Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania's Autobiography
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 05-20-2012, 09:24 PM

I will get her book from the library here in Nashville. I am sure they have it.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:47 PM

Truth comes out. Shania Twain's autobiography, titled "From This Moment On," has little in common with the promotional bios that came out in the late 90s. The fairytale is over. I was impressed that Shania wrote this book by herself, without help from a seasoned author. She is articulate. Wordy. It is almost as if she is writing to and for no one, just putting down her life as it happened. To begin with, her real name is Eileen Edwards. Not Shania Twain. Her mother married an Indian named Jerry Twain after she and Eileen's father divorced. One thing that irked me was how Shania (Eileen) kept referring to Jerry as her dad. She beat it like a drum as if trying to convince herself. "My dad. My dad. My dad." "My father, My father. My father." I felt like throwing the book across the room and screaming, "He's not your father!" I found myself talking to the picture on the cover. She does not look like that, but it is a beautiful image. Shania paints a different picture of family life from the ones in previous bios. Her "family" was dysfunctional. There was not enough money to pay bills. There was never enough food, and Shania was jealous of kids who were well fed. Jerry and Shania's mother argued. They fought. And the fights got physical. Jerry was abusive both to Shania and her mother. He would drag her mother out of bed by her arm while she was in the throes of depression. At age 14, Shania insisted that they leave Jerry. Shania and her mother fled to Toronto without letting Jerry know where they were. Shania met her first love and went on the pill. She matured early, performing in bars and living in an adult world. Sex, alcohol and drugs were everywhere. Finally, she and her mother went home to Timmins.

Shania writes about the frustration with her first album for Mercury. The songs were no good, and she knew it. The fairytale began when Mutt Lange showed up. The Woman In Me, Come On Over & Up! were a phenomenon. Their success exceeded her dreams. It was also hectic. A blur! Shania got what she wanted but attests to the loneliness and isolation of fame. Shania and Mutt ran out of songs after Up! and since their marriage was based on music, it had to end. With her autobiography, Shania reverted back to doing what her idol Dolly Parton does, selling the poverty of her youth.

Shania knew she and Mutt were drifting apart. He made the first move. If he had not, she would have. Of course it hurt her pride, something she has plenty of. Shania did not blame Mutt. She blamed Marie-Anne. Traitor! Backstabber! Truth be told, Shania and Mutt left each other. Their era ended in an affair for him and in hatred and confusion for Shania. There was only one road ahead for her. She had to rework her catalog of classic hits and head for Las Vegas in a 90s revival. Shania was the female Elvis and had to re-assume that role. She had to marry Fred, Marie-Anne's jilted husband. The two were cemented by fate and mutual pain. Shania, Mutt, Fred and Marie-Anne switched partners! It was bizarre!

There are better singers, dancers and better-looking women. Shania has just enough in all these areas to qualify as a total package. What adjectives describe Shania? Ambitious. Hard-working. Self-absorbed. Strong-willed. Driven. Emotional. Insecure. She is an opportunist. She is impatient, stubborn and wants it her way. Maybe we are all like that. Shania is willing to leave people behind to go to the next level, be it a boy friend of 6 years or manager/friend Mary Bailey. She gave up Mutt for their son Eja. She may eventually move on from second husband Fred.

Shania is smart, insightful. She is open and honest. She sees herself as a "surviver." At least, to this point. Sadly, no one is really a survivor.

Shania wrote that she had the body of a 25-year-old until she was 42. She will be 47 when she hits the stage at Caesar's Palace.

MY SHANIA http://jimcolyer.com/papers/entry?id=46
Old 08-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Colyer
Shania and Mutt ran out of songs after Up! and since their marriage was based on music, it had to end.

This part above is not actually in the book, maybe you are speculating based upon your guesses, but actually in the book Shania and Mutt were starting to write the new album when everything ended.

Quote:
She may eventually move on from second husband Fred.

This part above is not in the book either, it is your pure speculation, I am not convinced there is any evidence of that in the book. As a matter of fact, Shania states in the autobiography that she wanted to save the marriage, whereas it is Mutt who wanted to keep his affair going.....Shania decided for the divorce after Mutt chose the other woman. She moved on from the first marriage not because she is willing "to leave people behind to go to the next level", but because her husband had de facto left the marriage and Shania wanted a real marriage, not a sham.

Quote:
Shania wrote that she had the body of a 25-year-old until she was 42. She will be 47 when she hits the stage at Caesar's Palace.

Absolutely, and she is still clearly a 47 year old woman in the body and spirit of a 35 year fabulous female entertainer! Check the photos for the Caesar Palace's ads.....

http://www.shaniafans.com/mb/showpo...8&postcount=264
Old 12-15-2012, 04:28 PM

I was amazed at how candid and open Shania was in her book.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 PM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

On another site, someone asked if the book was only in English. I believe it is unless I've overlooked it.

Steve
Old 02-13-2013, 05:56 PM

The biography of Shania went out also in French to Canada and also in France since November under the title: " D'hier ΰ demain ".
Old 02-14-2013, 07:24 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Oh, thanks for that!!

Steve
Old 12-18-2014, 01:10 PM

Shania is young enough to where she will have to update her autobiography at some point in the future. She has a lot of living to do.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:43 AM

I have a question about the audiobook. Is that actually her reading the book or someone else. It sure sounds like her. I bought the book when it first came out, but recently bought the audiobook. What a wonderful 7 plus hours of hearing her tell her story.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddiver7
I have a question about the audiobook. Is that actually her reading the book or someone else. It sure sounds like her. I bought the book when it first came out, but recently bought the audiobook. What a wonderful 7 plus hours of hearing her tell her story.

If I remember correctly, it is Shania in Chapter 1, but for the remaining of the book is someone else's voice: Sherie Rene Scott (Narrator):

http://www.amazon.com/From-This-Mom...dio+book+Shania
Old 03-03-2015, 09:42 PM

Thanks FV, I thought that might be the case. Although I was hoping that it was her all the way through, but unrealistic.