Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 08-19-2009, 09:27 PM

Shania would be a perfect fit in whatever endeavor she persues. I'm sure on American Idol she would be able to give uplifting advice on advancing the talent of the contestants.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to SmackYouTwice
Ah. ??? What in the world. We Shania fans can sure get catty! I've seen this happen on several occassions over the last several years. Guess it's what makes the world go 'round. Hmm.

I am uber excited for this! Don't watch AI... I did before tho. Just no time now as a mom. I'm probably in bed before it's even on, haha!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Who's On First?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbspock
Doesn't Simon own the show???

-Chris

He is the executive producer.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:17 AM

She'll be great. Wish I could go sing for her.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Board Administrator

http://www.examiner.com/x-2232-Fres...ace-Paula-Abdul

Add to favorites
Examiner Bio American Idol should hire Shania Twain to replace Paula Abdul

Shania Twain will judge American Idol hopefuls later this month. She should do well and I hope American Idol producers will hire her as Paula Abdul’s replacement.

Even after several years of self-imposed exile for an extended period of rest and relaxation, Shania is not forgotten and remains in high demand.

She is the ultimate in versatility, which American Idol looks for. Three of her four studio albums were Top 10 country and pop hits, and several of her singles were in the Top 10 of both charts.

Shania has won dozens of major awards for not only her singing but songwriting ability.

Her stage presence is unbelievable.

Shania understands what a good song is, the best way to sing it and the best way to present one’s self while performing it.

What are your thoughts?

---

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 08-22-2009, 05:14 PM

The new season of The X Factor started in the UK tonight. Simon said he wanted the live audience for the auditions, because of the atmosphere and audience response. So, I wonder if they will change the format for the auditions for the ninth AI?
Old 08-23-2009, 04:57 AM

‘American Idol,’ we have your Paula Abdul replacement: Jody Watley!

By Leslie Gray Streeter | American Idol, Music | August 22, 2009

No one likes to feel replaceable, but somewhere out there, Paula Abdul probably is feeling just that as she watches a parade of celebrities — including Victoria “Posh Spice” Beckham, Shania Twain and Mary J. Blige — settle into the fourth judge’s chair at auditions for the upcoming ninth season of American Idol.

After Paula’s Twitter announcement of her departure from Fox’s star-making phenomenon, the show’s producers have yet to name a permanent replacement for the spot next to Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi.

Names like Cyndi Lauper and Jessica Simpson have been thrown around, but I’ve been pushing a better candidate for years.
Like Paula, she came to fame first as a dancer, then as super-popular ’80s singer of awesome catchy hits (13 No. 1 Singles on the Pop, R&B, and Dance/Electronic charts). She’s not only kept her looks, but (and we apologize, Paula) can actually sing. And this dancing/singing diva also happens to have a few recent dance chart hits under her belt.

America, meet my candidate —
Jody Watley!
Miss Watley is the former Soul Train dancer who became famous for Looking For A New Love (which originated the phrase “Hasta la vista, Baby” years before Ah-nuld appropriated it in Terminator 2), plus Don’t You Want Me, Everything and several hits with the group Shalimar.

I wanted her to replace Paula because I was sick of Paula yammering on, spacing out and generally being kooky. But when Miss Abdul began to make noise that she might, indeed, not be Forever Your Judge, I started to wonder if my Jody dreams might finally come true.

Of course, I don’t actually know Jody Watley, and have absolutely no pull in the Idol judge picking. None of that, however, stopped me.

Surprise! It turns out that I’m not the only one who thinks that Jody, now a very fine 50, would make a very fine replacement for Paula. I put a feeler out to her people (all good divas have people) and in a few days, I was on the phone with Miss Watley herself, making my pitch to her, finding out what she’s been up to (she had some dance hits from her recent album The Makeover, just finished a summer club tour and releases a new album, Chameleon, next year) and what she’d do if she did find herself making small talk with Ryan Seacrest and suffering through another tone-deaf rendition of I Will Always Love You.

Shockingly, Jody’s got some ideas.
Q: So, for years, we’ve been pitching you as a judge on Idol, even though we had no idea if you would want to, or if you even watch the show. Do you?

A: I do! In fact, I went to the show as a guest during … what season was that? Season 2, in 2003, because one of the kids on the show at the time had mentioned me. I don’t even remember which one! Anyway, I’m a huge fan of the show. I have a love-hate relationship with it.

Q: How so?

A: You know, my friends and I, like most people who watch the show from season to season, see things that absolutely drive you nuts, like when someone gets the boot quicker than they should have. The season with Jennifer Hudson and Fantasia was the year where we said we were never watching that show again. But we go back and forth. It’s a lot of fun. On Facebook, I write posts about it and engage with my fans about it.

Q: We knew it! You’d be perfect! What do you think the judge’s job is?

A: I think that they steer the (voters’) consciousness. It’s clear that they each have people that they root for, and in their own way they guide the people. We laughed a lot this season that (judge favorite and runner-up Adam Lambert) always had the best lighting.
Q: While Kris Allen, who won, was practically singing under a lightbulb sitting on an apple crate every week.

A: (Laughs) Exactly. Personally, for some reason, I think Paula will be back, because it is a business. I think that with the press and everything surrounding it, she’ll work it out. The fans really do love her for her quirkiness. She brings a genuineness — the way she nurtures the kids is a nice balance for the rest of the judges. And like I said, her quirkiness adds to the show. She does add a lot. And if she doesn’t come back, it’ll be interesting.

Q: Which brings us to you! If you were an American Idol judge, what would you add to it? We notice that like Paula, you have a dance background as well as a singing background, making you an overall performer.

A: If I considered it, more of my (advice) would involve singing, although I do have a dance background. As an artist, songwriter and producer, being in business for three decades, I would bring my experience, and my sense of humor. I would have a way of giving constructive criticism without killing someone’s dream. I would know how to balance that, but be honest at the same time.

Q: So … have you thought about it?

A: It’s nothing I’ve ever had my reps look into. I’ve never thrown my hat into the ring. I’ve been working. But I’ve always gotten e-mails from fans saying “You should be a judge! You would make a great mentor.” That makes me smile.

Q: So would you be on the show if they asked you?

A: Absolutely! I did Randy Jackson’s radio show this year and I told him, “Yo, Dawg! When am I gonna be a mentor on the show?” And he was like “I know, I know.”

Q: Yay! If you were a judge, or a mentor, what kind of advice would you give the kids? You probably have some extra insight, having been on a TV show, Soul Train, when you were young.

A: Number one, they have to recognize that it’s a platform. When I was on Soul Train, I knew I always wanted to be a singer, so I conducted myself professionally. I wasn’t one of the dancers who was causing trouble. I was working on making myself better, thinking “What can I do to stand out?” In that situation, on Idol, it’s so huge, such an opportunity. Once you get it, you can get a little bit of exposure, pull up your sleeves and work it. Don’t wait for the machine to work it for you.

Q: Speaking of working, I read some reviews of shows you did this summer. They sound fun.

A: We were all around the East Coast — New York, Chicago, D.C. It was fantastic … it was a show, encompassing some of my classics and then newer stuff. It was really cool. Don’t You Want Me, which I co-wrote with Franne Golde, still rocks the house.
Q: You’ve had a long, long career, something the kids on Idol probably all aspire to have.

A: It doesn’t happen a lot! My solo career began in 1986, whether it was R&B, pop or dance. That all enables me to grow and try new things. The dance music I do — I’ve been doing more dance lately — is more of a soulful jazz, not disposable cheesy stuff. I love electronica music. At my shows, I see everyone from the ’80s babies to the new kids that just like music from the underground. My career has been about not getting stuck in a rut, to keep things moving forward.

http://www.pbpulse.com/music/2009/08...t-jody-watley/
Old 08-23-2009, 05:15 PM

Being a judge is something new and fun for Shania to do, but I can't see her wanting to step into Paula's shoes on a permanent basis.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to SmackYouTwice
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda122
Being a judge is something new and fun for Shania to do, but I can't see her wanting to step into Paula's shoes on a permanent basis.

I agree! My very thoughts!
Old 08-24-2009, 03:47 AM

HOT DISH: Grades Vary on Mainstream Media's Coverage of Country Music
Pondering the Attention Given to Brooks & Dunn, George Strait, American Idol

August 24, 2009; Written by Hazel Smith

Hot Dish(CMT Hot Dish is a weekly feature written by veteran columnist Hazel Smith. Author of the cookbook, Hazel's Hot Dish: Cookin' With Country Stars, she also hosts CMT's Southern Fried Flicks With Hazel Smith and shares her recipes at CMT.com.)

Nothing gets under my fingernails (and toenails) faster and deeper than somebody who doesn't know country music and doesn't care about the stars but still goes headstrong into flapping computer keys while finding new and different ways to take cheap shots at our music and artists.

For instance, news of Brooks & Dunn's "hanging up of the spurs" broke via Entertainment Tonight even before the duo said a word -- much less made an official announcement. This caused hurt, but ET did not give a flip. Fans and friends of country music have feelings.

And Scott Brown, who writes the "Hit List" column for Entertainment Weekly thought he was being funny, cute and smart when he wrote, "Brooks & Dunn are done. Well, there goes my weekend. I've got about 50 posters to cut in two." That's just a smart aleck putdown. (Yuk, yuk.) Brown knows how to spell Dunn two ways -- as in "done." Big deal.

I sure don't think I'm smart, not even clever. Lord knows, I make mistakes. But I want to make a point here. If somebody needs to say something funny or to simply poke fun over the Brooks & Dunn split, it ought to be someone who has some long-term understanding of country music.

Also in Entertainment Weekly, Whitney Pastorek wrote a review of George Strait's new album, Twang. I have to give her credit because she correctly called the Strait man's voice "hallowed" in her first sentence and even calls him "King George" in the first paragraph. Pastorek is somewhat of a fan or at least did her homework in mentioning some of Strait's career achievements. She did not criticize the album or the contents, although I felt she should have mentioned Dean Dillon's contribution since he's made a real fine living penning hits for George Strait through the years. Other than that, I have no complaints about her review.

However, I do have a question for Pastorek: Why the hell did you give him a "B" grade? "B" is average -- and Twang isn't an average record. He earned an "A." And with 155,000 copies sold the first week, the Strait-man's brand new album zoomed to No. 1 on Billboard's country chart and knocked Michael Jackson's Number Ones from the top of the Billboard 200. That's an "A-plus" achievement for sure. Yeah, big George!

Shania Twain, Paula Abdul and American Idol
Yes, there were times during almost every American Idol show when Paula Abdul seemed loopy. She came to Nashville and appeared on the CMT Music Awards, where she slurred words and seemed to be ... well ... not so quick on her feet and not so quick with her words. But if Ryan Seacrest is worth $10 million annually to host AI, I'd say Paula is well worth more than the $5 million she was reportedly offered to judge the next season.

If Paula was a Hollywood male who had an accomplished career equal to hers, there would be no question about it. The powers that be would have offered her a lot more money. (Of course, if somebody wanted to give me the $2 million she was reportedly making already, I'd gladly accept the offer on hands and knees in front of Grauman's Chinese Theatre wearing my birthday suit.) Simon's salary is obscene -- around $30 million a year, according to The New York Times -- but he's worth it. People watch that show to recall his antics the next day around the office coffee urn or water cooler.

It is peculiar, though, that Randy Jackson's salary has not been mentioned anywhere I've seen. It makes me wonder if it's a "pay the female less" issue.

Now, I read where they've approached Shania Twain about filling Paula's seat. If nothing else, Shania is scheduled to be a guest judge during the preliminary auditions in Chicago. Shania would definitely work for the show. She's a beauty. And she won't take any **** from Simon because she's smarter than he is.

Underage Drinking Can Ruin Concerts for the Rest of Us
In country music, we are so fortunate to have fans of all ages. Since the genre took root in the 1920s through the 1950s with radio shows, young fans would follow those axle-deep mud holes in rural areas to where the highway began just to see their favorites perform live. These days, we see stars on TV, computer, DVD and in concert. And we hear them on the radio, CDs, MP3 players and Lord knows what all.

Country music fans are the greatest people on this earth. Just come to Music City during the second week of June and look at the fans of all ages enjoying the CMA Music Festival. I love the fans, but I'm a little out of sorts because of the Boston Globe newspaper headline reporting more than 100 people being arrested at Kenny Chesney's recent concert at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass.

Most of the offenses involved underage drinking, which saddens me. Kenny is crazy over his fans and knows a lot of them by name. I'm sure it hurt Kenny's heart when he read about these underage kids arrested at his concert. What if the city of Foxborough decided to blame Kenny for the incident? What if those teenagers' night of boozing prevented Kenny from returning to Gillette Stadium. And, more important than that, what if one of those drunks got behind the wheel of their car or truck and killed themselves or somebody else. (That's what happened last year.) How would you feel? Well, Kenny would feel a lot worse.

More than 56,000 fans turned out to see Kenny and his opening acts, Sugarland, Montgomery Gentry and Miranda Lambert. It's a shame that a relatively small group of fans could cause such a ruckus. And it's so sad that a handful of young people could not enjoy music on a Saturday night without drinking and puking and going to jail.

Mad About Brad ... and Charlie
Have you seen Brad Paisley's new video for "Welcome to the Future"? What a great piece of work. I love that it includes Charlie Nagatani, a Japanese country artist who founded the Country Gold Festival in Kumamoto, Japan. I've seen Charlie perform on the Opry, and I've seen photos of some of my favorite singers performing on Charlie's Country Gold stage in Kumamato, Japan, with thousands screaming.

Billy Currington Praised by David Letterman
"God is great. Beer is good. And people are crazy," Billy Currington sings every day and night these days, especially after it hit No. 1. But when he sang it on The Late Show With David Letterman, the show's host allowed, "This song will be played on jukeboxes for the next thousand years." He called Billy "my hero" as he slid his arm around his back. "I dearly, dearly love this song," Letterman added. "It's absolutely perfect. ... If I was the people running country music, I'd shut it down now!" Bobby Braddock wrote the song with Troy Jones. I'm proud to say that Bobby Braddock is the best country songwriter alive today. He's been writing hits -- such as "He Stopped Loving Her Today" -- for more than 30 years.

http://www.cmt.com/news/hot-dish/16...try-music.jhtml

Last edited by cbspock : 08-24-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:11 PM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Guesting and sitting permantly are far different. I can't see Shania doing this all the time.

Steve
Old 08-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Who's On First?

I can't see her doing it one time, but then again what do we know.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:48 PM

Shania is in this week's issue (9/7) of HELLO! Canada which hits newsstands on Thursday, but I won't go into detail about the article. This is just to let fans know if they should want to purchase a copy.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Who's On First?

You can buy it in England and the USA?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINAHS
You can buy it in England and the USA?

No it is the Canada only version.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Post New Thread Reply