Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > North American Summer Tour 2018!
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 10-06-2003, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Boston concert thread

http://www.townonline.com/shrewsbur...ish10022003.htm

Floral Street student to meet Shania Twain

By Sophia S. Huling / Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 1, 2003

Hayley Smith really loves Shania Twain.

She is not unique among her peers in that regard. But the Floral Street School third-grader will have one of her fondest dreams come true next week when she meets the woman she has adored for four years, thanks to the Make-a-Wish Foundation of Massachusetts.

"Hayley wasn't really talking until she was about 4," said her mother, Barbara Smith. "I tell people she was singing Shania Twain songs before she could talk."

An only child, Hayley, 8, was born with cerebral palsy. Since July 15, she has endured three surgeries and spent most of the summer in casts. Both her hips and many of her left wrist muscles were operated on, said Smith.

"She was in three casts all summer. It was pretty intense," Smith said. "Both her legs were in a cast, with a bar in between, and her whole left arm. She's quite a trooper."

Last spring, the family was being observed by a fellow at the Eunice Kennedy Shiver Center, a division of UMass Medical School, who suggested Smith contact Make-a-Wish. The non-profit organization grants the wishes of children with life-threatening, not necessarily terminal, illnesses.

"I had originally thought it was for terminally-ill children, but I've come to find out that it's not," said Smith. "I've read up on them that they've granted adaptive equipment for kids with special needs."

Four weeks after Smith wrote to Make-a-Wish, organization representatives scheduled the first of three visits with Hayley, and last week made the final arrangements to bring her and her parents to meet Twain backstage Oct. 7, before attending her Fleet Center performance. A limousine will pick up the family at 3:30, take them to dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe, then drive them to the Fleet Center.

"She listens to her constantly," Smith said. "We've had to have duplicates of her CDs, one for the house and one for the car, so I won't go crazy."

A couple of years ago, Hayley and her friends dressed as Twain for Halloween with "a lot of leopard midriff tops," Smith said with a chuckle. Even the voice on the computer that announces "You've got mail," is Twain's.

"The house is wired for Shania Twain," she said.

Music, and especially Twain, a country singer originally from Ontario, Canada, has served as an inspiration to Hayley for most of her life.

"When she was 2 years old I had her in a special needs dance program," said Smith. "Her teacher said her musicality is such a strong point for her."

Later, Hayley experienced selective mutism, where she would talk at home but not anywhere else.

"But as soon as she heard a Shania Twain song, she would belt it out. That led to her eventually talking outside the home," Smith said. "It was such a motivation for her to speak."

Despite the cerebral palsy, Hayley began to walk between age 3 and 4, but the surgery has forced her to learn to walk all over again. Her mother said the upcoming concert has been a good motivator to reach that goal.

"I tell her, 'You've got to be able to dance to Shania Twain songs at the concert,"' said Smith.

Smith hopes Twain will sing a few bars of Hayley's favorite song, "Feel like a woman."

"I asked her, 'What will you say to her?' and she said, 'I'm going to tell her I love her!"' said Smith.

Old 10-06-2003, 09:33 PM
Board Administrator

What a touching story.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain

Last edited by cbspock : 10-06-2003 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:43 PM
cross-stitching nut

What a great story. It reminds me of Sheri's Cody. Maybe Sheri should contact Make A Wish Foundation?

"Find Your Self Esteem And Be Forever Free To Dream" - Shania Twain
Old 10-06-2003, 09:46 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Debbie
What a great story. It reminds me of Sheri's Cody. Maybe Sheri should contact Make A Wish Foundation?

I was thinking the same thing.

It is amazing the effect Shania has on people, especially the kids. I think this is one reason Shania limits most of her meet and greets to special needs kids, she knows she is making a difference in her own little way.

She sure has a heart of gold.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 10-06-2003, 09:53 PM

Wow, that's such a touching story. Make-a-wish is so great for stuff like that. I've also heard that Shania is genuinely kind to everyone, but has a soft spot for people with disabilities especially kids. She's a terrific woman!!!
I hope we can get an update of how Hayley enjoyed meeting Shania.

I'm havin' me a party!!!
Old 10-06-2003, 11:22 PM
Who's On First?

Thanks for that touching story.

Boston is going nuts over the Red Sox winning tonight - the concert should be quite a raucous affair.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:51 AM
I love you Shania FAFA:-)

Send a message via ICQ to Shania's_Sister
Thanks for sharing this FV It's a sweet story

Carley

Shania's Fan since 1999 and I'll never forget her concert forever and for always

ShaniaTwainUk Please join our group Thanks
Carley's Blog Please leave a comment thanks guys
Old 10-07-2003, 07:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to resessions
Re: Boston concert thread

Quote:
Originally posted by FV

http://www.townonline.com/shrewsbur...ish10022003.htm

Floral Street student to meet Shania Twain

By Sophia S. Huling / Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 1, 2003

Hayley Smith really loves Shania Twain.

Smith hopes Twain will sing a few bars of Hayley's favorite song, "Feel like a woman."

"I asked her, 'What will you say to her?' and she said, 'I'm going to tell her I love her!"' said Smith.

Well not only will she be able to meet Shania but that wish of her's will come true for sure at the concert !!! Opening number is MIFLAW.

Also as a note, at the Grand Rapids Concert, There was a group of extremely dedicated Shania fans sitting two rows in front of me ....they were all deaf. Yes you read it correctly, they could not hear. There were two volunteers sitting infront of that group and they would takes turns on every other song to interpret the lyrics of the songs as Shania sang via sign language. Isn't that awesome ??!!!! Hopefully we never take for granted our opportunity to be thankful for our senses and to fully enjoy these concerts. It was obvious to me that those who could not even hear Shania sing were having the time of their life at the Grand Rapids event.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Administrator

OK, I will be on my way to Boston in an hour...do not know whether I can post a review tonight because I will not be back home until 2.30 am... but if I drink enough coffee on my way back..I can still do it!!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Who's On First?

Re: Re: Boston concert thread

Quote:
Originally posted by resessions
Well not only will she be able to meet Shania but that wish of her's will come true for sure at the concert !!! Opening number is MIFLAW.

Also as a note, at the Grand Rapids Concert, There was a group of extremely dedicated Shania fans sitting two rows in front of me ....they were all deaf. Yes you read it correctly, they could not hear. There were two volunteers sitting infront of that group and they would takes turns on every other song to interpret the lyrics of the songs as Shania sang via sign language. Isn't that awesome ??!!!! Hopefully we never take for granted our opportunity to be thankful for our senses and to fully enjoy these concerts. It was obvious to me that those who could not even hear Shania sing were having the time of their life at the Grand Rapids event.
They were certainly feeling and experiencing the good vibrations.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:25 AM
cross-stitching nut

Quote:
Originally posted by FV
OK, I will be on my way to Boston in an hour...do not know whether I can post a review tonight because I will not be back home until 2.30 am... but if I drink enough coffee on my way back..I can still do it!!!!!!!!

Come on FV - Shania will have you so wired that you will still be going strong at 2:30 am.

"Find Your Self Esteem And Be Forever Free To Dream" - Shania Twain
Old 10-07-2003, 11:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to resessions
Quote:
Originally posted by FV

Trust me FV, the buzz you'll have after the concert will keep you going better than having an IV with a 100% caffiene drip !!!!
Old 10-07-2003, 12:06 PM

I'm sure those fans can "hear" the music through the vibration!
But Wow! and wow for them to go to a concert! That's Shania kind of spirit!

It would be great, if they could share with us their experience!
Old 10-07-2003, 03:03 PM

I'll post a review of the concert tonite..and I'll probably have my pictures up by tonight too and *maybe* a short video
Old 10-07-2003, 09:59 PM
tower

Oooh I can't wait for your revue's, but it is 4am local time and got to go to bed!! I won't sleep knowing you are both just leaving the concert about now!
Post New Thread Reply