Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > The Former Shania Centre in Timmins
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 08-31-2003, 11:16 AM

Glad to see you and your family had a safe trip home. Tell Cody for me that I constantly show off my picture drawn by my little friend from Hawaii. It's made a lot of people smile.

Kirppu, Timmins has a rather large Finnish population. I think you would feel right at home here. My First husband was Finnish so I learned quite a bit during my marraige. I especially love the food. I have never had such a feast as my ex-husbands grandmother puts on the table. The Finnish definitely know how to enjoy life!!

Tom I've gotten you email and will reply soon. It's real good to know you are ok. You had us quite worried.

Timmins had another power outage Friday. You can imagine what the first thought through our minds was. Sheri, you would have giggled. Everywhere in downtown Timmins seemed to be without power. Stores next to us and across the street were without hydro but for some strange reason our store had full power. It was quite odd. At home though, we were without power for over four hours. It's good people here seem to be able to take everything is stride. Me and the kids played campfire games until the power came back on. It was fun actually.

It's a long weekend here and George and I actually have two days off so I'm looking forward to playing with my rugrats. School starts on Tuesday here so we are going to enjoy our last few days of summer to it's fullest. Some of the trees in my yard have already started turning color so it's time to start preparing for cold weather again.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all again sometime and to meeting others here on the board.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:41 AM
tower

QUOTE]Originally posted by ladytech
Glad to see you and your family had a safe trip home. Tell Cody for me that I constantly show off my picture drawn by my little friend from Hawaii. It's made a lot of people smile.

SNIP------

It's a long weekend here and George and I actually have two days off so I'm looking forward to playing with my rugrats. School starts on Tuesday here so we are going to enjoy our last few days of summer to it's fullest. Some of the trees in my yard have already started turning color so it's time to start preparing for cold weather again.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all again sometime and to meeting others here on the board.
[/QUOTE]

OH GOSH SHERI, So nice you are getting the same response as I with your report back 'home'. Now you know why Timmins is special, and TERI, how dare you NOT introduce me to your Rugrats!... are they what I think they are.... CUTE sort of rodent beasties??

I am going to post this here, as my connection is SO SLOW due to the remoteness of my little house, hope you all don't mind.

--------- Should be on the Tom in Timmins thread but heck -------

Quote:
Originally posted by Erich
Tom can have fun no matter where he is!!:devil:

Oh I am so sorry Erich and the many other people who have posted on this thread that I could not reply to each of you.

I had no idea the number of posts and views this thread would get and gosh you have all touched my heart with your concern and worry over my 'fate'.

I am pretty well alone in the World, hence my unusual Job, but I know what is good and bad and Shania supporters are so nice. Just like Eilleen herself, normal people expressing hope for the world and positive thoughts about most things they come across.

Just like Eilleen (Shania) Twain and just about everyone who I have met who knew her BS (Before Shania) I feed off your positive thoughts and love.

Erich, you were correct a blackout is something that you can have fun with and help spread that to people who are not as well adjusted as yourself. With a joke or two or a kind word or a simple act of common decency, your can turn there 'crisis' into a Shania Twain Concert sort of gig.

It has taken me 54 years of well, not so nice feelings to get where I am now in life and I hope that all younger people reading this thread will perhaps get where I am now, a LOT SOONER than I.

Money is a means to an end, but not the end in it's self. I am flat broke right now, my Ex is going to sell the roof over my head and I will no doubt move, but if you have a happy heart and enjoy the company of similar minded people you can be more wealthy that Shania Twain herself.

I met so many NICE people at the 2003 fan convention, I have more positive energy right now than I have ever. The WORLD is what WE make it... Shania FANS make it a lot BETTER.

Sorry Shania - But a young Girl, who I am just learning a lot more about has shaped my last 3 or so years for the better, so it is your fault and that of your parents Eilleen..

At least you had them until you were 21. I lost my whole family in a Car wreck in Australia, bar one elder sister at age 7.

Moral in this tale, there is ALLWAYS someone worse off than you. What makes YOU as a person very special is how you deal with life as you see it, and others around you.

Shania has shown you the way, I hope I can show a few as well, not quite on the same scale, but then I don't think I could cope with fame and fortune as well as Timmins's very own Eilleen Twain.

It takes a VERY special person to cope with the forces SHANIA the SUPERSTAR copes with day to day, where everyone wants a little bit of you to take home. Forces that have, in the past proved very destructive to many. Shania is so lucky to have such a good Band and team (That includes the Staff of the Shania Twain Centre in Timmins and everyone there who speaks well of her) around her right now.

Thank you Sheri for your posts, I wish I had more time to speak to you, I am so happy I met you and you gave me a nice hug. I look forward to 2004 and being able to spoil you and your family at bit more.

Last edited by tower : 08-31-2003 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ladytech
Kirppu, Timmins has a rather large Finnish population. I think you would feel right at home here. My First husband was Finnish so I learned quite a bit during my marraige. I especially love the food. I have never had such a feast as my ex-husbands grandmother puts on the table. The Finnish definitely know how to enjoy life!!

LOL! So I have understood, by seeing the Finnish surnames of some people.

And you´re not wrong about that enjoying the life

It is funny where you can bump into familiar things, being a Shania fan

I sure hope I can visit Timmins some day, I know I would have just the best time!
Old 08-31-2003, 02:10 PM

Tom,

I want to get back and finish reading your

"Could it be... (a, b, c, d, etc) "

post. Can you help me locate it? It was a perspective prior to your Timmins trip.

My pc has been hit by a virus or two in last few days. So I've been slowed down a bit on posting and other projects. Fortunately, I've got it fairly well battened down most times, so not much damage has been found so far. The infected files have been quarantined and then deleted. I'm still trying to find a source for good files to replace them. Microsoft's website has moved a bit past my Windows Millenium for specific file download access. I don't want to have to reinstall the whole operating system again, as it's time consuming, among other things.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:38 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by kirppu
LOL! So I have understood, by seeing the Finnish surnames of some people.

And you´re not wrong about that enjoying the life

It is funny where you can bump into familiar things, being a Shania fan

I sure hope I can visit Timmins some day, I know I would have just the best time!

kirppu, people of Finnish descent are scattered throughout northern Ontario - Sudbury, North Bay, Timmins, the Sault, Thunder Bay...

I guess their ancestors were looking for a place that looked like home.

Roger
Old 08-31-2003, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob
My pc has been hit by a virus or two in last few days. So I've been slowed down a bit on posting and other projects.
Oh dear, this means a delay in the Chicago and Timmins stories, eh?
Old 08-31-2003, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger
kirppu, people of Finnish descent are scattered throughout northern Ontario - Sudbury, North Bay, Timmins, the Sault, Thunder Bay...

Roger
Ah yes, that´s true. I must say, I would not move to Florida either, even though at times the warmth would be appealing

I like the northern forests, lakes, the 4 seasons.... so it was natural for them to seek similar environments too I guess.

And I believe there was room for them to settle too
Old 08-31-2003, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kirppu
Oh dear, this means a delay in the Chicago and Timmins stories, eh?

Yes. Probably so. But hopefully, not for long. Maybe just a couple days, if all goes well. Appreciate your encouragement.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger

Roger

One of my long time coworkers is Finnish from Saulte Ste Marie, family name Wirtanen. I mentioned Hautanen to her and she said any last name ending in '...anen' would most likely be Finnish. So now when I see the local papers and news reports of Tracy "Hautenan" (note misspelling), I remember instantly from this and also from Tracy's helpful tip that "the 'a' comes before the 'e' in proper alphabetic sequence. But then I also remember Tracy said that her maiden name is actually Irish.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:55 AM
tower

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob
Tom,

I want to get back and finish reading your

"Could it be... (a, b, c, d, etc) "

post. Can you help me locate it? It was a perspective prior to your Timmins trip.

Sorry Bob about the Virus, I use an Acorn RiscPC with no Microsoft code so immune from the little beasties myself. My operating system is in Reduced Instruction Set Code and only 4Mb in size and on a Read Only Memory Chip or ROM.

The Thread is in the Timmins Section on or around the 1st of August and called "Tom's letter in the Dailypress" or words to that effect.

Sorry I can't help you more, should be down the bottom of the main Timmins thread page, or the top of page 2.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:00 AM

Thanks times two Tom. That should let me find the post I want, fairly easily.

I used to have a non windoze pc myself in the mid 80's. And it's still going with no virus attacks. It had plenty of attacks from me tho, when the thousands of public domain software I tried on it weren't well written. They created their own kindof bugs. But they were quite easily tossed aside, compared to the infernal ones sneaking around now.

Looks like I'm going to have to turn on the dip switches & power to my newer, bigger (and empty tho partitioned) 2nd hard drive and install OS & applications from scratch there sooner than I wished. Only way to get completely clean now. I have the older HD working, but reinstalls of the Internet browser and also the operating system have jimmied up my shortcuts, file associations etc., more than I want to spend time sorting out. Things I don't want keep popping up unexpectedly. And things I do want are very slow and sometimes non forthcoming without deleting and recreating pathways. Doing a new HD is a fun thing when times free. But when I have already fallen behind on several promises, with more expectations heading my way, then it's not so great. I never thought I could get behind so far so soon, being fully retired only 5 days now.

Last edited by Bob : 09-01-2003 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob
Yes. Probably so. But hopefully, not for long. Maybe just a couple days, if all goes well. Appreciate your encouragement.
Sort out your comp probs with time, then you can concentrate on the stories, we are here waiting patiently, don´t worry
Old 09-01-2003, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob
One of my long time coworkers is Finnish from Saulte Ste Marie, family name Wirtanen. I mentioned Hautanen to her and she said any last name ending in '...anen' would most likely be Finnish. So now when I see the local papers and news reports of Tracy "Hautenan" (note misspelling), I remember instantly from this and also from Tracy's helpful tip that "the 'a' comes before the 'e' in proper alphabetic sequence. But then I also remember Tracy said that her maiden name is actually Irish.
Ah, more Finns into the stories

Yes, many Finnish surnames end with -nen.
And I too have noticed the misspelling of Hautanen... Hard with the foreign names, eh?

I am sorry Sheri, never meant to hi-jack your thread. To make matters worse, one more thing

Here is a pic of Tom in Hyde Park, London, 12th July 2003.
Proudly wearing his kilt, Timmins shirt and cap, and also proudly holding my flagpole of Canadian and Finnish flags.

As we were waiting for people to come out after the concert, many people came up to me to greet me as they saw my flagpole. One introduced himself as a member of the Canadian hockey association, and thanked me for the Canadian flag.
And many came up to me to ask what the other flag (Finnish) was.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:57 PM

Well, aside from the thread in the friendly flags, there's a common thread in these posts. And it's woven into the reason I asked Tom for directions back to his "Could it be...," post. Tho he sometimes doesn't know the full answer when he asks a question, his reach for feelings, insight and perspective is as big hearted as they come in finding a healthy and mutually beneficial direction. His conclusions are similar to others here, including mine since 2001.

The common thread here is that virtually all contributing are sharing a lot of personal info. Doing this in constructive, supportive ways creates trust, affirmation and growth. In a way, this is therapeutic, but in a very enjoyable way, partly like healthy families. In a healthy family, usually we are closest to our parents and children due to the life long nurturing process. Next closest usually are brothers and sisters. Then come close cousins, aunts & uncles, grandparents, nieces and nephews etc. We are not as close as most parents and children. But most of us that have now met in person, are as close as our best cousins, and even some of our own brothers and sisters.

Certainly we know each other well enough to understand that no one is perfect. But by means of this adventurous sharing, supporting, and growth, we are able to keep our shortcomings in appropriate perspective, if nothing other than through a humorous outlet. This diffuses what could otherwise become misunderstanding, anger and antagonism. The presence of constructive relationships between individuals and groups, tends to make life less difficult, with less need for hostility and conflict.

So no, Kirppu, maybe you haven't really hijacked Sheri's thread. Maybe you've just added to the weave, or given it a banner to be carried forward. That's a nice picture of Tom, by the way. He's just beaming.

Last edited by Bob : 09-01-2003 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:49 PM

Hey Bob,

You are quite right about my last name. "Hautanen" is often spelled incorrectly. But it is mis-pronounced more often than mis-spelled. I think it is neat that you remembered my maiden name is irish. Some people say I have a dry sense of humour and claim it is the "irish" coming out of me. By the way, my maiden name was Monahan.

Oh, and for the record I love Finnish Chocolate and Coffee!!! However, I try not to have both of them at the same time.......it kind of makes the "crazy irishman" in me come to life!!

Tracy
Post New Thread Reply