Watch Shania LIVE from Las Vegas - Feb. 28!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
Shania's UPClose and Personal DVD! Click to Order
[] Latest Shania News!
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Shania Twain Centre
[] Board Code of Conduct!
Click to Order Greatest Hits CD!
Please Support Shania's Cause!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > The Former Shania Centre in Timmins
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 08-05-2004, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbspock
Well, I made it to Timmins. Met up with Irene and Betsy. We already checked out the lobby of the STC, and Tracy has just about all of Shania's plaques that she sent from Switzerland. Tracy said that Shania needs to get a maid, they were all full of dust....lol

As to the "big secret" Hey, Tom we found out more information in 5 minutes than you found out so far...Tracy said "Mutt was helping" out with it. So, is it real information, or part of Tracy's mis-information campaign, we will find out Saturday...lol

Oh, if you ever get stuck in Canadian customs at Toronto, just throw Shania's name around, it seems to clear up a lot of problems...lol

-Chris

Chris

Yea Customs asked me where I was going and I said to the Shania Twain Center at Timmins, ON...They all smiled a knowing smile and sort of said OK and hope you have a great time...I told them I am on my Way...and they lauged again like they knew the meaning by that statement...

Benjamin
Old 08-05-2004, 03:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to resessions
Quote:
Originally posted by cbspock

Oh, if you ever get stuck in Canadian customs at Toronto, just throw Shania's name around, it seems to clear up a lot of problems...lol

-Chris

Well I left work about 90 minutes early on Wednesday and hit the road at 4:45pm. Twelve hours later I arrived at the front gate of the Shania Twain center at exactly 4:45am. From my from Door to the front door ofthe STC is exactly 726 miles. Took only 23 gallons of gasoline one way to get here. Switched back and forth between my Shania CD's and talk radio to keep awake.

I hit the Sault Saint Marie bridge at exactly midnight and when I was asked where I was going I said" Straight away to Timmins Ontario" ....."What are you going to Timmins for?" inquires the customs agent at the border patrol. "To the Shania Twain Fan Convention of course!!, says I and without further hesitation am told with the grandest smile, "Welcome to Canada." Total customs proceedure took a matter of 20 seconds tops!

Pulled into the the garage of the Days Inn, crawled into the back of the vehicle and caught a couple hours of sleep. Freshened up and met at the appointed 9:30am hour to a grand reunion of wonderful Shania fans both old and new.

As Tom reported already, agroup of us had a grand morning taking a stroll around town and having the time of ourlife talking about recent experiences at the the Up! tour concerts and looking at sights related to Shania. had interviews from TV and Radio already and the official party hasn't even begun yet. Looking forward to all the fun...I'm sure you'll see lots in this thread in the hours and days to come.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:38 PM

Hello Everyone...

It has been two lovely sunny days in Timmins and I know Shania Twain would really be relishing these days here if she were here...

On the first day which was yesterday a lot of us met at Nikki's Bar at the Days Inn...Betsy, Tom Waller, Alanb, FinnFreak, and Bonnie were all there...I also saw Tracy, and Will at the STC Center in Timmins...We had a very short interview with the radio announcer there...

Today on the second day we have done a lot more and Tom Waller started out with us and gave us a short tour of Timmins...Tom introduced us to where Shania Twain stored her music gear with the Longshots and where they practiced their music and band playing together...Also He showed us where Shania Twain used to eat a lot when she was working with the Longshots which was a little Chinese restaurant called Cozy Corner... We then went over to Q-92 FM and we were all introduced to Dave Maclaughlin who is the head of that radio station...He took us all on a tour of the radio station...He seems to be tremendous fan of Shania's as he has a lot of Shania photos at his radio station...He also had a Guitar autographed by Shania Twain...At the radio Station we all gave a short story of ourselves as to where we were from and what was our favorite Shania Songs...Then it was on to Casey's to eat...Before I go any further I should say that Chris, Timmins Chris, Tom Waller, Bonnie, FinnFreak, Richard, Alanb, Ken, Andrea,Betsy, Jason, and Grace were there...At Caseys Restaurant which is right next to the Super 8 motel we were introduced to some Radio announcers and we all gave a story of why we came to Timmins, ON from all our respective places...I think we gave a relatively good account of ourselves and our devotion to Shania Twain...Basically I would say that our primary motivation was our desire to learn more of Shania Twain to meet with the people of Timmins and especially to take a tour of the STC Center where all the Shania memorabilia and Shania's history resides...We also said that we came because of our belief that Shania makes the world a better place to live because of her musical talents and the songs which she shares with us on a deep and personal level...From all those interviews you could see that Shania Twain has touched each and everyone of us there indelibly and has sort of drawn us together to meet here in Timmins at the STC Center...But I would also say that the sharing of Shania experiences with all the other truly great Shania fans that are here as too great to miss...They also asked, do we think that Shania Twain would continue to sing and come out with additional albums and basically we said without a doubt because Shania Twain and Mutt Lange are motivated to connect with her fans across the globe....I would also say that we came to Timmins because Shania Twain has had to overcome so many odds against her, to be the great music artist that she is today...But I look forward to Shania Twain because I know she will consistently continue to perform for us all...Because you can see the desire in Shania's eyes and in her smile that she truly cares and so our desire to reciprocate makes us to want to come to Timmins to learn more of Shania Twain and to actually see for ourselves the town that Shania Twain grew up in and also the people that grew up with her...

Benjamin

Last edited by corran : 08-10-2004 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to resessions
Quote:
Originally posted by Will

There are, unfortunately, a few journalists that are still trying to dig "dirt" in an attempt to come up with a story, focusing on Shania not attending and the "relatively" small attendance.
To them I say "phooey".

Will

Musical genius comes from those who make the music because they love to do it.....not for the fame or the money...but when their talent is extaordinary that becomes a by-product of that talent. As I told the CBC radio interviewer today, the reason Elvis and The Beatles and Elton John's music is enjoyed by following generations is because of that.....Shania's music will be able to be enjoyed in that same way by my future grandchildren just as i enjoy Elvis.......So to the journalist who try to find the dirt....keep looking...all that'll happen is that you'll get dirty. Shania's music will never go away...and thats a good thing..Because Shania's music makes the world a better place.....Want proof? Join us this weekend and find out. I'm certain you'll come away with a differnt perspective when you find out that this convention is more about what Shania represents than about being in the midst of a Superstar....There's a significant difference.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:13 PM

Thanks, Richard and Benjamin for sharing some of your recent adventures with all of us that couldn't make it up there to Timmins! I really miss not being there!! I also agree with what both of you said to those radio people there in Timmins! It is so true!!!
Old 08-06-2004, 06:11 AM

Well the first night of the convention is now history. A great time was had by all last night as friendships were renewed and new ones were made by all in attendance.

Speaking of attendance, there are twice as many this year as there was last year. I heard a few different numbers being bounced around from 64 to 68 in total. So I'm not sure where the real final number comes out. There was a big bump of registrations is the last week, with at least 4 or 5 signing up on Wednesday.

Those who were here last year got an early start of the festivities and received a nice embossed name tag. Then us first timers showed up and invaded the center. Even just the lobby, all that we were permitted to see, was quite impressive. The whole wall of fame, which has dozens of the various awards that Shania has received is simply impressive and mind blowing.

Ren proceeded to give us a welcome and to explain the various things found in our welcome bags. Richard Sessions presented to the center a lovely frame containing a shirt signed by all of the first time conventioners and also signed by Shania herself.

We were then treated to a very nice and educational demonstration of native drummers. In addition to singing a few songs for us, they also explained a bit of there culture to us. This was a very nice touch for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the very fact the Jerry no doubt influenced Eileen with some of this.

Then it was off to wine & cheese, plus other snacks and drinks and some more socializing.

Fancon 3 was a blast! Thanks to all who made it so, including all my new Shania friends.

Shania Twain Centre.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:43 AM
This is Ren from the STC!

Alan,

You forgot to talk about the butter tarts, one of Shania's favorite sweet treats. Did you try one?

Ren
Old 08-06-2004, 09:37 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Quote:
Originally posted by rgaudreau
Alan,

You forgot to talk about the butter tarts, one of Shania's favorite sweet treats. Did you try one?

Ren

Yes Ren, one of the things I got a kick out of on my first trip to Canada for Shania was the popularity of tarts. Here we are driving endless miles for hours in the bush from Timmins back to Ottawa, when Kay and Roger want to stop at some little wilderness truck-stop for a break. We go in get some coffee, and you guessed it, some "tarts"! Now that we have our own Tim Horton's near us, we have carried on the tradition of having tarts now and then. I have to admit though that the tarts here are not as good as the ones at Canadian Tim Horton's. Wish I was there!

Steve
Old 08-06-2004, 09:45 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Quote:
Originally posted by resessions
Musical genius comes from those who make the music because they love to do it.....not for the fame or the money...but when their talent is extaordinary that becomes a by-product of that talent. As I told the CBC radio interviewer today, the reason Elvis and The Beatles and Elton John's music is enjoyed by following generations is because of that.....Shania's music will be able to be enjoyed in that same way by my future grandchildren just as i enjoy Elvis.......So to the journalist who try to find the dirt....keep looking...all that'll happen is that you'll get dirty. Shania's music will never go away...and thats a good thing..Because Shania's music makes the world a better place.....Want proof? Join us this weekend and find out. I'm certain you'll come away with a differnt perspective when you find out that this convention is more about what Shania represents than about being in the midst of a Superstar....There's a significant difference.

You can't say it any better! As Shania [IGGG] would say: "Don't You Worry 'Bout That!" Great post!

Steve
Old 08-06-2004, 03:23 PM

Anyone try the poutine yet
Old 08-06-2004, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Well the Centre looks FANTASTIC! In the lobby Tracy has put up many of the awards/plaques Shania sent in..there must be 30/40 of them..I have took photos of some of them..
New things in the exhibit area: 3 original letters from Shania's mother (Sharon) dated 1986/87, to send in Shania's CV to possible promoters..very cool!
There are many more display about the World Tour now: the first one is a display about the Hyde Park and the Wembley concerts: great pics...including the ones of Grace and Marco up on stage with Shania.. Then, a SUPER disaply with about 30 DAX drawings! That's fabulous...looking at all the art work Dax has done over the years is awesome..lots of funny comics and a couple of jersy ones I had not seen before...
There is a new large sports display: the CUBS jersey Shania wore at the ball game, a couple of hockey jerseys from the JUNOS show and England's soccer jersey signed by Shania.. I was hoping that jersey would have been one of the possible auction items...instead it will be the French soccer jersey signed to be one of the auction items!!!
By the way, Carrie Ann was there on Thursday before we arrived...she loved the Centre!
Backstage there are TONS of concerts pics sent out by the fans: scotty, Grace, Tom, and myself among the ones whose photos were used so far..Scotty they used your photos of the bandmembers in kilt from the Glasgow concert for a special display dedicated to the FABULOUS FALL...
There is the last shirt she wore at the Chicago special..ohh...the special backstage stuff: the FULL WARDROBE from...hold on sas wants me to post some of the photos she got ...hang in there, the photos are coming in few minutes..
Old 08-06-2004, 03:32 PM
Board Administrator

Tracy has out done herself again. Dax, I will get some pictures of your cartoons. Tracy used them all over the centre, plus there is a display with a lot of the funny cartoons..Simpsons, Spiderman, Galactica, Star Wars, and Star Trek Shanias.

The IGGG display is really well done, down to the smashed glass. Tracy set it up to look like biker Shania threw the ball and let the other Shania out of the glass box.

The highlight though has been the letters from Sharon Twain, written in 1986/1987, in January. It is a one page bio of Eilleen Twain. Sharon used to send these out with demo tapes. There are 3 "resumes", but the letter is really something to read. Like Shania has said many times in interviews, her mom knew Eilleen would be something. Just reading this one bio was really touching given the fact, we already know what was going to happen several months later. Sharon was an excellent writer, seems Shania got the gift from her mom.

I also got a chance to meet up with David from Longshot. Just want to say THANK YOU!!!

We went fishing today, and after about 2 hours feeding the fish, I finally caught one! Debbie took some pics.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain

Last edited by cbspock : 08-06-2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Administrator

FV as sas' photo poster operator.. Let' try this one...part of the lobby wall with the plaques..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p8050082.jpg (54.4 KB, 629 views)
Old 08-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Board Administrator

Other fan items at the centre on display...

The STNAOFC ad from 2001
The STNAOFC scrapbook, with the letter from Shania's personal assistant

The STNAOFC "Shania Star"

Debbie's cross stitches. Tracy donated the Maple Leaf picture Debbie made for her.

Dax's Cartoons.

Natasha's MIFLAW sketch

Grace's concert pictures

and many many other pics from the Up! tour donated by fans around the world.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 08-06-2004, 03:43 PM
Administrator

A new Shania fan...photo by sas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p8060136new.jpg (62.7 KB, 435 views)