Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Fans Area > Life, Music, etc...
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 07-07-2005, 05:05 AM

Explosions hit London, casualties reported

Thursday July 7, 10:58 AM

LONDON (Reuters) - Three explosions rocked London's transport system at rush-hour on Thursday morning causing "some fatalities," according to a source at the Metronet consortium that runs part of the capital's underground network.

"There were three explosions and there have been some fatalities," said the source, adding the blasts had appeared to hit the Metropolitan Line.

Police earlier said a series of explosions rocked London's transport system at rush hour on Thursday morning, causing numerous casualties and leaving millions of passengers in shock, police said.

The causes of the incidents -- which occurred one day after London was awarded the 2012 Olympics and as leaders of the Group of Eight rich nations met in Scotland -- were unknown but police said many underground stations were affected.

"It is too early to state what has happened," a London police spokesman said. "I cannot comment on reports of bombs, but we have had multi-reports of explosions around London."

People were seen streaming out of one underground station covered with blood and soot. Passengers were evacuated from stations across the capital, many in shock and with their clothes ripped to shreds, witnesses said.

The entire system was shut down and major thoroughfares were blocked off by police and ambulance services.

An explosion also occurred on a bus at Tavistock Square in central London, a policeman told Reuters. A second blast was later heard in the square, a witness told Sky Television.

"There have been some casualties and this has been declared as a major incident," said a spokeswoman for London's Metropolitan Police.

Emergency services rushed to the Aldgate East tube station where police reported one incident at 8:59 a.m. local time (0759 GMT), the spokeswoman said.

"There were people streaming out of Aldgate station covered in blood," said Kate Heywood, 27, on her way to work.

"There are shards of glass there, it is chaos," she added.

A Reuters correspondent at Oxford Circus station heard an announcement over the public-address system saying: "A power outage has occurred London-wide. All train services are suspended."

A station official said: "All the power has gone down. I don't know when it'll come back."

Police sealed off large areas around other underground and mainline rail stations. Firemen donned chemical protection suits before rushing into stations.

Half a dozen people with soot-blackened faces and dishevelled clothes sat on the floor at the Russell Square tube station or stood in shock as police cordoned off the area and ambulances crews raced in, one witness said.

The Great Eastern Hotel, which was hosting a conference on the Israeli economy, was evacuated. Israeli Finance Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was due to attend the conference but had not arrived.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050707/325/fmtwn.html
Old 07-07-2005, 06:00 AM

Hope the fans in London (and none fans too) are all well!
Old 07-07-2005, 06:35 AM
Board Administrator

I just woke up to this news on TV. I hope everyone over in London is ok.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 07-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Administrator

I just heard it on the news...all my prayers are with the victims and their families. If you are a messageboard member from London, please let us know that you are OK...
Old 07-07-2005, 08:10 AM
Still The One!

Just heard the news - hope everyone is alright. our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sonal
Old 07-07-2005, 10:30 AM

33 killed, more feared dead

At least 33 are dead and scores wounded after four bombs exploded in London's transport system, British police said. "We were all trapped like sardines waiting to die," said bombing witness Angelo Power. "I honestly thought I was going to die, as did everyone else." [Full Story at CNN.com]

I too hope that all is well in London. Shame that stuff like this happens.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

I heard maybe 40 dead and at least 200 injured, but those counts would most likely go up as the day goes on. Terrible, just terrible. I t only goes to show that even if we can reduce it significantly, terrorism will never be totally eliminated. It will always be with us and that is very sad indeed. My thoughts and prayers are with London.

Steve
Old 07-07-2005, 11:20 AM

Authorities across the United States worked Thursday to increase security on subways, trains and other potential targets, following the bombings that killed dozens of people in London.

However, U.S. government sources told CNN that there was no specific or credible information indicating that there might be a threat to the United States. [CNN.com]

NY Governor and NYC Mayor are having a press conference soon. I imagine the city is on near lockdown, since the buses and trains can't go anywhere.

Chris, you havin fun yet?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:34 AM

My heartfelt love and prayers go to the people of London. London board members? Please check in when you can. We're very worried about you.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:23 PM
I'm Having Me A Party

Send a message via AIM to GonnaGetcha720
This is horrible. It almost seems impossible to stop these 'terrorists.'

~University of South Carolina Football Coach Steve Spurrier on the 30-22 victory of long time nemesis Florida
Old 07-07-2005, 12:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to chicker
Confirmed casualties - 37 killed and over 700 injured.

London is desperately now trying to restore some kind of order and normality to the city.
Make all our hearts blind to colors
Old 07-07-2005, 12:50 PM

THANK you for checking in. YOU stay SAFE!!
Old 07-07-2005, 01:06 PM

I was just at the gym and seen that on the news, I was shocked. These people that do these things are such cowards....
Old 07-07-2005, 01:19 PM

Chicker--how are you? I hope none of your family or friends were involved. Great to hear from you!
Old 07-07-2005, 02:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to chicker
Thanks guys...

It's very touching to read all the well-wishes from people around the world for all those affected by this tragic event!.

I am very touched at all the messages I have received today from friends that I have made on forums such as this, checking that I am ok and to pass on their best wishes and prayers.

Thankfully I (and my family) are fine. We live a few miles from where this took place, however, it has been a very worrying day with friends and colleges working in the centre of the catastrophy.

I am one of the very fortunates who can say that my friends escaped unhurt.

It is still sinking in as the facts start to unfold and the casualty totals rise. I can't begin to imagine how those directly involved must be feeling right now.

The emotions here are very high and extremely mixed, between grief, shock and anger!!

-------------------------------

If you love someone - Tell them, you may not get the chance to say it tomorrow!!
Make all our hearts blind to colors
Post New Thread Reply