Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 11-10-2008, 02:02 PM

Recommendation XXXVIII: Shania Twain

My thirty-eighth recommendation is: Shanias Twains I Aint Goin Down from her 2002 Up! album. Yes, yes, we have gotten to her (for those who didnt know me too well before, youre probably surprised to see her here lol). Im a pretty big Shania fan, and have been pretty much since Any Man of Mine in the 90s. She was certainly one of biggest definers of that decade and her music was a big part of my childhood. Even though shes not really country country, it doesnt really matter to me. Shania Twains music brought about excitement to the genre that didnt really exist before (though, Ive come to the conclusion, that while I love her music, Im not particularly fond of her imitators music who would arise in later mainstream country music). She did commit murder on music row, but Im willing to forgive her for it (in fact, Ill hand her the hatchet myself, say swing away!, look the other way, because I love her that much and will allow her to get away with it lol). And Its too bad that her marriage with Mutt Lange didnt work out because I thought they made a good team together. I hear rumors that Shania will be the surprise performer at this Wednesdays CMA Awards, so I figured Id highlight Ms. Twain for this entry (Im so excited for new music!) It was tough to select a track for her because most of her songs have been hit radio singles haha, so choosing one from the Up! album was the path to go.

(Man! Im hoping this post isnt too long because I could go on and on) Anyway, I Aint Goin Down is the 16th track on the incredible Up! album. As shocked as my purist/traditionalist readers may be, Down is actually very much country: its traditional country with a moderate modern Mutt Lange influence to it (mostly the former, though). Its full of steel guitar, fiddle, mandolin, and is even a story song, just like all those classic country songs of the past. The pop Shania fans may not be particularly crazy about this one, though they may like the Red/pop version (I dont think that one works as well, though, since its more suited for country IMO). So yes, there are two versions (well, three theres a Blue version thats more Asian/Middle-Eastern influenced), but the one you guys gotta hear is the Green/country version. She even performed I Aint Goin Down live on her DVD special with Alison Krauss & Union Station. Its one of the most countriest songs shes recorded in recent years, along with 2004s I Aint No Quitter. The song is about an under-aged teenage girl who had a baby, and all the repercussions that came along with that. Raising this baby girl is a double-edged sword: her sin has caused her to lose her family/friends and become a single mother at a young age, but the baby is a miracle too, because the blessing that being a parent can be, cant be described (or so I hear). While Shania didnt have a baby when she was of that same age, as almost everybody knows, she did have to raise her brothers when she was young after a tragic accident killed their parents, so there is a personal connection to the story, in that respect. Its tough enough to raise kids when youre doing it all by yourself, but as a teenager or young adult, its even harder. The song is like a tribute to single moms, and seeing as I was raised by one, I can connect to it somewhat.

I remember a girl back at my high school who got pregnant and had her baby later on (I even knew the father). I remember that she was very intelligent in school and had great grades, so when I learned of this, I was fairly shocked. It made me think of the song, and I wondered if it really was worth it, but Im sure she doesnt regret it. People have their life experiences early in life, and she was one of them. I hope everything is going well for her and child, and that she continues to hold on. Its not an easy world to live in. I think Shania did a great job with Down and captured the emotion and the vocal delivery that a song like this needs: its message is filled with hope and optimism for the future, despite difficult circumstances. Im not encouraging girls to allow themselves to get pregnant (some people just arent fit to be parents, ever, or at that time in their life) because I dont think anybodys ready to become a parent that young. Give it some time and wait. The song also reminds me of the film, Juno (great comedy, but portrays the issue well too).

Now to the Up! album. People may criticize all the exclamation points and silly rhyming songwriting here and there, but I really enjoy this album. Yeah, its ber pop and Im usually against that, but it totally works here. Some people call it overproduced and I agree that it is, but whatever. Sounds good to my ears and I like jamming to the tunes. I was first introduced to the album through the first single, Im Gonna Getcha Good! and thats still one of my favorite Twain songs, and from there on out, its quite a ride. My other favorites from the Green/country disc are Nah!, In My Car (Ill Be the Driver), Forever and for Always, Thank You Baby! (For Making Someday Come So Soon, Cest La Vie, It Only Hurts When Im Breathing, and more. I was converted to love the Red/pop disc when I saw Shania live in concert with the song, What a Way to Wanna Be!. Some of my other favorites from the pop disc are: Im Jealous, Waiter! Bring Me Water!, When You Kiss Me, Ka-Ching!, and others. If you arent aware by now, every American copy of the Up! album contains two versions of 19 songs, making it 48 songs really, for the price of one album. Truly a great deal, if you ask me. I love how Mutt and Shania made the country disc because you dont usually hear country instruments used in those ways and it makes for a really fun listen and brings about high-energy motivation. Besides for the Up! album, my favorite music of Twains has gotta be her older stuff, especially with The Woman In Me and Come On Over (seriously, who doesnt have that album?). I would talk more about those, but this entry is getting too long. Maybe another time. Best bet for new Twain fans is to get the Greatest Hits and Up! to get started.

Hopefully, we see Shania on Wednesday night. Like I mentioned before, Id love for her new album to be bluegrass-rock or something like that, or she could surprise us and make an acoustic/folk album? Who knows? Without Mutt, its hard to tell, but Ill definitelty be listening!

Thanks for reading!

http://icfmusic.wordpress.com/2008/...i-shania-twain/
Old 11-10-2008, 04:11 PM
an Ice Cold Shania Fan

Great writing Amanda!!!!

After the impressive Come on over album I thought that it was impossible to make another album who should reach this level.
In the beginning (after the first listening to Up) I thought I was right.
Up is so different, it took some time to realise that Up is also special in its own way.

I also had in mind to write a long article about Shania, yesterday or today.
I was hoping and waiting for the surprise announcement from the CMA, today.
I hope she will be there.

I will write the article tomorrow, see you then,

Last edited by Polar_Bear_Juanita : 11-10-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:24 PM

I didn't write the article, I just posted the link which I found on another message board, which I thought people would find interesting.
Post New Thread Reply