Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > North American Summer Tour 2018!
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 11-22-2003, 12:44 AM

Huston concert

This is from BB posted on the forums:

Hey Rockers!!

I'm writing to you from the dressing room at the Toyota Center in Houston, TX.

This is a beautiful venue. We had a blast tonight. It was so great to get back up there after a long break and rock for the fans again. It's such a joy and we're all very thankful to be up there with Shania.

Thanks to all you Houstonians who were there tonight. You all truly jammed. Give me a shout and say hello at my website.

Peace,
B.B. Barcus
mileyandbb.com
Old 11-22-2003, 12:52 AM

Shania's score

Bill Olive / Special to the Chronicle
Sporting a Houston Texans jersey with quarterback David Carr's number, singer Shania Twain entertains the home crowd at the Toyota Center on Friday.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:53 AM

Nov. 21, 2003, 11:35PM

Review: Shania Twain brings Houston a pop show with a country twang
By MICHAEL D. CLARK
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Shania Twain, the biggest selling female artist of all time, brought her worldwide Up! tour to Houston's downtown Toyota Center Friday night with the intention of throwing the country concert event of the season.

Instead, Twain delivered a pop-rock show with a few twangy frills. It was certainly more memorable than her abbreviated set at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo several years ago, but still failed to reach the spectacular heights psuedo-Nashville peers the Dixie Chicks brought to town recently.

Twain's more than 15,000 fans should not be surprised that her two-hour show is more Las Vegas shimmer than Music Row swagger. Anyone who bought a copy of her last album Up!, featuring both country and rock arrangements of each song, should have been prepared for musical parity. What was more surprising is how far she has strayed visually from the contemporary country that made her a household name and helped her sell a staggering 34 million albums worldwide to date.

Since Twain's first and last world tour three years ago, her touring ensemble has become more like the big budget traveling tilt-a-whirl productions associated with the likes of 'N Sync and Britney Spears.

Her nine-person band of fiddles, steel and electric guitars, bass and percussion, were a youthful crew dressed in the faux street-tough denim and sleeveless muscle shirts usually associated with Michael Jackson's "Beat It" video or gang movies like The Warriors and The Outsiders. The players also doubled as dancers (a cost-effective bit of double duty on the entrepreneurial Twain's part), strumming strings and stepping along the stage perimeter in anticipation of Twain's entrance.

Dressed in David Carr jersey, shiny black pants and wrestling shoes, Twain appeared from under the lower level risers. She greeted fans while walking through the crowd as the familiar violin hook of "Man! I Feel Like A Woman!" filled the building. The petite singer took her place on an elevated platform at the center of the oval with bandmembers climbing the stairs periodically to pay their respects.

Watching Twain move through songs from Up!, as well as her career-making album "Come On Over" and a few selections from her early career, is probably comparable to catching Celine Dion at her tailored Las Vegas studio. Little of the performance feels terribly spontaneous, but it's aesthetically pleasing.

Twain's vocals on the song "Up!" sounded as if they'd been washed through a sound purifier before being delivered through the walls of speakers hanging overhead. Not a single inhale or slip could be detected. The three-violin attack on "Honey, I'm Home" should have been a little raw, but each part could be heard perfectly.

It was a lot like listening to the records themselves, but on a far superior sound system.

Twain doesn't always break new ground, but she usually sounds mid-range perfect while swiping pleasing ear candy from others. "C'est La Vie" is a remake of Abba's "Dancing Queen" with a little steel guitar added on top to dust it up a bit; the sustained notes of "When You Kiss Me" should remind many of Bette Midler's "From a Distance."

Twain shows her own original gift on wedding reception ballads like "Forever and For Always" and "From This Moment." Her fragile, quaking voice can take an affectionate sentiment and rub it with enough puppy love and goose bumps to jump start any relationship.

Ironically, it's her older, more country tracks from 1995's The Woman In Me album that were the most well-received. While "That Don't Impress Me Much" and "I'm Gonna Getcha Good!" got the crowd to their feet, it was the string attack "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?" that had them two-steppin' in the aisles.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistor...politan/2242050

Last edited by Knight1 : 11-22-2003 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:06 AM

Not bad from someone from Houston.

I like their contradictions:
- First he state she seems to use voice purifying,
- then that she can sound middle-range perfect,
- than she has a fragile quaking voice.

Made UP! your mind, dude!

But even more funny, how they are preoccupied with the dress,
and that is not country. Which is funny, Shania doesn't wear different clothes than during the COO tour.

Last edited by Jud : 11-22-2003 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:13 AM
Board Administrator

Funny, another "paint by numbers review" HOW DARE HE COMPARE Shania to NSYNC and BRITNEY!!! They just have to get their digs and insults in. Like you can really tell something is running through a "sound purifier" I think he made that up. There seems to be an agenda in each review that says her "older more country" stuff is more popular. Like they want to spin it she needs to go trad. Funny when the TWIM came out, it was not considered country. What hypocrites.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain

Last edited by cbspock : 11-22-2003 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:18 AM

Twain's vocals on the song "Up!" sounded as if they'd been washed through a sound purifier before being delivered through the walls of speakers hanging overhead. Not a single inhale or slip could be detected. The three-violin attack on "Honey, I'm Home" should have been a little raw, but each part could be heard perfectly.

What do you think about the above quote - is it a cheap shot against Shania that they wouldn't say with another artist (if they couldn't hear an inhale) or does the UP! song come off so polished that it invites the "sound purifier analogy"? She has had trouble with the UP! song in TV show performances - Leno, Letterman - what do you think.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:21 AM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Knight1

What do you think about the above quote - is it a cheap shot against Shania that they wouldn't say with another artist (if they couldn't hear an inhale) or does the UP! song come off so polished that it invites the "sound purifier analogy"? She has had trouble with the UP! song in TV show performances - Leno, Letterman - what do you think.

It is just a slam. I have been to three concerts, she has no problem with any of the songs, and the band is dead on. TWIM is awesome as well!! Shania had a problem on Leno because she was sick as a dog. She had no problem on letterman. They were all getting back into the swing of things on Letterman, so the whole composition was rough in the beginning.

-Chris

Last edited by cbspock : 11-22-2003 at 01:37 AM.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:34 AM

Look it like this:

he says, they used voice purifing on UP!, but she has a fragile and quancky voice on FTMO.
Do you see here any consistency?
Old 11-22-2003, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbspock
It is just a slam. I have been to three concerts, she has no problem with any of the songs, and the band is dead on. TWIM is awesome as well!! Shania had a problem on Leno because she was sick as a dog. She had no problem on letterman. They were all getting back into the swing of things on Letterman, so the whole composition was rough.

It is funny you don't hear about Britney's whole "act"

-Chris

Good point Chris - The good ole boys will never give her her due - and that is she has awesome singing talent and showwomanship - simple as that. I mean, Shania was blowing them away at Deerhurst for petes sake. Deerhust wasn't a big budget special equipment musical show - just great show tunes. It was Shania's voice alone that excited the audience and Dick Frank. The critics keep forgetting that.

Last edited by Knight1 : 11-22-2003 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:38 AM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud
Look it like this:

he says, they used voice purifing on UP!, but she has a fragile and quancky voice on FTMO.
Do you see here any consistency?

Good point.

-Chris

Old 11-22-2003, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud
Not bad from someone from Houston.

I like their contradictions:
- First he state she seems to use voice purifying,
- then that she can sound middle-range perfect,
- than she has a fragile quaking voice.

Made UP! your mind, dude!

But even more funny, how they are preoccupied with the dress,
and that is not country. Which is funny, Shania doesn't wear different clothes than during the COO tour.

Jud

That article is similar in content to the one I posted on Dallas Tour Show but at least the add in the Dallas Morning News did not criticize Shania's voice or her band! This guy is really pro country! So he wants to put her down anyway he can! This attitude does not surprise me much! You are right Jud he is not even consistent in his critique of her! So we know what he is all about!

Benjamin
Old 11-22-2003, 12:53 PM

Haha, it was actually funny reading this guy's "review"

The prejudices came out so strong and the inconsistencies were so noticiable
Old 11-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Re: Shania's score

Quote:
Originally posted by Jud

Bill Olive / Special to the Chronicle
Sporting a Houston Texans jersey with quarterback David Carr's number, singer Shania Twain entertains the home crowd at the Toyota Center on Friday.

Great photo! Typical Shania attitude!
Old 11-22-2003, 08:47 PM
Who's On First?

Quote:
Originally posted by kirppu

Around here we would call the fella transparent.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kirppu

Kirppu

The stereotype is fairly obvious from that article and also the one from the Dallas Morning News was basically the same just not quite as bad as the Houston Chronicle! At least the Dallas Morning News had some good things to say about Shania Twain even though they try to protray her as always needing help with music! They know that she is good because they have the facts in front of them! As usual they try always to distort the facts! But Shania Twain is used to that because she knows what she can expect from one locale in the United States to the other! But inspite of all that Shania brings her music to her fans who really want to see her and she has a lot of fans in Texas! I wonder how she will do as to concert attendance in Houston and Dallas! I can't wait to hear from Ellie when she gets back from seeing Shania Twain in concert there! It is after all where I am originally from!

Benjamin