Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 08-30-2003, 04:33 PM

Firs of all, just because CMA is stupid, why Shania should drop half of her fanbase (even more) and market? True, the States is only one country still half of Shania's fanbase and sales are coming from there. The other half is from Canada, Europe etc.
Not to mention, that the music is she's playing. She just recently said, she's a country singer. I don't see any good reason to leave that market.

Anastacia another example. She purposedly (spl?) made music which is going very well for Europe, because couldn't break out in the US.
Look at Robbie Williams, he's huge everywhere else, mainly in Europe, except the US, and he's trying but failing to get in.

Each market has its positive and negative sides.
Without the US market backing her, Shania will be seen and judged with other eyes in Europe. Now she's for them someone good, but her music is "american".
She's doing great in German speeking countries and UK, but less good in other places.
For being based in Europe she'll have to change her music, to fit it to that market.

Last edited by Jud : 08-30-2003 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2003, 04:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud
Firs of all, just because CMA is stupid, why Shania should drop half of her fanbase (even more) and market?

Didn't say that Jud. We're talking about the unlikely possibility that Shania loses all popularity in the US - not Shania dropping the US deliberately. But that isn't going to happen.

I wonder how the ACMs will treat Shania?

Roger
Old 08-30-2003, 04:45 PM

Shania Twain and Olivia Newton John

Shania Twain and Olivia Newton John

Are both similar musical artists...Both became famous and started in Country Music and progressively became more pop in their music presentation...The other part is that both were not liked by the American Music Association...But both became world famous...The difference of course is that Olivia Newton John of Australlia stopped touring and playing music after pregnancy and Shania Twain is going on strong as I hope she continues...The other part of this story is that when Olivia Newton John stopped playing I became a Shania Fan...But not an active fan...Since this year March 2003 I became an active Fan...

Ben

Last edited by corran : 08-30-2003 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2003, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger
Didn't say that Jud. We're talking about the unlikely possibility that Shania loses all popularity in the US - not Shania dropping the US deliberately. But that isn't going to happen.

Roger

Shania

Would not give up half her fan base...I did some research on Ojibway teachings...For that to happen Shania would have to turn her back on her fathers Jerry Twain's teaching...Shania would not do that...No way would she give up her fans in the USA that would be like turning her back on her fathers teachings...Neither would she give up her fathers last Name Twain...She changed her first name rather than give up her fathers name...That is how strong the connection between her father Jerry is and herself...I know exactly how Shania feels towards her fans...She will not give up on any of them even the least of them...You also get the instinctive feeling from Shania that you can trust her also!!!

Benjamin
Old 08-30-2003, 07:06 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:

Roger

I bet they learn from the CMAs mistake. Since we are going to make sure the CMAs have no ratings

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 08-30-2003, 08:08 PM

What about CBS, should we email them 2???
Old 08-30-2003, 08:24 PM

CMA's mistake and Shania Twain is #3 on Enterainment Worlds cutie list!!!

Chris

I agree with you CMA made a huge mistake in shutting out Shania...Now the rest of the world will know how narrow minded Country Music Association of America truly is!!!

By the way I thought you should know Shania made it to #3 on Entertainment Worlds cutie list...It goes as follows:

Personnaly I think Shania has a lot more character than Britney Spears...I don't know much about Jennifer Garner though!!! I know that makes Shania Twain is Number one for this sailor however!!!

#1 Britney Spears
#2 Jennifer Garner
#3 Shania Twain
#4 Rebecca Romijn-Stamos
#5 Faith Hill
#6 Nicole Kidman
#7 Christina Applegate
#8 Alyssa Milano
#9 Gwen Stefani
#10 Heather Graham
#11 Reese Whitherspoon
#12 Jennifer Love Hewitt
#13 Jennifer Aniston
#14 Brooke Burns
#15 Jewel
#16 Pink
#17 Pamela Anderson
#18 Carmen Electra
#19 Monica
#20 Angelina Jolie

Chris the list names 100 women I only included the first 20...It is called the Photo Gallery of Top Winners in Entertainment World top 100 Female Celebrities for the summer of 2003!!!

The web link is as follows:
Http://entertainmentworld.us/EW/tem...d=802&zoneid=11

Benjamin

Last edited by corran : 08-30-2003 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:40 PM

What in the world are people talking about? An alien reading some of these posts would think Shania was about to hit the skids. She sold 20 Million freakin' copies of her last album, folks! The CMA's are inconsequential - annoying but not important.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:42 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Vivashania
What in the world are people talking about? An alien reading some of these posts would think Shania was about to hit the skids. She sold 20 Million freakin' copies of her last album, folks! The CMA's are inconsequential - annoying but not important.

-Chris

Last edited by cbspock : 08-30-2003 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vivashania

The CMA's are the biggest of the Country award shows. If you are not there it is because you are dead, or you are not in good graces with the Nashvile crowd. Shania has won many awards from the CMA and that has helped her sell those 20 million copies. When someone wins a CMA it gives that record or album a big boost in sales. To be snubbed by the CMA gives the radio exec's more reason to not play her songs. No airplay, means no sales. Shania really has no place else to turn to for airplay. POP stations have to many established POP acts to squeeze her in.

It is annoying, but if Shania and her fans are not careful, it could also be a death call. I'm sure Shania's marketing exec's are working overtime to make it work in her favor.

Of course all this is just my opinion!
Old 08-31-2003, 07:35 AM

Rick, Shania untill now was nominated 9 times for CMA awards and won only one, in 1999, the Entertiner of the year. Now true that's is their biggest award, but she was always overlooked there. People simple thought, that after 1999 it will be another game.
Apparently not.
Shania sold her albums without the help of CMA awards.
Now the airplay can be a bigger problem, but I don't really think, they can not play her at all.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:38 AM
Suspended

I want to focus on why the Nashville establishment would want to shut Shania out. This is the first of two posts on that subject.

The obvious theory is control. The Nashville establishment want to keep control over country music. They want artists to use Nashville songwriters, Nashville musicians, Nashville recording studios and follow Nashville's prescription for promotion and touring.

Shania writes her own songs. She did use Nashville musicians to record her green album but not her red or blue albums, and she did not use Nashville recording studios. Shania's promotional and touring has taken and will take her all over the world, clearly beyond the purview of Nashville.

So...if Shania is seen to have too much success, it might encourage other artists to think that they too can break free and that would mean less work for the Nashville types.

Roger
Old 08-31-2003, 10:06 AM
Suspended

This is the second post exploring why the Nashville establishment would want to shut Shania out.

This reason is more subtle. Shania by her actions puts into question the very basis of country music and suggests there is not much of substance.

There are many characteristics that have traditionally surrounded country music in the USA that, really, have nothing to do with the music as such. These include a southern twang and traditional country or western garb. Clearly, Shania lacks the twang (at least of the southern variety) and as her videos have progressed, has dressed less and less like country songstresses of old - YWML, WIM, IGGG and FTMO are as uncountry as you can get. Then too there is the big hair that always used to characterize female country stars. Shania had this at first but has since dropped it in favour of a variety of styles.

Now Nashville would look silly if they objected to such peripheral conformity. These aspects have nothing to do with music really.

Then much of country music has traditionally focussed on trucks, tractors, love of the US south, drinkin', cheatin' and hurtin', American jingoism and songs that tell a story, especially sad ones. Shania does almost none of this. True, Love Ain't Where His Heart Is Any More is sad, as is Raining on Our love, but Shania's main mood is Up!beat, especially in her latest album.
Apart from those very few sad songs, none of Shania's songs have any of this. The latest fad in country music is aggressive US nationalism in reaction to 9/11. Shania's music has none of this either and a lot of us suspect Shania opposes this viewpoint.

Again, any claims that any of the characteristics in the above paragraph are essential to country music would make country music look silly and very parochial.

So what is left to define country music? Well, look at what Shania has done. If she had recorded only the green album and nothing else, I think everyone in Nashville would have hailed it as a country album. BUT Shania recorded exactly the same songs in pop and Asian versions. If country music were so special, this would not really be possible or, at least, the songs would be good in one format but would not sound right in another. But, at least as regards the red and green versions, most of the songs sound equally good. And what is the difference between the red and green versions? Mainly the choice of instruments. If a song has a banjo and fiddle, it is country. If it uses more electronic instruments, it is pop. Now, really, that is not much left to define country music, is it?

Shania has demonstrated that there is precious little to distinguish country music from other forms of music - mainly peripheral stuff that is essentially non-musical. She is right in my opinion but this can't make the Nashville establishment that is desperately trying to save a dying genre feel good.

Roger
Old 08-31-2003, 11:06 AM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheyenne55
The CMA's are the biggest of the Country award shows. If you are not there it is because you are dead, or you are not in good graces with the Nashvile crowd. Shania has won many awards from the CMA and that has helped her sell those 20 million copies. When someone wins a CMA it gives that record or album a big boost in sales. To be snubbed by the CMA gives the radio exec's more reason to not play her songs. No airplay, means no sales. Shania really has no place else to turn to for airplay. POP stations have to many established POP acts to squeeze her in.

It is annoying, but if Shania and her fans are not careful, it could also be a death call. I'm sure Shania's marketing exec's are working overtime to make it work in her favor.

Of course all this is just my opinion!

Shania has ONE CMA award.

-Chris

Old 08-31-2003, 11:08 AM
Board Administrator

Quote:
I want to focus on why the Nashville establishment would want to shut Shania out. This is the first of two posts on that subject.

The obvious theory is control. The Nashville establishment want to keep control over country music. They want artists to use Nashville songwriters, Nashville musicians, Nashville recording studios and follow Nashville's prescription for promotion and touring.

Shania writes her own songs. She did use Nashville musicians to record her green album but not her red or blue albums, and she did not use Nashville recording studios. Shania's promotional and touring has taken and will take her all over the world, clearly beyond the purview of Nashville.

So...if Shania is seen to have too much success, it might encourage other artists to think that they too can break free and that would mean less work for the Nashville types.

Roger

Yeah...notice who else has gone outside the USA--Tim, Faith, and the Dixies. They have not had the success Shania has outside the USA, since Shania tones down the country aspect of things when in Europe. Notice that these artists are the more well known artists in Nashville. Garth never drew Nashville's ire, since he played their game. He played the politics on Music Row.

-Chris

Post New Thread Reply