Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 04-28-2010, 12:03 AM

Wow, Shania looks so happy. Fun seeing her. I don't watch Idol so I'm basing my opinion on what I hear...most were a little difficult to listen too manly because these are our girls tunes and knowone can do them justice like she does.

My favs are:

Casey James, Don't!
Aaron Kelly, You've Got a Way
Lee DeWyze, You're Still the One
Old 04-28-2010, 03:40 AM
Board Administrator

It was nice to see Shania once again with her famous smile.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 AM

It will be interesting to see who Shania votes for in this group! Ha Ha I think it is excellent that this group decided to sing Shania's songs. ha ha! Really cool. I can imagine Shania was thrilled at it all. Shania definately seemed to be in her element in this judging...Ha Ha! I can imagine Shania is also now the talk of the country now. Once again Shania is tops. No doubts here.

Benjamin
Old 04-28-2010, 10:14 AM

UK fans have to wait til tonight to watch it on ITV2 here.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:19 PM

Didn't know the show was going to be on, and encountered it by accident, but not until the start of 2nd performer/song.

I've never seen the panel be so deferrential, nor give so many props, to anyone off the dias, as they did to Shania last night. Some of the props were verbal, but even more were non-verbal. It was surprising, but impressive, and I liked it.

I don't know the names of these last 6 contestants. But I've seen most of them 2 or 3 times this season, and am familiar with some things about their voices, looks and personalities.

Hope I'm getting the names and their song choices in the right sequence here, from another website.

First on: Lee DeWyze, "You're Still the One"

I didn't see his performance at all, except for a 5 second video recap of each performer, near the end of the show. His 5 seconds sounded good, and he looked good.

2nd up: Michael Lynche, "It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing"

I saw this one in full. I thought he did a great job with the song. Really made me feel the words and meaning. His stage movement was not real great though. Shania said he really 'got to her' (emotionally) with this song. Simon puzzled everyone by saying it was a good performance, but too "wet". Nobody knew what the heck he was talking about. And as usual, he felt he didn't need to explain himself. Eventually, the guesses of others about what he meant, pried it out of him - he meant something along the lines of it being too "girly" (aka "teary-eyed") for a guy, or for this guy, to sing. I guess Simon has preferences in emotional expression, related to gender. Cannot say I share all of them. I think sometimes, the bigger and stronger a person is, the more poignant and captivating it is, when they hurt, fall, or even cry. Potty mouths not-withstanding.

3rd up: Casey James, "Don't"

I think this guy has the looks to be a star. Initially, I regretted his song choice. With all these fantastic pop & country songs from Shania's list, to choose from, why have the first two performers I've seen, chosen the less well known, and less successful songs, instead of the top sellers? Are these singers so unpolished, that they fear they'd look bad, singing one of Shania's most famous and best liked songs? I think Don't was one of those less well known new songs, tagged onto her Best Seller redo album. But as his performance went on, I thought he did a fine job. No complaints, other than that tuft of stubbly whiskers hanging off the center of his bottom lip. Too many of these contestants, have these distracting personal grooming/non grooming accents. Pierced rings flapping around all over the place, in noses and elsewhere. Shoot! We used to have that on our herd bull on the farm. It was anything BUT a mark of honorable distinction.

4th up: Crystal Bowersox, "No One Needs to Know Right Now"

I have thought in prior performances, that she has the potential looks, voice and personality, to become a blockbuster heart-throb and performer. But it has usually been near-misses up to now. She's never quite hit full stride, that I can remember. I thought this song did not work for her, on two important levels. For one thing, it was completely incongruous. The song lyrics are about keeping her plans and imagination about love, secret from her intended lover. Yet there was Crystal's boyfriend, in the front row of the audience, and her saying she hopes he takes the hint. And she's doing this in front of a huge, international TV audience. That's the opposite of keeping it secret. In Shania's case, she was broadcasting her hopes to a huge audience too. But she didn't tell it directly to her boyfriend. She kept the identity of her target unknown, and was way more subtle. And because she was so indirect, she could ramp up the volume, bounce and energy as much as she wanted. It worked great for her. Crystal said to the judges, that loudness or bigness isn't all there is, sometimes quiet or small is better. That may be true in some cases, and it might have fit what she was feeling with her boyfriend. But the quiet voice and the public secret, just didn't grab me. Maybe I missed something.

5th up: Aaron Kelly, "You've Got a Way With Me"

This has never been my favorite Shania song. But it has a way of sneaking itself into my emotions, and climbing up the ranks, far closer to the top of her song list, than I would have imagined. Similarly, Aaron has never been my favorite among this year's idol performers. He's likeable and has an excellent voice. But he seems too immature for stardom, somehow. A gal at 17 can pull it off. I think I guy can benefit from 2-3 more years. Maybe Steve F can tell me how old Elvis was, when he hit his stride. Even so, I liked Aaron's performance, a lot. One of the best of the night, in my opinion. He outperforms his age. But his age may still be a bit of a distraction.

6th up: Siobhan Magnus, "Any Man Of Mine"

Well, here's what I asked for, one of Shania's top songs. Unfortunately, I don't think Siobhan was up the standards that we've come to be spoiled by, in Shania's performance. Even Shania could be seen looking concerned and perhaps disappinted at one point. Siobhan has been quite independent, with a mind and talent of her own, in her choice of songs, and performance of them. Her range and resourcefulness is surprising and pleasing. Might be a diamond in the rough. I have to give her credit for courage. Stomping around on and off the stage, behind the judges, while singing the song, was impressive for it's effort. But I think it came off somewhat tepid. Sort of like Shania, when she arrived at Deerhurst, before she learned the moves and steps of live shows, of commercially successful, music review performance. But Shania already had her pipes whipped into great shape by then. Not sure Siobhan is up to that level.

Can anyone tell me what Shania meant, when she waggled her 10 finger tips at the performer, during one song? I know what the huge smile meant. But the waggling fingers with palms forward, is a new one to me. The only other time I remember seeing it, was several years ago, with Sheri and Cody. "Happy Fingers". Is that something parents do with youngsters?

Couldn't help but notice one other thing. Simon hardly said a cross word all night. Beyond that, it was clear, he wanted to give much more direct/blunt criticism at times. But the other panelists were all so effusive, sometimes virtually unanimous in their praise, that Simon actually seemed a bit cowed, for once in his life. It was HE, who suggested one performer go over and give "someone" (pointing to Shaina) a big kiss on the cheek, for the advice which had proven so successful.

I'm not sure the extent to which the judges were so enamored with Shania's music, that it carried over into their reviews about the contestant performances.

I'm also not sure, how Simon's situation played into his unusually accommodative demeanor. As one of the UK's wealthiest in the music industry, that hasn't caused him to pull his punches much on Idol, in the past. However he is deeply invested in a show with Fox for next year. And Shania will also have a show, which I think is on that network. His is a big career and financial gamble. Hers is more just in career, I think.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Board Administrator

It doesn't look like Shania is on this evening.

-Chris

Old 04-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Board Administrator

Since I don't normally watch this waste of a TV Show, how did the bottom three get picked? The guy who sang Don't was better than the guy who sang YSTO yet that guy is safe.

-Chris

Old 04-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Board Administrator

Ah, regrets!

American Idol contestant Casey James tells UsMagazine.com he didn't hear Simon Cowell urging him to kiss guest mentor Shania Twain on Tuesday night's show.

"Is that what he said? See, I want them to crank up the monitors because if I had heard it, I would have laid a big one on her," the 27-year-old Texas rocker told Us. "I would have went for it."

A witness told Us that Ryan Seacrest was ribbing him about the missed opportunity during the commercial break.

Love was clearly in the air on the Fox show.
http://www.usmagazine.com/moviestvm...a-twain-2010284

-Chris

Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Nope no Shania on tonight...
Old 04-28-2010, 11:05 PM

I didn't expect to see the Idol show, especially for the 2nd night in a row. But I got tired of wildlife ecologists dissecting moose remains on Isle Royale, and there wasn't much else on.

Two shockers and a difficult good bye.

I've immensely enjoyed a star in a few movies about Zorro and similar 'enchilada' westerns. But I didn't know who he was. Tonight on American Idol, I found out that he's also the fantastic voice and animated character of the fox, in the movie and TV presentation of Shrek. Antonio Banderas! What a pleasant surprise.

Shock # 2, was Casey James in the bottom three. I guess that was based on voting of call-in fans.

I think all of the remaining 6 were good enough, that it was difficult to send any one of them home. Too bad they can't take the best parts of each person, and meld them into one.

Rascal Flats didn't do much for me. I guess they've had some great harmonies in past hits. The 2nd group Sons of Sylvia, who opens for Carrie Underwood, had an interesting song. Lady Antebellum, I don't know from Adam. But I've heard the name once in a while. Wow! Their performance not only gave me goose bumps, but also briefly, pins and needles! Shakira, I also don't know. I think she's pretty, shows moments of a great voice, and knows a harmonica, and cultural perspective. However I've usually not identified with the Gypsy as victim theme, except possibly for Cher's impressive rendition of "Half Breed", and it's implied cultural overlay. My maternal relatives in Europe in the late 1800's and early 1900's, were the hard working peasant farmers; and the Gypsy encampment nearby were the slick and slippery thieves and con artists.

The Ryan Seacrest vs Simon Cowell cacaphony continued, when Ryan told Siobhan to go give Simon a hug, before she left the final time. Simon doesn't like to be manipulated like that. But after Simon had told one contestant the previous night, to go give Shania a kiss; I guess Ryan couldn't resist the opportunity of a two-fer - turning Simon's own words against him, and using that to manipulate Simon's behavior.

Last edited by Bob : 04-29-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Board Administrator

Any Man Of Mine wipes out another contestant.

Shania songs aren't so easy

For years Shania has gotten ripped for her songs, guess this is just another demonstration that it's not just the song that makes Shania, Shania. Like she mentioned in her mentoring sessions, it is about embracing the character in the song and showing you own it. This is why every Shania copy cat fails.

Shania: often imitated, never duplicated!!

Someone left this comment in one of the articles as to why Siobhan failed..
"She's like Anakin Skywalker. She just won't listen to Yoda."

-Chris

Last edited by cbspock : 04-29-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbspock
Since I don't normally watch this waste of a TV Show, how did the bottom three get picked? The guy who sang Don't was better than the guy who sang YSTO yet that guy is safe.

-Chris

Lee Dewyze has been consistently good throughout the competition, whereas Casey has failed to impress the judges on some weeks.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Shania songs aren't so easy

For years Shania has gotten ripped for her songs, guess this is just another demonstration that it's not just the song that makes Shania, Shania. Like she mentioned in her mentoring sessions, it is about embracing the character in the song and showing you own it. This is why every Shania copy cat fails.

Shania: often imitated, never duplicated!!

Someone left this comment in one of the articles as to why Siobhan failed..
"She's like Anakin Skywalker. She just won't listen to Yoda."

-Chris

That girl screams too much, even Simon said she sounded as if she was giving birth, during her performance of AMOM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV
Nope no Shania on tonight...

Didn't think she would be what with the other musical guests on there, they try to squeeze too much in for what is a one hour show.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:

-Chris

For me, that song almost wiped out Shania too.

First time I heard it, I was watching the video. Although the visuals were appealing, and the sounds were great; the lyrics were ominously close to narcissistic. I couldn't believe anyone could be that self absorbed, or see herself on such a high pedestal. But I didn't know her, or her background very well yet. And the treasury of music that came with so many great songs from her, almost made me forget my first impression of the video from AMOM.
Post New Thread Reply