, that was evident, and I appreciated that. But of course, they're not going to get all the facts straight unless they're coming from me."

Still to come? Next Thursday, Twain will appear on NBC-TV's The Apprentice, where Donald Trump's job candidates will compete to market Shania by Stetson.

"I'm their task. Marketing me is their task," said Twain, who spent a day on The Apprentice set.

So far, the only new music that Twain has released this year was the single, Shoes, from the soundtrack for the ABC hit series Desperate Housewives.

"They requested it, so I did it especially for that, but it's not because I'm putting out a record," said Twain. "It's cool. I heard the original song and I thought, 'This is up my alley so why not do it?' "

Twain doesn't know when she'll be releasing a new album, but there will be one.

"Of course, I'll be back in the studio. I'm writing."

MADE TO ORDER

Shania Twain will receive the Order of Canada today:

- The Order of Canada was established in 1967 to recognize outstanding achievement and service in various fields of human endeavour. It is Canada's highest honour for lifetime achievement.

- Three different levels of membership -- Companion, Officer and Member -- honour people whose accomplishments vary in degree and scope.

- Appointments are made on the recommendation of an advisory council, chaired by the chief justice of Canada. The governor general is the Chancellor and Principal Companion of the Order.

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/News/Nationa...311891-sun.html

Old 11-18-2005, 05:45 AM

This article was posted above already in this page
Old 11-18-2005, 05:50 AM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud
This article was posted above already in this page

I know, I just realized. The picture is cool though.

-Chris

Post New Thread Reply