Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Albums > Greatest Hits CD
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 11-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Board Administrator

Be sure to write a review on Amazon.com

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 11-11-2004, 11:52 PM

Shania Twain Greatest Hits

More than 41 million albums sold in the U.S.; the top selling female artist in history; multi-platinum album sales in 32 countries including Canada, Australia, the UK, Indonesia, Holland and Norway; the sixth-biggest selling album of all time and 17 top ten songs, half of which reached #1. Shania Twain is a phenomenon.

Most amazing of all, Shania has reached beyond all feasible music boundaries with just three albums – all of which have received Diamond certification by the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) for sales of 10 million copies in the U.S. She is the only artist to have three consecutive albums sell more than 10 million copies.

Behind all those statistics are millions of individuals who hear their own stories and feelings in her lyrics. Whether her songs are bursting with attitude or declaring her love in sweet and simple terms, they resonate with listeners. Now she’s brought together all of the singles that fans have come to love on one record. Shania Twain Greatest Hits boasts 17 favorites, plus three new songs.

One of the new songs, and the first single from the album, “Party for Two,” is a flirty, fun duet with country artist Billy Currington that is receiving immediate kudos from critics bowing to its unabashed catchiness. There is also a second version of “Party for Two” with Sugar Ray frontman Mark McGrath.

Though she released an album in the early 1990s with little fanfare, most people consider 1995’s The Woman In Me to be the first true Shania Twain album. That’s because, unlike her debut record, it contained songs that Twain herself wrote and delivered in her own distinctive way. Produced by husband Mutt Lange, The Woman In Me stunned the country music world, brilliantly bringing a catchy pop sensibility to the genre.

“Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under,” the first single from the album made an impression, but the brash and sassy “Any Man of Mine” really set the tone for Twain’s impact on country music. A runaway hit, complemented by a video that showed Twain’s star power off to dazzling perfection, the song became her first #1 followed by the equally attitude-filled “I’m Outta Here,” and the more low-key “No One Needs To Know.” The Woman In Me went on to sell over 12 million copies in the U.S., replacing Patsy Cline’s Greatest Hits as the best-selling album by a female country artist, and earning Twain a Grammy in 1996 for “Best Country Album.”

She followed that remarkable success with Come On Over in 1997, which saw one single after the next hit the top of the charts. “Man, I Feel Like A Woman!,” “That Don’t Impress Me Much,” “Love Gets Me Every Time” and “You’re Still The One” solidified her musical persona as a strong, but playful woman who believed in and demanded true respect. With sales of 19 million in the U.S., the album became the biggest seller by a woman in any genre of music. Not only did Twain reach beyond country music to reach pop fans, she crossed oceans, becoming a top selling artist worldwide.

In May of 1998, with two wildly successful albums, and enough hit songs for a solid show, Twain set out on her first headlining tour, Come On Over. Over the course of 19 months, she performed for more than 2.5 million screaming fans; the tour was the highest-grossing tour in country music history, and having done what she came to do, Twain finally took a break.

She and her husband retreated to their home in Switzerland, had a baby boy in 2001, and generally lived their lives for the next few years. Her distinctive voice was missed, and Country Music magazine ran an article that read like a letter to Twain, begging her to come back with more music. At the end of 2002 she did.

UP! didn’t disappoint. Released in the U.S. as a 2-CD set -- one offering a country version of the songs, the other a pop mix of them -- the album delighted fans, who snapped up nearly three million copies in less than a month. The first single, “I’m Gonna Getcha Good,” showed that motherhood and time away had not drastically altered Twain’s approach to her music. Time magazine called UP!, “Easily the best pop album of the year...with the kind of energy that reminds you how much fun the genre can be.”

Once again, the proof of Shania’s power as songwriter and performer was seen in the sales chart. UP!, certified at 10 million U.S. sales, made Twain the only artist in history to have three consecutive 10x Platinum RIAA-certified albums [the other two being The Woman In Me (12x platinum) and Come On Over (19x platinum)]. Her UP! tour was the top-grossing country tour of 2004, and often caused jaded music critics to talk in Shania-like exclamation points.

With three powerhouse albums to draw from, Shania Twain Greatest Hits is the ultimate exclamation point to her career so far. “I wanted to put together all of my favorite songs from over the years for a fun, high energy album,” she says. “This record is exactly that, as well as a dedication to all of the passionate fans who have enjoyed the music and supported me throughout the years.”

http://www.bmi.com/news/200411/country_stwain.asp
Old 11-11-2004, 11:54 PM

BMI Awards List

"Any Man Of Mine" – 1995 & 1996 Pop Awards / 1996 Country Award / 3 Million-Air

"Come On Over" – 2000 Country Award / 1 Million-Air

"Don't Be Stupid (You Know I Love You)" – 1999 Country Award / 1 Million-Air

"Forever and For Always" – 2003 Pop Award / 1 Million-Air

"From This Moment On" – 1998 & 1999 Pop Awards / 1999 Country Award / 3 Million-Air

"Honey, I'm Home" – 1999 Country Award / 2 Million-Air

"I'm Gonna Getcha Good!" – 2003 Country Award / 2003 Pop Award

"I'm Outta Here" – 1996 Country Award / 2 Million-Air

"Love Gets Me Every Time" – 1998 Country Award / 1998 Pop Award / 2 Million-Air

"Man! I Feel Like a Woman!" – 1999 Pop Award / 2000 Country Award / 3 Million-Air

"No One Needs to Know" – 1997 Country Award / 2 Million-Air

"That Don't Impress Me Much" – 1999 Pop Award / 2000 Country Award / 3 Million-Air

"Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?" – 1995 Pop Award / 2 Million-Air

"You're Still the One" – 1998 & 1999 Pop Awards / 1999 Country Award / 5 Million-Air

"You've Got a Way" – 1999 Pop Award / 2001 Country Award / 1 Million-Air
http://www.bmi.com/news/200411/country_stwain.asp
Old 11-12-2004, 01:23 AM

Now that review is what I call a true reflection of Shania's talent, impact and success as a songwriter, recording artist and entertainer. This is written by an objective and respected performing rights organization that represents more than 300,000 songwriters, composers and music publishers in all genres of music.

Shania said that she and Mutt are now in a time to look back on what they have accomplished. Well, if she would read this review, although she would be blushing, she would be proud of her hard work and success.

Thanks Jud
Old 11-14-2004, 04:17 PM
From This Moment On!

Send a message via AIM to Mary R Send a message via MSN to Mary R Send a message via Yahoo to Mary R
Shania Twain looks back on her superstar career

Not sure if this has been posted yet, saw this in my local paper in the Lifestyle section.

Mary R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shaniatlooksback*.jpg (56.6 KB, 179 views)
Old 11-14-2004, 04:18 PM
From This Moment On!

Send a message via AIM to Mary R Send a message via MSN to Mary R Send a message via Yahoo to Mary R
more of article...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shaniatlooksback2.jpg (59.4 KB, 143 views)
Old 11-17-2004, 02:41 AM

Twain's 'Greatest Hits' overload of chart-toppers

By JOANNA SAFFORD / Daily Nebraskan
November 17, 2004

Some of us may not be ready for Shania Twain’s greatest hits.

The universally popular “Come On Over” was saturated with plenty of radio-friendly chart-toppers, and her last three albums were arguably “the best of Shania.”

“The Woman In Me,” “Come On Over” and “Up!” all produced extremely successful songs, and as a result, many of the tracks on “Greatest Hits” are just too recognizable.

But every hit is on this disc, and fans shouldn’t be disappointed.

The unprecedented catchiness of both Twain’s and husband Robert John “Mutt” Lange’s production have essentially defined country-pop (emphasis on pop) since the mid-’90s.

Consequently, Twain’s work has turned into an infectious electro-country showcase. This latest collection only further reveals the processed dance beats that continue to drive her songs up the Top 40 chart.

“Greatest Hits” boasts everything from “I’m Gonna Getcha Good!” to “That Don’t Impress Me Much” to “Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?”

There are three, one could say, new tracks that really don’t explore any new territory.

“Party for Two” has two versions that feature Twain squealing and shouting at every chance.

Mark McGrath of the pop-rock band Sugar Ray poorly displays his ability to banter with Twain before the song even begins. The country version with singer Billy Currington thankfully tones down the cheese factor.

“I Ain’t No Quitter” is predictable but relatively fun, and “Don’t!” is this album’s acoustic ballad for mending relationships.

“Greatest Hits” may be Twain overload for average fans or beginners, but faithful followers probably should add this album to their Shania shrine.

Although Twain’s work has always been overproduced, this compilation deserves four stars because it really is her best of what she does. So if you want to own part Twain’s collection without purchasing at least three albums, buying “Greatest Hits” is a good way to spend your money but avoid major investment.http://www.dailynebraskan.com/vnews...7/419aeba431322
Old 11-17-2004, 04:42 AM

Re: Twain's 'Greatest Hits' overload of chart-toppers

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud
By JOANNA SAFFORD / Daily Nebraskan
November 17, 2004

There are three, one could say, new tracks that really don’t explore any new territory.

Anyways!! I think All 3 of the songs sound different especially "I ain't no Quitter" which sound a little swing to me.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:45 AM
Board Administrator

Straight outta the lab

Shania Twain’s “Party for Two” might be the single of the year. The duet, released in both country-broasted and Mark McGrath pop versions, is a laser-guided, petri dish-corrected, space age polymer orgasm of clean burning, unadulterated joy. In other words, its pitch-corrected tickle has a mandate to make you smile. And yet, “Party” is only the latest artificial high from Shania and producer/husband Mutt Lange’s ridiculously successful pop laboratory. (And Shania is certainly pop, even when she’s country.) From the foot-stompin’ fun of “Any Man of Mine,” off the 1995 breakthrough Woman in Me, through the amplified Juice Newton bounce of ’97’s “That Don’t Impress Me Much,” all the way to Up!’s robotic exclamation points in a platinum 2002, Shania and Lange implemented a songwriting method that vaulted the frames of format to focus solely on the limitless reach of the perfectly crafted radio single. While still nominally a country artist, what Shania truly became was a durable brand. Greatest Hits collects every one of her biggest hits and includes two additional new songs besides the alternating takes on “Party for Two.” It’s got the moves and it’s got the touch; like Madonna’s Immaculate Collection, it’s all the Twain you’ll ever need.

Johnny Loftus writes about music for Metro Times. E-mail letters@metrotimes.com.
http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/review.asp?id=92829

The lab????

Old 11-17-2004, 08:50 AM

I am still waiting for the reviews that really matter, well n ot that the matter but the ones from Rolling stone, EW, and Billboard. I noticed Eminems is on EW and they gave hima C-....no Shania yet.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Board Administrator

I really hate when they dismiss Shania this way. Funny how they attack a well produced album.

-Chris

Old 11-17-2004, 11:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to vidaurri
reviews

That is funny. They review the album by saying it is too slick, too perfect, too much to handle....then give it 4 stars. Face it folks,
it rocks!!!
gg
Old 11-17-2004, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbspock
Straight outta the lab

Shania Twain’s “Party for Two” might be the single of the year. The duet, released in both country-broasted and Mark McGrath pop versions, is a laser-guided, petri dish-corrected, space age polymer orgasm of clean burning, unadulterated joy. In other words, its pitch-corrected tickle has a mandate to make you smile. And yet, “Party” is only the latest artificial high from Shania and producer/husband Mutt Lange’s ridiculously successful pop laboratory. (And Shania is certainly pop, even when she’s country.) From the foot-stompin’ fun of “Any Man of Mine,” off the 1995 breakthrough Woman in Me, through the amplified Juice Newton bounce of ’97’s “That Don’t Impress Me Much,” all the way to Up!’s robotic exclamation points in a platinum 2002, Shania and Lange implemented a songwriting method that vaulted the frames of format to focus solely on the limitless reach of the perfectly crafted radio single. While still nominally a country artist, what Shania truly became was a durable brand. Greatest Hits collects every one of her biggest hits and includes two additional new songs besides the alternating takes on “Party for Two.” It’s got the moves and it’s got the touch; like Madonna’s Immaculate Collection, it’s all the Twain you’ll ever need.

Johnny Loftus writes about music for Metro Times. E-mail letters@metrotimes.com.
http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/review.asp?id=92829

The lab????

Chris

The Greatest Hits album is one album I could listen to over and over again without getting tired of it...Shania is brilliant in the way she put together those greatest hits...And yes she certainly does deserve more credit for her accomplishments in regards to her music and song writing dedication...I certainly know that Mercury has benefited from Shania's accomplishments even though they don't show it very well...I really hated how they just handed Shania her Double Diamond after the CMA's for Come On Over and did not give her any public recognition...

Benjamin
Old 11-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Board Administrator

Man, I feel like she's boring

This is the only CD I'll likely ever review without opening the package and actually sticking it in the CD player.
It sits on my desk, shiny and new, and will likely stay that way.
Twain, the pride of Timmins, Ont., is one of those artists whose sound is forever etched in a listener's mind. So, you see, there's no real need for me to go through the listening process ever again.
I can just close my eyes and there it is, Man I Feel Like a Woman.
At this very moment one of her numerous hits is probably playing on one of Kamloops' radio stations, heck, her music could be playing on all of them simultaneously.
If not, just turn to CMT. You'll find it there for sure.
One of the most overplayed acts of all-time, Twain has finally packaged it all up in a nice handy CD of 18 greatest hits plus the stunningly awful Party For Two, featuring the never-to-be-respected-again Mark McGrath and a couple of other new songs.
There was a time when I loved each one of these tracks for what they were. That time has passed for me, but credit must be given where credit is due.
Her songs, while overdone, are fun to listen to and regardless of whether they're stupid, they're delivered with spunk and verve.
For the true Shania Twain fan, this disc is heaven sent, but it don't impress me much

http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/por...id=331694&more=

Then why review it??? What a jerk!

-Chris

Old 11-19-2004, 03:08 PM

LMAO...that guy is an idiot!!!HAHAHA I especially was laughing when he said "one of the most overplayed acts of all time". Well if she is its because she is popular ...... it's not just Shania fans that are buying her music...it is music lovers out there!!
Post New Thread Reply