Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 04-29-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbspock
Shania songs aren't so easy

-Chris

No kidding!

Many of the hooks are terrific and fairly easy to sing. But the sudden changes in tempo, key, chords, of the songs, makes almost every single one, impossible for me to keep on track, on pitch, etc., for the whole song. Shoot, I can't even remember the complete lyrics for any complete Shania song. Then again, my grandfather had alzheimer's starting at about the same age I am now. And I'm having trouble with my memory.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
For me, that song almost wiped out Shania too.

First time I heard it, I was watching the video. Although the visuals were appealing, and the sounds were great; the lyrics were ominously close to narcissistic. I couldn't believe anyone could be that self absorbed, or see herself on such a high pedestal. But I didn't know her, or her background very well yet. And the treasury of music that came with so many great songs from her, almost made me forget my first impression of the video from AMOM.

I don't think Shania intended to offend anyone with those lyrics on AMOM when she wrote it. It's about a woman's self confidence who knows what she wants and that spunky attitude really comes across.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
It doesn't look like Shania is on this evening.

-Chris

Shania is briefly featured at the beginning of the results show, here is a video cap that was posted on another site. Shania says to the contestants "Have fun, enjoy yourself".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDVD_115.jpg (18.4 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by amanda122 : 04-29-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Administrator

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsideth...bs-tuesday.html

TV ratings: 'American Idol,' 'Glee' hold off CBS Tuesday

By Rick Porter

April 28, 2010 11:52 AM ET
Fast National ratings for Tuesday, April 27, 2010

"American Idol" dipped a little more in the ratings Tuesday, but it and "Glee" were still big enough to carry FOX to a win against original competition from CBS.

In total viewers, though, the contest was closer than it's been for some time. FOX led with 15.7 million viewers and a 9.1 rating/14 share in households, but CBS (14.5 million, 9.2/15) was not far behind. ABC (7.6 million, 5.0/8) came in third, followed by NBC (6.9 million, 4.3/7). The CW was well back with 1.3 million viewers and a 0.9/1.

FOX scored a much bigger victory in the 18-49 demographic -- its 5.9 rating more than doubled CBS' 2.9. NBC finished third at 2.7. ABC averaged 2.0 and The CW a modest 0.6.

Tuesday's hourly numbers:

8 p.m.

FOX: "American Idol" (18.8 million viewers, 10.7/17 households)
CBS: "NCIS" (15.9 million, 9.9/16)
ABC: "Dancing With the Stars" results (12.15 million, 8.1/13)
NBC: "The Biggest Loser" (6.3 million, 3.8/6)
The CW: "90210" (1.5 million, 1.1/2)
Old 05-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Board Administrator

Some pics..

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Board Administrator

Harry Connick Jr. was a classless act on American Idol. He took the opportunity to slam Shania's songs, and Shania herself.

-Chris

Old 05-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Harry Connick Jr. was a classless act on American Idol. He took the opportunity to slam Shania's songs, and Shania herself.

What happened? I did not watch it...
Old 05-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV
What happened? I did not watch it...

He made a couple of snide comments, about "tonight we are doing real songs", and "I bet Shania didn't do this" when he was actually doing the arrangements for the contestants. I guess he missed the point of what Shania did. She made the contestants take her songs, and make them their own.

-Chris

Old 05-05-2010, 03:40 AM

Crystal's 'American Idol' struggles continue with another 'OK' performance

American Idol was looking to be a runaway win by Crystal Bowersox.

Back-to-back stumbles, though, have made the race much tighter.

A week ago Crystal struggled with a low-key song by country-pop artist Shania Twain. Last night it was Frank Sinatra that seemed to baffle the blues-folk singer.

Dressed in a black gown, and with guest mentor Harry Connick, Jr., on piano, Crystal was every bit the jazz club torch singer, something the 24-year-old single mom never really seemed comfortable with.

Her selection, "Summer Wind," was baffling as well. She suggested the song had a personal meaning, but it wasn't a good choice for her. A song with some lyrical and musical drama in it "Send in the Clowns," perhaps would've worked better.

The jazzy arrangements in "Summer Wind" overpowered her sleepy vocals at first, too, before she kicked it up a notch and the song found some life, as did her performance.

That was more or less what the judges told her as well.

Randy: "It was a great arrangement. It was one of your more subdued performances. I don't know if you did anything differently with it. It was OK, but It was a little sleepy for me."

Ellen: "At first it felt like you were swallowing every word and I was a little nervous. Then you started really singing and I wanted to see a little more of that when you were kind of starting to snap and I wanted you to loosen up a tiny bit more. But it's the only thing I missed. But man if I saw you for the first time I would never know you're that other girl too. You have so many different sides to you, you're so impressive."

Kara: "It's out of your element, but I kind of liked it. I did. I liked your phrasing and that's a really important thing this week. Frank Sinatra had impeccable phrasing, swing rhythm and you showed you could hold your own in that department so that's why I kind of liked it."

Simon: "I loved the song. I don't know if I would've chosen it for you though because it felt a little bit indulgent. The first half was too jazzy for me, too small nightclub and the second half obviously got a lot better. But I'm not going to lie and say this was one of your strongest performances. For you, Crystal, I think you've had two OK weeks. I think if you survive next week, it's like Randy said, now it's about being in it to win it. It's not about just singing for yourself anymore. It's about using this opportunity to nail it week after week after week. So I expect better."

Crystal: "I mean I always try to do what I think is best for the song and to me it's a sweet love story and you wouldn't sing it really big like that. If you were singing soflty to your lover, you'd sing it sweetly. And the song gets bigger as it goes on. I don't feel like I should sing really big notes because I'm on American Idol I think it should be about the music."

Simon: "I think it's about for whatever reason you chose it I'm just saying for you as an artist now you have one opportunity each week. I'm saying you have to use it in the best possible way and I'm giving you this advice to help you."

Crystal wasn't helped by the fact that she was followed by Michael "Big Mike" Lynche, with a strong performance of "The Way You Look Tonight." The judges loved it.

Then Lee DeWyze delivered his best performance of the season with "That's Life." The judges proclaimed it the best of the night. Ellen told him, "If this was the last night of performances, you just would have won the whole thing."

The good news for Crystal and her fans is that another off night by her only has her in the middle of the pack, with blues rocker Casey James at the bottom. Sinatra proved to be way too much for his limited vocal abilities there's simply no power behind his voice.

But Lee and Big Mike really stepped it up this week. Crystal will be safe again her fans proved their loyalty last week and they will again tonight. Plus, her performance isn't worth sending her home.

The other good news for Crystal is that last night was about as tough as it's going to get for her in terms of a theme night.

This time last season, the show selected the Rat Pack as its theme for the top 5. The next week was rock music, followed the rest of the way with judge and contestant selections. The year before that it was Neil Diamond in the top 5, before it got easier with Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for the top 4, and then the personal selections. Expect something similar this season.

Crystal should find herself in a more comfortable genre next week and to be back in the good graces of Simon, her one-time biggest fan on the show.

Meanwhile, Tuesday night proved the American Idol race has tightened up considerably.

http://toledoblade.com/article/20100504/ART22/100509827
Old 05-05-2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
He made a couple of snide comments, about "tonight we are doing real songs", and "I bet Shania didn't do this" when he was actually doing the arrangements for the contestants. I guess he missed the point of what Shania did. She made the contestants take her songs, and make them their own.

-Chris

Other sources haven't been kind to Shania either and go as far as saying she was "lazy"

http://trueslant.com/matthewgreenbe...he-casey-james/
Old 05-05-2010, 06:47 AM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda122
Other sources haven't been kind to Shania either and go as far as saying she was "lazy"

http://trueslant.com/matthewgreenbe...he-casey-james/

Atleast they used Shania's own songs, not covers.

-Chris

Last edited by cbspock : 05-05-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:02 PM

Some people just seem to like to take cheap shots at Shania. It just makes them look petty and reminds people that they haven't matched her success. Since I didn't hear Connick's remarks it's hard for me to judge whether he was actually being snide or was just playfully kidding her. Sometimes reading a quote makes it sound worse than it was actually meant. I don't know a lot about Connick but he seems to be a pretty decent guy so I won't toss him into a bag with Steve Earle but that's STRIKE ONE!
Old 05-05-2010, 01:28 PM

Connick Jr has made a career singing tributes to Sinatra so he's lacking originality, whereas Shania writes all her material from scratch. As for Shania's songs, how can anyone say they're not real. Her lyrics come from a real and honest place.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:44 PM

Shania's not known to be a music arranger anyway. Writing is one thing, performing is one thing and arranging is another thing. Nobody does everything. Shania is a first-rate writer and performer but I don't know if she is a skilled arranger or not. She had an musical arranger for her numbers in the person of Mutt Lange. American Idol didn't invite her as a mentor because they thought she would provide nifty arrangements for the performers. She was there to give tips on interpretation and performance.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:50 PM
#1 Shania Fan :)

I'm not really a Harry fan, but I don't think he meant to insult Shania. That doesn't really seem his style. I think he was trying to crack a joke, and just used Shania because she was the mentor before him.
Post New Thread Reply