Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 09-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Board Administrator

Parents name their little stars after big ones

Parents name their little stars after big ones
By Maria Puente and Breanne Gilpatrick, USA TODAY
Drop into any preschool in a few years and you're likely to see a lot of backpacks marked with names like Paris and Mariah. But don't expect to find any mini-Madonnas or Clays; some famous names just don't fit with the times.

The name "Paris" is on the rise for little ones.
By Kevin Winter, Getty Images

The celebrity influence on baby names has been with us since the Bible, but now you can track it online: The Social Security Administration website (ssa.gov) has a searchable database that shows the rankings of popular names by year, going back as far as 1880.

The data show that names of celebrities, or the characters they play, soar in popularity as celebrities' careers take off. (Related item: What makes a name popular?)

Example: Paris as a girl's name shot up in popularity from 2002 to 2003, coinciding with Paris Hilton's hit TV show, The Simple Life. Paris had been known as a boy's name (The Iliad).

"It was a rare name, especially for girls, but as soon as she hit the news, you could see a nationwide measurable spike," says Laura Wattenberg, author of The Baby Name Wizard.

The link between career success and name popularity also is strong with such names as Mariah (Carey), Shania (Twain) and Norah (Jones). Same with Denzel (Washington), Keanu (Reeves) and Kobe (Bryant).

Experts say parents don't necessarily name their babies after a celebrity; they might not even like the celebrity, but they like the name. And when the celebrity is everywhere in the media, more people are exposed to the name.

"It's the confluence of exposure and the name being unusual, attractive and a bit different," says Pamela Redmond Satran, co-author of nine books on baby names.

It doesn't work for every name. Few parents today are naming their children Madonna or Elvis, for instance.

And some celebrity-inspired names rise and fall for reasons that are sometimes obvious, sometimes not:

There was a spike in Britneys after Britney Spears' first album in 1999, but the name's popularity crashed when she began sexing up her image. (Spears named her new baby Sean Preston; Sean has been becoming less popular in the past 15 years but could rebound because of Spears.)

Monica was declining slightly in popularity before the debut of Friends in 1994, but after the Monica Lewinsky scandal in January 1998, the name dropped sharply.

Clay had been losing steam since 1995, and when Clay Aiken appeared on American Idol in 2003, it spiraled further, Satran says.

Jennifer became hot among Hispanics after Jennifer Lopez hit the scene, even though it had lost its appeal for other ethnic groups because of its ubiquity, says Cleveland Kent Evans, president of the American Name Society.

Some names become trendier than the stars who started them: Jada, as in actress Jada Pinkett, wife of actor Will Smith, and Jaden, their son's name.

"Now there are thousands of people with those names that wouldn't exist if it hadn't been for them," Satran says. "This generation of parents is looking to get away from cookie-cutter stuff, and our culture of celebrities is supporting that."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifest...babynames_x.htm

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 09-25-2005, 10:09 PM
Board Administrator

Popularity of the female name Shania Year of birth Rank
2004 384
2003 329
2002 471
2001 383
2000 291
1999 189
1998 287
1997 330
1996 171
1995 444
Note: Rank 1 is the most popular, rank 2 is the next most popular, and so forth. Data are not shown for some of the years you specified because the name Shania was not in the top 1000 names for those years. Name data are from Social Security card applications for births that occurred in the United States.

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 09-26-2005, 12:02 PM

I was just reading that article on Yahoo!

What better name could a parent choose for her new baby girl than Shania?!

I wonder what those rankings translate to in terms of actual numbers. How many baby Shanias were born in the U. S. in the last 10 years?

Al
Old 09-26-2005, 01:04 PM

COOL INFO, thanks Chris
Old 09-26-2005, 01:44 PM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Thanks for the rankings Chris. I am a little surprised at it being that high I think. I don't see it all that much here. I am pleased though that it is. I would never name a kid Elvis. That's too much controversy to live with. You do see the name somewhat often in the South though, although not as much as 30 or 40 years ago..

Steve
Old 09-26-2005, 02:11 PM

my pekinese dog is named Shania, and my friend's american bulldog is named that as well...lol
Post New Thread Reply