Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > The Former Shania Centre in Timmins
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 02-08-2006, 12:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to resessions
Favorite Fan/Con memories

During this current down period while Shania is in her own element creating new music and just being a Mom and Wife, I've been thinking lately about some of the great memories that I hold dear from past Fan Conventions. Thought I'd put a few of mine into this thread and look forward to other contributions from those of you who've participated at any of the conventions.

The first person I met was Chris. We were at the front desk of the Days Inn, checking in at the same time. It was obvious to me he was a Shania fan by the looks of the T-shirt he was wearing and how everybody in the lobby (also wearing Shania stuff) all seemed to know him. When I told him I was in town for the convention too, he invited me to join the group right then and there. Felt right at home and part of the crowd ever since.

The first time seeing the fantastic displays at the STC is also a magical memory. I never tire of seeing the exhibits.

The Fan/Con1 bonfire and weenie roast was also something I remember as a time when I first got to talk one on one with other fans at the convention. I remember Erich and Shandra arrived in a cab during the bonfire and somebody saying, "Look, it's Shania !!!" and of course I believed it. Nonetheless, I learned that being in Timmins with the fans was just as good having Shania there. I love Shania fans.

I remember the happy faces as every one of us on the last night of fan/con1 as we were dancing by the large video projection of the "Up!" video. Every time I see that video or hear that song, I think of the joy of that moment and we danced away on the second floor of the Mac. During my times of feeling down, I reflect on that moment and it brings me back Up!

During fan/con2, the moment we all went to the stage and heard the recording of "Man, I feel like a woman". I remember how excited we were as we danced by the base of the stage in total awe. Tracy told me afterwards that when Carrie Ann saw me dancing by the stage at that moment during MIFLAW, she commented something to the effect of "Look at how much fun that guy is having" ... and Tracy saying something like.... "If you only knew..." hahaha

As for Fan/Con3 a few of the top memories have to be the huge crowd on the Timmins walk-about (an unofficial event) but still the shear fun of being with the fans as they filtered into Timmins before the event started. Of course a precious moment was when Allison completely blanked on naming Randall as one of the band member and straight away being ushered off the stage by Randall himself...... The privilege I had to stand on the stage and ask those not from North America to stand and seeing nearly half of the crowd rise to their feet.......The day we said goodbye to the new trivia champ (Paige) and her parents and the tears in everybodies eyes as we waved goodbye to them..... and of course I could not ommit the side splitting experience of Tom Waller in the lobby of the Toronto airport Travelodge as he proudly posed for a photo. I can't remember a time when I laughed so hard.

All of these and many more memories flood my mind when I think about past fan/con's. So what are some of your favorite Fan/Con memories?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:02 AM

Hi Richard, I am so thrilled to see this post Thanks for putting UP front all those precious and wonderful memories most of which I was there to experience too. What wonderful memories we all have of our times in Timmins and the Fan Conventions.

I too have so many precious moments imbedded in my heart but do not have the gift you have of presenting those feelings in words. Fan con 1 trip was one of the special moments in my whole life finally getting to meet EVERYONE I had been talking to via email for over 2 years. I had NO expectations of ever traveling anywhere again but just had to make the trip to Timmins and Fan Convention 1 to see the SHANIA TWAIN CENTER. The first of 4 trips I was to make to over the next few years.

Walking into the STC for the first time- although I was bouncing off the walls a bit was like coming home. What a warm and secure feeling I had. That feeling continues each and every time I visit.

THE BONFIRE THAT SIMPLY WOULD NOT LITE
THE BACK STAGE TOUR - NO SECRETS THERE
THE WORLD FAMOUS SHADOW DANCE WITH EXTENDED DANCE VERSIONS 2 AND 3
CHRIS'S FIRST FISH
AND OF COURSE THE NAME THAT VIDEO SEGMENT FROM LAST FAN CON :floor

Most important being a member of our large SHANIA family and the feelings we share for Shania and her music...

I want to thank each and every one involved who make our times in Timmins and the STC so wonderful and special. I know alot of hard work goes into making the FAN CONVENTIONS SO MEMORIBLE for each and everyone of us

THANK YOU ALL
Old 02-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Board Administrator

How about freezing our butts off waiting for the STC to open so we could get armbands to see Shania at the Homecoming.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 02-08-2006, 12:05 PM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

I am sad to say that I have not attended any of the "Fan Cons". My only visit was in 2001 when they opened the Centre. I made a very nice scrap book when I got home. Below I am pasting in some of my narrative that went with my pictures: I'm only going to post the days leading in to Timmins and those days spent there. I don't think it is relevant now to talk about the rest for this posting. We did leave home and stayed in Montreal the first night, then we went to Ottawa to stay with friends. So, from there is where I'll start. Since I did this in all caps originally, that is how I'll post it:

WEDNESDAY = JUNE 27, 2001

WE SET OUT FOR NORTH BAY ONTARIO WHICH IS ABOUT HALF-WAY TO TIMMINS. WE STAYED AT THE COMFORT INN IN NORTH BAY WHICH HAS A POPULATION OF ABOUT 56,000. WHILE THERE FOR THE NIGHT, WE VISITED THE DIONNE QUINTUPLETS MUSEUM AND ATE AT A RESTAURANT CALLED "AVERAGE JOE'S." THERE IS A BEAUTIFUL LAKE THERE. WE HAD ICE CREAM AND WALKED AROUND. IT DOESN'T GET DARK IN NORTHERN ONTARIO UNTIL NEARLY 10:30 P.M.IN JUNE!

THURSDAY = JUNE 28, 2001

WE ARE ON OUR WAY TO TIMMINS. WE WILL STAY FOR THE NEXT 5 DAYS AT THE SENATOR HOTEL. OUR GUEST SERVICES MANAGER AT THE HOTEL IS RENEE OUELLETTE. ABOUT 15 MILES OUT OF TOWN, WE SEE ONE OF THE 2 SIGNS IDENTIFYING THE ROAD "SHANIA TWAIN WAY." AFTER A WHILE EVERYONE MEETS IN THE LOBBY. WE TAKE OFF ON THE TOWN & FIND SHANIA'S HANDPRINTS. WE ALSO FIND A COOL RESTAURANT CALLED "THE LUCKY STAR." WE ASK FOR A TABLE FOR 32, HA, HA! THEY GIVE IT TO US NO PROBLEM!! END OF THE DAY

FRIDAY = JUNE 29, 2001

WE SET OUT FOR A MORNING TREK TO HOLLINGER PARK TO SEE THE SHANIA GARDEN, & THE MCDONALD'S THAT SHE ONCE WORKED AT. HER CONCERT IN 1999 DREW 22,000 TO THE PARK. IN THE AFTERNOON, WE WENT TO THE SIGN FOR A GROUP PICTURE. THEN TO THE TIMMINS TV & RADIO STATIONS TO MEET DAVE MCLAUGHLIN [RADIO DJ] & CORRINA VRONA [TV NEWS ANCHOR]. THEY ARE MARRIED. AT 6:00 PM WE WERE LIVE ON THE 6 O'CLOCK NEWS. FINALLY @ 8:00 PM WE ALL WENT TO "FIONN McCOOL'S IRISH PUB. ANOTHER FABULOUS DAY!!!

SATURDAY = JUNE 30, 2001

OH HOW INSPIRING FOR ME TO BE INTERVIEWED YESTERDAY ON TV FOR THE 6 O'CLOCK NEWS & TO HAVE IT ON TAPE. NOW I AM A CELEB.

OKAY, IT IS FINALLY HERE!!! THE GRAND OPENING & VISIT TO THE SHANIA TWAIN CENTRE. STNAOFC HAD AN INFO BOOTH. PAUL & BRIGITTE KOLB WHO ARE PERSONAL FRIENDS OF SHANIA FROM SWITZERLAND WERE THERE. THERE WAS AN OFFICIAL CEREMONY @ 11:00 AM. IT INCLUDED SPECIAL DONATIONS OF ITEMS TO THE CENTRE FROM THE STNAOFC; A SPECIAL PORTRAIT DONATED TO THE CENTRE BY ARTIST NATASHA [KNOWN ON THE CLUB MESSAGEBOARD AS "TWAINCRAZY"] & A RIBBON CUTTING CEREMONY BY NATASHA. SHANIA WAS THERE IN CUT-OUT CARDBOARD SPIRIT IF NOTHING ELSE. THE FAN CLUB DONATED THE "STAR CERTIFICATE" NAMING A STAR FOR SHANIA; & A FRAMED COPY OF THE AD PLACED IN THE TIMMINS PRESS LAST WINTER. THE FIRST TOUR "[EVER]" OF THE CENTRE FOLLOWED. ALL CLUB MEMBERS VISITED THE CENTRE TOGETHER. OUR TICKETS WERE #0024 & #0025.

NOW ALL THE CEREMONIES ARE OVER AND AT LAST WE ARE ALLOWED TO GO INTO THE CENTRE. IT IS FABULOUS. A HUGE ENTRY WAY GREETS YOU. THERE IS A NICE SOUVEIGNER & GIFT SHOP. TO YOUR LEFT AS YOU ENTER IS THE TOUR ENTRANCE CALLED: "COME ON OVER, COME ON IN!' WE SHOW OUR TICKETS AND IN WE GO. IT IS FANTASTIC. SHANIA HAS DONATED OVER $1,000,000 IN MEMORABILIA TO THE CENTRE. HER WHITE GRAMMY DRESS FROM 1998 IS THERE WITH HER 2 GRAMMYS. A MAKEUP TABLE IS THERE ALSO ALONG WITH A WALL OF STARS WHERE YOU CAN LEAVE A MESSAGE. THE MOST TALKED ABOUT EVENT HOWEVER IS THE 12 MINUTE VIDEO AT THE END OF THE TOUR. IT IS A SYNOPSIS OF SHANIA'S PROFESSIONAL LIFE USING CONCERT AND INTERVIEW FOOTAGE. IT IS AN INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE. IT IS ALMOST LIKE BEING WITH HER IN A CONCERT. PEOPLE WERE MUMBLING OVER IT UPON EXITING THE TOUR! .

End of PART I

Steve
Old 02-08-2006, 12:18 PM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

PART II:

SATURDAY = JUNE 30, 2001 [CONTINUED]

ALAS IT IS NOW 6:00 PM & TIME FOR THE SHANIA TWAIN SUITE PARTY. ORGINALLY IT WAS TO BE HELD IN THE SUITE 712 WHERE SHANIA STAYS WHEN IN TIMMINS, BUT THERE WERE TOO MANY PEOPLE, SO IT WAS HELD IN A SMALL HOTEL CONFERENCE ROOM. JONI SCHEAFER WHO RENTED THE SUITE FOR THAT NIGHT ONLY BECAUSE IT WAS SO EXPENSIVE, TOOK EACH OF US UP THERE TO SEE IT. VERY NICE ALTHOUGH NOT THAT BIG. WE HAD A GREAT TIME AT THE PARTY. WE HAD A BUFFET LUNCH, DREW NAMES OUT OF A HAT FOR GIFTS, ATE CAKE, SANG KARAEOKE, & JUST PLAIN RAPPED WITH EACH OTHER. A GREAT TIME WAS HAD BY ALL. TERRY WAS ONE OF THE SHOW STOPPERS, BUT ONE OF THE HIGHLIGHTS WAS A SHANIA LOOK-A-LIKE NAMED LYNN FROM HULL, QUEBEC WHO SANG "HONEY I'M HOME." SHE DID NOT TRY TO IMITATE SHANIA BUT DID A GOOD JOB ON THE SONG. TWAIN-CRAZY [NATASHA] WAS THERE AND "DOC" BROUGHT HIS FAMOUS GUITAR HE BOUGHT OVER E-BAY FOR $3,000. SHANIA USED IT FOR ONE PERFORMANCE AND THEN AUTOGRAPHED IT FOR SALE. ALL PROCEEDS WENT TO THE "KID'S CAFE" WHICH IS HER FAVORITE CHARITY. IT PROVIDES MEALS FOR HUNGRY CHILDREN THROUGHT NORTH AMERICA. ANOTHER FABULOUS DAY IN TIMMINS!!!

SUNDAY = JULY 01, 2001

WE WERE SUPPOSED TO HAVE A PICNIC TODAY IN HOLLINGER PARK, BUT THE WEATHER WAS AWFUL. OUR FIRST FULL DAY HERE IT WAS ABOUT 88F. ON JULY 1ST HOWEVER, IT WAS ABOUT 38F AND SOMETIMES WE SAW HAIL & OCCASSIONAL FLURRIES. THEY CANCELLED A CAR RACE NEAR TIMMINS DUE TO SLUSH ON THE TRACK. SO, WE TOOK OUR TOUR OF TIMMINS WITH LOCAL RESIDENT MICHELLE CHAPUT. MICHELLE GREW UP WITH SHANIA AND WENT TO SCHOOL WITH HER. MANY RUMOURS HAD SURFACED ABOUT SHANIA BEING THERE OR NOT. MICHELLE WAS CONVINCED SHANIA WAS AT A CAMP SHE HAS ABOUT 45 MINUTES OUT INTO THE WOODS SINCE 2 LIMOS HAD BEEN SEEN OUT THERE THE DAY BEFORE. SHANIA'S FRIEND BRIGGITE KOLB SAID HOWEVER, THAT SHANIA WAS IN SWITZERLAND & WAS DUE IN ABOUT 2 WEEKS. WHO KNOWS. WHAT WE DID KNOW FOR SURE WAS THAT SHE WASN'T THERE!

SOME HIGHLIGHTS WERE: [1] SEEING SHANIA'S HOME ON 44 MONTGOMERY STREET; [2] MARIDAN'S VARIETY STORE WHERE SHANIA CAME IN & BOUGHT A STRAWBERRY SHAKE, LOOKED AROUND & CHATTED WITH OWNER DAN EDWARDS FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES BEFORE GOING TO HER TIMMINS CLASS REUNION IN AUGUST OF 2000; [3] TIMMINS HIGH SCHOOL; & [4] SHAKERS LOUNGE, FORMELY KNOWN AS J.P.'S WHERE SHANIA PERFORMED AS A 17 YEAR OLD IN A TOP 40'S ROCK BAND CALLED "LONGSHOT."

NEAR THE END OF THE TOUR, WE HEADED SOUTH TO HAVE LUNCH AT A PANCAKE HOUSE. IT WAS PART OF A LARGE SHOPPING CENTER. MICHELLE TOLD US THAT SHANIA HAD WORKED IN THE SEARS CREDIT OFFICE AROUND 1989-1990 AND WHEN HER FIRST CD CAME OUT, SHE PERFORMED IN THE MALL TO PROMOTE IT. BACK IN TOWN, WE WENT TO SOME MORE HIGHLIGHTS, INCLUDING A CLOTHES SHOP WHERE SOMEONE WAS MAKING A SCULPTURE OF SHANIA.

MONDAY = JULY 02, 2001

TODAY IS OUR LAST DAY IN TIMMINS. THE ONLY SCHEDULED EVENT IS THE GOLD MINE TOUR. WE MET IN THE HOTEL LOBBY AROUND 9:00 AM AND DRESSED ACCORDINGLY. IT IS ONLY ABOUT 35F DOWN IN THE MINE. ON THE WAY OUT, WE STOPPED AT THE SHANIA CENTRE TOUR SIGN AND TOOK PICTURES. [A COUPLE OF DAYS AFTER WE LEFT, THE SIGN WAS VANDALIZED, BUT THEY WERE ABLE TO CLEAN IT UP WITH NO LASTING DAMAGE] COULDN'T RESIST A PICTURE OF THE COKE MACHINE. I DON'T THINK THERE ARE ANY OTHERS LIKE IT. OKAY, NOW FOR THE TRIP TO THE MINE. THE WHOLE PROCESS WAS EXPLAINED TO US. ONCE DOWN IN THE MINE, WE WERE SHOWN HOW RODS ARE DRILLED AND PLACED IN THE CEILINGS TO PROTECT FROM CAVE-INS, WHAT TYPES OF EXPLOSIVES ARE USED, TYPES OF DIGGING EQUIPMENT, & WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL. WE ALSO SAW A $10,000 CHUNK OF GOLD. ONCE BACK UP OUT OF THE MINE, WE WERE GIVEN AN ABOVE GROUND TOUR. IT INCLUDED SOME OF THE PLACES WHERE THE MINERS USED TO LIVE, A SCALE REPLICA OF THE MINE, & ALL OF THE ABOVE GROUND FACILITIES. THIS INCLUDED A BIG GRAY TOWER BUILDING WHERE WE SAW A FILM ON TIMMINS GOLD MINING HISTORY, AND WENT UP 6 FLIGHTS OF STAIRS & OUTSIDE TO A LANDING WHERE I TOOK SOME PHOTOS. WHEN WE WENT BACK DOWN, WE GOT TO PAN FOR SOME GOLD, BUT NO ONE FOUND ANY, EXCEPT FOR ONE VERY TINY PIECE OF "FOOL'S GOLD!"

TUESDAY = JULY 03, 2001 - Headed for Ottawa and then home. We got home on Thursday, July 5th around 5:00 p.m. This is the first and only time I was not in the US for the 4TH of July!

Steve
Old 02-08-2006, 01:16 PM

There are a LOT of absolutely wonderful memories. But the first one that stands out in my mind? Seeing Cody's reaction to the large billboard of the girl when we arrived at the airport in the middle of the night. Priceless.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri
There are a LOT of absolutely wonderful memories. But the first one that stands out in my mind? Seeing Cody's reaction to the large billboard of the girl when we arrived at the airport in the middle of the night. Priceless.

and all those Shania fans that met you in the middle of the night

-Chris

Old 02-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Rookie, my baby

Send a message via AIM to Kringlegirl Send a message via Yahoo to Kringlegirl
Sounds like you guys had a blast! So much I think you guys are encouraging me to go this year. Well, I realize today I need a vacation since my last one was in 2000. The money part shouldn't be too hard(unlike last year ) since I got my fifth raise last week of my whole year being there. Depending on Rookie's Vet bill next week, I'm going to get a passport.
Kringle-is a wonderful butter layered Danish pastry that was first introduced to Racine and southeast Wisconsin in the late 1800's by Danish immigrant bakers. In its original form, it was a pretzel shaped, almond filled coffee cake.
-Andrea
Old 02-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kringlegirl
Sounds like you guys had a blast! So much I think you guys are encouraging me to go this year. Well, I realize today I need a vacation since my last one was in 2000. The money part shouldn't be too hard(unlike last year ) since I got my fifth raise last week of my whole year being there. Depending on Rookie's Vet bill next week, I'm going to get a passport.

You need to come on over!

-Chris

Old 02-08-2006, 11:42 PM

Awesome contribution Steve about your experience at the STC opening.....Reading it was like being there myself. Thanks for sharing !
Old 02-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Rookie, my baby

Send a message via AIM to Kringlegirl Send a message via Yahoo to Kringlegirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbspock
You need to come on over!

-Chris

I'm just worried about how to get there? I probably could take my car but it has over 117,000 miles and my transmission is about to break. I would love to take my small hatchback since I get good highway miles and having big gas tank. Within next month or two, I'm getting the car fixed then in August I'll bring it into the shop again before I leave. I'll just have to wait and see how my car is going to be this summer. He kept stalling on me 7-12 times already for not warming up properly so far this winter. I just had to get a Ford
Kringle-is a wonderful butter layered Danish pastry that was first introduced to Racine and southeast Wisconsin in the late 1800's by Danish immigrant bakers. In its original form, it was a pretzel shaped, almond filled coffee cake.
-Andrea
Old 02-09-2006, 12:04 AM
Board Administrator

Here are pictures from the start of the project...

-Chris

Last edited by cbspock : 02-09-2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Board Administrator

The wednesday before the STC opened, Will was nice enough to give me, Joni and FV a tour of the STC... We had to wear construction helmets and a pair of boots from the gold mine tour since STC was still a construction area.

http://www.shaniafans.com/Timmins/Photos/FV5.jpg

It is really great to compare the way the stc was when it opened and the way it is currently. You can see how much the STC has grown and developed.

-Chris

Old 02-09-2006, 12:21 AM

And it's become our home away from home !!!!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by resessions
And it's become our home away from home !!!!

Yes!! and Tracy is our mom!! My best moment has to be when I went through the Centre the very first time..and at the end I saw the movie...priceless! I did not want to leave..and Warrior has the same idea of staying there to keep watching the movie..