Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[] Still the One in Vegas!
[] Shania on Spanish TV
[] Shania on French TV
[] Shania in TIME!
[] Shania on Today Show
[] Shania at Grey Cup
[] Shania on Late Show
[] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[]Chatroom
[] Board Members Pics
[] Timmins Trip Photos!
[] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > North American Summer Tour 2018!
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 12-03-2003, 06:01 AM

Shania in Salt Lake City

Last edited by cbspock : 12-03-2003 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:07 AM

Twain shows Utah fans why she's a superstar

Canadian star Shania Twain, at the Delta Center on Tuesday, shows why she's the best-selling female artist of all time. (Danny Chan La/The Salt Lake)
By Dan Nailen
The Salt Lake Tribune

Shania Twain delivered all that any fan of the best-selling female artist of all time could hope for at her packed Delta Center show Tuesday.
Twain adeptly mixes pop and rock with country on her megahit albums, and did the same through two hours of the kind of pyrotechnic-fueled spectacle one would expect from a hard rock band. Through all the fireworks and confetti, though, the Canadian songstress stayed rooted in the strong songs that brought her here.
Twain first appeared not on stage, but with the crowd on the floor, singing her hit "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!" as more than 16,000 fans roared. It was not the only time she would get close enough to touch her audience; she accepted gifts, signed autographs and acknowledged homemade posters -- even invited a few fans onstage.
Wearing an Andrei Kirilenko Jazz jersey and jeans, Twain hopped on the tallest platform in the middle of the arena and directed the show from there. The energy was high from the start, with "Up!," "Honey, I'm Home," "C'est la Vie" and "She's Not Just a Pretty Face" keeping most of the crowd on its feet.
"What a welcome to this city!" Twain enthused. "We were in Denver last night, and they were pretty loud, but I think Salt Lake City can give them a run for their money."
A raucous version of "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?" and a steel guitar-laced "Forever and For Always" were as country as Twain got. Most songs got a rock kick from her band, an ultra-fashionable crew that delivered its music and vocal harmonies with studio-quality precision.
Precision was the rule all night: there are no rough edges on Twain's songs, even live. A little spontaneity would go a long way, but Twain is happy delivering near-perfect copies of the songs' recorded versions.
The crowd certainly had no problem with that, cheering wildly through a string of undeniable hits, including "The Woman in Me (Needs the Man in You)," "That's Don't Impress Me Much" and "I'm Gonna Getcha Good!"
They couldn't ask for much more from a superstar.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:41 AM
Board Administrator

Twain adeptly mixes pop and rock with country on her megahit albums

I seem to recall using that to describe the Chicago show

Do people listen to the albums? The live versions ARE different.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain

Last edited by cbspock : 12-03-2003 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:03 AM
Administrator

That's a very good review! WOOOW! The critics seem to get what she is doing finally...
Old 12-03-2003, 03:43 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by FV
That's a very good review! WOOOW! The critics seem to get what she is doing finally...

One critic anyway..lol I guess he is happy and doesn't need a raise....lol

-Chris

Old 12-03-2003, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by leonjr
Stay tuned for some pics from this concert. I fear nothing I have is as good as the first pic in this thread though. At least none of the digital pictures are. I have some other film to develop though. Maybe they came out better.

Alright!!!!!!!! Give us a review! How was seeing Shania in concert? Details, Details....
Old 12-03-2003, 06:37 PM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Some pics to tide you over....So much for that idea....the file is too large, although I seem to recall much larger pics being posted by others....

We can put them on the sites servers. If you email them to me, I can put them on my site, and link them here.

-Chris

Old 12-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Chris,

Please post your email address, and I will send some of the pics to you.
They may have to be sent from an email address which allows me to send much larger attachments.

Leonjr,
either one of these email addresses:

cbspock@shaniasplace.com

fv@shania-twain.org

Old 12-04-2003, 08:00 PM

Another Great Review!

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C...36243%2C00.html

Jazz-clad Twain gives fans energy-laden performance
By Pat Reavy
Deseret Morning News

SHANIA TWAIN, Delta Center, Tuesday.

Singer Shania Twain played to a sold-out crowd at the Delta Center Tuesday night wearing a Utah Jazz jersey, blue jeans and sneakers.

Michael Brandy, Deseret Morning News
She's a little bit country. She's a little bit rock 'n' roll. It's a formula that has proven successful in Utah in the past. But mostly, Shania Twain is an outstanding all-around performer.
The pint-size superstar rolled her big in-the-round stage production into the Delta Center Tuesday night, cranking out 18 songs plus a medley of four others in an energetic two- hour show. Opening with "Man, I Feel Like A Woman!" Shania kept the crowd on its feet for upbeat songs like "Up!," "Honey I'm Home," "Love Gets Me Every Time" and "Don't Be Stupid."
Although Twain has the sixth-best-selling album of all time, "Come On Over," and is one of the music industry's biggest stars, she maintains a grounded, almost "aw shucks" attitude during her show. Rather than an elaborate diva costume, Shania walked onto stage wearing jeans, sneakers and a Utah Jazz jersey (Andrei Kirilenko's jersey for those who like to copy her fashion). Her interaction with the crowd amazingly made the sold-out Delta Center almost seem like a club show. Twain took time to sign autographs while singing, shook hands, invited several fans onto the stage (including one exceptionally giddy fan from Alberta who literally kissed Twain's boots) and sang an acoustic version of "The Woman In Me" from Row 20.
Twain's elaborate stage came with every bell, whistle, light and firework found in all major rock shows. Eight video screens circled the stage to give every fan in the house a great view. Her nine-piece band aptly backed her on old favorites like "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?" "(If You're Not In It for Love) I'm Outta Here" and new songs like "Forever and for Always," "I'm Gonna Get You Good!" and "In My Car (I'll Be the Driver)."
The encore started with Twain's big crossover hit "You're Still The One" and closed with "Any Man of Mine" and "Rock This Country!" under a flurry of confetti and fireworks reminiscent of a Jazz playoff victory. Overall, an entertaining and energetic show from a down-to-Earth performer.

E-MAIL: preavy@desnews.com
Old 12-04-2003, 11:54 PM

EXCELLENT!!!!!
Old 12-04-2003, 11:57 PM
Board Administrator

Some critics do have a clue.

-Chris

Old 12-05-2003, 09:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to resessions
Sign me Up! for subscriptions to the Salt Lake Tribune and to the Deseret News! If they write great reviews like this, then they report the news accurately. Kudo's to the writers of those two reviews!!!!!
Old 12-05-2003, 11:00 AM
cross-stitching nut

Now THAT'S a review!!!! We should write to him and thank him. It will be nice to complement someone on their review instead of telling them about all the errors they have made.

"Find Your Self Esteem And Be Forever Free To Dream" - Shania Twain
Old 12-05-2003, 02:07 PM

Shania's a uniter, not a divider

Friday, Friday, December 05, 2003 - 12:00 AM
Doug Fox THE DAILY HERALD

Traditionally, country and pop music audiences have mixed about as well as blue jeans and leather pants, cowboy boots and Nikes, or tins of Skoals and Altoids.

But if Tuesday's crowd at the Delta Center is any indication, it's safe to say that now the Twain have met.

Canadian crossover sensation Shania Twain succeeded in bringing the two camps together -- if only for a night -- in a near sellout performance that saw the Stetson-and-big-belt-buckle crowd hootin' and hollerin' right alongside their wildly cheering backward-ballcap-wearing aislemates.

And that does impress me much.

Twain has been steadily edging away from her country roots with her past two albums -- 1997's monster smash "Come On Over" and the current "Up!" -- and the results have been undeniably stunning. "Come On Over" spawned six hit singles and sold over 34 million copies worldwide while "Up!" has moved 7 million units and counting in the year since its release, the combination of which has made Twain the biggest-selling female solo artist of all time.

In Tuesday's concert, Twain's music was largely weighted toward her more current pop influences, although there were certainly hints of her country background, no doubt sending everyone home happy and humming.

Twain is a definite crowd-pleaser -- a fact born out time and time again during her 1-hour, 50-minute performance. From the in-the-round stage configuration geared to improve intimacy in large arenas to her perpetual autograph signing throughout the show, Twain seemed to connect with her audience on a level most bands never experience.

A case or two in point: On two separate occasions, Twain personally pulled fans up on stage simply because she had noticed their sheer exuberance. The invites were no patronizing "let's-get-this-over-with-as-soon-as-possible" encounters either.

Twain literally spent close to 10 minutes combined during these two informal chats -- which certainly had the potential of being maudlin, fan-gushing affairs and sure momentum killers in the course of a well-paced set.

That was not the case, however, as both conversations were engaging and entertaining, and added spontaneous color to the evening. Even if Twain budgets time into her performances each night for such visits, and there's nothing to suggest she does, they give the illusion of pure spontaneity -- a definite plus for audience members who all secretly want to believe their show is somehow different than every other routine stop in a world tour.

From beginning to end, Twain succeeded in granting that wish.

Twain, sporting an Andrei Kirilenko Jazz jersey and blue jeans, and band ran separately through the audience to open the show with "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!" setting the stage for an evening of hits. Not surprisingly, the set list was dominated by material from Twain's past two albums, including nine songs from "Come on Over" and another seven from "Up!"

In-the-round setups present a few tricky obstacles for performers -- starting with the fact that you can only face one portion of the audience at a time -- but can work wonders when handled well.

Twain's band of nine, certainly helped keep things entertaining when Shania was working one side of the stage or another. The talented group, with individual members trading off between multiple instruments, augmented the proceedings with their good-natured interplay with each other and the audience in a controlled-chaos sort of way.

The raised middle section of the stage featured a trap door of sorts, where Twain and various band members would drop through for breaks and costume changes. After one such breather, Twain, accompanied by Mark Muller on acoustic guitar, reappeared in the middle of the audience where they sat among the fans for a cool rendition of "The Woman in Me (Needs the Man in You)." It was another one of those fan-friendly moves that helped set Twain's show apart.

"That Don't Impress Me Much" and "I'm Gonna Getcha Good" were definite highlights and Twain closed her main set with "(If You're Not in it For Love) I'm Outta Here!" which featured the additional complement of a bevy of local drummers from area marching bands pounding out the backbeat all around the stage.

Twain opened her three-song encore with "You're Still the One." A raucous rendition of "Rock This Country!" proved to be the perfect closer to Twain's show in a way that recognizes and pays tribute to her crossover appeal. The back and forth tradeoffs between electric guitars and violins in the chorus accurately portray Twain's allure for both country and pop audiences.

Even if they still dress differently.

♦ Doug Fox can be reached at 344-2546 or dfox@heraldextra.com.

This story appeared in The Daily Herald on page B2.
http://www.harktheherald.com/module...rticle&sid=8060
Old 12-05-2003, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Re: My review...

Thanks for the review Leon!

Quote:
Obviously missing were FTMO, WYKM, and NONTK though.

That's weird because she did those before in concert this fall...

The review from the Herald is pretty good!