Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > General
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 10-12-2003, 11:03 AM
Come on England!

Quote:
Originally posted by kirppu
Paul, when did you join?

Maybe your packet is in the mail?

I joined in July, so its nearly 3 months!!!

Paul
Old 10-12-2003, 11:50 AM

Ah, then you might be one of those who they recently shipped the package to .. they say hurricane delayed their shippings
Old 10-12-2003, 12:07 PM
Come on England!

Oooh, I hope so, I can't wait for the DVD......

Paul:cool:
Old 10-12-2003, 12:19 PM
cross-stitching nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
Oooh, I hope so, I can't wait for the DVD......

Paul:cool:

Paul, I joined in November 02 and didn't receive my package unitl something like July - 8 months after joining. I know that waiting is hard but in the end sooo worth it.

"Find Your Self Esteem And Be Forever Free To Dream" - Shania Twain
Old 10-12-2003, 12:25 PM
Come on England!

Quote:
Originally posted by Debbie
Paul, I joined in November 02 and didn't receive my package unitl something like July - 8 months after joining. I know that waiting is hard but in the end sooo worth it.

Now that IS a long wait.....

Thanks for telling me this - at least I know I'm not the only one. There is hope!!!

Paul
Old 10-12-2003, 12:27 PM
cross-stitching nut

Quote:
Originally posted by LindaB
Thanks Richard. Yep, I do need Shania and her music to get me through this. If I can make it through the first year of Law, then I might have a chance to actually reach the Juris Doctorate degree. I'm having trouble studying though. I always liked to study while listening to music, but if I put on Shania's music I can't concentrate on what I'm reading! I wonder why?

Linda

Although my cross-stitching is not nearly as important as studing for a law degee, I have a simular 'problem' with Shania. When I stitch I normally either listen to Shania or watch TV. I have no problem listening to Shania and stitching but there is no way that I can put on a Shania tape in the vcr and watch Shania and stitch. I always find myself holding the cross-stitch on my lap and watching Shania on the tv. If there is anything else, except Shania, on the tv I can stitch just fine. Shania just grabs my attention and I forget that there is even a cross-stich project, even if it is her I'm cross-stitching, in my hands.

Linda, you go girl - study and get that degree!!

Old 10-12-2003, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbspock
Then what do you want us to tell you, don't renew the membership then.

-Chris

I just wanted conversation. That's all.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:22 PM
tower

I have today asked for a refund on my membership renewal. I have that right under the rules if I claim it within 10 Days. I gave them the following reasons:

1. Renewing Early has cost me one months membership

2. They have not replied to my last 3 emails

3. They have not corrected my grievences over non US members being charged more for a 2nd class two tier service, Poor sub standard message board software and lack of content in the news section.

This is NO INSULT to Shania, just a consumer reaction to a sub standard product. If I PAY it is just that, a commercial service and if I don't think I get value for money, I quit.

Simple really, Americans of all people I would have thought understand Market Forces and Free Enterprise.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tower
Linda, as soon as you are in your first Law practise you will have to find out why the Official Fan club can not open contests for NON US fans and get that law "outta here" fast!

While you are at it, get the US law that prevents NON US Seafarers from sailing a vessel between any 2 US Ports without a green card, again you are the ONLY country in the whole world with this restriction and as a British officer in the Merchant Navy it is costing me dear.

The Seas and Oceans of this world are international, NOT American! British Ships can only sail to any one port in the US and must make a 2nd stop in Canada or any other non American port before they can return, effectivly shutting us out of the US... Imagaine the uproar if we were to do the same to American flagged vessels in the UK?

Tom, I don't know how much I'd ever be able to do about the green card problem with the Seas and Oceans. I do agree with you though, I think the US does try to exert a bit too much "power" over things like that. You're right, the Oceans and Seas are International, not American!!

As for the Shania OFC and not allowing non US members to participate in the contests, I'm hoping to discover the "reason" for that one well before I graduate from Law School. I'm a US citizen and I'm outraged that the OFC can't handle a worldwide fan base. All I can hope is that the contract with MusicToday expires eventually and Shania's Management chooses some other firm more capable to handle things on a worldwide basis for the fan club. It seems that she has now locked in with a good Management firm, so maybe it will just take time to find the *right* organization to handle the fan club. I hope, I hope, I hope.

BTW, its been a week since I got that email from the OFC customer service rep stating that the expiration date was being handled "as we speak". And guess what, the date is still WRONG. So, off went another email today asking about it. Wonder if I'll get a response this time.

Linda
Old 10-14-2003, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I have today asked for a refund on my membership renewal. I have that right under the rules if I claim it within 10 Days. I gave them the following reasons:

1. Renewing Early has cost me one months membership

2. They have not replied to my last 3 emails

3. They have not corrected my grievences over non US members being charged more for a 2nd class two tier service, Poor sub standard message board software and lack of content in the news section.

This is NO INSULT to Shania, just a consumer reaction to a sub standard product. If I PAY it is just that, a commercial service and if I don't think I get value for money, I quit.

Simple really, Americans of all people I would have thought understand Market Forces and Free Enterprise.

Tom, I'll be interested in hearing if you get any response from your refund request! If I was a non US member, I'd probably do the exact same thing. And I agree, you're not making a statement against Shania. You're making a statement about the services of MusicToday!

If they ever get my expiration date fixed, I'll post here. It should just be a simple fix to their program, but hey what do I know, I only work on computers for a living (and study for that law degree the rest of the time!).
Old 10-14-2003, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by LindaB
As for the Shania OFC and not allowing non US members to participate in the contests, I'm hoping to discover the "reason" for that one well before I graduate from Law School. I'm a US citizen and I'm outraged that the OFC can't handle a worldwide fan base.

I would suggest that you read the current contest rules and policies at the Official Fan Club website, because this statement above does not represent the situation at the moment for sure. The current contest is NOT exclusively for US residents. In addition, if I remember well the requirement they used before was NOT citizenship as you and Tower stated, but residency. There is a HUGE difference there, which is determined by the law Music Today is forced to abide by.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FV
I would suggest that you read the current contest rules and policies at the Official Fan Club website, because this statement above does not represent the situation at the moment for sure. The current contest is NOT exclusively for US residents. In addition, if I remember well the requirement they used before was NOT citizenship as you and Tower stated, but residency. There is a HUGE difference there, which is determined by the law Music Today is forced to abide by.

You are correct FV. I honestly wasn't aware there was a new contest. However, the difference with this latest contest is there is no involvement of money. The prize is a meet and greet with Shania. The condition is that you already have tickets to the show. Heck yes, this is fantastic for fans! And you're right in this case, where you have legal residency doesn't make a difference because if you have tickets to the shows involved, then you'll be getting yourself there...all they are providing is the opportunity to meet Shania.

All of the previous contests thus far did have as you stated a legal residency issue. The mixup between citizenship and legal residency is noted although I also remember that in cases where the contest sent the winner to another country, the requirement included a "valid US passport". Can someone who isn't a citizen of the US get a US passport or would they be required to have a passport from their country of origin (I really don't know this!)?

So I guess my real question is what are the LAWS that MusicToday is forced to abide by? To me it appears to be more wrapped in finances and currency exchanges since this latest contest is open to anyone and yet costs MusicToday nothing. (Frankly, I'd love to see more contests of this current nature than any of the others they've provided thus far!)

I have no doubt that there are International laws and restrictions as well as US Federal, State and local laws that MusicToday must abide by. Probably even shipping the fan club package to locations outside of the US presented issues for them. But if that's the case, maybe they needed more creative input to design contests such as the current meet and greet in Canada that don't actually have a financial impact. I don't really care if I'm flown somewhere to have a possible opportunity to meet Shania or if I'm given the chance to have that opportunity at a location close to my home or at a concert I've already planned to attend.

Maybe outraged is too strong, but I am very disappointed in the handling of Shania's Official Fan Club. Its been a year and just now they are offering this contest with no residency restriction (when that was a complaint voiced very early on to their ever changing customer service staff). I don't think MusicToday is giving their best to Shania's fan club.

But, these are just my thoughts as I escape my studies again.....

Linda
Old 10-15-2003, 01:02 AM
tower

I find it difficult to imagine how you can reside in the USA without being a US citizen with the current immigration laws.

At the very least you require a green card. I will just resign and rejoin in late November, that sorts out the 11 month for my 1st year problem and use the official fan club purely for advance ticket sales notification outside the USA.

I have had no reply to my email requesting my membership be cancelled either. Well at least they are consistant.

They should have NO problems then with non US residence when Shania tours Europe, but what REALLY got on my wick was when Shania was gearing up for the London Hyde Park Show ONLY members living in the US got the chance to fly across and see her live in London for FREE and

'Non US residents' DID NOT! Grrrrr

Is that the way it is going to be for the next leg of the UP! tour?

I suspect so.

I am sure if the Shoe was on the other foot Fran you would be one of the first to kick up some dust.

The only thing Music Today will understand is the mass cancellation of NON USA residents membership, so the answer in in the hands of everyone in the official fan club who does not live in the USA.

Simple really.

Provide the same level of membership to all or I am outta here.

(The official fan club that is)

Tom putting soap box away, as Music Today still have not refunded my membership renewal fee, so no point in getting upset really. How hard can it be with Computers dealing with *4000 odd members???

* Figure is a guess based on the combined total membership of the Boards and Forums message sites. I have more customers in my little company database.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
At the very least you require a green card.

NO. You just need a work permit.

Quote:
They should have NO problems then with non US residence when Shania tours Europe, but what REALLY got on my wick was when Shania was gearing up for the London Hyde Park Show ONLY members living in the US got the chance to fly across and see her live in London for FREE and 'Non US residents' DID NOT! Grrrrr

When Shania taped her Abbey Road Studio concert for the BBC on July 10 in London, you perfectly know Tom that the Official Fan Club invited members of the OFC who lived in London to attend the private session of the recording....a great event for sure...now in London at the same time there were plenty of Official Fan Club members from other countries who were there for the Hyde Park concert already but could not be invited because they did not reside officially in London..well all those OFC members who were there and could not be invited were only happy that the London members went to the Abbey Road recording....even if they themselves could not be invited....they showed what I consider to be class..they did not complain, they were just happy that the others could go, simply because of the rules....

Quote:
I am sure if the Shoe was on the other foot Fran you would be one of the first to kick up some dust.

Absolutely not. One of the many things I learned from Shania and her music is to be happy for others when things happen to them. It does not matter to me whether I can or cannot enter a contest, if other Shania fans can enter the contest, cool for them. It does not matter to me whether I can buy tickets to her shows in Germany or France from the OFC, if I cannot I'll find another way to buy those tickets.

Quote:
The only thing Music Today will understand is the mass cancellation of NON USA residents membership, so the answer in in the hands of everyone in the official fan club who does not live in the USA.
Simple really.

This makes a lot of sense, however from your own statement at the beginning of your previous post you are not coherent since you are planning to rejoin the Official Fan Club at the end of November.
Quote:
I will just resign and rejoin in late November, that sorts out the 11 month for my 1st year problem and use the official fan club purely for advance ticket sales notification outside the USA.

If you end your membership, end it for good. Ending your membership for a month will not change ANYTHING. It may actually cost you more if Music Today decides to increase the membership fee later.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:37 AM
cross-stitching nut

I got my response from the OFC customer service today regarding my renewal date being changed. Like Linda's email mine said that they would be fixing the date problem and that we all would be getting our original sign up dates back. Also like Linda it has not happened yet, but I'm not worried - they have a year to fix it.

Post New Thread Reply