Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 04-08-2010, 09:55 PM
#1 Shania Fan :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnFreak
There's nothing right about reality TV - it's simply rubbish.

AI (compared to everything she's EVER done) was a career downpoint.

Hopefully, Shania can rise from that.

I think she can.

John -

Shania doing AI was a career downpoint? What? She was very sweet and kind and gave contestants good feedback.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to shaniawarrior Send a message via Yahoo to shaniawarrior
Wow. I have to say I would've never expected this from Shania, but it will be interesting to see how this develops!

"I'm a vegetarian, Brad. I eat TOFU TUNA!! *slap*" ~Shania in "I Heart Huckabees"
Old 04-08-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkalot24
Shania doing AI was a career downpoint? What? She was very sweet and kind and gave contestants good feedback.

It's not about her, its about the show. Some of us think, the reality shows in general are just cultural debris - sorry if it was harsh.

The same goes with this new one Shania will do, if it will be a reality show filled with self pity or something.

On the other hand, she needs strong promotion, and unfortunately this what goes now as entertainment, so, as the title says, "Why Not?".

But personally I won't see it (not having the channel will help), and I am not sure it will add to her image, which until now was classy.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Who's On First?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud
It's not about her, its about the show. Some of us think, the reality shows in general are just cultural debris - sorry if it was harsh.

The same goes with this new one Shania will do, if it will be a reality show filled with self pity or something.

On the other hand, she needs strong promotion, and unfortunately this what goes now as entertainment, so, as the title says, "Why Not?".

But personally I won't see it (not having the channel will help), and I am not sure it will add to her image, which until now was classy.

She did appear on the shopping network - not the classiest move..and did some silly men's mag shoots some disapproved of..
Old 04-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Who's On First?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibiwanqueenst
You have to assume that Oprah's crew will be following her around while she's recording and promoting, and to be honest, Shania's team usually does a great job of securing 2-3rd year promotion (see: Up! Live in Chicago and Up! Close and Personal). Something like this keeps Shania in the spotlight after the initial promotional push without Shania having to do anything.

You know what happens when you ASSume?
Old 04-08-2010, 11:59 PM

I think it's a genius idea. Oprah has a huge audience one that Shania doesn't always have access too.

We all know her label does little to nothing to properly promo Shania. It's been a while since her last album and the scene has changed. Shania's fans have jobs and careers and little time to post on twitter to keep fans posted on up to date stuff.

Shania not only has to bring a new brillant album but also reinvent herself in a fresh new way and this may be just what all her fans and new fans need. People are always saying she's closed off and cold...letting folks in a little without being intrusive will make a huge difference. This is a good thing. Leave it too Shania to keep it going.

Last edited by isie : 04-09-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud

Are you kidding? Shania's image is no longer classy because she goes on AI and because is going to have a 1-hr special about her life? There is nothing unclassy about either. It will be no different than any other special where she talks about her life, career, etc.
Disagreeing with the need to do some sort of promotional activity is one thing. Saying the woman (or her image) lacks class is something totally else.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINAHS
She did appear on the shopping network - not the classiest move..and did some silly men's mag shoots some disapproved of..

We are not her parents -- we really don't need to be approving or disapproving of her actions. And going on TV to promote your CD isn't classy?!?
Old 04-09-2010, 01:28 AM

ET Canada had a small blurb about it at the beginning of the show right after Tiger News.

They showed footage of Shania at different places with Frederique stuff never seen before ...it should be really fun to watch what Shania has been up to.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:47 AM
...one Freaky Finn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkalot24

We are not her parents -- we really don't need to be approving or disapproving of her actions. And going on TV to promote your CD isn't classy?!?

Of course we're not her parents - but, as fans (and we're not all alike), we look at the whole picture: every promotional appearance & move... and what the reaction is. Is there consistency or slight change in the image - does every hit result in a home run. Following the business side of things can give some understanding of strategies, why tours are scheduled the way they are, even the smallest detail reflects on how the machine operates, the brand name & it's credibility.

The main doubt is in the concept of "reality TV show" itself, and what emotions come to mind in relation of hearing it... as some "reality shows" are REALLY BAD peepshows... far from class. Of course Shania's show will be done in the best taste - probably not that different from her video blogs (which I wouldn't really call "reality TV").

The QVC thing was a bit... hmmm... heh.

...and, Why not..?

John -

Last edited by FinnFreak : 04-09-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:02 AM

I agree QVC was also a strange choice, far lform the level of celebrity she was back then.And of course men magazines reached a lot of audience, but never liked it either.

And now seriously about this kind of show, which will be a series, not a one time one hour:

Shania must put into it serious content, a clear message about female empowerment, or place of women in society / entertainment industry or helping others, or about rebuilding your life.

If not, she will portrayed, as just another awfully self centered celebrity, who thinks there is something interesting and valuable to the wide public in showing herself trotting around the globe to recover, when most of the people have not the same luck to do after a personal tragedy.

And that could cause an unwanted back slash.

One cannot claim to be a serious artist, and doing shows considered very lightweight and having no cultural value.

Last edited by Jud : 04-09-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:20 AM

Old 04-09-2010, 03:32 AM
...one Freaky Finn...

For fans certainly, but is she interesting enough for the ordinary viewer..?

...and, is there a demand for a female Bono..?

John -
Old 04-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Board Administrator

I am no American idol fan but I understand how marekting works. It is the show to be on if you want people to be talking about you aroud the water cooler the next day. I think this 'reality show' is going to be like shows done in the past like in her own words that she did for Up and combination of the various fanclub videos we have seen since Up. She isn't going to be bad mouthing a certian someone.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain

Last edited by cbspock : 04-09-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:55 AM
Board Administrator

I didn't agree with the qvc thing at the time but in the end it sold CDs. Also other country singers did similar appearances afterward.

Having seen her in Timmins she was a total class act
at the hockey game. She didn't get all "celebrity" on anyone.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Post New Thread Reply