Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > General
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 11-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Board Administrator

The end of the CD?

It seems the online magazine Side-Line is among a number of publications reporting that all the major music industry labels are preparing to abandon the Compact Disc format by the end of 2012, in favor of download/streaming only releases via iTunes, Amazon and other digital music services. You know, I'm really not all that surprised. (Though I WILL be surprised if CDs disappear completely next year, given all the indie labels and distributors that still do well with the format.) Nor am I really all that bothered by it. I'm a big music fan, but it's been a while since I purchased an album on CD myself. Actually, what I've been doing lately instead is trying to track down 24-bit vinyl rips of a lot of my favorite albums, which sound FAR superior to regular CDs anyway. I find that, as I get older, when I spend my hard-earned money on music what I really want is high quality. MP3s simply do not cut it anymore for me. For example: When I purchased Peter Gabriel's recent New Blood album, I made sure to get the 24-bit, high-resolution version he offered online. And I'm damn glad I did. Now... I certainly recognize that I might be in a minority of all music consumers, but I'd bet there's still a LOT of guys like me and Matt out there, who have built up nice audio systems (related to home theatre viewing) and who have come to really appreciate high quality music presentation. In fact, Matt's recently become a vinyl hound, going to monthly LP shows to find copies of a lot of his old favorites. For a long time, I thought the whole vinyl resurgence thing was a joke. Then I heard the 45 RPM LP version of the Foo Fighters' Wasted Light. DAMN! It's so much better than the CD, there's almost no comparison. The only thing that captures that same level of sonic quality is a 24-bit digital presentation, not ripped from CD but created directly from the recording masters. So personally, I really don't have a problem kissing music CDs goodbye... as long as the labels FINALLY start offering their "download/stream only" releases with a lossless option.

wwwdigitalbits.com

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 11-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Administrator

I saw it coming...I am not sure what to make of it...I guess it's progress....?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:07 PM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Granted I do download from i-tunes, and copy to my Sony player, but I still burn to disc a lot too. Guess the disc is going the way of the cassette.

Steve
Old 11-24-2011, 05:50 AM

For me, whether vinyl, cd or cassette, no problem. As long as their are available players to use those format.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:47 PM

I'm thinking of getting one of these turntables that can be plugged into a pc to convert LPs to CD or MP3s. They are getting pretty reasonably priced now. I have some vinyl LPs that are not available on CD and I would like to have them to play when I go places. Since I have an MP3 plugin in my car, it can be either CD or that.

Steve
Old 11-29-2011, 05:41 AM

Old 11-29-2011, 06:04 PM

Interesting, looks nice. Thanks.

Steve