Watch Shania LIVE from Las Vegas - Feb. 28!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
Shania's UPClose and Personal DVD! Click to Order
[•] Latest Shania News!
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Shania Twain Centre
[•] Board Code of Conduct!
Click to Order Greatest Hits CD!
Please Support Shania's Cause!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 04-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Board Administrator

I guess Shania isn't ready yet.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 04-22-2010, 03:59 PM

'American Idol': Shania Twain to mentor, so what should the Top 6 sing?
By Andrea Reiher

April 22, 2010

Country is coming and Shania Twain is coming back to "American Idol" next week. FOX previously told Zap2it that she was not confirmed, so we're glad they got Shania locked in to mentor, as she was an excellent guest judge.

FOX also announced performances by Lady Antebellum and Rascal Flatts for the results show on Wednesday, April 28.

We do have to say that we wish the catalog was just country music and not specific to Shania. She's great, very talented vocalist. But her songs are in that beautiful-woman-pop-country vein and it really limits the contestants. We fear there could be some bad Kountry Karaoke in store. It will certainly be an interesting week, to say the least.

We definitely think the Idols need to steer clear of the really well-known Shania songs because we've all heard them a zillion times, plus then tend to be Women Power songs ("Any Man of Mine," "Honey, I'm Home," "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under"), though we would pay a lot of money to watch Aaron Kelly sing his little heart out on "Any Man of Mine." That should be like an "Idol" outtake.

Here are our suggestions for the Idols:

Casey James, "Crime of the Century"
This song has an old-school sound to it, very roughneck, very not-Shania. Casey could stick to his growly, guitar-playing groove within the theme. With lyrics like, "You came on like Jesse James/ You stole my heart like you were robbin' trains/ I'm gonna lock you up for life with me/ It was the crime of the century," how is this NOT a Casey song?

Lee Dewyze, "Don't"
This is the most Lee-like song of the bunch. He could make it decidedly not country and bring it into his lane very easily. Plus, it could show a more romantic side of him with lyrics like, "Don't fight, don't argue/ Give me the chance to say that I'm sorry/ Just let me love you/ Don't turn me away," which would probably serve him well as the under-the-radar-hottie.

Michael Lynche, "Forever and For Always"
"Wanna wake up every morning to your sweet face. Always." This one will have the women crying in the aisles. We all know he loves his wife and daughter, this a lovely ballad, plus it has the high stuff on "And there ain't no way I'm letting you go now," which will let Big Mike show off his gorgeous falsetto.

Siobhan Magnus, "God Bless the Child"
No, this is not a country version of the Billie Holiday song from 1941. This is Shania's song from 1995 and it's a doozy. The album version is done entirely a capella and with lyrics about hunger and homelessness and suffering children, Siobhan could have an amazing week on this song. She has the vocal chops to pull it off, we really want her to choose this piece.

Crystal Bowersox, "It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing"
Shania's version of this song is just a little on the pop-y side for Crystal, but don't imagine she'd do a carbon-copy anyway. If she busts out the guitar and some lyrics like, "And it only hurts when I'm breathing/ My heart only breaks when it's beating/ My dreams only die when I'm dreaming/ So, I hold my breath--to forget," she should have a great week again. The chorus has a lilting up-swing on every other note, we'd love to hear Crystal's pretty upper register on that.

Aaron Kelly, "You're Still the One"
We don't even know for this little moppet, but since he seems to like tackling those big songs that he doesn't connect with and can stand there with his weird foot-stomping-swaying thing, this seems like what Aaron will pick.

What do you guys think of our picks?

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsideth...top-6-sing.html
Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Board Administrator

Crime is not a Shania song. She didn't write it. She only sang it.

-chris

Old 04-23-2010, 06:35 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

I found this by accident:

American Idol 2010: It’s Shania Twain Week
Tagged: American Idol, American Idol 2010, Season 9, Shania Twain, Top 6
Posted by: Ashley

Shania Twain was my favorite guest judge during the audition process and I’m not surprised they brought her in to mentor the Top 6 and sing her catalogue for this week of American Idol season 9.

Casey James ripped off his shirt for Shania so maybe, just maybe, we can have a repeat performance Tuesday night lol.

Choosing songs from her list is going to be hard. I can see Casey James doing “Rock This Country” but I think he needs to slow things down this week and really show off his vocal range so maybe “You’ve Got a Way” or “It Only Hurts When I’m Breathing”.

Big Mike Lynche would do well with “From This Moment” and put an R&B spin on it. That would be cool.

Aaron Kelly could choose “There Goes The Neighborhood” and do it justice.

I like Ka – Ching! for Lee Dewyze. It’s got a nice beat and he could come out and rock it with a smile and a little movement around the stage and that would be a nice change and something we haven’t seen him do yet. He needs to own that stage!

OK the women are actually hard to choose for. Siobhan needs to show us all this week what kind of an artist she wants to be so whatever she chooses, she needs to put her own spin on the song. Maybe “You’re Still The One”? Shania has a much lower voice than Siobhan so she needs to keep that in mind when choosing a song. Crystal could change it up this week and surprise us all with “Man, I Feel Like A Woman” or if she wanted to keep it slow than “Forever and For Always”.

What do you think these contestants should choose from the Shania Twain catalogue?

http://americanidolnet.com/

Interesting choices???

I do agree with the above comment that it will be hard for them to do her songs, but we'll see. Crystal is awesome. She can sing anything, and Siobhan has the pipes for GBTC. Just wish Shania was going to sing, but maybe that was her wish since it's been such a long time.

Steve
Old 04-23-2010, 12:04 PM

Why Shania Twain makes a great 'American Idol' theme

I can't tell you how thrilled I am that Shania Twain will return to American Idol as a mentor this season. I've long thought she was one of the smartest, savviest entertainers around -- traits she showed during her stint as a guest judge earlier this season.

Even better, Twain's songs are uniquely suited the Idol format.

For one thing, they're very adaptable. Collaborating with then-husband Mutt Lange as producer, Twain often made records that sounded as influenced by honky-tonk and Western swing as by Def Leppard and AC/DC. As a result, a song like (If You're Not in It for Love) I'm Outta Here could work as an electrified hard-rock stomp or as an acoustic country blues (are you listening, Casey James?).

Also, Twain loves the idea of re-arranging songs. "I'm not a purist when it comes to genre," Twain told me around the time Up! came out. "I'm a student of all the influences I grew up listening to. It's natural for me to hear my song in many different ways."

Twain's last studio album -- 2002's Up! -- came in three versions: a country disc, a pop disc and an international disc that featured Bollywood elements. And in this clip from CMT's Up! Close and Personal, she performs AC/DC's You Shook Me All Night Long acoustically, with Allison Krauss + Union Station.

Also, the Idol contestants should benefit from the way Twain writes her material. She and Lange intentionally designed her songs to hook the listener's attention, then keep it by offering rhythmic and melodic sections that changed faster than the audience could get bored. Honey, I'm Home, for instance, starts out like a thumping Def Leppard rocker, then suddenly shifts gears into a line-dancing shuffle at the chorus. I'm Gonna Getcha Good! goes through three completely different sections in quick succession -- a low, purring verse followed a bridge with more sustained notes that builds tension released by its bouncy chorus.

Cutting those songs down for Idol time constraints should only accelerate the effect. It'll force the singers to switch gears pretty quickly, but, as long as they manage that, the performances will move along at a good clip, the singers will get to show several facets of their voices, and they ought to get more lighting changes than usual, too.

However, Twain's punctuation-heavy songs can trip you up if you're at all self-conscious. If you have any reservations whatsoever about singing lines like "I gol-darn gone and done it" (from Love Gets Me Every Time), "Rub my feet, gimme something to eat" (from Honey, I'm Home) or "Even my skin is acting weird/I wish that I can grow a beard" (from Up!), you run a great risk of looking like a fool when you try. Unfortunately, Idol just got rid of its one contestant this season who didn't seem to care if he looked goofy.

Here's the full list of Shania Twain songs iTunes has on its American Idol list, which includes not only the songs from Twain's three hit albums -- The Woman in Me, Come on Over and Up! -- but earlier material that she generally has shunned, as well as Amneris' Letter from Elton John's Broadway musical, Aida.

All Fired Up, No Place to Go
Amneris' Letter
Any Man of Mine
Black Eyes, Blue Tears
Come on Over
Crime of the Century
Dance with the One That Brought You
Don't!
Don't Be Stupid (You Know I Love You)
(Don't Gimme That) Once Over
Forever and for Always
From This Moment On
God Bless the Child
Home Ain't Where His Heart Is (Anymore)
Honey, I'm Home
I Ain't No Quitter
If It Don't Take Two
(If You're Not in It for Love) I'm Outta Here!
I'm Gonna Getcha Good!
I'm Holdin' on to Love (To Save My Life)
I'm Jealous
It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing)
It's Alright
Ka-Ching!
Lost My Heart
Love Gets Me Every Time
Man! I Feel Like a Woman!
Nah!
No One Needs to Know
Party for Two
Rock This Country!
She's Not Just A Pretty Face
Shoes
Thank You Baby! (For Makin' Someday Come So Soon)
That Don't Impress Me Much
There Goes the Neighborhood
Up!
What Made You Say That
When You Kiss Me
Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?
You Lay a Whole Lot of Love on Me
You Win My Love
You're Still the One
You've Got a Way
Waiter! Bring Me Water!
Whatever You Do! Don't!
When
When You Kiss Me
Wild & Wicked
The Woman in Me (Needs the Man in You)

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...an-idol-theme/1

Last edited by cbspock : 04-23-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Board Administrator

Shania gets underestimated, her songs are pretty tough.

-Chris

Old 04-23-2010, 03:23 PM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

That's wild, and I don't think the average person realizes how many songs she has written or co-written or just sung. As the list shows, a lot. Just like Elvis night, I will be greatly anticipating this night.

Steve
Old 04-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Board Administrator

In itunes they have the "Shania Twain Songbook" in the American Idol promotion banner.

-Chris

Old 04-24-2010, 01:27 PM

Shania Twain goes from idol, to idle, to Idol

April 24, 2010

Shania Twain, who will be mentoring American Idol contestants this week as she helps prepare each of them to perform one of her own songs on the show, will be returning to the national spotlight on Idol after having spent much of the decade out of the spotlight. After releasing her fourth studio album “Up!” in 2002, the country pop singer has released another once since, save for 2004’s “Greatest Hits” collection. In fact her biggest instances in the limelight over the past eight years have been her carrying of the Olympic torch through Canada earlier this year and her guest judge appearance on Idol last year.

While there’s still no definitive word on the status of her next album, the singer, whose biggest hits include “Man! I Feel Like a Woman!” and “That Don’t Impress Me Much” is scheduled to star in her own television show on Oprah Winfrey’s new TV network next year. It seems like Twain, who has sold more than fifty million albums and has a stash of Grammy trophies, could return to the music spotlight anytime she chooses – but for now her fans will have to settle for her Idol appearance, which apparently will not include a performance of her own, as opposed to the two most recent mentors, Alicia Keys and Adam Lambert, who each also performed one of their newest songs on the show.

http://www.beatweek.com/news/4848-s...o-idle-to-idol/
Old 04-24-2010, 03:10 PM

American Idols ‘pysched’ to meet Shania Twain!

April 24th, 2010 by Lisa McGarry.

The remaining American Idol contestants have taken to their official Facebook page today, to express their excitement about meeting country singing legend Shania Twain.

Shania will be mentoring the hopefuls for this week’s live show, on which they will all sing one of her songs. She has previously appeared as a guest judge for the Chicago auditions and helped put Katelyn Epperley through to Hollywood week.

On the day ahead, Siobhan Magnus wrote:

I’m awfully joyous today. Got some fresh ink last night with lee and mike! Also psyched to meet Shania today! And still feeling stunned about seeing courtney love in the flesh he other night… Life is good)

Michael Lynche added:

Awesome day ahead of us! On our way to meet Shania Twain!!! I bet she’ll be even more beautiful in person! And that voice! Can’t wait to see how the day plays out. Love you guys. Rally the troops for Tuesday!!!

Casey James said:

Meeting Shania Twain today! Can’t wait to see what she has to say. It’s gonna be a little different since we are singing her songs! Have a great afternoon everyone!

Young Aaron Kelly gushed:

Todays the mentor shoot, movies later Can’t wait to meet Shania.

Crystal Bowersox pened:

Anything Michael Franti moves me. Awesome music. You guys should check it out! Meeting with Shania T. Today. Can’t wait!

While Lee Dewyz concluded:

Hey everyone! Meeting Shania again! I’m psyched I got a new tattoo last night, I love it! The mountains are unreal out here. I’ll definately update when this is over, love you guys and I’ll talk to you later!

I can’t wait to see how Shania does as a mentor. Will she be gushing like Miley Cyrus or give constructive advice like Adam Lambert? I’m looking forward to finding out, are you?

http://www.unrealitytv.co.uk/americ...t-shania-twain/
Old 04-24-2010, 05:49 PM

Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Administrator

I am thinking that I do not know how I will take other people singing Shania songs...yuck! LOL! It will be tough to hear that....
Old 04-24-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV
I am thinking that I do not know how I will take other people singing Shania songs...yuck! LOL! It will be tough to hear that....

Those that have heard me sing "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!" should be able to handle it.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:33 AM

Too bad, my vcr is not working. Anyway, i will be watching it.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV

Let's give it a chance. But it will be hard.
Post New Thread Reply