Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > World Tour and Las Vegas Residency 2019-20
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 06-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Vancouver Concert: June 7

http://www.vancouversun.com/enterta...7188/story.html
Review: Shania Twain kicks off long Canadian goodbye with Vancouver concert

By Francois Marchand, Vancouver Sun June 8, 2015

Review: Shania Twain kicks off long Canadian goodbye with Vancouver concert

Country-pop star Shania Twain performs her first Canadian date at Rogers Arena during her farewell tour in Vancouver on June 7, 2015.

SHANIA TWAIN

Sunday night (again Tuesday) | Rogers Arena

VANCOUVER -- Country star Shania Twain began her long Canadian goodbye Sunday night at Rogers Arena.

It was the first of two Vancouver concerts on her Rock This Country farewell tour, which had officially kicked off in Seattle Friday night.

Twain, 49, recently announced she was done with touring after spending two years performing in Las Vegas. Her last proper North American trek dates back to more than a decade ago, in support of her 2002 album Up!

Moments before Shania took the stage, the mostly female crowd erupted in an impromptu wave, giving the Timmins, Ont.-bred Canadian Music Hall Of Famer a proper land of hockey welcome.

Backed by a black-clad seven-piece band (two fiddles, three guitars, bass, drums, and a spot open for some keyboards), Twain opened with a sizzling Rock This Country, unveiling a state-of-the-art show boasting fireworks, lasers, dry ice and massive lighting and LED displays.

Sporting blonde hair (which was the talk of all the entertainment TV shows), red sequin, and black leather fringe, Twain kicked it up one notch higher with the fiddle-heavy Honey I'm Home.

Twain was a little shaky on vocals early on, buried in the mix throughout the show, and you could see her reaching for her in-ear monitor during You Win My Love, which also suffered from a tacky checkered flag background on screen.

We were in full country mode with Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under, complete with Vegas-style dancing neon boots on screen.

"I just want to say thank you for an amazing welcome back to Canada," Twain said between songs. "Vancouver is a gorgeous place."

She talked about eating at restaurants and playing tennis.

"You probably didn't recognize me because you're not used to seeing me as a blonde," she said, pointing out her new hair colour before Nashville stomper Ain't No Quitter.

Although the last 10 years have seen country morph into the biggest form of pop (and Shania played a big role in this), Twain played it old school, with arrangements heavy on slide guitars, twang and vocal harmony.

No one was complaining, even the throngs of younger fans who spent the last decade with Swift, Underwood, Musgraves, and Cyrus (and yes, Miley can still crush at the country game).

Costume change interludes had an oversized Vegas big band/big lights kind of feel, the band knocking out some heavy duty filler.

I'm Gonna Getcha Good was all fire and flame, with that distinct '90s pop twist. Twain was shaky again on Come On Over, sounding a little flat and out of breath.

"It took a lot of work to get back up here," Twain admitted at the beginning of the acoustic portion of the show, talking about the problems she has been having with her voice over the past few years.

That said, the acoustic segment was quite moving, with You're Still The One (Shania on guitar at centre stage) being one of the best moments of the evening.

A parade of hits of that calibre, lasting nearly two hours and featuring a mechanical saddle ride above the crowd during Up, is a tough act to match.

Whether or not this tour ends up truly being Twain's last remains to be seen. Although she hasn't entirely revealed what's in store next, more music is on the horizon for Twain, according to interviews conducted recently.

The Rock This Country tour is a good reminder that Shania was once the undisputed queen of the art, no matter what hair colour.

In the opening slot, Calgary-bred, Vancouver-based country artist Wes Mack (born Wes MacInnes) gave his hometown crowd a little taste of his pop rock-laced brand of country.

With just one self-titled EP under his belt, released a week ago on country label Big Machine, Mack had to fill his short set list with some mood-setting stuff like Bruno Mars' Uptown Funk, which was a bit hit-and-miss.

Mack's enthusiasm was contagious. His background acting in shows like Smallville and Heartland certainly helps. Mack is a charismatic guy.

Not only was it a big deal for him to open for one of his idols, but to do it in a room where he had seen so many shows, as he pointed out, was extra special. He certainly made the most of it, showing up later in the show to duet with Twain on Party For Two.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/fa...l#ixzz3cVUohlRQ

Old 06-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Shania Crazy

I absolutely loved it!!!! I want to go on Tuesday, but it's not very convenient or within budget... Great night!
~ June 17, 2004 (Vancouver)
~ July 9 & 10, 2014 (Calgary)
~ June 7, 2015 (Vancouver)
~ May 5 & 6, 2018 (Vancouver)
Old 06-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Fan Since 1998

Curti - glad to hear you had a great time. I cannot wait for August to get here.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Board Administrator

Glad you liked it

-chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 06-09-2015, 09:42 PM
Shania Crazy

Forgot to mention - I saw Fred wandering around the floor before the show started. He also spends most of the time on the sound platform during the show
Old 06-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curti
Forgot to mention - I saw Fred wandering around the floor before the show started. He also spends most of the time on the sound platform during the show

Did you see the giant fan on stage during MIFLAW at the end? What did you make of it?
Old 06-11-2015, 09:15 PM
Shania Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV
Did you see the giant fan on stage during MIFLAW at the end? What did you make of it?

Saw it and felt it! It cooled things down and I guess helped blow the confetti around at the end?
Post New Thread Reply