Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 10-08-2003, 01:50 AM

Boston Articles

Twain offers her signature sugary pop

By Sarah Rodman
Wednesday, October 8, 2003

Nobody can say that Shania Twain holds herself above her fans.

Last night at the FleetCenter the Canadian songbird - resplendent in a Nomar Garciaparra jersey - admirably, and sometimes distractingly, spent almost as much time singing her breezy pop country hits as she did interacting with members of the cheering crowd of 17,000-plus fans.

Whether she was signing literally hundreds of autographs for all comers to the front of the stage, dispensing hugs to sweethearts celebrating anniversaries, ceding the microphone to a man making a marriage proposal, bringing two little girls onstage to sing or allowing some local drummers to strut their stuff, Twain was downright interactive in her generous and surprisingly zippy two-hour and 20-minute performance.

As for the music itself, it was trademark Twain: all candy coating, no chewy center, drawing songs from all her albums with nine from her most recent ``Up!'' But it's unlikely anyone in this house of Twain-iacs was seeking substance. More likely the cheering folks, aged 3 to at least 63, were looking for a good sugar rush and to stomp their boots. They definitely got that chance as Twain and her energetic nine-piece band shimmied around her center stage setup churning out the juicy backbeats of exclamatory pop tunes like ``Man! I Feel Like a Woman!'' ``Rock This Country!'' ``(If You're Not In It For Love) I'm Outta Here!'' and ``I'm Gonna Getcha Good!''

While the band was gifted, musically and vocally, and highly entertaining to watch - multi-talented multi-instrumentalist Alison Cornell deserves a stage of her own - occasionally the brawny sound of three fiddles, two keyboards, two guitarists, bass, drums and percussion drowned out the vocals of the main attraction, which were themselves spotty in places.

That's why less cluttered songs like ``No One Needs to Know'' and ``You're Still the One'' were such a treat. The former, stripped to bare acoustic essentials, featured great Everly Brothers-style harmonies, smoky harmonica licks and a sassy Elvis-like swagger that fits Twain to a T. The latter is a simplistic but well-crafted pop ballad with an irrefutable melody that had the crowd singing along.

``Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under'' featured a satisfyingly slinky groove and some ambling saloon piano and ``Any Man of Mine'' was the best of the many Reba McEntire meets Def Leppard hybrids.

A few songs suffered from her constant signing, robbing ballads like ``When You Kiss Me'' of emotion as she rotely hit every lyric while simultaneously scribbling on tickets and shirts. But Twain's easygoing stage presence and energy carried the night.

(Shania Twain, at the FleetCenter, Boston, last night. )
http://theedge.bostonherald.com/mus...g?articleid=292
Old 10-08-2003, 02:00 AM

Quote:
But it's unlikely anyone in this house of Twain-iacs was seeking substance.

I'm hope someone will write a letter to this Ms. Rodman. Who the heck she thinks she is?

She holds herself above those 17000 Twain-acs, and some more. Shame on her!

Last edited by Jud : 10-08-2003 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:33 AM

Haha, she went into the show with a prejudice, but could not help herself being impressed by the entertaining skills of her and the band

From someone who has a pre-determined mind, this was a good enough review.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:37 AM

Yeah, I know, generally with all her bashes is a good review.
Yet that one sentence is too much.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:54 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud
I'm hope someone will write a letter to this Ms. Rodman. Who the heck she thinks she is?

She holds herself above those 17000 Twain-acs, and some more. Shame on her!

Jud you saved me the trouble of posting it. Now, I think she was joking about the substance part. I thought it wasn't a bad writeup.

Apparently, the Globe didn't think it was important enough to eve do a story. After doing everything but asking for the kitchen sink, I found nothing!

Steve

Last edited by Steve F : 10-08-2003 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:09 AM

An exuberant Shania Twain gets up close and personal

By Ken Capobianco, Globe Correspondent, 10/9/2003

Shania Twain likes exclamation points. About half of the songs on her recent record ''Up!'' were punctuated with them, and her performance at the FleetCenter Tuesday felt like a living, breathing exclamation point. Twain entertained the sold-out arena with a big, brassy, vivid performance featuring pyrotechnics, dazzling lighting, dramatic moments, and top-notch musicianship.
Playing in the round on a multitiered stage with nine musicians -- including three fiddle players -- the country crossover star amiably bounded about as she worked her way through most of ''Up!'' and songs from her recent catalog. There may be no more fan-friendly performer working these days. Twain spent much of the night glad-handing almost everyone who reached out for her, signing autographs, and stopping the show to take pictures with audience members. At one point she invited two young girls up to center stage to sing solo.

Musically, it's easy to understand Twain's popularity. Her songs are built around broad choruses with catchy, uplifting phrases, and there's more than enough mainstream pop to ingratiate her to those who don't like their country roots to run too deep.

The first half of her show, during which she wore a Red Sox jersey (Nomar, of course), was peppered with such radio-friendly songs as ''Man! I Feel Like a Woman!,'' ''Up!,'' and ''I'm Not in the Mood (to Say No!).'' They're more rock songs than anything else, but, as she said when trying to define her musical genre, ''I don't fit anywhere, I fit with you guys.''

With the audience is where she sang the ballad ''The Woman in Me (Needs the Man in You),'' accompanied only by her guitar player. Sometimes Twain's affability was a turnoff, though, as when she sang ''Love Gets Me Every Time'' and ''That Don't Impress Me Much'' on autopilot, reciting the lyrics mechanically while fumbling from pen to pen to sign autographs.

But there was more than enough dazzle in the set to compensate. The second half opened like halftime at the Super Bowl, with Twain singing ''From This Moment On,'' a big power ballad, augmented by dry ice and fireworks. A home stretch filled with a medley of early hits ''Come on Over'' and ''(If You're Not in It for Love) I'm Outta Here!'' (featuring a dozen local drummers) showcased the band's crisp musicianship and Twain's song-savvy ways.

As a capper, Twain opened the encore with ''You're Still the One,'' but before she sang it, she allowed a man in the audience to surprise his girlfriend by proposing (she said yes). It was a shameless moment, more Las Vegas than Nashville, but all in keeping with Twain's populist persona. Someone find this lady an office to run for.

Shania Twain at the FleetCenter Tuesday.
Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/2...rson al+.shtml
Old 10-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Re: An exuberant Shania Twain gets up close and personal

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud
Someone find this lady an office to run for.

LOL!