Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Fans Area > Life, Music, etc...
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 01-19-2006, 08:28 AM

I spoke briefly with a friend of mine here who has started running marathons and is in training for more. He works part time with a running store and said the store has sponsored a run/walk before and in lieu of entry fees they accept cans of food for Second Harvest chapter here. He could be a source of information so I'll talk with him again...if that helps..

Jud I'm with you. I'll have to join the walking division of this venture...
Old 02-16-2006, 03:44 PM

I'm going to start putting things together here locally for the Country Music Marathon in Nashville in late April. I'm going to call the effort "Miles for Meals" and focus the money's collected toward Second Harvest. I plan to open it UP! to my family, friends, patients, and drug company representatives who visit my office. I'm going to try to put together a running shirt but my artistic capabilities in that realm are seriously limited. I haven't sensed that this endeavor is gona draw much attention or support from this site but if anyone is really serious about helping me develope it send me an email. Anyone who would like to be part of any of the runs in support of the projectlet me know as well-sure could use the company on the runs. I'd love to see an annual run/fundraiser set UP! as part of the Fan Con celebrations but as I've not been able to make it the last few years I don't have any significant contacts in Timmins. Bill
A never-ending song of love and the reason for your rhyme.

Thanks-ST
Old 02-19-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I haven't sensed that this endeavor is gona draw much attention or support from this site but if anyone is really serious about helping me develope it send me an email.

I don't know if that's the case DOC! I'm sure there are lots of folks like me who for various reasons cannot join your efforts with the running part but really want to be a part of it. My organizational skills are seriously limited and I'm personally in the worst shape of my life and simply cannot run/walk that distance but CAN HELP BY PLEDGING $$'s for YOUR RUN AND REALLY WANT AND PLAN TO DO THAT.. Is it a 10 or 15K? Or More?

Quote:
I'm going to try to put together a running shirt but my artistic capabilities in that realm are seriously limited.

As to the shirt we have the master artist on our side in DAX for a concept. No better choice IMO. Dax is that a possibility?

Quote:
I'd love to see an annual run/fundraiser set UP! as part of the Fan Con celebrations but as I've not been able to make it the last few years I don't have any significant contacts in Timmins.

This would be cool indeed. I know they have alot on their plate just to organize the Fan Con events and these things obiviously take serious planning and time. DON'T! GIVE UP! I know many of us believe in Shania's cause as well. We just need to keep trying and keep the discussion going.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:34 AM
Administrator

DOC,
can you post an initial list of possible marathons you are going to run this year? So maybe some fans can find out where and/or when they would be able to join you...
Old 02-19-2006, 11:52 AM

LOL! Love ya sas! Well, this is sort of a project I set UP! for myself to do but I brought it here to see if the board was interested in joining in and making it a long term fund raising project much like our annual auction. I was glad to see some of you individually are interested and that's why I mentioned emailing me directly to work out a plan to develope it further outside of the board. I have made multiple attempts to get a hold of dax re; the project and I'm sure I just don't have the right addresses to make contact. I have been in contact with second harvest re the project but have not heard back yet. I have also been in contact with Tracy re the Fan Con issue and have heard nothing back. I think setting up a fund raising topic with a thread dedicated to a Miles for Meals club might be a good idea but the question becomes who would be responsible for collecting donations and how and when would the funds raised be funneled to the charity. There's other structural issues that would need addressed from a club perspective as well. Perhaps this club is developementally mature enough that consideration as to creating a fund raising program and process might be reasoneable. I don't know. Regardless, I'm going on with the creation of the program my self and if anyone is interested in being kept UP! to date with the progress let me know. The only runs I have planned so far this year are the Shamrock Marathon in Virginia beach over St Patty's day weekend and the "Country Music Marathon" in Nashville on April 29th (both these races have web sites). I will schedule others as the year goes on but I'm really trying to work Fan Con into my schedule this year. DOC

Thanks-ST
Old 03-21-2006, 12:16 PM

Here's the posted info in my office and in local businesses on the next marathon-DOC

MILES FOR MEALS
We’re Runnin’ Down The Hunger!

Dr Bill Paronish will be running in “The Country Music Marathon” in Nashville, TN on April 29th 2006 representing the “Miles For Meals” running club in an effort to raise money for a program called “Kids Café”. “Kids Café” is charity fund raising group that fights childhood hunger in the US and is part of “Americas Second Harvest” program. Information on the Marathon itself can be found at http://www.cmmarathon.com/home.html ,
and information on “Kids Café” can be found at http://onebigtable.secondharvest.or...ontent.asp?s=28. If you have an interest in donating money toward this run and in support of the “Kids Café” program please let either Dr Bill Paronish or his office staff know and we’d be happy to accept that contribution and provide you with a receipt for the tax deductible donation that will be used in its entirety to fight childhood hunger. If you need any more information on the 26.2 mile “Country Music Marathon” or on the “Kids Café” program please let Dr Paronish know. Thanks in advance for your help in support in the “Miles For Meals” program effort to run down childhood hunger in this country!

Dr Bill Paronish
Office# -xxx-xxx-xxxx Fax#- xxx-xxx-xxxx

I'll let you guys know how it works out-DOC

Thanks-ST
Old 03-21-2006, 01:16 PM

COOL DOC... I'm donating to this and just happen to have your address DOC so the check in the mail so to speak... I would also like to know if there is anything during the summer months you will be running in or are most of these organized for spring and fall ?
Old 03-21-2006, 03:42 PM

I plan a race quarterly or better. I just ran a 5K and a 1/2 Marathon in Virgina Beach this past weekend (The Shamrock Marathon!). I'll probably run the Marine Corps Marathon in DC in late Oct, and I'm scheduled to run the Disney World Marathon in Orlando in Jan 07. May throw some others in as my schedule allows. Love to do one at Fan Con!!! (Hint) I appreciate the donation you offered but actually I'd planned to do this only in my local area initially and try to grow the club over time. If you already sent it sas thank you and I'll deal with it and send you a receipt but I'd prefer others from the board don't send donations to me. It would be great if this board had a method to collect and disperse donations (to Kids Cafe/Second Harvest) from anyone interested in supporting this or any charitible effort or if the money could be meshed in with the money raised by our annual auction. Bill

Thanks-ST
Old 03-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Sounds really good DOC! I think if you pick one event or marathon by the end of the year I can plan to attend and train for it of course..we could put up a website to have one group for one event and see how it goes....
Old 03-21-2006, 07:24 PM

the one in Orlando in January 07 sounds good to me... I would be good with that one. Plenty of time to get in shape...
Old 03-22-2006, 08:23 AM

Sounds great guys! The Disney marathon is a really good one. Great time of the year, you get to run thru the parks, great atmosphere, there are options for 1/2 marathons etc, and guarenteed the characters are slower than we are! LOL. I warn you on this one though-it closes quickly because it's so popular so check out the web site early if your interested. Web site sounds cool FV. I did put a note about the club on the official site and the center site. DOC

Thanks-ST
Old 03-23-2006, 07:09 AM

In checking the site am I understanding that the 1/2 marathon is 10 miles???? Also I noticed that if you cannot keep at least a 16 minute mile they carry you to the finnish line... So I guess if you are not a runner as long as you can keep that pace you can power walk? Or is it for runners only? I may be there for moral support but we will see.... BTW DOC what is your time for 1 mile? If you don't mind me asking
Old 03-24-2006, 06:01 AM

SAS
A 1/2 Marathon is 13.1 miles, a marathon is 26.2 miles. You definately can powerwalk these races. Walking at 4 miles an hour keeps you at a 15 min per mile pace and power walking is faster than that. I can give you alot of advice re training if you decide to do this. My pace depends on the race. 8K's-8:30, 1/2 marathons-9:30, marathons-10:15. You'd do fine if you train reasoneably and have a blast-I promise-and you'll be hughly proud of yourself for doing it! CHECK OUT THE WEB SITE- JEFFGALLOWAY.COM DOC

Thanks-ST

Last edited by DOC BILL : 03-24-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:14 PM

Here's some cool info for those of you who might be interested in the MILES FOR MEALS club concept of raising money in support of Shania's charity favorites (Second Harvest/Kids Cafe)-The Country Music Marathon that is the first event that the club (yeah, so far that's ME!) will be running/walking in already has over $500.00 in recieved donations! (Some of that from a very special Shania fan from this site!). Hopefully the next month will see that number go UP! and UP! and UP! If I don't beat my personal best time on this run with all that love pushin' me on and with sas's wind on my back (LOL!) I'll never beat it. I'll keep you UP! to date as the event gets closer. HoBEEEHo, we're runnin' down the hunger! DOC

Thanks-ST

Last edited by DOC BILL : 03-28-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Administrator

I have been looking at the Disney half marathon website...and will do some planning within the next month or so...need to work on a plan for the training though...
Keep going DOC!!