Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > North American Summer Tour 2018!
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 10-28-2003, 11:48 PM
Banned

Minneapolis Concert - 10/28

Post reviews and pictures here.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:50 PM
Board Administrator

Yeah, we are all dying to hear!!

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 10-29-2003, 12:01 AM

Concert review: Shania Twain's wild is mild
Jon Bream, Star Tribune

Published October 29, 2003 SHAN29

Shania Twain gone WILD!

The country/pop queen went WILD! Tuesday at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul by -- of course -- wearing a Minnesota Wild jersey, shaking her long, luxurious locks like a pop-metal vixen and shouting "WHEW!" after nearly every song. Truth be told, hers was a pretty tame performance.

Like her visually sumptuous videos, Twain gave an entertainingly air-brushed concert. Except, unlike her meticulously edited videos, this effort was devoid of humor, emotion and, most of all, personality. To be sure, there was plenty of flash and fireworks (literally), lots of energy and positivity, and a whole lot of hair-tossing and hometown boosterism (she wore a Vikings jersey for the encore). And the Xcel record-setting crowd of 20,554 -- 204 more than witnessed Elton John/Billy Joel -- ate it up.

Shania TwainKyndell HarknessStar TribuneBut the two-hour concert seemed like an overlong aerobics class with a loud live band and a smiling poster-perfect instructor whom you couldn't take your eyes off.

Twain, 38, delivered every song with the same tone, intensity and expression. Her current best-selling CD "Up!" -- from which she drew about one-third of Tuesday's repertoire -- was an apt description of her spirit and sloganeering songs of belly-button-baring feminism. Even the bouncy, crowd-pleasing "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?" was performed in the same sunny manner, lacking the mounting anger that the lyrics suggest.

Only once did Twain demonstrate the kind of nuance that might suggest that she is a vocalist rather than an actress who has mastered choreographed moves and a cover-girl smile. When she left her theater-in-the-round stage and sat among her fans, she sang "The Woman in Me (Needs the Man in You)" with a bluesy soulfulness, with an ache and longing in her voice.

Some of Twain's new tunes echoed pop favorites of the past, with "C'est La Vie" appropriating a musical line from ABBA's "Dancing Queen" and "Forever and For Always" evoking the Carpenters. However, most of her material borrowed the booming '80s pop/ rock bottom of Def Leppard, the pop-metal band that helped make Twain's producer/husband/co-writer, Mutt Lange, famous. Twain, touring for the first time in four years, didn't say boo about him or their 2-year-old son.

She doesn't share anything personal in concert. And the only moments of spontaneity were when she visited with two young girls from the audience. She brought Stephanie from Duluth onstage to sing and later coaxed a 5-year-old in a white cowgirl suit onstage because she seemed upset when Twain had passed her by in slapping hands with fans.

The heartwarming and very human conversations with the kids said more than about Twain than the rest of the night.

Jon Bream is at 612-673-1719 or popmusic@startribune.com.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1374/4181242.html
Old 10-29-2003, 12:09 AM

Wasn't this the night for Kaylee to go on stage with her?

Seems they are filling in the Official Shania Concert Review Form again, just changing the date and venue. What a croc - They ignore the oversold out crowd's cheering response and standing ovation - that is the true review!
Old 10-29-2003, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Knight1
And the Xcel record-setting crowd of 20,554 -- 204 more than witnessed Elton John/Billy Joel -- ate it up.

WOWOOW! Take THAT CMA!
Old 10-29-2003, 12:20 AM

You still don't get it?
They don't care about the crowd reaction. That doen't matter, the masses are dumb.
They (critics) are only the ones who understand music.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:28 AM

Like her visually sumptuous videos, Twain gave an entertainingly air-brushed concert. Except, unlike her meticulously edited videos, this effort was devoid of humor, emotion and, most of all, personality. To be sure, there was plenty of flash and fireworks (literally), lots of energy and positivity, and a whole lot of hair-tossing and hometown boosterism (she wore a Vikings jersey for the encore). And the Xcel record-setting crowd of 20,554 -- 204 more than witnessed Elton John/Billy Joel -- ate it up.

Talk about contradicting himself - first he says the concert was devoid of emotion and personality, then he praises her for her energy, positivity and says the record seeting crowd ate it up. Later he gives her marks for her warm, humourous conversations and spontanaety with the kids - I think he liked the concert but couldn't bring himself to say it.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Talk about contradicting himself - first he says the concert was devoid of emotion and personality, then he praises her for her energy, positivity and says the record seeting crowd ate it up. Later he gives her marks for her warm, humourous conversations and spontanaety with the kids - I think he liked the concert but couldn't bring himself to say it.

Sure. He had to fill the "Official Shania Twain Concert Review Form" and there was not a column with: the reviewer liked the concert - possibility.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud
Sure. He had to fill the "Official Shania Twain Concert Review Form"
and there was not a column with: the reviewer liked the concert - possibility.

:LMAO :LMAO Good One Jud
Old 10-29-2003, 06:18 AM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud
Sure. He had to fill the "Official Shania Twain Concert Review Form" and there was not a column with: the reviewer liked the concert - possibility.

Good point. I love how the critics have this thing about her not being personal. What is supposed to do on stage, whip out the baby pictures? God forbid they say they liked the show.

-Chris

Old 10-29-2003, 01:11 PM
Who's On First?

Old 10-29-2003, 02:42 PM
cross-stitching nut

Quote:
Originally posted by AINAHS

Cool Picture!

"Find Your Self Esteem And Be Forever Free To Dream" - Shania Twain
Old 10-29-2003, 02:50 PM
Board Administrator

Funny how she is not showing any emotion in that picture..lol

-Chris

Old 10-29-2003, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AINAHS

From this really great picture of Shania! I would guess that Shania is really having a great time smiling and singing with her fans!! That guy that criticizes Shania Twain obviously is there for one reason!! Everyone else is probably having fun!! I remember what she was like at the MCI Center fool of energy and doing many things at once with her fans and singing at the same time!! Shania Twain is one multitasking ninja!! She knows how to give her fans a good time!! I have seen it and it will be forever indelibly inbeded in my memory just seeing her sing there!! I loved her!! Shania Twain is such a wonderful person!! Thanks for the great picture of Shania Twain on Tour in Milwaukee!!

Benjamin
Old 10-30-2003, 09:13 AM

I too, noticed the seeming contrast from the reviewer, about lack of emotion and personality in one sentence, then in the next - acknowledging lots of energy and positivity. At first I too, thought he was shooting his own review in the foot. But after further reflection, I thought it more likely that he was trying (like I often do) to get at something he was aware of, but didn't have the time to represent clearly in his words.

First, our own members' reviews of the subsequent concert indicated vastly increased security as a result of an incident at the immediately previous concert in Minneapolis. So if ST was not completely fluid and dynamic in some aspects of her performance, she may have had a darned good reason.

Second, repeating all these performances so often, can't help but have some of the same effect that DocBill expressed concern about and what he saw in those Meet and Greet photos. Even without the extra distractions that can come up like the security incident, there are plenty of other things that can occur, to distract a performer, from always being able to develop the full range of personal effects, especially when those effects are so wide and deep that few if any other performers ever could match it. ST and her band are doing so many things on stage that it has to be choreographed quite a bit. And tho good planning often leads to great spontaneity, it doesn't always lead to perfect spontaneity. If I as a friendly supporter, can pick up on various imperfections here and there, it should come as no surprise that less supportive reviewers will too, even though they don't necessarily develop their ideas completely, nor communicate them consistently.

As for the observation that reviewers include criticism because their review form doesn't include a column or checkbox for "I Liked the Concert," that's funny; but of course not literally true. Figuratively, reviewers do have to give their impressions of both the good and the bad. And some of them are motivated by influences that can bias. Tho I don't like their inaccuracies, or when they are overall unbalanced toward the negative, strangely, after I see you guys lambasting and lampooning them, I want to sort out the wheat from their chaff and preserve it, rather than throwing it all down the drain.
Post New Thread Reply