PDA

View Full Version : Shania Concert CD Sales

Knight1
10-14-2003, 07:44 PM
I was wondering if Shania's UP! album is officially being sold at her concerts? Seems to me that this would help her CD sales for people who go to the concert as a non fan and become naturally hooked on Shania from the get go and want to purchase her album. There must be a lot of people who would buy it.
So - those that have been at the concerts - are they being sold?
Thanks

sas
10-14-2003, 08:11 PM
Not that I have seen.... good idea though...

Knight1
10-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Well - that would be amazing if Shania or Mercury are not taking advantage of this opportunity to sell her records - that is one of the benefits of having a concert. I mean Billboard, RIAA and Soundscan do not report on T-Shirt and Ballcap and merchandise sales - Why wouldn't Shania be selling her album at the concert - is this a major Mercury marketing gaff or is there some kind of state / provincial local vendor law against selling your albums at your own concert? I don't know if they were selling the album at the concert that it would make much difference in the chart action but why not do it anyway.

FV
10-14-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Knight1
Well - that would be amazing if Shania or Mercury are not taking advantage of this opportunity to sell her records - that is one of the benefits of having a concert. I mean Billboard, RIAA and Soundscan do not reprot on T-Shirt and Ballcap and merchandise sales - Why wouldn't Shania be selling her album at the concert - is this a major Mercury marketing gaff or is there some kind of state / provincial local vendor law against selling your albums at your own concert? i don't know if they were selling the album at the concert that it would make much difference in the chart action but why not do it anyway.
I totally agree with you....I do not understand myself..I have seen CDs being sold at some concerts, but not at all concerts...I think Mercury or Shania thinks that the fans would simply buy the CD the day after at a music store...but it would be interesting to see whether sales go UP! in a city after a Shania concert...:BL

Jud
10-14-2003, 10:24 PM
Mercury/Universal not even lowered the price for the tour-time.
So for the tour did not pushed up sales int he States, but it did in Canada.

Shania's_Sister
10-15-2003, 04:21 AM
Shania's UP CD Being at Concerts???

Carley

cbspock
10-15-2003, 05:34 AM
There were no CDs on sale at any of the concerts I went to.

-Chris

DOC BILL
10-15-2003, 07:13 AM
I don't understand "No Programs" and "No Albums for Sale" on this tour. Doesn't make sense to me-big lost opportunity and a real negative for her fans! DOC

cbspock
10-15-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by DOC BILL
I don't understand "No Programs" and "No Albums for Sale" on this tour. Doesn't make sense to me-big lost opportunity and a real negative for her fans! DOC

Tour Programs are in the works. Found out the other day!!! Merchandising is behind the curve right now. :( This from a VERY reliable source. As I recall for COO, they weren't selling CDs either.

-Chris

tides24
10-15-2003, 10:00 AM
I remember reading an interview with Bluegrass singer Rhonda Vincent, who's a pretty good businesswoman. She saw to it that every place she played (smaller places than Shania plays) had a soundscan hook-up. She would sell her albums along with tour merchandise, and every one would be scanned and officially counted for the next weeks charts. You would think that Mercury would be as smart as a Bluegrass singer on a small label. No excuse for them not selling albums, or tour programs. How long did they have to get ready? Merchandise was real slim. No keychains, magnets, mugs...Just terrible planning.

cbspock
10-15-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by tides24
I remember reading an interview with Bluegrass singer Rhonda Vincent, who's a pretty good businesswoman. She saw to it that every place she played (smaller places than Shania plays) had a soundscan hook-up. She would sell her albums along with tour merchandise, and every one would be scanned and officially counted for the next weeks charts. You would think that Mercury would be as smart as a Bluegrass singer on a small label. No excuse for them not selling albums, or tour programs. How long did they have to get ready? Merchandise was real slim. No keychains, magnets, mugs...Just terrible planning.

Mercury, smart...same sentence...lol :p

They are being printed. I don't know who was behind the eight ball on this one.

-Chris

Knight1
10-15-2003, 03:21 PM
There is a tried and true precept in closing a sale - and that is if you can get the buyer to want the product or sevice emotionally or logically, you have a sale without having to sell the product or service, assuming money is not a problem. Therefore, Mercury/Shania know that the fans seeing her concert are certainly guaranteed to be emotionally involved in her and the performance. There are guaranteed sales being lost here that her UP! album could use. Even when people have the album already, they may have forgotten to take their own and will buy one or more to get her autograph or as gifts for friends and family. I don't understand the marketing strategy here unless it's just not important to them to sell thousands of more albums on a world tour.

olgap
10-15-2003, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I was quite surprised that the albums weren't being sold at teh concert either, my sister wanted to buy the UP! cd and it wasn't there. Definitely strange and makes no sense to me either.

Olga :) :confused: ;)

Bob
10-16-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by FV
I totally agree with you....I do not understand myself..I have seen CDs being sold at some concerts, but not at all concerts...I think Mercury or Shania thinks that the fans would simply buy the CD the day after at a music store...but it would be interesting to see whether sales go UP! in a city after a Shania concert...:BL

I think they would go up at the concert, but I think the effect would thin out some the next days at stores in the city. When people are as excited as a Shania concert makes them, they want to bottle a little of that feeling and take it home with them. The only sizeable musical performance I remember seeing before Shania's Chicago concert, was a state fair with my favorite Statler Brothers a couple times. They did have their record(s) available for sale, and I was eager to get one.